New Player Macro Question

I am trying to make a macro too cast heal on myself but can't figure it out - any help out there for a newly returned player?

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Need to know if you are classic or enhanced client. Fairly easy macro for enhanced client if you have that.  If you have enhanced I will look it up.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    I have the enhanced client
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    edited April 2021
    Create a macro (push ESC>Macros)
    Drag the Heal spell from the Magery spell book and drop it in the first macro slot.
    Right click the spell icon in the macro slot and choose Target>Self.

Name the macro, give it an icon, set a hotkey if desired, and save.

With or without a hotkey assigned, you can drag the macro from the macro list and drop it in a hotbar so you can click on it, or monitor the cooldown.

If you don't assign a hotkey specifically to the macro, you can assign a hotkey to the hotbar slot the macro is in.

Lot's of options.

This is a good place to start:
    Creating Macros – Ultima Online (uo.com) 
    -Arroth
    Thank you!!! I was totally at a loss.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    In EC you can also skip the macro completely.

Just drag any spell from any spell book to a hotbar  then right click it to select target (self, cursor or current target) right click again to set hot key. 

Same method works for many items as well. For example I have harvester's blade set to hot key q and target cursor. Hit q then target corps and I have leather etc. 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2021
    I have a single on the hot-bar, but I also have a macro to cast heal 3 times on myself that is set to a key to do a quick heal-up on the run. i drag a heal spell onto the macro, then a "Wait for target", then "cursor target self" then a delay. the delay depends on your FC/FCR play around with delay to minimize time between. I can cast it on the run with minimal lag. works great when a mob targets my tamer and hits hard.

heal.png 210.5K
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Vic,

Why bother with Cursor Target, Wait for Target, Cursor Target Self?

Why not just direct target self, delay, direct target self, etc.
    -Arroth
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2021
    I made the macro years ago and it worked, so i never bothered to play around with it.. one of those things where if it aint broke don't fix it  :D  But yeah, that works too.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Thank you for all the help!

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    The EC targeting seems slightly faster than the classic cursor method, which require wait for cursor. I think it should not matter for pvm, but for pvp.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    The EC targeting seems slightly faster than the classic cursor method, which require wait for cursor. I think it should not matter for pvm, but for pvp.
    I've still been working on the spellcasting stuff in the background Seth and it's funny this targeting thing came up.

From what I can see, the EC supports three targeting "systems". At least that's the way I divide it up. (Bleak or Pinco would probably say something like..."That Arroth idiot, that's not the way it works at all!".)

Anyway (and keep in mind this is a very simplified explanation):
    1. Legacy Targeting
    2. CC + UOA Cursor Targeting
    3. Direct Targeting

All three send a different mix of instructions to the client and server.

Legacy Targeting by pulling a bar and clicking is...well...it is what it is, and if you to do that you're welcome to it and good luck to ya.

Cursor Targeting is basically executing a series of instructions:
    Request Target Cursor
    Wait for Cursor to appear
    Register Event
    Register Target
    Unregister Event

Direct Targeting is basically a single line sent to the server:
    PeformActionOn(ObjectIDHere)

So yeah, Direct Targeting is simplest and fastest with the least amount of "work" needed by the client. At least from what I can see. Keep in mind we are talking about the millisecond processing times of modern computers. In actual gameplay it's probably going to be barely noticable - as you said. But Direct Targeting is simpler and it is (ever so slightly) faster.

Remember the dev team has mentioned multiple times that the real drive for the EC was to rectify a bunch of KR's performance problems and that they will always default to performance for the EC. It may not have all the nice polish for the frontend UI, but the core of the EC is (can be) pretty darn quick.
    -Arroth
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited April 2021
    Yes, some players have also said the legacy cursor method is slower in EC. I did some testing myself years ago to verify this. In fact, I was using the cursor method until a pvp friend told me, and since then all my mages have changed to the new method. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Where do you find the commands in the EH client?

Register Event
    Register Target
    Unregister Event

Thanks,
    Riner

Riner said:
    Where do you find the commands in the EH client?

Register Event
    Register Target
    Unregister Event

Thanks,
    Riner

Those are not part of the in game User Interface (UI). They are a generalized description of the way the client is executing code.
    -Arroth
    thanks