Dev M&G Monday, February 26th @ 7pm ET

Dev M&G Monday, February 26th @ 7pm ET

21 February 2024

Greetings,

Please join us at 7pm on Monday, February 26th at 7pm ET on TC1 in Castle Blackthorn for our next Dev Meet & Greet.  Hope to see you there!

-UO Team

Comments

• shootgunshootgun Posts: 288
    I have never joined these, what is the general format? Can we go there and ask about current bugs, requests, etc?
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,122Dev
    You show up, dbl click the queue stone and when it is your turn you can ask a question.
    Thanks a lot!
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    Kyronix said:
    You show up, dbl click the queue stone and when it is your turn you can ask a question.
    @Kyronix

I beg your pardon, but on which Shard will this take place ?

The Announcement says only, without mentioning a Shard : 

21 February 2024
    Greetings,
    Please join us at 7pm on Monday, February 26th at 7pm ET on TC1 in Castle Blackthorn for our next Dev Meet & Greet.  Hope to see you there!
    -UO Team

Thank you for the clarification.

• KelmainKelmain Posts: 12
    popps said:
    Kyronix said:
    @ Kyronix

21 February 2024
    Greetings,
    -UO Team

Not sure if your post has been edited and the answer to your question added but the answer to your question of which shard will this take place on is in your post.

TC1 I will assume is Test Center 1.
    It's probable right at the bottom of the server list in your client.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    edited February 23
    popps said:
    Kyronix said:
    @ Kyronix

21 February 2024
    Greetings,
    -UO Team

LMAO  READ  TC1 is a SHARD and before you ask it is February 26th at 7pm ET.  And people wonder why
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    Kelmain said:
    popps said:
    Kyronix said:
    @ Kyronix

21 February 2024
    Greetings,
    -UO Team

Not sure if your post has been edited and the answer to your question added but the answer to your question of which shard will this take place on is in your post.

Oh, my bad, for some reasons, TC1 just slipped my eyes... I may have read the text too quickly...

Or maybe, I was expecting to read one of the regular Shards... did not expect to read TC1...

Oh well, now I know on what Shard it will be on.

Thank you.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    popps said:
    Kelmain said:
    popps said:
    Kyronix said:
    @ Kyronix

21 February 2024
    Greetings,
    -UO Team

Oh, my bad, for some reasons, TC1 just slipped my eyes... I may have read the text too quickly...

Or maybe, I was expecting to read one of the regular Shards... did not expect to read TC1...

Oh well, now I know on what Shard it will be on.

Thank you.
    They have been held on TC1 for a long time now.  LOL
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    I was happy to be able to attend with my character Uncle Buck. I did not ask any questions. It was good enough just listening to what was on everyone's minds. There was some griefing, but overall a good event. I love this game. Don't play any other games, and can not say I am a gamer at all. Most of the time anymore I just piddle, ride around exploring, housekeep or whatever. Kinda like a secret second life. Pretty happy with that.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Oh, and a picture of the event.

edited February 27
    Yeah I believe it was a great meeting. It was very clear some people showed up in the meeting to troll or shit talk to developers. They must have too much free time.

I was hoping for someone to accidentally spill the beans about the upcoming event or rewards. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

There were a couple good questions. Few people reported current bugs that were happening. Some people asked questions about crafting and gargoyles. It was sad to hear that changes to the missing gargoyle slot, and runic tools for the tinkerers are not on the table right now.

I believe it was extremely unprofessional of Mesanna to threaten to shut down GM events when somebody complained about the lags during GM events. That was extremely unprofessional and childish in my humble opinion. But by that time, the devs and Mesanna had to go over 5-6 trolls in the meeting, so they might be nearing the end of their patience.

I'm glad I attended the event.
  • NyreNyre Posts: 40
    Wow  I made it in Uncle Bucks Picture   LOL    Yes it was a good Meet n Greet unfortunately  I had another event on Catskills  to attend at 8  so I left early   wish they posted a transcript of the M&G.   Thank You anyway for all your hard work and holding these M&Gs
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177

Sorry for those who do not read Stratics, but I always post the transcripts there

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 644
    @Kyronix @Mariah Not sure if this is the best place to bring up my question regarding what you meant by 'a balance pass' in response to my question on bringing back the Vendor NPCs for Governors.  If it should be posted elsewhere please move. Thank you.

Question and responses showed below for reference:

Amber Witch says:Long ago during the days of factions if I remember correctly, the factions could place NPC vendors
    Amber Witch says: In cities to sell basic goods like arrows, bolts, reagents, lumber, ingots, possibly more.
    Mesanna says: yep
    Amber Witch says: This would be a very cool idea to allow Governors to do this for their cities
    Amber Witch says: Would this be possible? If not could you please explain why not? Thank you for your time.
    Amber Witch says: that is my question
    Kyronix says: So really just re-introducing the faction vendors that can be ordered up by the city governor?
    Amber Witch says: aye
    Amber Witch says: as a service
    Kyronix says: We are amenable to the idea
    Kyronix says: but it'd need a balance pass
    Amber Witch says: how so?
    Kyronix says: The faction vendors got pretty borked by the end in terms of economy balance
    Amber Witch says: hm. If I bring this up on the UO. forum could you elaborate there?
    Amber Witch says: I don't want to take your time here
    Kyronix says: Sure, by all means

Thank you.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Overall I think the Dev team did well dealing with some trolls during the M&G and answered some questions differently than I'd have expected so kudos for those things.

