Endless Journey, how about a new Fel beginning

Comments

• Lieutenant_DanLieutenant_Dan Posts: 195
    edited April 2018
    The problem with Siege is it's outdated.  
    Siege was a great concept and worked well at it's inception in 1999.  Granted back then even the production shards didnt have insurance.  Since then the game has evolved many times over becoming an item based game while leaving Seige on the back burner.  Some prefer it that way and i would too if  Siege never got all the items introduced over the years.  For me it's pointless to play an item based game when you can't use the items.  Thats why I've always been an advocate of a fel ruleset shard with item insurance.

• PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    Get over it.  The people who want to play Fel already do.  That playstyle is long dead and nobody is interested. 
  • crunchnastycrunchnasty Posts: 241
    I'm interested in fel rulesets, so theres at least one person here.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Mervyn said:
    Oh so you’d rather they spend time making multicoloured unicorns than get more subscribers by spending 3 and half mins to open a new shard? 
    Yeah makes sense 
    Total speculation on bring even 1 new player back with zero proof that it would even happen.  
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Mervyn said:
    Oh so you’d rather they spend time making multicoloured unicorns than get more subscribers by spending 3 and half mins to open a new shard? 
    Yeah makes sense 
    *Picard facepalm emoji*

This wouldn't take three minutes, more like three weeks, or more likely, months...and then they'd have to maintain yet another special ruleset shard.  They can barely keep up with the ones they have now!

Creating a fel only shard wouldn't be much different from any other production shard as far as economy or resource gathering, aside from the constant background possibility of getting PKed. (a possibility the majority of UO players have already expressed no interest in)

Saying that it would bring in old players is just talking out your behind. The "classic shard" horse has been beaten to atoms over the years. A lot of spurious claims are made of a renaissance of vet players, but none of that can be backed up by actual data.  Which is what EA would need to even consider allowing BS to expend additional resources on any such a venture. Your say-so won't cut it.

I'd much rather BS concentrate on making existing UO better, before they even bothered to consider pursuing an untamed ornithoid without cause.
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    edited April 2018
    If this new shard were to have 10 people, it would have a higher population than some of the dead shards. Then it would be a success
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    I'm interested in fel rulesets, so theres at least one person here.
    And, AAMOF, you already have Fel to play with/in, so, what was the question again? :D ;)
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Nope you are wrong. Siege and Mugen are the offer for thoose guys.
    What he said. 

Shard merging would be good for some shards but how to go about doing it since houses are the main issue there.  Be battle of the who owned what in that spot first...or something lol.   Can merge it so towns/cites are fuller but that doesnt fix it once you are out of the city limits.  
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208

This wouldn't take three minutes, more like three weeks, or more likely, months...and then they'd have to maintain yet another special ruleset shard.  They can barely keep up with the ones they have now!

Who said anything about creating a special ruleset? The fel ruleset is already there, and surely the shard would be easier to maintain than prodo shards as there would be only 1 ruleset instead of 2...

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Mervyn said:

Who said anything about creating a special ruleset? The fel ruleset is already there, and surely the shard would be easier to maintain than prodo shards as there would be only 1 ruleset instead of 2...

Please make this.  Siege is not the same.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,388
    cobb said:
    If this new shard were to have 10 people, it would have a higher population than some of the dead shards. Then it would be a success
     :D 
  • InLorInLor Posts: 398
    I like Felucca and many vets who want to return now that EJ is coming are also interested.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Mervyn said:

A Fel-only server, which included all the content of Fel & Tram on one map, would be, by definition, a special ruleset server. This is because the devs would need to maintain, at the very least, a special map file (though they can likely be able to reuse the Siege map for such a shard).

At any rate, we have two Fel-only "hard" shards. They have virtually no population. We don't need a third. 
    “Would need to maintain” IF the shard was a massive flop which the current sour grapes carebear player base want (which we all know it wouldn’t be with a new better clientel) They wouldn’t bother “maintaining” anything. 

