FEED US KYRONIX!

CalaveraCalavera Posts: 24
edited June 2019 in General Discussions

Over on Stratics a few days back a returning player started a conversation about the Taming mastery 'As One'. His post piqued my interest, he said the mana upkeep was far too high to use this ability, but it could be fun and open a lot of doors if that was adjusted.

Interested, I ran out and tamed 5 wolf spiders. I then loaded my suit with every high end piece I could scrape together for Mana Regeneration.

So I have

head
arms
gloves
legs
chest
gorget
shield
 with MR 4 each, for a total of MR 28

then I had

spellbook MR 3
robe MR 2
talisman MR 1
ring MR 4
bracelet MR 4
tangle MR 2

for a suit total of a whopping 44 MR. The suit also had 40 LMC.

My real skill on the tamer is 120 tame, 120 lore, 100 vet. Taming Mastery was level 3.

This is as good as I think can be reasonably expected for a player to put together to use a mastery.

After the spiders bonded, I parted up with a 120 music / 120 provo / 120 peace / 120 disco bard and went to the Trammel Sphinx.

Oh mama! What a thing of beauty as my brood chewed through the stodgy ol' Sphinx. BUT, running both Peace Masteries and with all the MR and LMC noted above, I could still only get through about 3 Sphinxes (who have ultrafast respawn rates) without have to turn the Mastery off to regain mana.

'As One' could be SO MUCH FUN if the mana upkeep was more sustainable. Please, PLEASE FEED US KYRONIX!

(Also, the new polymorph tokens and khaldun costumes make for a great RP spider brood)

REDUCE THE 'AS ONE' MANA UPKEEP AND WE SPIDERS (and hellhounds, and wolves, and others) WILL WORSHIP YOU WITH SLAUGHTER!

Comments

• CalaveraCalavera Posts: 24
    Forgot to tag @Kyronix for the above request
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
     :s spiders are my least favorite arthropods! 
    Also, I miscounted above, that should be MR 44, not MR 4 on the suit. So even worse!
    Bro, there are 56 legs in that picture that wish they had middle fingers :( 

Just kidding....kinda! HELP THE SPIDERS CLEANSE THE LAND OF UNBELIEVERS!
  • GraceGrace Posts: 148
    I found that with 120 taming/120 lore/120 med/120 focus/30 mr/ 150 int and a decent mana pool, it can run indefinetly. 

Hmm, interesting. None of my tamers have 120 focus but I may try that out. You can run 'As One' indefinitely with that? I can run Consume Damage no problem, but As One is much more demanding.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 148
    This was with two pets. 

Maybe more than two eats up mana quicker. Sorry I did not convey that in first post I made.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited June 2019
    We have a calculator for this if you are curious: https://www.uo-cah.com/mastery-mana-regen
    And a much more in-depth article on it here: https://www.uo-cah.com/in-depth/mana-regen-masteries

As One costs more to upkeep than the other masteries.

You need 120 Taming/Lore real skill, 150 Int, 40LMC, 30MR, 120 Med, and 115 Focus to run As One indefinitely. Also, the MR stat is capped at 30, so even if you can get 44 on a suit and +22 from bard auras for 66 MR on the character sheet, only 30 of that is working.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Not quite. Mana regen works on diminishing returns, 30 is the point beyond which the returns are negligable.
  • WornOutYourToolWornOutYourTool Posts: 299
    edited June 2019
    I use this mastery with wolf spiders and hellhounds.  55 LMC and me wraith draining.  I'd love it more if they didn't take away the hellhounds health regen

Oh and a sidenote bard masteries on five pets is yuckie for mana
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited June 2019
    Mariah said:
    Not quite. Mana regen works on diminishing returns, 30 is the point beyond which the returns are negligable.
    Do you have access to the current exact formula by chance? The only information I have been able to find is a formula posted by a Dev from around 2010, that the MR bonus is:

1. mr_mod = sqrt(MR)
    2. if (mr_mod) > 5.5 then (mr_mod = 5.5)

This makes the hardcap ~30.3 MR (I guess technically 31 MR). I've tried stacking extreme amount of MR on my character (30 MR from items, Lich Form, Bard Auras) and have seen no noticeable different in mana regeneration rate.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

Just to follow up here, I added 100 focus to my template which already had 100 meditation. Together with the 150 Int / 40 LMC / 44 MR suit my elf had on, AND the all 120s Peace Bard masteries on a second toon, I could maintain As One through several Sphinx.

However, the INSTANT that I turn off Bard Masteries on the second toon, the mana pool begins to deplete rapidly on the Tamer. Is there really a big enough difference between having 120 med / 120 focus and only having 100 in each that I can maintain As One without a Bard? I am a little skeptical after today's experiment, and reluctant to purchase the 120s unless you guys really believe the setup above can maintain As One indefinitely for my spiders.  Appreciate the insight so far though, has anyone reached As One equilibrium on 5 spiders without a second toon (bard)?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Khyro said:
    Mariah said:
    Do you have access to the current exact formula by chance? The only information I have been able to find is a formula posted by a Dev from around 2010, that the MR bonus is:

1. mr_mod = sqrt(MR)

This makes the hardcap ~30.3 MR (I guess technically 31 MR). I've tried stacking extreme amount of MR on my character (30 MR from items, Lich Form, Bard Auras) and have seen no noticeable different in mana regeneration rate.
    I beg your pardon. I have found the information you mentioned, you are correct, I am in error.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Khyro said:
    Mariah said:

1. mr_mod = sqrt(MR)

@Khyro

Is this the post you were referring to ?

https://stratics.com/threads/mana-regen-formula.170563/#post-1567065
  • Calavera said:
    has anyone reached As One equilibrium on 5 spiders without a second toon (bard)?
    Yes.

55 LMC 32 mr 150 int .... My thoughts were mana regen sucks so I find using less mana to begin with works better.  I do okay and if for some reason I'm getting low I pop in wraith and let a wither go, I have a lot of SDI ;)
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    Personally I have a capture and release program at my house... but if you run and fight me in the capture I am not lible for any lost limbs or if all else fails  my slipper squishing your little guts al over the wall/floor.
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    edited June 2019
    Personally I have a capture and release program at my house... but if you run and fight me in the capture I am not lible for any lost limbs or if all else fails  my slipper squishing your little guts al over the wall/floor.
    Fire.
    Fire is the only cure for the eight legged freaks.
    Lots and lots of fire with Everclear as fuel to continue the fire. 
    A blaze of most infinite temperature so one an actually hear the screams of the thousands of eight legged babies who hatched then ate the carcass of their own mama.
    A flamethrower with at minimum 50 feet of effectiveness so as to torch all arachnid in a 360 degree radius around a person.

Did I mention fire?

Even in UO.

*Sidebar
    Anyone remember the original spider artwork? And when they put out the new artwork, I freaked out so badly that I ran all across the map, then had to log out and get the shivers out of my body. 

Fire.