The placeable walls and auction safes are making the game unplayable in some areas...

After complaining to fellow EC players, I feel that enough of us are having this issue to warrant posting about it.
Back when the placable walls and auction safes were added, I believe I remember hearing that they would not be visible from the outside of the house. That choice was made to prevent what I am about to show you. People have figured out a way to bypass this by using the bamboo floor tiles, and the result is so much lag the game has become unplayable in some areas. I have a decent computer, one which can easily handle anything Ultima Online throws at it... but this? This is getting really bad. 

The longer I play, the worse the lag and black screens become until I inevitably crash. The video here shows what I am talking about. Anytime I stop moving in the video, its a complete lag lockup. Can something be done about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADenk2T6Tbo

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? -Dr. Seuss

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I would definitely support fixing the bamboo tiles to function like the other tile sets which require you to step on the house to load the contents.
  • Or just buy a computer made in the last 10 years.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • Or just buy a computer made in the last 10 years.
    Purchased 4 years ago. Custom built and can play and handle any current game on the market. It's not my computer :( 

Why fit in when you were born to stand out? -Dr. Seuss
  • Giggles said:
    Or just buy a computer made in the last 10 years.
    Purchased 4 years ago. Custom built and can play and handle any current game on the market. It's not my computer :( 

Well it amazes me I don't have this issue at all. Focus on a great processor and a solid video card. Or I have a magic computer I guess. That must be it.
  • Should check your system for packet loss.
  • Should check your system for packet loss.

ummm

nm :D
  • Looked like ya were moving pretty good to me, of course, I'm playing on a Compaq Presario with Vista...and an old AMD processor :p   
  • I feel ya Giggles, same issue here on Siege with houses that have lots of placeable walls etc.
    Very annoying!
  • Probably packet loss if you really do know computers

• BleakBleak Posts: 143Dev
    We are aware of this issue and it will be resolved.
  • Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited February 2019
    Bleak said:
    Thank you for the reply.

Hope this includes the mannequins too?
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited February 2019
    Bleak said:
    What exactly do you see as the problem and how are you resolving it? Are you taking the game back to running on XP? If your going to screw up housing I assume I won't be needing those accounts anymore. I'd like to know exactly what you have planned so I can start moving stuff. Are we still going to be able to display dye tubs, portals and other items for new players so they can see them? Are you going to do something with auction safes so people will see them? Are you going to refund the deco items I purchased from the store now that no one will see them? Cause a couple people have old computers and bad connections? Really? Between this and castle customization I am very near the end.
  • It's not just people with old computers and slow connections.

My computer is definitely not old and my connection speed is 105 MB/s.

Running around some of these monstrosities or through Luna has become ridiculous.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    People who complain about a bug/exploit fix...

This about sums up uo players.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Bleak said:
    @Bleak

Seems the squeaky wheels win again.  Not saying that some displays are not grotesque, but most are tasteful and respectful.  People have been living with it for quite a while, and I highly doubt anyone quits over it when a simple page to a GM can resolve displays that interfere with other player homes.  Yet it is likely players will quit if their hard designed deco cannot be appreciated.

However if the UO Team is set on fixing this.  I would like to know that either safes will still be made visible like vendors are AND/OR searchable like vendors are.  If they can't be seen, they are worthless to most people who own them.

I appreciate your time and thoughtful consideration addressing this issue.  Cheers!
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2019
    Please tell us why you’re cancelling your subscription:

”the exploit I was knowingly abusing with bamboo tiles to disrupt gameplay for fellow users was fixed, before bamboo tiles came along I adhered to normal housing rules and it wasn’t a problem, but now I’m no longer special” 

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited February 2019
    For the majority of UOs existence you could not see inside a house unless you entered it.

Didn't need to be changed.  I don't think it was intended to be changed.  I'm happy it may get fixed.
  • I will take that challenge! I created a guy on Atlantic and ran around Luna. I consider this the "worse area" in the game for what is being described. It's the only area I ever notice a slight problem. So where better to go than the worse area for a test. So I don't know how to make videos. Never did it before. I usually play full screen, which I was doing, but I'm not sure how to capture that. That's the way it captured till I figure it out better. Anyway very minor if any problems. I stopped to turn btw, that's not lag. People... buy a computer. We shouldn't screw up the game over some out dated systems out there. My computer is mid level at best and cost like 800 dollars a few years ago. Get a solid processor and video card. I'm just trying to show people it's not the game. Maybe it will help them address their computer issues.  

