Spellbook strap still broken

Comments

• ElvisElvis Posts: 53
    +1 for auto scavenge backpack spellbooks into strap
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2023
    "i can't say i've ever looted a spellbook...maybe one time i take the one from neira's corpse as it has full necro spells,
    where you looting spellbooks from?"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Several posts have been removed, and in light of information from @Arroth_Thaiel I have moved it from bugs to general discussion.
    It would seem that at current time items unequipped from the paper doll cannot be returned to a sub-container in either client, be it the spellbook strap, or merely a lower level backpack.

I have a small request, would someone who has one of these items, and plays in EC ascertain whether the 'restock' agent could be used to re-file these books in a similar way to the example here: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/agents-settings-in-the-enhanced-client/#restock using the agent to feed a pet.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Yoshi said:
    "I actually don't have one, i haven't thought of a use for it,
    all the spellbooks i carry in my bag that i don't use - i stack ontop of each other so they don't take up any space,
    all the slayer books i use are color coded and go to one side of my backpack, so them being in another bag i can't see assisting. "

I would like to hear more about how you stack your spellbooks on top of each other in your pack, and then you retrieve one of the ones in the middle of the stack, that's a neat trick.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 209
    edited May 2023
    Mariah said:
    Several posts have been removed, and in light of information from @ Arroth_Thaiel I have moved it from bugs to general discussion.
    It would seem that at current time items unequipped from the paper doll cannot be returned to a sub-container in either client, be it the spellbook strap, or merely a lower level backpack.

I have a small request, would someone who has one of these items, and plays in EC ascertain whether the 'restock' agent could be used to re-file these books in a similar way to the example here: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/agents-settings-in-the-enhanced-client/#restock using the agent to feed a pet.

Most of my spellbooks goes back to the spellbook strap, just my goblin slayer book and after tested it all of my 50 sdi books that doesn't. This is using cc and equip last weapon macro, I can switch between last two books and both go back into the strap as long as it isn't my goblin slayer or a 50 sdi book.
    Also tested necro book and it worked, spellweaving book and it worked but then mastery book didn't work.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Thanks for a detailed description on the 2 book types that do not return to the strap. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • ElvisElvis Posts: 53
    it works some books but not drogeni's spellbook or juo'nar's grimoire
    Yoshi said:
    "I actually don't have one, i haven't thought of a use for it,
    all the spellbooks i carry in my bag that i don't use - i stack ontop of each other so they don't take up any space,
    all the slayer books i use are color coded and go to one side of my backpack, so them being in another bag i can't see assisting. "

I would like to hear more about how you stack your spellbooks on top of each other in your pack, and then you retrieve one of the ones in the middle of the stack, that's a neat trick.
    "please read, i said the books that i don't use i stack ontop of each other, that i have to carry EG bushido book, mastery book, spellweaving book, and normal spellbook, i don't use as any spell i need to cast is already assigned a macro.

I have since claimed a strap for testing purposes, couldn't get any of the books i use to return to it.

But it's not an issue, if i have to arm a book urgently, i have a macro for it..."
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,679
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:
    You have been saying the bookstrap is broken for how many years now?

But, it works as intended.   :D
    No it doesn't. do bandages fall out of if the belt when used? Do arrows fall out of the quiver? 
    Your books fall out? 

I think you are confusing you taking a book out and equipping it with falling out.

Which of the 4 things a strap does is not working? 

It does all 4 things it says it will do. You just want it to do more. So, that is not a bug. Nor  is it broken.
    the notes you posted above, doesn't say that the books will go back into the strap.
    But those that actually use it, know that the books go back into the strap
    after use, except for a few. 

It was intended for it to hold the books. those few just don't want to cooperate.
    And I don't think its unreasonable to expect it to work right.

We shouldn't have to figure out how to fix it either.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Yes the items description does not say they will go back into the strap once you remove them. And only 2 books do not according to a poster above. 

Kinda like arrows that do not go back into your quiver after you recover them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2023
    When things are around for too long, people forgot that it is a problem and they start to look at the product description TODAY. 

And there are so many threads, some where moderators closed for no good reason but just to say "yeah we have heard enough, next".

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/73197/
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10406/straps-still-broken
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/8937/spellbooks-not-going-back-into-strap

But, right from the day it was in the test centre, I personally tested and feedback to the Dev and I recalled this problem was supposed to be fixed but it did not. 

Who would bother about wasting any more time to test anymore, when the Dev don't read this forum or even care to fix?

Where is the QA who promised to help? What is this forum for?

Bugs are always design as intended in Ultima Online.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,002
    Despite it being well documented by multiple people there are posters who will discredit and sidetrack threads 
    edited May 2023
    @Cinderella and @Chrille what client are you using and how are you swapping weapons?
    as in CC I was unable to get a single book to go back into the strap, under any circumstance.

It’s why I figured it was not an intended function”
    Yoshi said:
    “ @ Cinderella what client are you using and how are you swapping weapons?
    as in CC I was unable to get a single book to go back into the strap, under any circumstance.”
    ForeverFun clearly spelled out what the issue was 
  • Estel_RandirEstel_Randir Posts: 189
    edited May 2023
    Yoshi said:
    “ .....as in CC I was unable to get a single book to go back into the strap, under any circumstance.”