Few call outs:

1) When/where was the signup announcement for Beta on UO.com (as was said in the Newsletter)? I was going to signup for testing and was checking UO.com but figured it hadn't happened yet until I saw the M&G transcript of Beta sign ups being closed. It seems a bit unfair people would miss out on signing up because they followed the directions of the newsletter (coming from the Producer).

2) I was sad to see that we will need to yet again wait 3 months for something new to do in the game. The entire premise of the cookie cutter dynamic events (implemented 4 years ago) was to easily drop things in without much work yet here we are starting another year off with nothing new the first quarter of the year. Seems like dropping in a dynamic champ for 30 days starting March 1 should be simple enough to at least give something new to do for a couple weeks leading up to the pirate event.

3) Since nobody else will address the elephant in the room, I will.

I disagree that Stratics is an echo chamber of negativity and would argue that constantly having entire threads locked for discussing "hot topics" or going MONTHs without a Dev update/response is more of a source of negativity than Stratics at this point. 

I understand, to a point, keeping staff restricted to a single forum to reduce the places they need to go to answer questions but to bad mouth another site simply because they aren't so heavy handed on moderating unfavorable feedback (justly deserved a good amount of time) seems a bit in bad taste.
  • @ Kyronix @ Mariah Not sure if this is the best place to bring up my question regarding what you meant by 'a balance pass' in response to my question on bringing back the Vendor NPCs for Governors.  If it should be posted elsewhere please move. Thank you.

Amber Witch says:Long ago during the days of factions if I remember correctly, the factions could place NPC vendors
    Amber Witch says: In cities to sell basic goods like arrows, bolts, reagents, lumber, ingots, possibly more.
    Amber Witch says: This would be a very cool idea to allow Governors to do this for their cities
    Amber Witch says: Would this be possible? If not could you please explain why not? Thank you for your time.
    Kyronix says: So really just re-introducing the faction vendors that can be ordered up by the city governor?
    Kyronix says: The faction vendors got pretty borked by the end in terms of economy balance
    Amber Witch says: hm. If I bring this up on the UO. forum could you elaborate there?

Thank you.

Do we really need more resource vendors? 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    keven2002 said:

I disagree that Stratics is an echo chamber of negativity and would argue that constantly having entire threads locked for discussing "hot topics" or going MONTHs without a Dev update/response is more of a source of negativity than Stratics at this point. 

I disagree with your disagreement. When Taylor was in charge it was ok. I haven't posted there in years and vividly remember the heckling from forum pets and post/thread deletions that didn't fall in line with their vision. Just the JC incident alone was cause to never trust anyone that had power there.

The M&G: I don't understand the problem with updating old content into something new to line up with today's UO. Old quests need updating. Brit library. Castle blackthorn. We've got so much unused space that could be made into something everyone could enjoy.
  • Urge said:
    keven2002 said:

I disagree with your disagreement. When Taylor was in charge it was ok. I haven't posted there in years and vividly remember the heckling from forum pets and post/thread deletions that didn't fall in line with their vision. Just the JC incident alone was cause to never trust anyone that had power there.

Agreed. 
    keven2002 said:
    Overall I think the Dev team did well dealing with some trolls during the M&G and answered some questions differently than I'd have expected so kudos for those things.

Few call outs:

1) When/where was the signup announcement for Beta on UO.com (as was said in the Newsletter)? I was going to signup for testing and was checking UO.com but figured it hadn't happened yet until I saw the M&G transcript of Beta sign ups being closed. It seems a bit unfair people would miss out on signing up because they followed the directions of the newsletter (coming from the Producer).

2) I was sad to see that we will need to yet again wait 3 months for something new to do in the game. The entire premise of the cookie cutter dynamic events (implemented 4 years ago) was to easily drop things in without much work yet here we are starting another year off with nothing new the first quarter of the year. Seems like dropping in a dynamic champ for 30 days starting March 1 should be simple enough to at least give something new to do for a couple weeks leading up to the pirate event.

I understand, to a point, keeping staff restricted to a single forum to reduce the places they need to go to answer questions but to bad mouth another site simply because they aren't so heavy handed on moderating unfavorable feedback (justly deserved a good amount of time) seems a bit in bad taste.

Alpha signups are currently closed - we haven't released anything on beta yet.  I haven't re-read the transcript but if beta was said, alpha was intended.

It is definitely easier for us to implement dynamic events, however we've had to adjust the deployment from how we intended it to how it currently functions based on available resources.  I know you (and others) love calling these cookie cutter (and admittedly, there are repetitive aspects) but they are extremely popular so while we are focusing on what works.  We're also getting Vet Rewards going as well as some updates for the coming event that will make it less cookie cutter...so it's gonna take some time.

