Fix the bugs in uo, work for the people

Devs don’t answer anyone’s questions and just don’t look at forums. I pay the same subscription as anyone in uo and get only half the content as what other servers get, why even pay a subscription fee anyway? Devs don’t take any player input in Anything to help with the game, I was reading forums in the bug report room, nothing has been done about most of the bugs there. Why? I don’t even care about deceit anymore, it’s apparent that the devs don’t care about the player base at all 

Comments

• 4-5 threads were run through with over 50 comments per thread and the popular thing wanted by 99% of the playerbase is being ignored!!!!!!!!
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    My impression is that the new event engine was supposed to make setting up of events less time consuming at the backend. This should imply time is free up to deal with other pressing matters including bugs.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • qweryqwery Posts: 23
    For one thing, UO is a giant toy building block made of spaghetti.
    No one knows where to touch it and how it will crumble.
    We'll have these things fixed in no time at all! I'm sure that even a bug that might seem like a "good idea" is a tremendous challenge for them.
    For one, they are a small group of developers, less than 10 people.
    It would be impossible to go around smiling and shaking hands to the boos from all the players.
    I've reported several unacceptable bugs and have been ignored on a yearly basis, but I don't think that has much to do with continued subscriptions.
    In the end, as long as I have friends there that I can log in and have a fun conversation with, that's all that matters.
    Well, that feeling won't last forever either.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    There are a lot of bugs in the game that persist year after year. Not even talking about circumstantial bugs... there are many bugs that are noticed from the moment you log on. It’s hard to understand how these glaring issues can go on go so long (EC container bugs for instance). 

Why are they left in the game? Some bugs are so obvious the logical thing to do would be to fix them.  I hate imagining someone from Broadsword logging into the game, experiencing bugs, and not even thinking twice about it. If this was a modern game, I really don’t think it would be like this. I don’t understand how so many issues can seemingly be ignored when they are right in your face. 

Broadsword should just hire someone to play the game and identify all bugs they encounter and potential ways to fix them. Bug fixes should be constantly pushed to the game. 

Of course the other alternative, although sadly unrealistic due to funding and staff, would be to have the whole game recoded to fit a modern coding approach. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2020

"EA DOES NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE PRODUCT OR EA SERVICE; THAT THE EA SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; THAT OPERATION OF THE EA SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR FREE FROM ERRORS, BUGS, CORRUPTION, LOSS, INTERFERENCE, HACKING OR VIRUSES, OR THAT EA SERVICES WILL INTEROPERATE OR BE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE"

please stop posting bugs and about bugs, and just hand over your money..
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited October 2020
    I've reported so many bugs over the last years and I think none of them were fix. So I decided I'd stop reporting them and whenever I will discover an exploit I will just keep it for myself and abuse it from now on. No point in spending in real life time to report something where in the end, nothing is changed. (why would I work for them if they barely work for me, I am a paying customer in the end, could almost call that: paying volunteering) No, thats enought.

We had nearly no content all spring + summer , and now we are bombarded with 3 limited events at the same time ( virtues rune quest, black gate spawn and lord of  deceit event). So either their agenda is messed up, or I would of gladly accepted a bugs fix patch during the summer or last spring while we had no content, I  don't know I stopped trying to figure out their agenda.

hey, they did fix the Gnarled staff... now they can be reforged.  =D
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited October 2020
    You talking about Asclepius artifact ? Only reforged? I asked to be imbued but it should do both... bah , we get what we get 
    You talking about Asclepius artifact ? Only reforged? I asked to be imbued but it should do both... bah , we get what we get 

nah, crafted gnarled staves weren't able to be reforged.
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited October 2020
    well it looks like its also possible to reforge asclepius now :D 30% healing increase with belt + real asclepius, could be a funny build
  • CovenantX said:
    I just want to point out that some items not being POF'able is INTENDED. They want rings n such to break so that the game doesn't just fill up with them. They don't want them around forever. That being said they seem to last a long ass time and you can POF em 3 times with the max going down like 50 each time. So not a bug
    That’s fine, but they should all be labelled “brittle” 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• One of many problems UO has is the fact that the mere defining of what is and is not a bug becomes an issue among certain players.  Even a pretty basic definition somehow becomes a club.  This thread isn't even the greatest example.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Reporting a bug is merely the start of the process, and most reports contain only a fraction of the needed information.
    Then the cause needs to be tracked down - not always easy
    Fixing it, even then, is unlikely to be straight forward, if it's fixed in the wrong way unexpected and unwanted effects may result.
    Numerous things have to be taken into account by the team, which the players are unaware of.  A number of bugs are fixed with every publish.
  • XrisXris Posts: 130

I was really hoping the "Unification event" was condensing to 1 client (while keeping 2d and 3d), and re-coding the game properly to fix bugs and exploits. So everyone says the codes so bad, yet they've had decades to fix it and have done poorly. I dont want new legacy, I want a game that works properly.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Xris said:

I was really hoping the "Unification event" was condensing to 1 client (while keeping 2d and 3d), and re-coding the game properly to fix bugs and exploits. So everyone says the codes so bad, yet they've had decades to fix it and have done poorly. I dont want new legacy, I want a game that works properly.

I'm not a programer but I have done enough to know the decades of fixing the code is the problem. After 20+ years the game code is doing never even imagined when it was first planned and every fix added even more lines of code that may interfere with or brake the existing code.

Can you think of an other program that is still running after all this time? I think it's three complete ground up rewrite for the mac OS and the same for windows in that time.