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I will take that challenge! I created a guy on Atlantic and ran around Luna. I consider this the "worse area" in the game for what is being described. It's the only area I ever notice a slight problem. So where better to go than the worse area for a test. So I don't know how to make videos. Never did it before. I usually play full screen, which I was doing, but I'm not sure how to capture that. That's the way it captured till I figure it out better. Anyway very minor if any problems. I stopped to turn btw, that's not lag. People... buy a computer. We shouldn't screw up the game over some out dated systems out there. My computer is mid level at best and cost like 800 dollars a few years ago. Get a solid processor and video card. I'm just trying to show people it's not the game. Maybe it will help them address their computer issues.  

They are using EC in the OP.  I can run 3 accounts around Luna and have no issues in CC.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I am happy as well....I have a good computer and don't lag until I am near a house with tons of stuff in/on it. The bamboo tiles, while nice for displaying things for sale inside your house, are very annoying. People put vendors/portals on their steps for people to see....or stairs...those work too.

Left is before going in, right is after....and I know stairs can be awkward...and maybe now that I've shown this Bleak will fix this too lol....but I'll just move stuff to the front steps like we've always done. No you won't be able to display a house full of stuff.....just put the most important stuff on the steps.

• Put everything on your steps... *shakes head*
    Mervyn said:

The item has worked this way since it was introduced.  How is this an exploit?  Using the items in the game as they were created is exploiting now?

This game stays online because most accounts are paid monthly for deco and houses.  You make those people quit and there will be no devs left to make your Fel shard.
  • Pawain said:
    I will take that challenge! I created a guy on Atlantic and ran around Luna. I consider this the "worse area" in the game for what is being described. It's the only area I ever notice a slight problem. So where better to go than the worse area for a test. So I don't know how to make videos. Never did it before. I usually play full screen, which I was doing, but I'm not sure how to capture that. That's the way it captured till I figure it out better. Anyway very minor if any problems. I stopped to turn btw, that's not lag. People... buy a computer. We shouldn't screw up the game over some out dated systems out there. My computer is mid level at best and cost like 800 dollars a few years ago. Get a solid processor and video card. I'm just trying to show people it's not the game. Maybe it will help them address their computer issues.  

They are using EC in the OP.  I can run 3 accounts around Luna and have no issues in CC.
    Use a better client lol
  • Pawain said:
    Mervyn said:

The item has worked this way since it was introduced.  How is this an exploit?  Using the items in the game as they were created is exploiting now?

This game stays online because most accounts are paid monthly for deco and houses.  You make those people quit and there will be no devs left to make your Fel shard.

When people find out their vendor houses got trashed we will be hearing about it lol
  • I keep thinking how ugly everything is going to look. It would be a really sad day in UO history.
  • Everything inside a house naturally doesn't need to load. The outside/roof/yard is a totally different story. Yes I'm fired up lol
    I dont like the way the Luna house items are in the sidewalks but just because I dont like something, the other players should be able to do what they want if it does not harm my play style.

Fix  the problem in Enhanced client.  There is not lag in CC.
  • Now if this were a dungeon or something I see a complaint. But housing areas are almost always 100% safe areas. Not going to get into the rare obscure Fel situation. Lagging a little in a 100% safe area really is not a big deal if one totally refuses to buy a computer. These people don't want to see the houses anyway. Just run on through lol. They're complaining about seeing the house they don't even wanna see in the first place. I've never been threatened by anything in a housing area. It's not worth trashing the game over. What next? People will be mad cause they can't play on their phones or tablets?
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I only play the CC and I lag...ONLY when I am near a house with tons of stuff showing...or at EM events :/ lol....no I correct that...at EM DROP events...worse at EM events but if I run around luna on ATL for longer then 5 minutes I start to lag and it gradually gets worse.

It does harm my play style because if I want to shop in Luna...especially on Atlantic, I can't due to the number of very..in my opinion...unsightly homes that make me so laggy I don't bother shopping....so people are losing out on my gold because of it. No I don't like using vendor search that often, it's my play style.

• Exploit? Give me a break. First of all this goes WAY back. Do you really think they made 100s of tiles then suddenly just screwed up on some bamboo tiles? I don't think so. I wished they listened to EVERY player like those who have a complaint  about having a custom castle plot as opposed to 3 or 4 people with complaints I personally find unjustified considering the number this would severely restrict. All the small shards are complaining about issues with sales so lets just make that situation REALLY bad. Why run around in circles trying to get a house to load you don't want to see anyway? That's just silly. Just move along lol