Salvage Bag Bug Fix

2»

Comments

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
    edited April 11
    @Feigr quit being lazy and just take out the unused cloth before you use the salvage function.  How long has the salvage been around and so far you are the only one that can't figure out how to use it.  Seriously you are the only person that has whined about the salvage bag, you should have been here before the DEVs gave it to us.  The Salvage Bag was added during Publish 48 on November 27, 2007
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,852
    edited April 11
    Feigr said:
    I have no doubt that the salvage bag was coded to just use the tools on everything in the bag. 

However, they did include exceptions and new functions to the tools when combined with the bag.

Normal scissors can't cut everything at once.  That's new.

Just because something can be explained doesn't mean that it was intended.  And just because something was coded poorly, it doesn't mean it has to remain coded poorly.

Why would they intend for the bag to make bandages? You can already make bandages with everything except the bag just as easily.

Also, every argument so far seems to just be an argument to continue a contention or it's stemming from a position of trying to save developer time.  Both are nonsense arguments from a consumer and gamer perspective.

Many games, even with limited teams, make huge lists of patches and fixes in games. 

Vampire Survivors, for example, has one developer.  And it had a weekly patch cycle that puts almost all the UO patches to shame.

Rimworld, one developer.
    Dwarf Fortress, one developer.
    I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be changed and just accepting it, I am simply showing how it isn't bugged. I'd be all for the change and would welcome it for when I do Bods. Just because something doesn't act the way you feel it should, doesn't mean it is bugged.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    edited April 12
    Feigr said:
    I have no doubt that the salvage bag was coded to just use the tools on everything in the bag. 

However, they did include exceptions and new functions to the tools when combined with the bag.

Just because something can be explained doesn't mean that it was intended.  And just because something was coded poorly, it doesn't mean it has to remain coded poorly.

Why would they intend for the bag to make bandages? You can already make bandages with everything except the bag just as easily.

Also, every argument so far seems to just be an argument to continue a contention or it's stemming from a position of trying to save developer time.  Both are nonsense arguments from a consumer and gamer perspective.

Many games, even with limited teams, make huge lists of patches and fixes in games. 

Vampire Survivors, for example, has one developer.  And it had a weekly patch cycle that puts almost all the UO patches to shame.

Rimworld, one developer.
    I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be changed and just accepting it, I am simply showing how it isn't bugged. I'd be all for the change and would welcome it for when I do Bods. Just because something doesn't act the way you feel it should, doesn't mean it is bugged.

Well, now we're in Pedantic territory.  So define bug.

Because I say it's a flaw or unintended consequence.

And that to me is exactly what is going on.

I don't think it was intended for the Salvage Bag to work just like scissors on a stack of cloth because scissors already do that. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,117
    edited April 12
    So ignore the opinions of those who have no reason to salvage cloth since they want to fill their collection of Fountain of Life?

I have a feeling the devs know what it does.  The way it works caters to all.  Take out the cloth if that is where you want to stop.  

A bug would mean it turns a shirt into bandage on the first salvage.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Feigr said:
    Feigr said:

Rimworld, one developer.

Well, now we're in Pedantic territory.  So define bug.

Because I say it's a flaw or unintended consequence.

And that to me is exactly what is going on.

I don't think it was intended for the Salvage Bag to work just like scissors on a stack of cloth because scissors already do that. 
    if they weren't intended to work just like scissors, I feel like you wouldn't need scissors to use them . . .

edited April 12
    I did not know you needed scissors on you to turn cloth to bandages using the salvage bag.  I had to load EC to find the 5 pairs I had on me. lol.  But, that is correct.

Clippers count as scissors for the bag.  That part may be a bug.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,408
    I think you have to have scissors to recycle cloth in the salvage bag 

I’m not at my comp or I’d dbl check 
    edited April 12
    Skett said:
    I think you have to have scissors to recycle cloth in the salvage bag 

I’m not at my comp or I’d dbl check 
    I just did.  You do need them or clippers.  I was wondering why I has scissors.  Can't salvage leather items without them.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,408
    Will clippers cut bandages 
    edited April 12
    Skett said:
    Nope nor clothing. 
    But if you just have clippers, you can salvage the clothing then bandages.   That's why I said that part may be a bug.  But not something worth changing. Unless we are exploiting clippers.
    Pawain said:
    Skett said:
    Nope nor clothing. 
    But if you just have clippers, you can salvage the clothing then bandages.   That's why I said that part may be a bug.  But not something worth changing. Unless we are exploiting clippers.
    Curses, you figured out my master plan. I was gonna take over UO with this.

Pawain said:
    So ignore the opinions of those who have no reason to salvage cloth since they want to fill their collection of Fountain of Life?

I have a feeling the devs know what it does.  The way it works caters to all.  Take out the cloth if that is where you want to stop.  