The good news is I've got the wife to agree if we ever win the "big one" we will finance the compete rewrite the game obviously need. On a wild ass guess we figure $20 to $30 million.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Tim said:
    Xris said:

I'm not a programer but I have done enough to know the decades of fixing the code is the problem. After 20+ years the game code is doing never even imagined when it was first planned and every fix added even more lines of code that may interfere with or brake the existing code.

Can you think of an other program that is still running after all this time? I think it's three complete ground up rewrite for the mac OS and the same for windows in that time.

The good news is I've got the wife to agree if we ever win the "big one" we will finance the compete rewrite the game obviously need. On a wild ass guess we figure $20 to $30 million.
    I have a similar thought if I win the big one.
  • DanpalDanpal Posts: 119
    Tim said:
    Xris said:

TimSt said:
    Tim said:
    Xris said:

I have a similar thought if I win the big one.
    Might as well buy all the gold from the sellers then and delete it. That will help fix the problem with the economy 
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    edited October 2020
    No need to buy anything, gold sellers are against the TOS so they can just track them and ban the accounts holding the  gold.  No need to buy anything.  It would be the biggest money-drain ever, zero effort from players to take part.   But why dont they?  Would Avatar spam all shards for gold to sell if he had no gold?

Anyway back to the main thread purpose, bugs.
    Id like to see all bugs fixed, unfortunately everyone knows thats impossible, but atleast the annoying ones people run into, and report should be looked at.

What will happend when we get the new legacy shard?   bugs there, bugs on production shards, what will be the focus area of bugs to fix?

Will it be:
    A: Production shard bugs that have existed for multiple years
    B: Bugs on the new favorite baby, new legacy shard
    C: none, they will focus on making new content

Its a rhetorical question, but an important one, which is also a consern for the paying customers.
    edited October 2020
    It doesn’t help when people submit bugs/exploits, and abusers of said bugs/exploits spam the forums trying to explain how it is not a bug/exploit because they don’t want to play the game how it’s supposed to be played.

Example, shadowguard orchard exploit of feeding apple to pet. And when bamboo tiles involuntarily loaded house content to non consenting passers by.

edited October 2020
    psycho said:
    No need to buy anything, gold sellers are against the TOS so they can just track them and ban the accounts holding the  gold.  No need to buy anything.  It would be the biggest money-drain ever, zero effort from players to take part.   But why dont they?  Would Avatar spam all shards for gold to sell if he had no gold?

Anyway back to the main thread purpose, bugs.
    Id like to see all bugs fixed, unfortunately everyone knows thats impossible, but atleast the annoying ones people run into, and report should be looked at.

What will happend when we get the new legacy shard?   bugs there, bugs on production shards, what will be the focus area of bugs to fix?

Will it be:
    A: Production shard bugs that have existed for multiple years
    B: Bugs on the new favorite baby, new legacy shard
    C: none, they will focus on making new content

Its a rhetorical question, but an important one, which is also a consern for the paying customers.

1) Can you point to the webpage or any official UO TOS that implies "trading game gold between
    players is against the TOS".

2) Yeah the bug issue will be a bigger problem. They already complained about a small team handling existing shards, and 2 clients. Very soon they will need to split their time to attend to the new shard with new ruleset.

@Mervyn As a customer, quality is about us being happy about the game, regardless about what the "intent" of the developers. This is why I always mention about "good" or "bad" bugs with your posts. Since they are not going to have time to answer to forum, handle all the bugs in time, I just hope good bug stays, bad bug can some how be lesser - so that it is enjoyable to play for what I am paying for. Whatever is their "design intent" - I am only a player, not a shareholder or employee. I pay to enjoy the game, and if its not enjoyable then I might play other games, just like every other paying customer.

So if someone installs all the cheats and scripts, that makes it okay so long as they enjoy it...

Nice

edited October 2020
    Delthor said:
    Devs don’t answer anyone’s questions and just don’t look at forums. I pay the same subscription as anyone in uo and get only half the content as what other servers get, why even pay a subscription fee anyway? Devs don’t take any player input in Anything to help with the game, I was reading forums in the bug report room, nothing has been done about most of the bugs there. Why? I don’t even care about deceit anymore, it’s apparent that the devs don’t care about the player base at all 

If it was 20 years ago when UO was new, swarming with players, the game is on the shelf in stores, the Dev team was larger - if they try to listen to 20,000 customers, it will be tough.

Today, we have mostly veterans supporting the game. There is no marketing, and its not even on the front page of Origin or EA. 

Perhaps only less than 50 players are active in this forum, and willing to spend time to post their feedback, concerns, or even voice out their unhappiness. They could have just said, "forget it", and not waste any time posting at all. Do something else.

I think this forum is important to gather existing user feedback, which isn't a lot.

The frequent thread locks over just a hint of bad argument, or trying to cover-up issues, is not productive either.

edited October 2020
    Mervyn said:
    So if someone installs all the cheats and scripts, that makes it okay so long as they enjoy it...

Nice

Cheats are not necessarily bugs, all standalone games have cheats today, and the developers don't consider them bugs. I can show you the website where you can find cheats for all existing games in the market.

The topic is about "bugs".

If the scripting and cheats affect another player, that should be a bad thing.
    But the issue with shadowguard apple does not affect another player. If you like, you can choose to be honest and throw every apple at the tree to test if they are correct match. It does not bother another player playing the shadowguard in another room.... but I don't think if you have friends in the same party they will be happy with that.
    ofcourse it affects other players,
    it completely devalues the end drop if you're able to solo all the rooms with ease.
    There is no difference between installing a cheat, and exploiting a bug for personal gain.