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited May 2018
    Any new, non transferable shard would be an instant reset of gold/duped items. So players won't have billions and would be free of duped items.

With EJ and countless pirate shards running such a ruleset, I'd say there is definitely a lot of interest.
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    With all the dead shards I'm sure the Devs could make one(or two for east/west sides) into a fel only ruleset.  It might prove popular at first but I think it would just end up the way most shards are now.  Dead.
    Dead shards should be archived at the very least anyway.
  • Build it and they will come

• I like this idea. A fresh shard that cannot have xfers and doesn't have a destroyed economy. Plus Fel Ruleset everywhere and Item Insurance. That would be bad ass I think it would become popular.
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    A shard with all Fel ruleset should probably not have housing areas in guard zone (i.e., no housing plots in Magincia).
    I have no idea why you would want to restrict housing to non guard zones. Please explain further. 

edited August 2018
    Please do not go live with a new non transferable shard if there is an active duping exploit. Would COMPLETELY ruin the economy.

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    edited August 2018

Don't know how I even missed this thread.

Think it was because I was leading a crusade on Stratics for exactly the same thing, and saying exactly the same stuff. I think I was allowing Mervyn to run this one without interference from me, as I represent the opposite to him in gameplay.

May as well put my name to this one as well - this is an obvious must have for me.

I believe in this concept for UO.

(I also believe if they had to close/convert some shards to make this happen, that would be a fair trade).

I personally, am happy enough now, on Siege, or Europa, I can get a mix of styles, but this would be a really positive game addition, I think Margrette made the perfect post detailing ALL the differences between Siege, and a current day Felucca shard.

Edit - @Mariah ; - I think Margrette's post is so good, that list should be up on UO.com somewhere if it isn't already - as the definitive list of differences between Siege and Production shards, it's a really useful list to have, and would have been useful to me when I started Siege.

I can add a number 31 - There are no Cursed Item drops (as everything is uninsurable anyway), but to compensate, 50 Stone weight items, and Strength requirement 125 item drops are far more common negative properties.

edited August 2018
    I think you have more popularity than me cookie however it’s not about personality, its about what is best for the game. Jimmy Savile ran a lot of marathons for charity, doesn’t mean running marathons for charity a bad thing.

please link to Margrette’s post. 

edited August 2018
    Margrette said:
    Bilbo said:
    I thought Siege had all the land masses that prodo shards do only they are all Fel ruleset.  Just copy Siege and allow insurance and do not give them anything else and lets see how many people go there.
    No, Siege is missing the "Trammel" land mass.  (Mugen has it, however.)

There are other differences between Siege/Mugen and other shards.  To name just a few:
    1. You can only have one character per account.
    2. Nothing is insurable. You can "Siege bless" one item and use clothing bless deeds on clothing items that don't have magical properties.
    3. Crafted spellbooks are not blessed.  However, there are some "event" spellbooks with mods on them that are inexplicably blessed.
    4. NPCs don't do skill training.
    5. Mugen has the newbie character quests and accelerated skill gain area in Haven; Siege does not.
    6. Items purchased from NPCs cost 3X what they cost on other shards.
    7. Many items you can purchase from NPCs in lots up to 500 on other shards and at an increasing cost (e.g., small gems) can only be purchased on Siege/Mugen in smaller quantities, starting at 20 and doubling over time as they refill up to a maximum of 1000.  
    8. NPCs don't buy items from players.
    9. You can't recall or use sacred journey spells.
    10. You can't inviz yourself when using the taming skill.
    11. Telekinesis spell won't open locked containers.
    12. Failing to place a trap causes more damage than on other shards.
    13. Tools like scissors, axes used for cutting lumber, bladed weapons used for cutting leather or kindling, crooks used for herding, and fishing poles have a limited number of uses before they disappear.
    14. Arms lore skill gives a greater bonus to resists on exceptionally crafted armor and to damage increase on weapons than on other shards.
    15. There's no passive detect hidden.
    16. The Rate over Time system applies to skill gains past 70.0.  There is a cap (can't remember what it is) on stat gains per day.
    17. Aggressive dark wisps inhabit forested areas.
    18. The Underworld entrance is in the daemon temple and there is no volcano on the Isle of Fire.
    19. I don't think there's any equivalent to the Haven mine on Siege.
    20. You can't character copy a character on Siege or Mugen to Test Center.
    21. You can't transfer a character from Siege or Mugen to any other shard (including NO transfers between Siege and Mugen).
    22. There are no double resources for gathering resources anywhere on Siege or Mugen.
    23. I'm not sure where you fish on Siege for yellowtail barracuda.
    24. Push-through applies on the whole shard.
    25. Non-consensual PvP applies on the whole shard.
    26. If you want to train bushido skill, you'll need jewelry with bushido skill on it to even start unless you set it as one of your starting skills because there are no low-level bushido moves and you can't train it from an NPC.
    27. I believe characters created with the "paladin" template on Siege start on Ocllo and there is no way for them to get off the island on their own.
    28. I believe there are no artifact or equipment rewards available on Siege or Mugen if your character is in Vice vs. Virtue.
    29. Exceptionally-crafted tools have more uses than on other shards.
    30. NPCs don't sell cloth or bandages.