I have no idea what you're talking about with the fountains TBH.  I'm assuming there's something I'm missing, but why would just plain scissors not do the same exact function?
    edited April 12
    Feigr said:
    Pawain said:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the fountains TBH.  I'm assuming there's something I'm missing, but why would just plain scissors not do the same exact function?
    That's what we used before the salvage bag.  :p   But they decided we needed a QoL improvement and made the salvage bag.  

Fountains of Life make Enhanced bandages.
    I understand what they do, but I don't see what the Salvage Bag does to make it easier.
    Feigr said:
    I understand what they do, but I don't see what the Salvage Bag does to make it easier.
    I don't have to click scissors after I turn a shirt to cloth.  Just salvage again.
    If that's your arguments, I'm good with that.

I've made the case as well as I could.  I feel like most of you aren't arguing the case in good faith anyways and it's a minor issue. 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,036
    The real issue is the attitude of the players let's be honest the Developers need no help with ignoring and not fixing bugs why the players feel the need to attack anyone is beyond me
    Grimbeard said:
    The real issue is the attitude of the players let's be honest the Developers need no help with ignoring and not fixing bugs why the players feel the need to attack anyone is beyond me
    Not attacking, just explaining that this particular issue isn't a bug, but the way that it works. They need to change the way the salvage bag works in order to change the outcome of using the salvage bag on cut cloth. As long as you need to use scissors, it will do what scissors do. instead of using scissors and smith tools they will need to make the salvage bag the "Tool" and make it where it will obly process armor/weapons/clothing. and it would also be nice if they added tinkered metal items to it. 

• TheoTheo Posts: 174
    But is that really a bug?  or should the player take responsibility for moving cloth out of the bag before using the recycle process?  I usually think 'my bad' if I forget, I blame me, not the game.  I don't expect the game to do my thinking for me.
    No it’s a bug because recycling is not cutting up your original crafting ingredient.  It’s recycling crafted items. It’s clearly a coding bug. It should never work this way. Ingots can’t be smelted into anything so they work fine. 

I don’t understand why people jump out to defend poor coding at every turn.  Are you on the dev team?  Are you defending your work?  This is a bug. It should recycle crafts items not cut up cloth to bandies. End of story.  It’s literally one if statement in the smelting for next loop. Literally 2 minutes to fix and test.  
    Theo said:
    But is that really a bug?  or should the player take responsibility for moving cloth out of the bag before using the recycle process?  I usually think 'my bad' if I forget, I blame me, not the game.  I don't expect the game to do my thinking for me.
    No it’s a bug because recycling is not cutting up your original crafting ingredient.  It’s recycling crafted items. It’s clearly a coding bug. It should never work this way. Ingots can’t be smelted into anything so they work fine. 

I don’t understand why people jump out to defend poor coding at every turn.  Are you on the dev team?  Are you defending your work?  This is a bug. It should recycle crafts items not cut up cloth to bandies. End of story.  It’s literally one if statement in the smelting for next loop. Literally 2 minutes to fix and test.  
    It is how it was designed to work.  There are players using bandages every day.  Before Sampires they were needed more.

Take cloth out of the bag if you do not want bandages.  Just because it does not work like you want it to work does not mean there is a bug and everyone who has made bandages using it is an exploiter.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    edited April 18
    My only issue with the Salvage bag, is that  NPC bought- items don't always salvaging on the first attempt.

I buy 20 double axes/bladed staves from an npc, to reforge for elemental% weapons, my crafter has a 100% exceptional chance with those axes, as well as bladed staves, so it's just cheaper & efficient to buy 20 then reforge, instead of wasting a whetstone when 5/5 mods fit on non-exceptional

It's not a big deal, generally it salvages, it just takes a few extra 'salvage' attempts to clear the bag of unwanted items.

It would be nice if there was a way to salvage wood/bone & stone items.  or just a quicker way to remove unwanted reforged items for those types that currently cannot be salvaged.

I generally craft items in a container, separating the reforged items that I want, out, and when the container gets full (or character becomes overloaded -whichever is first) then I drop that container and start with another empty one....  it's a rather boring experience so any QoL (non cheats) would be welcomed.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    @CovenantX I don't 'salvage' failed reforge attempts, I unravel them. It can take a lot of magic residue to imbue the rest of the properties onto elemental slayer weapons. failed reforges supply that need quite nicely
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    @ CovenantX I don't 'salvage' failed reforge attempts, I unravel them. It can take a lot of magic residue to imbue the rest of the properties onto elemental slayer weapons. failed reforges supply that need quite nicely
       yea, that works too.   I'm not so much salvaging for resource returns, I'm just trying to get rid of the unwanted items so I can more quickly get the reforges/imbues I'm working towards.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659