EJ players can't visit private houses?

JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
edited April 2018 in General Discussions
Any reasons for that? Seems they can enter any public house though?!

Pretty stupid... couldn't even get that poor bugger into my house to craft him a suit.. doubt he will spent money after what we experienced yesterday..
Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
«1

Comments

  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 835
    edited April 2018

    https://uo.com/endless-journey/

    Housing & Vendors

    ***Endless Journey accounts*** may not place, own, be traded, or co-own a house and ***may only enter public housing***. Endless Journey accounts can be friended to a house for access to wall safes.

    ----
    Even the fact that  a "poor bugger" find too difficult to read ***a single page*** of info is to blame to Mesanna "death wish" for UO?
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    Ok, but what are the reasons for it? I still find it pretty silly

    Can't really blame him if he sacks UO again for something more enjoyable.. can't do this, can't do that..
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • JollyJade said:
    Ok, but what are the reasons for it? I still find it pretty silly

    Can't really blame him if he sacks UO again for something more enjoyable.. can't do this, can't do that..
    Well the obvious reason is to give you a reason to sub so you are left wanting. I do agree they went way to far  particularly with storage. You can still get him in the house by friending him to the house, making it public but then clicking the door/teleporters and changing access to friends. Strangers can't access your house but your friended characters can.
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    JollyJade said:
    Ok, but what are the reasons for it? I still find it pretty silly

    Can't really blame him if he sacks UO again for something more enjoyable.. can't do this, can't do that..
    Well the obvious reason is to give you a reason to sub so you are left wanting. I do agree they went way to far  particularly with storage. You can still get him in the house by friending him to the house, making it public but then clicking the door/teleporters and changing access to friends. Strangers can't access your house but your friended characters can.
    Thanks for the answer. My house is in Fel though. Making it public is not an option when you don't want thieves waiting for you in your frontyard.

    But as you say, when I set my house to public its all good. So the argument to entice them to subscribing seems pretty mood.

    That's also why I can't see any good reason why they are not allowed to enter private houses. Seems pretty arbitrary to me :| And AFAIK you can't friend EJ accounts? Got to try this next time maybe. But after those couple of first days I'm rather disappointed with picking up EJ players and seeing them only LOL at the whole fiasco.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    EJ players can't be friended or made co-owners, they also cannot access any secure storage or locked down items.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 835
    edited April 2018
    jaytin said:
    ***EJ players can't be friended*** or made co-owners, they also cannot access any secure storage or locked down items.
    This is incorrect.
    --------------------------------

    Ultima Online™: Endless Journey

    Housing & Vendors

    Can Endless Journey accounts own a house?

    Endless Journey accounts may not place, own, be traded, or co-own a house and may only enter public housing. ***Endless Journey accounts can be friended to a house for access to wall safes***.

    -------------------------------

    On one thing I ask confimation @Kyronix : if one places a Wall Safe on an exterior wall of a Private House, can a EJer be friended to that house and so access it?

    I.




  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    Ok so if I set my house public and put a wall safe they can just access it?

    If I put my house private and have a normal chest they can no access it?

    Still trying to find any logic. Maybe an official answer could shed some light? @Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I'm a bit confused too, I thought they said you couldn't add EJ characters as friends. Did they change that? Or can they only access wall safes? I'm sat here scratching my head...  :o
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,033
    JollyJade said:
    Ok so if I set my house public and put a wall safe they can just access it?

    If I put my house private and have a normal chest they can no access it?

    Still trying to find any logic. Maybe an official answer could shed some light? @ Kyronix @ Bleak @ Mesanna
    Isn't the wall safe for money only?  EJ accounts are not allowed any kind of storage what so ever for some reason, even when friended to a house.  Every type of storage that was suggested during testing, blue bugs, ships were all taken away.  At least they are getting some Bank storage and hopefully they will get the Vaults worked out too.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 835
    edited April 2018
    Bilbo said:
    JollyJade said:
    Ok so if I set my house public and put a wall safe they can just access it?

    If I put my house private and have a normal chest they can no access it?

