Fishing Skill and Fabled fish net

Hi, a simple question with a big doubt:
it's necessary to have fishing skill to utilize the Fabled fish net ?
Thx

Comments

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,101
    The higher your fishing the better chance of summoning!
  • NimrudNimrud Posts: 64
    Ok thx
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,224
    I don't think fishing skill matters.  I toss them on my mage and bring up scalis.  But I have seen players toons that get Scalis very often and they may or may not have fishing.  Seems some are luckier than others.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    But it is possible for a fisher with archery and magery to combat Osiredon or Scalis with some chance to win the match?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,021Moderator
    Scalis is not considered to be a solo encounter, usually a guild event, or sometimes a shard event. Europa has such an event tonight, details are in the Europa forum
    I was afraid of this answer, no chance for my solo fisher. Thx Mariah for the suggestion for tonight i'll think about it.
    Nimrud said:
    I was afraid of this answer, no chance for my solo fisher. Thx Mariah for the suggestion for tonight i'll think about it.

Gather a few nets, set a time and date and throw out an invitation in General Chat for anyone on your shard to join you?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,234
    Nimrud said:

Just an FYI that Scalis is an encounter that really has no downside to make public since your chances of getting a drop (small soulforge) are the same and the amount of loot is generally the same as well (I've done it with 7ppl and up to 30ppl and IIRC it's generally the same amount of loot per char). The benefit of making it public is that you will be able to kill it much faster to do more if you have the nets.
    Grimbeard said:
    The % based on skill is lined out.  So, what are you showing me?  That  my observation is correct?  1 in 4 sounds close to what my 0 skill mage throws.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,304
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    The % based on skill is lined out.  So, what are you showing me?  That  my observation is correct?  1 in 4 sounds close to what my 0 skill mage throws.
    try this link  https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/fishing/leviathan-and-osiredon-the-scalis-enforcer/
    The only thing it says about skill is under the leviathan section.
    The fabled net thrower (if a GM or higher Fisherman) has a 1 in 4 chance of getting a minor artifact (not modified by luck or damage).

If a fisherman gives me nets to throw,  I'll get scalis eventually with no fishing skill.
    Pawain said:
    If a fisherman gives me nets to throw,  I'll get scalis eventually with no fishing skill.

If you want to waste white nets go for it. 

This was several years ago but there was a very clear difference for me throwing with a non fishing char vs one with 120 fishing. I'm not sure how much difference there is between 100 and 120 but there is definitely a difference between 0 and 120.
    @Mariah could you check with the DEVs to see witch is true UOGuide or UOWiki
    I'm not sure if anyone on LS uses their actual fisherman to summon Scalis.  Except Gabby, but she makes the others mad because she throws them until there are 3 or more Scalis.
    Seems easy enough for @Community Manager or @Kyronix to respond 
    Grimbeard said:
    Seems easy enough for @ "Community Manager" or @ Kyronix to respond 
    Or go throw 10 with 0 skill and 10 with 120 and see the results. 
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Seems easy enough for @ "Community Manager" or @ Kyronix to respond 
    Or go throw 10 with 0 skill and 10 with 120 and see the results. 
    Too small of a sample size and unlike you some folks enjoy developers communication 
    The information regarding the 1 in 4 chance of a minor artifact comes from here:

Mariah said:
    The information regarding the 1 in 4 chance of a minor artifact comes from here:

Thank you 
    Mariah said:

We are questioning this from UOGuide  For a GM Fisherman, there is a 25% chance to spawn Osiredon the Scalis Enforcer.
    Mariah said:

We are questioning this from UOGuide  For a GM Fisherman, there is a 25% chance to spawn Osiredon the Scalis Enforcer.

Yes. I'm aware. I have trawled back through publishes, I have checked every where I can think of. I could find where my info came from for the wiki, but I couldn't locate the source of uoguide's info. Sorry
    Mariah said:
    Mariah said:

Yes. I'm aware. I have trawled back through publishes, I have checked every where I can think of. I could find where my info came from for the wiki, but I couldn't locate the source of uoguide's info. Sorry
    Could you contact the DEVs and ask
    Mariah said:
    Mariah said:

That's what McDougle did when he tagged them in this thread... Community Manager should be answering these types of questions for the community instead of posting threads with little substance like what was your first house / favorite expansion.
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:
    Mariah said:

That's what McDougle did when he tagged them in this thread... Community Manager should be answering these types of questions for the community instead of posting threads with little substance like what was your first house / favorite expansion.
    The community Manager like us all lives with a narcissistic leader let's imagine the daily meetings. So about those Halloween contest winners...same for Mariah left in the cold to deal with us..
    Grimbeard said:
    The community Manager like us all lives with a narcissistic leader let's imagine the daily meetings. So about those Halloween contest winners...same for Mariah left in the cold to deal with us..

I understand what you are saying but at the same time, when CM is being asked a direct question and they then post like 24 hours later some empty topic thread about "have you ever attended a UO wedding" that tells me they don't care about the community.

Side note - I highly doubt Mesanna is telling the CM to not answer a question about something like the odds of pulling Scalis - that's just generic info that any developer should be able to give them. If it is a secret number (not sure why it would be) then they could still reply with something about "keeping the secret sauce recipe a secret". At least it's acknowledgment of the question.
    keven2002 said:
    Mariah said:
    Mariah said:

@Mariah has a much better rapport with the DEVs and appears to get answers when others can not. 
    My 0 skill guy usually gets at least 1 scalis from 10 nets.   I have seen 120 fishers get 1 with 10. I have seen a pvper template get a scalis with almost every toss.  I can't tell his name because it is too offensive, but he is the luckiest net tosser I have seen.

Some of us don't need more hand holding.  If fishing skill increases chance, will I throw with my fisherman?  Nope.  I do it for the chance of a drop, which requires me to do damage.
    Pawain said:
    My 0 skill guy usually gets at least 1 scalis from 10 nets.   I have seen 120 fishers get 1 with 10. I have seen a pvper template get a scalis with almost every toss.  I can't tell his name because it is too offensive, but he is the luckiest net tosser I have seen.

Some of us don't need more hand holding.  If fishing skill increases chance, will I throw with my fisherman?  Nope.  I do it for the chance of a drop, which requires me to do damage.
    Great no further need for you to reply to this thread. 
    edited May 19
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Great no further need for you to reply to this thread. 

It's his typical non-helpful response "People can do stuff. I don't care about the answer so nothing is broken and there is no need for the Devs to hand hold; aka respond."

He probably didn't even need a post to begin with but now that he's posted and we know his stance hopefully he won't open this thread anymore because he doesn't care about the chances of pulling a Scalis and he can let those that do try to be informed without his pointless remarks.