Who decided to add that "grab and hold" ability to the Hythloth Paras?

2»

Comments

• ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    edited November 2021
    I have 120 real Healing and 120 real Resisting Spells also, so why do I get sucked in and hit and you don't?
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited November 2021
    The type of "paralyze" PlayerSkillFTW describes is not related to the paralyze spell.  It's not affected by resisting spells either.  
    “I think you are incorrect, I think it is the paralise spell however it’s not resisted by resisting spells due to the high magery/eval of the paragon balron. 
    My initial suggestion of the trapped box has for some reason gone ignored”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,344
    I use a trapped box, but they do tend to chain it. So it kind of goes 'para, hit box, para, hit box, para - oh for God sake!  Gerroff!
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,945
    I use a trapped box, but they do tend to chain it. So it kind of goes 'para, hit box, para, hit box, para - oh for God sake!  Gerroff!
    That is my gripe with Curses and having to remove them over and over, it gets old....
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,344
    It's mildly annoying, and I accept it as the price I pay for not having resist spells. I don't consider it to be 'game breaking'.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 796
    edited November 2021
    Yoshi said:
    The type of "paralyze" PlayerSkillFTW describes is not related to the paralyze spell.  It's not affected by resisting spells either.  
    “I think you are incorrect, I think it is the paralise spell however it’s not resisted by resisting spells due to the high magery/eval of the paragon balron. 
    My initial suggestion of the trapped box has for some reason gone ignored”

Not incorrect.  In fact, @popps and somebody else noted it can even happen while you are dead.  A monster teleports to you while you are moving -- usually not a paragon -- and you stop moving briefly.  It's not lag, and it happens even when there is nobody else around, and no "residual" spells are pending against you.  Easy to reproduce by walking around dead in hythloth -- I just observed this too, while dead.

Trapped boxes cannot be used by the dead, and usually only resurrect spell can be used on the dead.

Again, it's not a spell at work here.

I bring this up because it's interesting to consider what other cases there may be in the game where entities freeze when not necessary.  Imagine if this happens at scale in an EM event. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I have had a creature teleport to me, and it stops me for one tile movement, does not paralyse me for any significant period of time”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    It might not be paralyzing as you can start healing yourself or pet while paralyzed 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 228
    edited November 2021
    The "anti-stuck" teleporting mechanic has been a lag generator since its original inception with city invasions. 

Feedback on the feature was requested by Kyronix, but not many bothered to test it: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/8338/testing-mobs-getting-stuck-in-treasures-dungeons

The lag/rubberbanding/freezing when mobs teleport to you was reported and is still an issue.

Honestly I couldn't care less about a few random 'stuck' mobs in the dungeon, especially with the lag the fix can create. During the Treasures of Ice event ,there was someone that was constantly complaining about a random white wyrm being in an unreachable location, which probably contributed to this 'fix' being implemented across all treasures events.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• Khyro said:
    The "anti-stuck" teleporting mechanic has been a lag generator since its original inception with city invasions. 

Feedback on the feature was requested by Kyronix, but not many bothered to test it: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/8338/testing-mobs-getting-stuck-in-treasures-dungeons

The lag/rubberbanding/freezing when mobs teleport to you was reported and is still an issue.

Honestly I couldn't care less about a few random 'stuck' mobs in the dungeon, especially with the lag the fix can create. During the Treasures of Ice event ,there was someone that was constantly complaining about a random white wyrm being in an unreachable location, which probably contributed to this 'fix' being implemented across all treasures events.
    The old post you link to also has an alternate fix for the "stuck mobs" issue - bound where they can spawn.  Most of the dungeons seems to already have spawn bounding boxes, e.g. where the crazed mage spawns, etc.  Agreed that getting rid of the current "stuck mob" logic is preferred to leaving it as-is.  The stuck mob teleport logic rarely even works as-is anyway...

The underlying primitive / routine that is causing the freezing/lag/rubberbanding should be re-worked or eliminated outright, as should any other instances of code that causes un-necessary such freezing/lag/etc.  I imagine lag at EM events and other busy areas could be dramatically reduced with some focus here.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,074
    edited November 2021
    I have seen very few teleporting from inaccessible places.  So, that did not fix the ones we can not reach.

Most of the ones I see are just in a room next to where I am.  I could have walked over and got them.

Also I just have a small delay from those.  I think the OP was referring to actual Paralyze from mobs. 

A few behind walls in Hythloth can be killed by an archer in a corner.  If they can hit you, you usually can target them with an archer or caster.

The ones in the dark area near the entry are annoying because you cant set your pet to guard you because the mob targets you and the pet walks around the corner and tries to fight them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.