Brittle & Large

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited March 2019 in General Discussions
@mesanna thinks "Brittle" is a negative property??

I was unable to attend the Europa Meet & Greet however read the transcripts.

: [Crystal] Bleak says: There is no 8 mod cap
: [Crystal] Aaron says: ok, so no changes to what can spawn were made
: [Crystal] Aaron says: just a decrease in the chances?
: [Crystal] Bleak says: Loot rolls for properties and it can select as many properties that it has the budget for
: [Crystal] Bleak says: No
: [Crystal] Aaron says: so a gorget like the one being worn by Jinx (in line) can still spwan
: [Crystal] Bleak says: Based on luck and what you are fighting
: [Crystal] Aaron says: so a gorget like the one being worn by Jinx (in line) can still spwan?
: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: one sec
: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: we are talking
: [Crystal] Aaron says: np
: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: Yes one like that can still spawn, but there is a cap
: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: besides thats brittle

This suggests that Mesanna thinks Brittle is a negative property, when at 255 durability it will last forever if repaired when required. (The only exception being if Brittle is on a splintering weapon, that will not last forever)

Mesanna if you want Brittle to be a curse (of sorts) please at least drop the durability to 150, the same as replicas. People still use replicas at 150 durability. Now I am being very conservative saying 150, as I'm aware if i suggested reverting Brittle to the original durability of 75 which it once was, the usual people will have some sort of fit. Just some context here, people only asked for brittle durability to be increased from 75 because they wrongly presumed brittle items lose durability faster than non brittle items.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2019

Hi Mervyn,

I consider Brittle an extremely negative property, I don't use half my characters because they are stuck in this rubbish armour style. As you say, it runs out eventually - when you play your characters a lot like me, get stuck in, it goes down very fast. I spend way too much time repairing stuff, or having pointless time sinks built into my game, when I'd just like to grab a character and play. I hate the entire concept of built in obsolescence.

I spend all my time, collecting enough gold, to be able to buy clean, or original items, which as you can guess, takes me a ton of time. There are not many pieces around, that even fit my concept of decent armour, I unravel what other players would consider platinums worth of armour or weapons.

My favourite armour style was Greater Reforged. Even this though, I hate the concept of luck when crafting, I want definite results that I kow I am aiming for. I don't like random, I don't like RNG, I like to know what I am playing for. I like guaranteed objectives.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2019
    I did not say it runs out eventually, it doesn't run out, not in a human's lifespan.

Cookie, have you actually played with imbued/brittle armour? It lasts forever if you repair when required, even if you spend all your waking hour in acid.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited March 2019
    Mervyn said:
    Cookie, have you actually played with imbued/brittle armour? It lasts forever if you repair when required, even if you spend all your waking hour in acid.

Yes I have Mervyn, as I say, all my characters are stuck in it, my crafter makes it, my guild kindly gives me amazing current day suits, because I refuse point blank to collect it for myself. Your concept of forever, is not my concept of forever, and trust me, I wear armour down fast, when I play, I get really stuck in. :)

I hate the entire concept, it gives me nothing to aim for, or do ingame, therefore can't be lured to Shadowguard for example, because nothing there attracts me (apart from Cameo's).

The benefit I guess - when I am having to save 500m gold for 1 armour piece, it gives me an objective that stops me getting bored. But I'd rather be able to kit out all my characters in gear I like and play them.

If you're managing to wear armour down to point of breaking, you MUST not be repairing when dura gets to 0.

Mervyn said:
    If you're managing to wear armour down to point of breaking, you MUST not be repairing when dura gets to 0.

I do, I'm not AJ. :)

I take good care of my gear, as I say, almost the first thing I have to do when I log in, is repair something somewhere, which is a complete waste of time.

Log-in... PvP!.... come join this fight!! Agggh I can't, got to repair bloody armour... Be with you in 5 minutes when the fight is over...

edited March 2019
    There is something different to your armour than mine then. On my main char, and i pvm all day long at champs (receiving heavy damage from multiple mobs) I've had a brittle pair of legs for years! and they're down to 246 durability. That is the lowest durability of a brittle piece on all my chars, everything else is over 250.

