Pub 105 - Treasure Map Update Release 2 [General Discussion & Questions]

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,772
    Please no puzzles on treasure chests.  They are OK for the training boxes and stationary chests in dungeons. But not on treasure chests.
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    TimSt said:
    Please no puzzles on treasure chests.  They are OK for the training boxes and stationary chests in dungeons. But not on treasure chests.
    Why ruin the dungeon chests too with putting puzzles on them?  A lot of people use them to train lockpicking once you hit 92.0 lockpicking and can't gain off player-made boxes and they get a small amount of gold in the process.  Put puzzles on those chests and most people won't do them and will just not bother trying to get the loot that made the tedious training at least have some amount of a payoff.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,013
    edited May 2019

Aww, everyone is so negative.

Couldn't keep myself from it, so I ended up doing a hoard map just for the puzzle. I thought it was a nice little addition.

With the hoard map I got 9 wearable items. (2 Major Artifacts, 1 lesser, the rest magic items.) However, it was a Mage's Hoard, and 5 of the items were leather armor, 3 were staves, 1 was a bracelet. That is pretty good loot distribution for a Mage chest. All were items a mage could actually use.

However, I was in Tokuno, and none of the 9 items were Tokuno style. :(

-Arroth
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,896
    Margrette said:
    Kyronix said:
    Thanks for the feedback. Originally the special material crafting category was spread among 3 packages, however feedback was that since they were crafting items they should be in the artisan chest, hence the change. There are literally 10s of thousands of maps in existence that will have a chance to become Artisan maps. This also offers incentive to harvest maps from Ter Mur to target these items, which gives value to the landmass.
    Unfortunately, there aren't many things in Ter Mur that drop expertly or adeptly drawn maps, so I doubt there are going to be very many Ter Mur Artisan Supply maps.  You would have the numbers, though.   :)

However, I never did figure out what would have dropped a plainly drawn map in Ter Mur, so I guess it's good you went with the Supply level after all! 

"Unfortunately, there aren't many things in Ter Mur that drop expertly or adeptly drawn maps, so I doubt there are going to be very many Ter Mur Artisan Supply maps."

Then, probably, the solution is to maintain crafting resources with Artisans' Maps BUT, increase the number of Creatures in Ter Mur that spawn them ?

And, perhaps, also the "likeliness" of an Artisan Map to spawn on that given creature's loot ?

That is, make them more likely available....
    edited May 2019
    ZekeTerra said:
    Just did 2 Hoard chests and yes you have to solve a puzzle to remove the trap.  I for one am not a big fan of puzzles so this change may make me hang up my t-hunter.  All we really asked was for a bump in loot and lower the number of junk items in chests.  I'm pretty depressed about the new changes.  I REALLY HATE PUZZLES and don't do any of the puzzle quests.  I enjoyed my t-hunter but this will put an end to that.  BTW at GM Carto I didn't see a single clue appear either.
    Puzzles to be solved to Remove a Trap in the Treasure Chest I see it, instead, as a WONDERFULL and great addition.

It only needs to get used to it.

With practise, players will get the hang of it and become good at solving puzzles, I need to imagine....

I have a suggestion for @Kyronix ; ....

What if you "tie" the complexity and solving of the puzzle with having less to no Guardians for the Chest besides the quantity/quality of the loot inside ?

Let me explain my logic here....

So far, Treasure Hunting has been strictly connected with fighting.

No ability to fight, no chance to enjoy the contents of the Treasure Chest....

What if, considering that, in reality, Treasure Hunting not necessarily should require, mandatorily, combat, there was a chance, by being able to remove the trap by solving a Puzzle, this would make it possible to enjoy the content of the Treasure Chest without having to necessarily have to engage in combat ?

That is, trade violence for ingenuity to have access to the Chest's content, at least, in a number of instances ......

