Ship access issues

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited March 2019 in Test Center
anyone else having problems when they deny access to public on a ship, guild members can’t seem to access anything? I checked that all guild members are members and not ronin.

so I set guild to officer
party to officer
and put both my guild mates in party also (although same without party)
and denying access on public stops my guildies access?
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• SlissSliss Posts: 282
    I had party access not work when setting either guild or public to "deny access." I am able to restore party access if both guild and public are set to N/A. I am not sure what is the practical difference between these two settings supposed to be.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I particularly draw your attention to the Deny Access description:

DENY ACCESS: revokes all privileges aboard the ship, overriding all other permissions

and this sentence:

If you set Public to DENY ACCESS then ONLY the OWNER may access the ship. This setting even denies access to those in the access list who are given CAPTAIN access.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    *scratches head*
    We've been playing with this

okay,.. so it's broken?

Forgive me but i don't see the point of DENY ACCESS , because if you don't want an individual to board, you set their individual access to N/A. And Denying access to any other person is achieved by setting public/guild/party to N/A.

From all i can tell this DENY ACCESS option only serves to frustrate and confuse.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited March 2019
    I have it on good authority that i’m a complete idiot.

So surely there is a reason for this DENY ACCESS option being there and borking everything? 
    Also, if something isn’t behaving properly, is this what we are doing now, writing up the mistakes in the official guide rather than addressing the issue?

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    I guess if you read the how to manual on your bright and shiny new boat you would understand how to operate it.  TYVM @Mariah for the link on how to properly operate these "NEW" boats in UO Posted on September 18, 2015 by Mariah.  Maybe some people should READ the how to manual before again posting their little lets try and slam the DEVs and their incompetent game threads.
    Maybe you need to do a better research job on this page  http://www.uoguide.com/Boats This page was last modified on 1 December 2013.  
    edited March 2019
    I read it, I still can’t figure out the purpose of “deny access” over N/A care to share Bilbo? Since you have it all figured out.

not just for me but for Sliss too.

Also, I’m not blaming any devs if the issue hasn’t been reported. I might blame Mariah for blindly writing it up knowing of the issue and not reporting it.

edited March 2019
    The page accurately describes how the permissions work. It is your interpretation that defines that as incorrect. I am not aware of any issue that should have been reported, it was obviously not querried when High seas was launched, publish 68, October 2010
    edited March 2019
    I figured I can’t be the only person to invite someone onto a ship since 2010 so I did a search. There are a few posts on the old official forum similar to this:
    https://stratics.com/threads/ship-access.223116/#post-1833568

https://stratics.com/threads/player-pirates-in-trammel.225433/#post-1855129

https://stratics.com/threads/high-seas-update-10-1.223920/#post-1832293

It seems the issue never got resolved and people just worked around it using the N/A option.

please move to bug forum <

Mervyn please go ahead and deny access to all the listed one at a time while the rest of us gladly use the one click deny access to all, it is called a time saver.  There is no pleasing you.  You slam the DEVs for doing to little and now you are slamming them for doing to much, please make up your mind which you want them to do.  Why didn't you know this in 2010 or better yet in 2013 when it was updated in UOGuide we all thought you were the expert in all things UO how could you let this page go without fully testing every setting and make a %100 accurate how to do everything with a UO ship shame on you for your incompetence for allowing this. 
    edited March 2019
    Okay so you say setting one of the options to deny access is a “timesaver” instead of setting all 3 to N/A.  In that case the DENY ACCESS emergency bork all lockdown option should be a seperate field and not listed in the individual settings under public/guild/party.
    houses have no such emergency bork all access button for co-owner/friends/access.

i had no interest in ships prior to this publish. 

The options have been made overly confusing and complex, they were supposed to be simplifying things hence why they removed a lot of stages in cannon fire.

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    And on the thread you linked, the developer at the time, Phoenix (Mike Moore Systems Designer)
     wrote:

So:

1> If you set Public access to N/A, then the general public cannot board unless they are in the access list, or are a member of another group (Party/Guild) where that group setting grants access.
    2> If you set Public access to Deny, then nobody but the captain has access

The idea is that the Deny Access setting at the Public level is like locking down a firewall, while the N/A setting is secure but for explicit exceptions.

edited March 2019

Was he the dev at the time? You mean he knew he did it wrong?

I feel as if I’m having to defend my and others difficulty in navigating the UI.

if people have difficulty, the UI is done bad or worse-wrong.

here it is, how Phoenix designed the ship access ui:
    Removed

edited March 2019
    Mervyn said:

Was he the dev at the time? You mean he knew he did it wrong?

I feel as if I’m having to defend my and others difficulty in navigating the UI.

if people have difficulty, the UI is done bad or worse-wrong.

here it is, how Phoenix designed the ship access ui:

What others, you are the only one here whining about this, please have all these "OTHERS" post here.  LMAO so according to YOU, YOU are then the only one who knows what is right or wrong with UO.  It must be great having a GOD COMPLEX and knowing everybody else is so beneath you.  WHY DO YOU EVEN PLAY UO MUCH LESS POST HERE IF ACCORDING TO YOU UO IS SO ****** UP.
    The ships guide correctly describes how the security works, it is working as designed.
This discussion has been closed.