What was the most difficult encounter or boss you have faced in UO?

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com

Comments

• OreoglOreogl Posts: 294
    20 years ago, a seer gated a group of us brave adventurers into the den of an ancient wyrm.  

We thought we were prepared, and fully expected to defeat it.  We were so wrong.  We all died, so so many times.

We quickly abandoned all hope and left the ancient wyrms lair.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    :D
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    edited March 13
    3 GMs, a couple others that I can't remember who they were some 24 odd years ago. Someone gave me a pretty purple horse that they said came from a seer and they were tired of having a character sitting on it logged out all the time because they were afraid to have it in game in case it got deleted. So umm. I wanted it and they gave it to me. Well I paid for it. Think the guy's name was Budwiser. Long gone as far as I know. So I was at the Glow bank on GL prancing about like "oh look at me and my lil pony". Someone must have immediately reported it because within a very short time I had a GM appear. In a millionth of a second I recalled to a friend's home, logged out and logged back in with another char. Next thing I know I'm being grilled by, I swear, at least 3 GMs and a couple of others that I have no idea who or what they were. They wanted to know where the character was, who owned it etc. I lied and lied and lied and denied. I think I was having a mild heart attack at the time I was so nervous and scared. Eventually they went away and I gave away that lil pony to someone else. Yup, they were boss. 

7 years have past so I don't think I can be charged right?
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 270
    Late 1998 or early ‘99 iirc, a GM took control over a ‘Lord of the Abyss’ balron in 3rd lvl Hythloth(sp?) on Atlantic absolutely destroying everyone that dared approach. Word got out that this unkillable beast was lurking & folks started poping gates (back then you could gate into dungeons) asking the community for help.

Having nothing to lose & fully expecting it to be a trap, I did what I’ve always done when seeing strange gates to unknown places... I jumped right in. 1st thing I see are corpses EVERYWHERE & a balron marching towards me with words over his head saying, ‘Ahh, more fools coming to their deaths.’ It was at that moment I realized I’d f—ed up. :o

He wiped out everyone in 1 or 2 melee hits & those that survived ran off only to die a screen away by fireballs, lightning, explosion, or other spells. 30mins in, a group of dedicated mages stayed in the hallway near 2nd lvl 3rd lvl stairs casting e-fields to block the Balron, effectively creating a res spot for everyone. Some brave souls would periodically teleport thru e-fields into the almost certain deathzone & lure the balron off when he would press up against the e-fields waiting for them to drop. This genius tactic kept the res area relatively safe, allowed fighters to get back in the fray much faster, & we started seeing small chips off the GM’s healthbar.

Whoever in control of the balron had a wickedly funny sense of humor :D . The entire fight he smack talked all of us. Not saying this all at once but using many sporadic lines such as: ‘Pathetic... you think that spell can hurt me? Thats right... run you poor excuse for a human. Ahh, more fools dare enter my domain seeking their deaths. I have a gift for you adventurous fools... Death.’  This went on for hours but we would not let these insults go unanswered. Right before he died we got a short monologue from him saying something like, ‘This cannot be... I am eternal. How could these foolish mortals defeat eternity? I shall never be truly destroyed... I will return and all shall feel my vengeance... Beware.’

Took prob 50-60 players almost 2hrs to lay low the beast. In all prob around 150 players involved(or more) but most didn’t/couldn’t stay the entire fight so players came & went as the night wore on. At no time did I see less then 40 players there.

I’ve never seen a boss fight last so long with so many players involved in any game. The balron’s commentary at times was hilarious. One of my fondest memories playing UO, def in the top 10. 

Thanks for making me remember this again ;)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    Skett said:
    @ Pawain 

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    edited March 14
    Similar to first answer. Many years ago.  A community hunt to the Ancient Wyrm in Ilsh.  about 20 in the group, we  decided to kill them until a paragon spawned.  It was on a winding road up a mountain.  Was all fun and games until a paragon spawned. Then the road was littered with our dead bodies. We were just running around dying after that.  I don't remember if we killed it or not.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Acid_Rain said:
    Late 1998 or early ‘99 iirc, a GM took control over a ‘Lord of the Abyss’ balron in 3rd lvl Hythloth(sp?) on Atlantic absolutely destroying everyone that dared approach. Word got out that this unkillable beast was lurking & folks started poping gates (back then you could gate into dungeons) asking the community for help.

Having nothing to lose & fully expecting it to be a trap, I did what I’ve always done when seeing strange gates to unknown places... I jumped right in. 1st thing I see are corpses EVERYWHERE & a balron marching towards me with words over his head saying, ‘Ahh, more fools coming to their deaths.’ It was at that moment I realized I’d f—ed up. :o

He wiped out everyone in 1 or 2 melee hits & those that survived ran off only to die a screen away by fireballs, lightning, explosion, or other spells. 30mins in, a group of dedicated mages stayed in the hallway near 2nd lvl 3rd lvl stairs casting e-fields to block the Balron, effectively creating a res spot for everyone. Some brave souls would periodically teleport thru e-fields into the almost certain deathzone & lure the balron off when he would press up against the e-fields waiting for them to drop. This genius tactic kept the res area relatively safe, allowed fighters to get back in the fray much faster, & we started seeing small chips off the GM’s healthbar.

Whoever in control of the balron had a wickedly funny sense of humor :D . The entire fight he smack talked all of us. Not saying this all at once but using many sporadic lines such as: ‘Pathetic... you think that spell can hurt me? Thats right... run you poor excuse for a human. Ahh, more fools dare enter my domain seeking their deaths. I have a gift for you adventurous fools... Death.’  This went on for hours but we would not let these insults go unanswered. Right before he died we got a short monologue from him saying something like, ‘This cannot be... I am eternal. How could these foolish mortals defeat eternity? I shall never be truly destroyed... I will return and all shall feel my vengeance... Beware.’

Took prob 50-60 players almost 2hrs to lay low the beast. In all prob around 150 players involved(or more) but most didn’t/couldn’t stay the entire fight so players came & went as the night wore on. At no time did I see less then 40 players there.

I’ve never seen a boss fight last so long with so many players involved in any game. The balron’s commentary at times was hilarious. One of my fondest memories playing UO, def in the top 10. 

Thanks for making me remember this again ;)
    Now that sounds like something Wilki would have done.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    Love your story Acid. Those are the kinds of things that for me make this game so special.