In CC I tested a few books. And it works for me. I placed all my spellbooks in the strap, made 4 arm macro's for 4 different books (50 sdi invasion book, Undead Slayer invasion book, Demon Slayer invasion book, Elemental Slayer invasion book). When I used the arm macro for each of the 4 books, it would place the spell book that was in my hand back into the strap in a random location.

Using UOAssist arm/disarm macros will not return a spellbook back to the strap.

Also use last weapon will also place the book in hand back into the strap.
    edited May 2023
    Chrille said:

Most of my spellbooks goes back to the spellbook strap, just my goblin slayer book and after tested it all of my 50 sdi books that doesn't.
    So it is not consistent between players what book will or will not go back into the strap. In CC, my 50 sdi book will go back into the strap using either the arm macros or use last weapon macro. My 50 sdi book was gotten in the last town invasion (2020 I think?). When was yours obtained?
    edited May 2023
    "that's odd, on CC,
    I have a 49% sdi invasion spellbook, a 27% sdi dragon slayer invasion spellbook, a 25% bird slayer invasion spellbook, and a normal non invasion 8% spider slayer spellbook,
    Cannot get a single book to go back into strap using ingame arm macro..
    or uoassist arm macro..
    or EquipLastWeap macro...

let me try another char that actually has more books"
    edited May 2023
    "nope, another char
    even more invasion slayers: undead, fey, vermin, demon, spider, dragon
    relvinians 50% sdi book too

tried with left hand free or wearing a shield, tried with strap open or closed, can't get any book to return in there"
    edited May 2023
    Yoshi, stupid question maybe, but are you placing the spellbooks in the strap before trying to arm them? They have to start in the strap. That is the only logical reason I can think of that not a single one is going into the strap.
    edited May 2023
    "yes put them all in strap first,
    tried switching between spellbook to spellbook, spellbook to weapon, spellbook to empty hand,
    all drop in main backpack
    even tried changing backpack from polar bearskin to classic

tried doing it in trammel even too"
    "you can show vid of it working on CC? so i can see if there is something you have that i don't or i have that you don't"
    It'd be nice for the developers to offer some comment
    edited May 2023
    Nothing really to show.
    1) Placed all spellbooks in strap.
    2) Made a record arm macro for each book (up to 4 separate books). It's a one line macro: RecordArm on left side, RecordArm1 2, 3, or 4 on the right side.
    3) Placed a different spellbook in my characters hand for each RecordArm macro and then used each macro to save up to 4 different books (one macro per book). For example: RecordArm1 was 50sdi book, RecordArm2 was Undead Slayer, RecordArm3 was Demon Slayer, RecordArm4 was Elemental Slayer.
    4) Made an arm macro for each book. It's a one line macro: Arm on left side, Arm 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the right side.
    5) Cycle through the Arm1, 2, 3, or 4 macros to change books.

Do not use command keys like Insert, End, Home, Pageup, Pagedown.
    edited May 2023
    Nothing really to show.

"there are probably about 1000 things to show from a video,
    the types of book, if they're dyed, the race of char, the sex of char, other items in backpack, if your char is in VvV, or any guild,  where you are, if you're blue/red, stuff you're wearing..

as i have already followed the steps youl listed, i can only assume there are other mitigating circumstances"

"

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 796
    edited May 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Despite it being well documented by multiple people there are posters who will discredit and sidetrack threads 
    Has happened with issues that are imho very serious (pet deletion...).
    Grimbeard said:
    Yoshi said:
    “ @ Cinderella what client are you using and how are you swapping weapons?
    as in CC I was unable to get a single book to go back into the strap, under any circumstance.”
    ForeverFun clearly spelled out what the issue was 

Keep in mind what I posted about may well be specific to EC.  I don't think CC has the notion of slotIDs, and instead appears to track pixel/X/Y item locations.

Most of the recent replies on this topic appear to be testing CC, which probably has more variations (repro complexity) to consider.  If somebody wants to loan me a strap for some EC experiments, PM me.
    “Can have mine, can keep it”
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    What other bugs are there in the game? can we create a definitive list?
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    The Runebook Strap is a little annoying; because it's limited to 25 items, once you put 25 runebooks inside you can no longer drop a rune directly into a particular book. The book has to be removed, rune added, replaced in the strap. Annoying, clearly untested coding, but not a game breaker.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Go argue with yourself.
    The Runebook Strap is a little annoying; because it's limited to 25 items, once you put 25 runebooks inside you can no longer drop a rune directly into a particular book. The book has to be removed, rune added, replaced in the strap. Annoying, clearly untested coding, but not a game breaker.

This is an ancient bug of UO. Fill your bank or backpack to the max item limit, then try to add one stackable item into an existing stack that is already in your bank / backpack. You get the bank / backpack is full warning. They fixed this several times in the past to allow you to place additional items into a stack of a full container only for it to break again. The current broken state has been going for what 10+yrs now.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,390
     ^^^ and has caused some exploits as well ^^^