This one. Really useful for someone going from Production to Siege, I ran into almost every single one of these.

31 - There are no Cursed Item drops (as everything is uninsurable anyway), but to compensate, 50 Stone weight items, and Strength requirement 125 item drops are far more common negative properties.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,975Moderator
    This is the current information we have on Siege Perilous: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/siege-perilous/

edited August 2018

Ahh nice one, thanks for replying Mariah. :)

You almost win, but I do think there are some additional points in the above list, the Bushido training one(26), or the Paladin starter skill (27), would both catch a player out completely. (I almost had to delete a character, and wait 3 days to create a new one, highly frustrating - if Tjalle had not helped me out).

One thing I'd like to mention about the uo.com wiki, and the reason I always need to ask for guidance on what is there or not - is I really struggle with the index system.

I've been with uoguide.com for the last god knows how many years, and I find things really easy to find on there. Whilst you have got many good in-depth articles on uo.com wiki - I really struggle to find, or reference them.

Is there anything you can do, to improve the Index, or the Search options?

Hard to explain my exact problem, but I really struggle to find stuff.

Another Edit - I've just had another look at your Index, and can see it is developing all the time.

• QuintusQuintus Posts: 16
    Mervyn,

Ive been playing this game since 1997. Ive taken time off here and there but lastly got back into the game in 2011 and have been a continued member of the UO society since. Being that Im this old I have seen the game go through so many changes over the years and I cannot express how much I enjoy being able to login every time I play and see the same worlds and towns for so many years. Nostalgia and just shear enjoyment of it all.

Though I agree that the economy has gotten grossly out of hand and needs fixed, what you're suggesting is simply a bad idea. You're idea is more or less to take the game back to 1997 rules. That wasnt a good time and drove players away from the game. Thats why they setup Trammel to begin with. A safe zone was needed. You'd be out mining with no defensive skills but have to fight off some archer PK that wanted to be a murderer. It wasnt good and wouldnt bring anyone back to the game.

What would increase the population of the game for all shards is advertising. Thats really it. Basic, annoying, in your face advertising. Startup apps do it, UO should doo. Though I doubt EA will allow funds for it.

Thanks for the comment and suggestion. It contributes to the UO community that I love so much!
    edited August 2018
    Quintus,

In a way it's unfortunate that this post is actually on the uoforums, because it's not for current UO players like yourself. Forgive me if this sounds rude but it doesn't actually matter if you or EVERYONE here thinks it's a TERRIBLE idea. Because it's not going to affect you and alike, this is to attract new players, and should not affect current players. If it doesn't attract ANY new players at all, there are no negatives.

It's like bashing Tranquilllo for his development for a new map, if you don't like it, don't use it, having ADDITIONAL features/options is not going to harm anyone.