    Still trying to find any logic. Maybe an official answer could shed some light? @ Kyronix @ Bleak @ Mesanna
    Isn't the wall safe for money only?  EJ accounts are not allowed any kind of storage what so ever for some reason, even when friended to a house.  Every type of storage that was suggested during testing, blue bugs, ships were all taken away.  At least they are getting some Bank storage and hopefully they will get the Vaults worked out too.
    Again on the darn Storage & Beetles???

    After the OFFICIAL @Kyronix reply on the topic, the grumbles on the darn beetles still go on and on and on?

    Not even the Phoenix fanatic has been so maniacally fixed!!! :D

    NOBODY IN ITS RIGHT MIND WANT EJ TO BECAME A PARADISE OF CHEAPO VET FREELOADERS (literally... :D ), beside the cheapo vets that want to be freeloaders themselves, and the UO team is TO COMEND for every darn step it takes to keep the parasites-to-be at bay!

    Is it clearer now?

    Holy Blackthorn, this storage-griefing is capable to make a SAINT lose its patience... :#
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    Yea but in practice they ended up at "NOBODY IN ITS RIGHT MIND WANT EJ TO BECAME A PARADISE FOR RETURNING PLAYERS"

    After all read my initial post again. I'm not even asking for storage. Someone derailed the thread a bit in that direction.

    I'm mainly asking why they can't enter my house, stand next to me, chat to me, look at my things, ...
    Things they perfectly can do in any Trammel house that doesn't have to worry about public/private security.

    The usual stuff when you take a new player to your house to get him a suit and maybe a spellbook.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    Just out of curiousity: When was the last time you guys picked up a new player in Haven? I have a guess ....
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 835
    edited April 2018
    JollyJade said:
    Just out of curiousity: When was the last time you guys picked up a new player in Haven? I have a guess ....
    Nobody picked ever me up, nor at Haven, nor at New Naven, not this time, not in 2006, not in 1998: I read the wikies (or what was available then) and managed. Is it so difficult? I, for myself, found it absolutely funny instead... :)
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    I thought so. No further questions ;)

    But I personally play UO to have fun with people. And usually those newer players are more fun than to bank sit all day. But that's up to everyone's personal preferences..

    Still initial question remains: Why can't EJ accounts enter private houses while it seems totally ok that they enter a public house?
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 835
    edited April 2018
    JollyJade said:
    (...)

    Still initial question remains: Why can't EJ accounts enter private houses while it seems totally ok that they enter a public house?
    And, on that specific question, I can associate myself too! :)
    But, please, NO MORE DARN BEETLES: I'm starting to feel myself as if I were inside a Kafka novel... :D ;)
    I.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,033
    LOL Does someone need a hug.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 835
    edited April 2018
    Bilbo said:
    LOL Does someone need a hug.
    A hug maybe, another post on beetle BUG... no, thanks! :p  ;)
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    I personally would like an qualified answer to my question :)  Wishful thinking I guess..

    Lots of trolling, banter and some derailing, but no qualified answer yet.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 528
    @JollyJade, I too was dismayed upon reading that EJ players cannot visit private homes.  I have fond memories of a kind player actually taking the time to talk to me, take me to his house, and give me some pointers and some BOD reward picks and shovels about a week after I started playing.  I was on the verge of quitting at that point and if he hadn't taken the time to actually talk to me, I doubt I would have stuck around. 

    UO is an MMO, after all.  And how many of us received similar kind treatment and paid it forward by helping out other new players as we encountered them?  I always felt like taking the time to gate them to my house so they could see a simple example of what was possible with housing, talking with them, doing a few things with them, and yes, maybe handing them a few simple items, might make all the difference in them sticking around for a while too.

    So, no, I don't really understand why EJ players cannot visit private homes.  It's not like giving them access only would let them log out safely in the house.  They would be bounced right out of it if they logged out.  If the prohibition to keep them from using house storage and non-vet reward items in the house was maintained, they also couldn't use the house's storage either.  What harm could letting them visit and stand inside the house do?
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    Margrette said:
    [...] What harm could letting them visit and stand inside the house do?
    I could not have said it any better. I too have fond memories when I was picked up by someone the first day I started.

    He laughed at me because I was holding a crossbow as a mage and trying to kill skeletons in Haven. Nobody told me that's not a thing until he did. I also didn't have arrows and I also didn't know you have to toggle war mode.

