Some specific things that would have made this Kyoto quest more enjoyable for me
- For the mob kills, make it less overall kills, but increase the number of difficult monsters that need to be killed. Making us farm so many low level mobs feels disrespectful of my time and makes me feel like the developers don't put any thought into how a quest is designed.I'd rather kill 10 yamadon than 40 kappa. 40 kappa is just boring, no-risk time-killing BS where you search for things to spawn. Killing the yamadon is more fun and can be rewarding on its own. The playerbase is 20+ years old, we can deal with stuff more powerful than kappas. People who can't solo them can experience the magic of an MMO and kill them with nearby players that are also
- Having an uninteresting item display a fancy picture when you double click it is only marginally better than an uninteresting item reward that does nothing. I mean its better than nothing, but the novelty lasts exactly 10 seconds. It doesn't make me excited to do such a grindy, boring, sit-around-and-wait-for-low-level-mobs-to-double-click quest more than once. The lack of useful rewards coupled with the extremely boring and time consuming quest objectives makes me doubt I'll ever do it again. If a quest is basically just me trading away time for a chance at 1 rare item, I'll just go do spawns and buy that item instead.
- Have a system in place to give value to the decoration items that we will eventually end up having no need for. Even if it's just cleanup points (which should be standard for all farmable event rewards going forward) Seriously, even if it's just cleanup points. Please take the time to make it somewhat rewarding to do the quest even if I'm receiving my 20th bonsai tree. I feel like this is an especially easy thing to implement that would help quest fatigue greatly.
- I want quests to be interesting and somewhat challenging, not a direct trade of x # mins of my life for a chance at some reward. I'm ok with making quests newb friendly, but do that using something like a point system for enemies or a bonus to people who do it in a party. You can still cater to weaker players by allowing them to kill 40 kappas or whatever, but give more powerful players a chance to fight more powerful enemies for faster quest completion.
- I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather quests have less fancy settings and special double click deco items with pictures and more unique monsters and useful items. Treasures events are cool, but I'd rather less deco items and more time spent changing up the paragons to have different abilities or whatnot or creating a few unique mobs (like the EM's do) that spawn for that event and drop something useful. Cool consumable items, like things that would effect crafting (say an item that lets you remove a random affix from a weapon or armor piece), would be much better to me than a map that has a paragraph of lore when I double click it and a picture of some generic monster.,
Ok that's a lot haha. Just wanted to give some feedback on changes that I would personally find to make the quests better. I'm curious what other people's opinions of these are.