As far as the last part - there's a difference between unfavorable feedback and outright toxicity.  There's a lot of that in the gaming world right now, and there really isn't any need for it.  Feedback is an important part of the development cycle and we read, discuss, and ruminate on anything that is actionable that pops up.  The amount of actionable feedback we garner from this forum grossly outweighs what we've gotten from other forums in the decade plus I've been on the team.  I think everyone across gaming would do well to take a step back and recognize they are only seeing a piece of the picture, and while they are of course allowed to postulate, pontificate, and hypothesize at the end of the day those behind the curtain are the only ones who really see the full picture.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    edited March 1
    I'd rather have spoilers about the upcoming event rather than wasting time trying to pacify toxic posters who don't care about the facts behind the scenes.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Urge said:
    keven2002 said:

The M&G: I don't understand the problem with updating old content into something new to line up with today's UO. Old quests need updating. Brit library. Castle blackthorn. We've got so much unused space that could be made into something everyone could enjoy.

I'll follow up on the old content bit - we get this pretty often...the sticky part of it is when we plug into the "everyone could enjoy" part of it.  Part of the challenge we face is the elder nature of the game - when it comes to functional rewards (those that most players would agree are the most desirable) we are constantly balancing power creep vs. that inherent desirability.  There are few constants in game dev, but what I've always been fascinated by is the feedback as it correlates to the rewards - not just in UO, but in any game.  The better the rewards, the more you can lean into that with limited ability to update mechanics etc.  That's not to say it's impossible, but it's definitely a challenge.
    @ Kyronix @ Mariah Not sure if this is the best place to bring up my question regarding what you meant by 'a balance pass' in response to my question on bringing back the Vendor NPCs for Governors.  If it should be posted elsewhere please move. Thank you.

Thank you.

To elaborate on this - what would you be looking to achieve by having control of placing these vendors?  What could they offer that is not currently offered elsewhere?  With factions there was the pricing side of it, but that didn't do much to help an already broken and elder economy.  So, with that I'd be apprehensive to bring them back just as a cheap way to provide resources.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Kyronix said:
    @ Kyronix @ Mariah Not sure if this is the best place to bring up my question regarding what you meant by 'a balance pass' in response to my question on bringing back the Vendor NPCs for Governors.  If it should be posted elsewhere please move. Thank you.

Thank you.

To elaborate on this - what would you be looking to achieve by having control of placing these vendors?  What could they offer that is not currently offered elsewhere?  With factions there was the pricing side of it, but that didn't do much to help an already broken and elder economy.  So, with that I'd be apprehensive to bring them back just as a cheap way to provide resources.
    Can my tiller man sell commodity deeds?
    Grimbeard said:
    Kyronix said:

Thank you.

Sure, 1 plat a piece. 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Kyronix said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Kyronix said:

Thank you.

Sure, 1 plat a piece. 
    Tree fiddy for a hold big enough to do monger quest with out needing them ?
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    Grimbeard said:
    Kyronix said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Kyronix said:

Thank you.

Sure, 1 plat a piece. 
    Tree fiddy for a hold big enough to do monger quest with out needing them ?

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited March 1
    Kyronix said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Kyronix said:

Thank you.

Sure, 1 plat a piece. 

:p

Can we at least use the tiller man as a stable. I can pay one time payment of tree fiddy millions of gold :D
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177
    I would think that Governor placed NPC Vendors, for the main reason, would go towards helping the Governors maintain their trade deals. Seeing as those cost 2 million gold per week, which I know seems like pennies to some, to others it's a lot more.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Kyronix said:

I'll follow up on the old content bit - we get this pretty often...the sticky part of it is when we plug into the "everyone could enjoy" part of it.  Part of the challenge we face is the elder nature of the game - when it comes to functional rewards (those that most players would agree are the most desirable) we are constantly balancing power creep vs. that inherent desirability.  There are few constants in game dev, but what I've always been fascinated by is the feedback as it correlates to the rewards - not just in UO, but in any game.  The better the rewards, the more you can lean into that with limited ability to update mechanics etc.  That's not to say it's impossible, but it's definitely a challenge.

I get the whole rewards issue but doing something, anything seems better than leaving some great content to rot with only a memory. 

Library rewards have never been touched in the 12+(?) years. They were some of the first items involved in the power creep but they've been left in the dust since. 

Some of the old simple non runic heartwood quests seem to have been left out when the loot table changed. Granted, i didn't do very extensive testing, but loot seemed to be on par with the loot table of old or todays very lowest loot table. 

With the blackthorn dungeon, i was speaking more about all the empty space. Rewards are fine. 
    Urge said:
    With the blackthorn dungeon, i was speaking more about all the empty space. Rewards are fine. 
    I would like to be able to get few pieces of blackthorn when my guild is not around. The feeling of guild hunt ending when I had 97 mini arties, and waiting another week to claim the item I want is bad.

Do you guys remember why did they delete parts of that dungeon? Was there a bug?