    I'm still friends with him and visit him in his castle regularly.

    On the other hand I did the same to dozens of new players over the years, and those are the best memories I have for UO. I was actually excited to see more people, but then shattered as I couldn't even take them into my home sweet home.

    But it's particularly that last question you raise that I'm trying to understand. I also can't see any harm and yet nobody could provide an explanation here :/
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 578
    Just to clarify ...

    EJ can be friended to a house, but they gain NO advantage from this beyond being given access to a wall safe. One reason I can think of for this is an attempt to put a dent in the number of people we all know are going to be afk training. Some people seem to feel safer doing this in private. This rule also allows a player to walk up to a suspected scripter easier and try to speak to them before paging on them. There might be other reasons, but that's the most logical that I can think of.

    This might be a bit of inconvenience for some home owners, but it IS possible to secure a public house in a Fel ruleset.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,033
    Could it be for PvP reasons?  Not many houses are set to private in Tram rule set but they are in Fel
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited April 2018
    Tanager said:
    This might be a bit of inconvenience for some home owners, but it IS possible to secure a public house in a Fel ruleset.
    But then I had to remove my open front yard :( Otherwise I get robbed before I hit the teleporter to the inside.

    Funny that they made an exception for wall safes. So at least the scripters and what not can exchange gold ???

    I guess I will just have to stop taking people to my house because there could be this one scripter abusing it. Too bad.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,059
    jaytin said:
    EJ players can't be friended or made co-owners, they also cannot access any secure storage or locked down items.
    yep I found that out when I pulled an account out of mothballs, tried to friend a char.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 528
    What kind of blows me away is that if you have a public house with a wall safe and had the security set for friends and deposited gold into the safe from your secure account, apparently any character on an EJ account can come along and withdraw from that gold.  
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 528
    edited April 2018
    Tanager said:
    Just to clarify ...

    EJ can be friended to a house, but they gain NO advantage from this beyond being given access to a wall safe. 
    Edited to correct this: You can add an EJ character as a friend to a public house but not to a private house. First screen shot shows result trying to add Aida at a private house. Second shows result of adding at a public house. (She took the gold from the safe BEFORE she was friended.)



  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 528
    edited April 2018
    Apparently can't edit and add an image. So this shows the result of adding her as a friend to a public house after she swiped the gold from the safe. GRRR need new picture as that one shows the gold seller's url.

    I give up.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Margrette said:
    What kind of blows me away is that if you have a public house with a wall safe and had the security set for friends and deposited gold into the safe from your secure account, apparently any character on an EJ account can come along and withdraw from that gold.  
    Wait!! What?!? Is that true? I confess I could never work out what to do with those wall safes, so I trashed mine... but that is quite worrying!  :o
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 528
    jaytin said:
    Margrette said:
    What kind of blows me away is that if you have a public house with a wall safe and had the security set for friends and deposited gold into the safe from your secure account, apparently any character on an EJ account can come along and withdraw from that gold.  
    Wait!! What?!? Is that true? I confess I could never work out what to do with those wall safes, so I trashed mine... but that is quite worrying!  :o
    Yeah, I bungled the picture-posting process.  But I had Susannah throw some gold in the secure account for her public house.  Then Aida, a character on an old account I set up a long time ago for one of my nephews and that was never used and is now in EJ status, came along and took all the gold from the safe.  

    I had previously tried friending Aida to my private castle and that didn't work.  After playing with the safe and having her check to see what she could use in the public house, I tried friending her because it was still nagging at me that there was something that said characters can be friended for the safe.  Apparently friending her worked.  OR, and this I don't know for sure yet, maybe her using the safe added her as a friend?

    I will need to experiment more because if that is what happened (she became a friend of the house by using the safe as an EJ character), that's even more bizarre.

  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 307
    Something isn't right with your set-up then.

    I just took 2 EJ accounts, deposited gold from Acct 1 into the safe, logged into ANOTHER EJ acct and tried to withdraw it and it didn't let me. (And yes I tried deposit AND withdraw, the second EJ account could NOT access the 500 gold the first EJ account has in there.)



Sign In or Register to comment.