Brittle & Large

13»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Mervyn said:
    This is 232 durability, which will last forever.

im asking for pics of stuff that has been worn down?

like to less than /100

Reason nobody has supplied a pic is because nobody’s armour has ever gotten that low if they repaired it at 0.
    Still use this.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    I have also used up many rings/bracelets.  Even more bows.  I wore out a Bane bow from last year.

I guess I play too much.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    That is not brittle, I know what you’re going to say that it is imbued same thing. Well actually no it isn’t, that is a standard imbued piece, so you had no need to repair it as you can just make another, so I suspect you didn’t on that basis. 
    I know cos I do the same, when I receive a message about equipment needing repair, I first check what is it before leaving whatever I’m doing, if it’s a replaceable imbued piece I finish whatever I’m doing.

In fact there’s reason to beleive you wouldn’t have even PoFed it to begin with as the cost of the PoF on this particular piece would exceed the cost of the ingredients you used to imbue it since not max MR or LMC.

Also, why have you redacted the crafter’s name? Is it because you’re aware you write so much trash on these forums that people might boycott your wares?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• KronalKronal Posts: 84
    Pawain said:
    I have also used up many rings/bracelets.  Even more bows.  I wore out a Bane bow from last year.

I guess I play too much.
    No you don't play too much, you just don't spend all your time trying to figure out ways to make everyone miserable under the guise of "the greater good".  
    edited March 2019
    Kronal said:
    Pawain said:

I guess I play too much.
    No you don't play too much, you just don't spend all your time trying to figure out ways to make everyone miserable under the guise of "the greater good".  

Showing what happens to items when you play UO makes Mervyn miserable I will agree. Sorry if the evidence does not fit your motives.

No @Mervyn I repaired it as needed. The crafters name is not appropriate on these forums. The other pics have my crafters name.  That piece is >2 years old and I had no imbuer at the time. I have played my tamer since the revamp 2 years ago.  I use my macer sometimes.  A few repair cycles came from Khaldun.  He played there daily on the first 2 levels because he got more drops.

I almost did not show the stats because that is a pathetic pair of gloves.  It is not easy to find Dex and Str stuff in game or on a vendor because PvPers want those stats. 

Why does this wear out?  I don't throw it at Mobs.  

The weapon I made for Khaldun is 166/237  Only used it for that month and some days.

Ive used my 3 pic names here so no more pics.
    temp.bmp 103.4K
    Kronal said:
    Pawain said:

I guess I play too much.

I think I misread your post so ignore what I replied if I did. Sorry.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Nice examples showing that things do wear out in the game contrary to to what some think and that warriors wear down their equipment faster that Mages and Tamers
  • KronalKronal Posts: 84
    Pawain said:
    Kronal said:
    Pawain said:

I guess I play too much.

I think I misread your post so ignore what I replied if I did. Sorry.
    Lol figured as much.  All good.

-Fridge
    edited March 2019
    Pawain said:
    Why does this wear out?  I don't throw it at Mobs.  

The weapon I made for Khaldun is 166/237  Only used it for that month and some days.

Ive used my 3 pic names here so no more pics.
    Again you’re showing standard replaceable items that people would generally not repair at 0 as this item is not unique.

that said, it’s still over 200? Will last forever.

i suggest faking it by grabbing a brittle item and letting 9 sheep hit you for a while, and not repairing the item to give the effect of a worn down item to try and retain some credibility.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited March 2019
    I really quite like Cinderella’s idea of their being a chance of a brittle item to break when repairing.

Mervyn said:

i suggest faking it by grabbing a brittle item and letting 9 sheep hit you for a while, and not repairing the item to give the effect of a worn down item to try and retain some credibility.
    Maybe that is what you would do but I have real items in UO to show items lose durability.
    The constant wear message would drive me Mervyn.

My posts are just examples of items losing durability in UO.  As far as I know, brittle and imbued wear at the same rate.  
  • I'm going to jump in and say this, i have been using brittle, antique, <insert negative property here> on a lot of characters, Siege and otherwise,  and they last a long time. so far long enough to find upgrades and improvements. so if you don't want the gear like that, i have a house out the west side of Luna on Origin (old CCC vendor house) drop it in my mailbox please. i have a house on Siege in the NE corner of Luna that looks nearly identical to it. yes, drop it in my mailbox please.  oh, and i have one on Balhae in the same spot as Siege that looks just like it, put it in my mailbox there too please.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• ArronArron Posts: 485
    edited March 2019
    Pawain said:
    Mervyn said:

Maybe that is what you would do but I have real items in UO to show items lose durability.
    The constant wear message would drive me Mervyn.

My posts are just examples of items losing durability in UO.  As far as I know, brittle and imbued wear at the same rate.  
    I have different types of Characters which I play in UO including crafters. Different characters taking different amounts of damage depending on the play style. I have magic users and Melee characters. I have noticed when I use Melee characters that the durability of my weapons and armor decrease much quicker than a magic users, I have also noticed that when using repair deeds to repair those items that they lose durability more than 95% of the time. I do not believe that any armor or weapon will last forever if you cannot use PoF on them. I use crafted, imbued, Brittle and Antique items mostly.
    Here is the meaning of the word forever according to Goggle.
    Forever:  For all future time, for always. Continually.

edited March 2019
    yet you cannot show us a pic of your melee worn down brittle items?
    I prefer to use facts over belief, are you planning on handing your items down to your grandchildren for them to use?