Just a thought...
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,772
    Margrette said:
    TimSt said:
    Why ruin the dungeon chests too with putting puzzles on them?  A lot of people use them to train lockpicking once you hit 92.0 lockpicking and can't gain off player-made boxes and they get a small amount of gold in the process.  Put puzzles on those chests and most people won't do them and will just not bother trying to get the loot that made the tedious training at least have some amount of a payoff.
    Sorry, I was referring to the puzzle box chests like those in Khaldun and not the normal dungeon chests.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I don't want to be forced to do puzzles, it's not fun for me.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    jaytin said:
    I don't want to be forced to do puzzles, it's not fun for me.
    “Forced”??

i like the puzzle chests. But can you make them a bit more difficult to solve?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• My heart sank into my shoes when I read about puzzles. Anything, but please not that...  :s
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Puzzle chests is no go for me. Not sure why this is being included. Who asked for it? Upgrade the loot and make less of it is what I heard. Don't over think stuff....

Aww, everyone is so negative.

Couldn't keep myself from it, so I ended up doing a hoard map just for the puzzle. I thought it was a nice little addition.

With the hoard map I got 9 wearable items. (2 Major Artifacts, 1 lesser, the rest magic items.) However, it was a Mage's Hoard, and 5 of the items were leather armor, 3 were staves, 1 was a bracelet. That is pretty good loot distribution for a Mage chest. All were items a mage could actually use.

However, I was in Tokuno, and none of the 9 items were Tokuno style. :(

Did the staves have spell channeling?
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    It's always overthought.  No idea why all this was even thought to be necessary.  People cry about small teams and lack of coding time, then when someone asks for a loot upgrade we get all this.  smh

Just another brick...
    edited May 2019
    @Kyronix, is there any benefit still for using skeleton keys?
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,108Dev
    edited May 2019
    Two things to keep in mind...
    The Puzzle traps are only part of Lvl 4 & 5 chests, which have been designated for group play.

Lvl 3 chests do not use a puzzle trap, and are designated for solo play.  Everything you can get in a Lvl 4 and 5 you can get in a Lvl 3 - including the same quality of magical equipment.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    So does the whole group help with the puzzle?
    edited May 2019
    jaytin said:
    The whole group helps with the entire encounter. Puzzles may not be fun for you, however, someone else in your group may find them exciting. That is the intention of group play - to divide up actions to those who enjoy doing them most for the overall gain of the group. Not every character (or player) can be or will be good at everything. This is why the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Kyronix said:
    Two things to keep in mind...
    The Puzzle traps are only part of Lvl 4 & 5 chests, which have been designated for group play.

Lvl 3 chests do not use a puzzle trap, and are designated for solo play.  Everything you can get in a Lvl 4 and 5 you can get in a Lvl 3 - including the same quality of magical equipment.

I do lvl 6 and 7 now solo. Its a challenge. Will your new lvl 3 be the same challenge as a 4 and 5 for solo? I somehow doubt it! How many will treasure hunt as a group?? You say the new lvl 3 will have the same quality as the 4 and 5s, but what about quantity? Guardians? Overall um, fun? 

Kill your puzzles and your back on track.

Kyronix said:
    jaytin said:
    The whole group helps with the entire encounter. Puzzles may not be fun for you, however, someone else in your group may find them exciting. That is the intention of group play - to divide up actions to those who enjoy doing them most for the overall gain of the group. Not every character (or player) can be or will be good at everything. This is why the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

@Kyronix, are you saying that another character standing at the unlocked chest with the character that unlocked the chest and presumably decoded and holds the map will be able to see the puzzle and solve it?  If yes, does that other character have to be partied with the character that unlocked the chest and/or with the character that owns the map?  If yes, does the map-solving character have to have remove trap skill to get through the map?  Is it possible for the map owner, the chest unlocker, and the puzzle solver to be three separate characters?
    edited May 2019
    @Kyronix, how long will we have to solve the various puzzles and how long are the failure timeouts mentioned in the publish notes?  How long will an unlocked chest with an unsolved puzzle stick around if it is taking a long time to solve the puzzle?  

Also, what's the priority for destroying an item in the chest if you bungle the puzzle-solving?  What goes poof first--gold/gems, random equipment, t-map, power scroll, deco item, the new equipment (skull longsword or staff or octopus necklace)?