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I use brittle pieces.
    And I do it, knowing they can break when repaired.
    I have seen it happen, when using a crafter to repair the item.
    I haven't seen it happen, when using a repair deed.
    edited March 2019
    You can’t break an item attempting repair, deed or no deed, brittle or not brittle. You can fail and it lose one durability each fail. 

With all due respect, you’re mistaken if you think you have seen it happen this decade.

But hey there is an idea, make there a chance for brittle items to break on repair. That would be a legit curse. 

• hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    ive been wearing the same armor for almost a year and it hasnt even went down 40 from the top end and i fight heavily everyday 
    if they gave brittle items a chance to break upon repair im sure many pvpers would stop playing... so the 11 mod brittle legendary items can still spawn it seems but she said there is a cap what is it? lol
  • Gandalf69Gandalf69 Posts: 14
    I have been using for 4 years briitle items and they never broke.
    Same for my imbuing sampire suit for 5 years 
  • Gandalf69Gandalf69 Posts: 14
    They should also make all the brittle items cursed so we can loot them on feluica.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Looks like we have a biased crowd of respondents here.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Pawain said:
    Looks like we have a biased crowd of respondents here.
    Really I didn't notice that  >:)
    The fact is, Brittle is nowhere close to as negative as cursed, antique, massive, or unwieldy. And as a curse should have some sort of negative property. 

Just as you stated. It has a curse but nowhere near the others. Antique is nowhere near Brittle as Brittle is nowhere near clean.  Look at the auction forum and a clean is worth a lot more than brittle.  I don't know how others play but if you dont banksit or kill tamers your armor will need repair.
    Tamer Mage that avoids contact. I ungraded my gloves less than 6 months ago.

Melee toons will wear faster.  If you play UO you may notice these things.
    temp.jpg 104.3K
    edited March 2019
    What am i looking at here? it’s on 239 durability! that will last longer than your lifetime.

Only way armour can possibly drop below 200 is if someone didn’t repair at 0, this also includes people who repair armour too early. You strike me as the kind of overly cautious guy who repairs at 20/255 instead of 0 or 1 which would increase the durability loss. 

Pawain your posts are a caricature of yourself. One rule, protest ANYTHING that would make the game more challenging including fixing bugs/exploits. Are you sure you’re not an NPC?

I notice for a tamer mage there’s no luck on this piece. You probably just switch to a luck suit when the creature is redlined. 

why would you want to push to ruin brittle items?? people already wear antique jewels dont push to ruin brittle also and yes it last a long time but if we play for another 40 years im sure ill have to replace my brittle items also dont push this it is silly 
    edited March 2019

Ok, my view is there are too many negatives, and too many time-sinks built into the game.

As I say, I'm someone who just likes to play, and I've always attempted to play the entire gamestyle - now there is so much content these days in this game to play, you cannot scratch the surface half the time.

A lot of the disciplines, require full time attention to play to any decent degree.

With this as a backdrop - I find some of the negatives built into this game, just pointless and annoying.

I am fine with a penalty on death, 5 minutes of stats, that is deserved, and balances pvp fights.

Dying in Illshenar and having to walk for 10 to 15 minutes to find a healer, is not cool.

Armour losing durability is not cool. You've gone to the effort to find it in the first place, you've integrated every single part of your suit, last thing you need is one part falling to pieces in it and making the entire thing redundant.

On 1 account, you can have 7 characters per shard... That's a lot of characters to try and build and play, and takes hell of a lot of time invested right there. If as you say, it almost never really runs out - then why have it in the first place - it only serves to really upset the perfectionists like me who hate this style, or the guys who just want to grab a character and play the different playstyles given in this amazing game, without having to sit through time-sinks all the time.