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    edited March 2019
    Mervyn said:
    yet you cannot show us a pic of your melee worn down brittle items?
    I prefer to use facts over belief, are you planning on handing your items down to your grandchildren for them to use?

I don't use melee characters anymore due to the armour styles that wear down too fast, and Sampires. I have deleted all my melee characters. I currently have 7 caster types on my main account - and across shards, except for the odd ranged thrower.

This is what I mean about players adjusting against it.

I used to have a decent parry mystic, he would solo Terathon Keep Mephistis spawn, stoneform, area effect spells, melee everything that attacked him (tons of mobs there), his armour wore down so fast, I had to delete the character, it was unusable.

Do you use Splinter weapons for anything except major PvP? Do you use them in PvM? Same principle.

No-one even picks up Brittle Legendary weapons, again for this reason, their lifespan is just too short. Thanks for reminding me, I'll go and unravel the ones I have, I will never use them.

To Victim of Siege, Siege is a different animal to be fair. You risk losing your entire armour set at any point, so you never actually make a complete top end set. Yes, even Antique lasts well enough on Siege. Siege is in fact the only place I use a Melee character - because you can.

On my original post I specifically excluded splintering weapons. 

I’m pretty sure not everyone has deleted their sampires. 

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290

Mervyn said:

This suggests that Mesanna thinks Brittle is a negative property, when at 255 durability it will last forever if repaired when required. (The only exception being if Brittle is on a splintering weapon, that will not last forever)
    I feel it is important to correct this as it might confuse new players. The fact it has durability in the first place shows an item WILL NOT last forever. It will last a long time if correctly repaired though. I just wanted to clear this up as I know keeping things simple for new players is a big deal for Merv, and so it should be. Similar to the hidden LMC bonus not showing on armour. So let's not give incorrect information about durability.
    edited March 2019
    Mervyn said:
    On my original post I specifically excluded splintering weapons. 

I’m pretty sure not everyone has deleted their sampires. 

I feel you are deliberately only half understanding, taking things out of context, or trolling now.

I did not say everyone has deleted their Sampires, I said, I have deleted all my melee characters, because of the negative effect armour styles and Sampires have on other melee style characters - as in - Not even worth having melee style characters anymore that isn’t a Sampire.  And I refuse to use a Sampire, so I deleted the lot.

I also know you were not talking specifically about splintering weapons, but again, I was using that as an example. Using splinter weapons in pvp, is a similar effect to using brittle weapons/armour in melee Pvm is the comparison I was drawing. When you have an entire character and an entire suit relying on each piece, you are just not going to be happy going through that speed of wear and tear.
    edited March 2019
    DJAd said:

Mervyn said:

This suggests that Mesanna thinks Brittle is a negative property, when at 255 durability it will last forever if repaired when required. (The only exception being if Brittle is on a splintering weapon, that will not last forever)
    I feel it is important to correct this as it might confuse new players. The fact it has durability in the first place shows an item WILL NOT last forever. It will last a long time if correctly repaired though. I just wanted to clear this up as I know keeping things simple for new players is a big deal for Merv, and so it should be. Similar to the hidden LMC bonus not showing on armour. So let's not give incorrect information about durability.
    What about clean items, they have durability. Even ones with self repair.

People are getting quite petty with my definition of forever. Perhaps i should've said "RL lifetime" or something. But then i'm sure someone will claim to be Highlander or something.

edited March 2019
    Without being petty about your definition of forever, the crux of the disagreement between you and I, is what is an acceptable wear down rate.

To me, the wear down rate is not acceptable to be happy using it on my characters, to you it is.

I don’t have the time, or mental energy to want to be spending my life repairing, or regearing characters over and over, I’d like to just play my various characters. You seem to be ok with it.

I can accept this, what I would like as compensation for my play style though, and the fact I am being penalised so much, is a better crafting option, to produce clean gear, that is much more directed to what I want, that can compete in today’s game environment.

As I have mentioned, the last armour style I truly liked, was greater reforged. this cannot compete today. Even with greater reforged, I would like more ability to control the outcomes. I am happy if this armour style was not as powerful as say a 14 property brittle legendary, BUT it needs to be closer. Give me 8-10 properties.... I am happy if they make the grind, or the work rate very difficult to achieve this, but give me an option that involves less random luck, and more objectively directed play/work within game, that allows me to achieve specific targets regarding armour.
    maybe i'm being personal here cookie, but you're not the typical player, you are quite extreme. I've seen you roll up for guild fights in the new all blessed self repair Lower reagent cost suit (and consequently get yourself killed at 0 insurance loss) but moreover get your guildmates killed because you didn't want to use decent armour.

edited March 2019

Not taking offence, I am quite extreme, I am a perfectionist... :)

I would love to use decent armour, if there was any that was good enough for me...

(my guildmates can look after themselves by the way, they are amongst the best team pvpers in the game, they don't need me. ;)  )

• hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    im saying that brittle armor is fine the way it is you need to repair armor it makes it realistic i can wear a brittle tunic and spawn all night and not have to repair it and probably do that two nights in a row before it even get low enough to need a repair its fine leave the armor alone jeesh
    edited March 2019
    Yes brittle armour is fine the way it is, no problems with it, that’s why everyone uses it with no complaints, that IS the problem. It’s supposed to have a negative property...

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    I think 3 pages is enough to show that Mervyn's opinion that brittle is not a sufficiently negative property is not a widely held view.
This discussion has been closed.