Also, will the new legendary cartography glasses only spawn in Supply-level chests?
  • ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    If I want to do Puzzles i'd go to Khaldun, oh wait they were turned off (broken) after Halloween.  Soloing Level 6's have always been fun for me to do when none of my friends are on or when I just want to go off by myself.  Level 1-5's were  not challenging at all and I only do L5's in Fel to get pinks and to maybe get a Fel 6.  I've done a few Hoard ones last night and again this morning and it's no longer fun.  I dig up the chest, kill the spawn (still a little challenging), then pick the lock and then the fun ends.  All we asked for was a loot upgrade and to remove so much trash loot that spawned.  Instead now we get 9 items, of which most if not all are still junk.  I had 2400+ luck on my suit with crappy resists and so when I failed to do the puzzle in time the explosion killed me (twice).  I don't agree that Hoards are GROUP activities, at least not Fel or Tram ones and people "helping" will be bored.  I enjoy doing group activities with my friends but t-hunting was not one of them.  We still do Peerless, the Roof and other real Group required activities.  I've enjoyed the changes you made to Pirating but I think you missed the boat on this one.
    edited May 2019
    @Margrette - Only the player who digs up the chest can unlock, untrap the chest.  There is only 1 treausre hunter per chest.  The timeout only applies to the slider trap, the time is based on your Remove Trap skill and displayed when you initiate the sequence.  The time will no doubt require some balancing.  A random object is destroyed when destruction is triggered.  Minor artifacts only spawn in supply level chests per the publish notes.
    ZekeTerra said:
    If I want to do Puzzles i'd go to Khaldun, oh wait they were turned off (broken) after Halloween.  Soloing Level 6's have always been fun for me to do when none of my friends are on or when I just want to go off by myself.  Level 1-5's were  not challenging at all and I only do L5's in Fel to get pinks and to maybe get a Fel 6.  I've done a few Hoard ones last night and again this morning and it's no longer fun.  I dig up the chest, kill the spawn (still a little challenging), then pick the lock and then the fun ends.  All we asked for was a loot upgrade and to remove so much trash loot that spawned.  Instead now we get 9 items, of which most if not all are still junk.  I had 2400+ luck on my suit with crappy resists and so when I failed to do the puzzle in time the explosion killed me (twice).  I don't agree that Hoards are GROUP activities, at least not Fel or Tram ones and people "helping" will be bored.  I enjoy doing group activities with my friends but t-hunting was not one of them.  We still do Peerless, the Roof and other real Group required activities.  I've enjoyed the changes you made to Pirating but I think you missed the boat on this one.
    How much time have you spent on TC1 with the latest release?
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,318
    I dug my first Trove since the update this morning. I think I need more puzzle practice. When I opened the chest it was totally empty.
    edited May 2019
    @Kyronix, will using telekinesis spell on a trapped Horde or Trove chest destroy any of the contents?  While someone is muddling through a puzzle, could a griefer come along and destroy the chest by casting telekinesis on it?
    @Kyronix an hour last night and an hour this morning.  3 chests each time, fresh from the stone in Tram.  Only difference I noticed was that I got gold chests in my luck suit and reg ones in my normal suit.  I did 2 mage ones and I was expecting a bag of reagents but got bags of gems (could be I misread the pub notes).  
    BTW, I miss the little green bag with the Arti in it.  All 6 were former L6's which included the Artifact.  Also, not one pink, blue, mana phasing orb, or ANY of the normal items you get when you do level 6 maps on production.
    edited May 2019
    @Kyronix, just used magic untrap spell to open a Ranger Supply chest.  Got the message "You successfully disarm the trap!"

The chest is empty.

Is this what's supposed to happen when you use the untrap spell?  I've only tried it one other time just to see if it worked and it gave the same message but that other chest had gold and gems and a t-map.

EDITED TO ADD:  Here's another empty one, a Warrior Supply.  Used untrap spell on this one too.

@Kyronix, do you want us to save the maps where you can't ever get a chest to come up out of the ground and stay there and have monsters spawn?  I've got three of them now that gave the blocked message and the crumbled message multiple times.  It seems like once you get the crumbled message, you might as well give up on that map because the chest is never going to stay on top of the ground.  If you want them, I have 3 locked down on top of one of the lockers at my house.
    Kyronix said:
    jaytin said:
    I totally agree.

I think that the puzzles are a great addition.
    @Kyronix, just added another map for a crumbly chest to the bag.  Noticed that all 4 of them are for Ranger chests.  Possible cause for the problem??
This discussion has been closed.