Yes- I'm one of those people who will repair a piece if it is between 10-100, If I don't 6 hours later, if I'm on an extended session, I will have almost lost a piece or two. I did a 6 hour mega PvP session (IDOC - we won it) last night, and my armour got hammered, started all from fresh. I can honestly say to you Mervyn, it happens a ton of time, my guild are fighting you, and I can't get there because I have to repair stuff.

edited March 2019
    Cookie what are you wittering on about now? You told us you don't use brittle armour. If people are going to use armour with curses, they're supposed to be just that, a curse.

If people don't want any curses, they will use imbued/reforged or clean armour like you do.

edited March 2019
    Mervyn said:
    Cookie what are you wittering on about now? You told us you don't use brittle armour. If people are going to use armour with curses, they're supposed to be just that, a curse.

If people don't want any curses, they will use imbued/reforged/clean armour.

Well of course I use it on most of my characters, there is almost no way around it these days. But I hate it. I spent years almost quitting the game over this issue, because if I hate the armour style, there is almost nothing left for me to do ingame, can find no motivation to hunt, to craft, to gear characters etc - that's where my guild stepped in, and just gave me all my suits, it kept me ingame, they are very good mates, and very grateful to them.

My idea of perfection would be to not have to use it, and my idea of fun, would be to not have to use it. I have one character with fully blessed, fully repairable gear. It is not as powerful as I'd like it to be, I'd like more characters.

I'm saying, in the overall picture, there are too many time-sinks. This is just one of many, that prevent me from playing the game more fully. So no, I am not in favour of altering this in any way to have a more negative impact on the game, I'd rather get rid of red tape, and pointless times-sinks, than keep on adding more in.

• xxxVideoxxxVideo Posts: 59
    Dude leave brittle items alone, go investigate some revenant losing targets stuff.
    xxxVideo said:
    Dude leave brittle items alone, go investigate some revenant losing targets stuff.
    That investigation was concluded, I was able to repeat the issue: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/3429/revenants-vengeful-spirit-loses-target-on-teleporter-sparkle#latest

edited March 2019

Just going to close Mervyn with this thought,

Fighting you, is fun, challenging, fighting a well designed boss is fun, challenging, doing the BoD system is cool, Fishing, Treasure Hunting, VvV, Spawns, Harries, Shadowguard encounter, Gathering resources is relaxing, Crafting stuff is a fun system (just don't like the outcomes), Housing Design is artistic - but my point is - Fun and Challenging, are not defined by just adding in pointless time-sinks everywhere. {As an example of this - look at the complete High Sea's overhaul they are doing now, which players who like that playstyle have been begging for for ages, the system had too many pointless time-sinks}.

Adding these type of properties that you want to add to armour, do not make the game more "difficult", they just make it bloody annoying and waste our time. This game has enough content, to not need to do that, that's a trick games with not enough content do, to space out the content.

So I am questioning, what makes a game more fun, difficult and challenging - to me, it isn't this.

To me, it is playing well thought out, well balanced systems.

edited March 2019
    I'm not suggesting we add more negative content, I'm suggesting they correct the miscalculation they made in bumping up the brittle items from 75 to 255 (which they only did because people misunderstood the property), These items were never intended to last forever.

It's clear from the M&G that Mesanna has no idea about the lifespan of these and was under the impression herself that Brittle is supposed to be a negative property.

Mervyn said:
    I'm not suggesting we add more negative content, I'm suggesting they correct the miscalculation they made in bumping up the brittle items from 75 to 255 (which they only did because people misunderstood the property), These items were never intended to last forever.

It's clear from the M&G that Mesanna has no idea about the lifespan of these and was under the impression herself that Brittle is supposed to be a negative property.
    Probably this guy invested hes stuff in clean suits.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    And yet another UO doesn't work the way I think it should thread.  BRITTLE IS A NEGATIVE PROPERTY IT IS JUST NOT AS NEGATIVE AS YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE.  Can you PoF a Brittle item, no, then in fact it is a negative property.
    Brittle items spawn with max durability, they do not require PoF.

Mervyn said:
    Brittle items spawn with max durability, they do not require PoF.
    by this logic mighty all items does not require PoF. Lets remove PoF from the game?
This discussion has been closed.