Tamer Pets with Magery Mastery are bugged.

shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
edited September 2023 in General Discussions
Hello everyone,

Today a guildie asked for a help with pirates. I was too lazy to swap chars, so I joined him with my tamer. Then we found a bug for pets with Magery Mastery.

Long story short, if your pet has Magery Mastery and you are trying to kill pirates, your pet will stop attacking after casting 3-4 spells. Yup, at the beginning of the fight it casts 3-4 spells, then it just stays there and does not do anything while taking damage. I tried stop, stay, kill, etc. But nothing fixed its behavior.

I could reproduce this with different pets. The bug only happens with magery mastery. It does not effect pets with innate magery. I dont think this effects many people since nobody does the pirates content with tamers but it was annoying to see the pet just stand there and take damage.

Anybody knows a workaround for this?
Thanks.

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2023
     To my understanding, there is several among the Magical abilities, Special Abilities, Special Moves or Area of Effect in UO pets' Training that have issues..... either do not work as their description says they should or, cause to the pet loss of mana to cast spells or use abilities over and over which are not as important as those which the Tamer would like the pet to instead use, or there is other issues that UO Tamers lament about them...

Other more experienced UO players and well knowledged UO Tamers might list them all (has a comprehensive list of all that does not work in pet's training ever been made ?) and say more precisely what is lamented for each of them but my point is, that after so many years after the release of this important gameplay content for a lot of UO players, perhaps these Taming issues with pets and their training and behaviour not working as expected should get looked at and fixed, to my opinion....
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    That is not normal. They should continue melee fighting. You need more info to reproduce this.  I guarantee if I take a magery pet to a dread pirate, it will not just stop after 4 attacks.

Does the pet do this on other mobs?

A lot of players use pets when pirate hunting.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    edited September 2023
    Pawain said:
    That is not normal. They should continue melee fighting. You need more info to reproduce this.  I guarantee if I take a magery pet to a dread pirate, it will not just stop after 4 attacks.

Does the pet do this on other mobs?

A lot of players use pets when pirate hunting.

I should have added that, this happened when the pet was casting spells from distance. Such as from one boat to another or from boat to lighthouse. Once they are in the same boat, the pet does what it is supposed to do.

I tried again, I can reproduce this with 100% accuracy by using my pet with Magery Mastery and a lighthouse. Pet literally  cast 4 spells, then stood there taking damage from light house orcs without doing anything.
  • popps said:
    cause to the pet loss of mana to cast spells or use abilities over and over which are not as important as those which the Tamer would like the pet to instead use, or there is other issues that UO Tamers lament about them...
    My unicorn will cast heal/greater heal when it is at 100% health...
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    Just curious for further information, what are the magery mastery pet’s mana and mana regeneration numbers?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    Are they stuck in a trying to use death ray but get interrupted re try loop
  • Jepeth said:
    Just curious for further information, what are the magery mastery pet’s mana and mana regeneration numbers?

750 mana, 30 mana regen. I lored the pet thinking it was out of mana. It had 500+ mana.
    When the pet revamp came out, magery Pets would stand back and cast more. But players complained that the pet was abandoning them and getting them killed.  So the devs changed their AI to them melee fighting.

Now that we have learned how to use pets, we could go back to magery Pets casting behind you.

As to the OP. It sounds like the pet is distracted by something else to cause it to stop attacking.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    We need menu rhat allows us to set how and what our pet uses/does  for example discord untill successful then ai then fww etc
  • Here's a link to a detailed ask regarding improving pet context commands:

It's possible "Magery Mastery" pets are trying to use death ray, in a manner that cannot possibly succeed.  Death Ray has an odd maximum range, of 8 tiles.  Whereas most other spells have a range of 10 tiles.  Just a guess -- perhaps the range check isn't happening before attempting to cast the spell (if pets cast heal when at 100% health, missing logic is possible...).  

Is your pet within 8 tiles of the target?
  • Here's a link to a detailed ask regarding improving pet context commands:

It's possible "Magery Mastery" pets are trying to use death ray, in a manner that cannot possibly succeed.  Death Ray has an odd maximum range, of 8 tiles.  Whereas most other spells have a range of 10 tiles.  Just a guess -- perhaps the range check isn't happening before attempting to cast the spell (if pets cast heal when at 100% health, missing logic is possible...).  

I brought my pet as close to the orcs on the lighthouse as I can. I believe we were at 6 tile range. It still did not attack.
  • Pawain said:
    When the pet revamp came out, magery Pets would stand back and cast more. But players complained that the pet was abandoning them and getting them killed.  So the devs changed their AI to them melee fighting.

Now that we have learned how to use pets, we could go back to magery Pets casting behind you.

As to the OP. It sounds like the pet is distracted by something else to cause it to stop attacking.
    That is a shame. Why have magery mastery pet if you dont want it to cast spells :/

Using these new pet abilities was new. And players had not adjusted any new strategies.   A pet was a permanent EV to us.

But now I feel we could use a pet as a distance attacker to aid in our killing. I'd make a Tamer/swordsman if a pet would stand back and fire off spells instead of choosing melee first.
  • shootgun said:
    Here's a link to a detailed ask regarding improving pet context commands:

I brought my pet as close to the orcs on the lighthouse as I can. I believe we were at 6 tile range. It still did not attack.

Can you confirm with 100% certainty the pet range?
    If you're using EC, it tells you the range to selected objects.

Stand in the same tile as your pet, and then click on the lighthouse.  EC will tell you the range.

(Another possible failure mode - if somebody else is running deathray against the same target, I wonder if the pet AI fails properly).

p.s. an "Archer" style "kiting" AI for pet casting spells would be fun.  The Centaur (archer MOB) as a tameable would be fun too.
    A cheap and easy pet to use for pirating is a skree. 

It has magery and mysticism.  Do not change the magic or the other will go away. 

They will stay on your ship and distance attack. You only need 110 magic skills on them. 

But pets do not have SDI. So remove most of your player SDI and that is their damage.

Fun to watch them shoot rocks out of their mouth.

If you want to be serious about killing everything but dread pirates. Use an archer or thrower with an Orc slayer. Or a mage with an Orc slayer book.
  • Pet was likely channeling Death Ray. Once they initiate a Death Ray channel, they won't attempt any other spell or attack unless they're interrupted with damage (some damage doesn't interrupt it though, such as the Beacon's Lightning retaliation) or run out of Mana.
    Magery Mastery in particular has several other bugs as well, such as casting Bless or Arch Cure on their opponent, randomly casting Magic Reflection even when not taking elemental damage, etc.
  • What happens if you tell your pet to stop, invis the target then command to kill it as soon as it reappears? Does it start spell casting again? Just wondering if this restarts the engine or not.
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the comments. I will have time to get back to this on monday. I will reproduce once more while recording. I will also try the suggestions from everyone. So everyone can see the problem I am getting.

Thanks a lot.