Can target mount with spells while riding

YoshiYoshi Posts: 301
edited March 25 in Bugs
"if you target a mount (either your own or a third party's) and then someone mounts the pet, using "last target" you're still able to cast spells on the pet, including mana vampire, poison, paralise, invisibility, heal, gift of renewal etc, mount does not receive damage but is affected by the above curses/heals/blesses, so as soon as someone steps off the mount it will be pre paralysed/poisoned etc, also it gives an unintended advantage that a mage can cast mana vampire on a pet while remaining mounted

Expected result: for last target to give the message, target cannot be seen when mount is being ridden"
Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 400
    I actually like this,

Pro-tip. if you use the 'old target system' you can target ethereal mounts while riding it ;)
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 301
    edited March 27
    “The issue is, the unfair advantage is to the animal tamer, if i can heal my dread mare while the victim is unable to defend themselves by damaging it. They would have to riding swipe to even the playing field, if an archer or mage dismounts me, and damages dreadmare to redline, can just remount and heal it while victim cannot further damage pet.

also unfair advantage to mage over a warrior, the victim has invested 120 skill points in resisting spells, only for the mage to be able to mana vamp his own pet without risk of my pet being killed.

Related issue: if a pet discord’s a mob and you ride the pet, the mob stays discorded.
    expected result: to lose line of sight as pet is no longer a valid target in range of mob.”

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in order to protect the reader.
    edited March 28
    "i have successfully managed to escalate this bug to exploit status, if you train one of the following mounts in wrestling skill:

Bane Dragon

Coconut Crab

Dread Warhorse

Eowmu

Fire Beetle

Fire Steed

Giant Beetle

Grizzled Mare

Ki-Rin

Lasher

Nightmare

Nightmare (Legacy)

Skeletal Cat

Unicorn

Wildfire Ostard

Windrunner

you're presented with an option for "battle defense", the pet when engaged in combat will regularly perform "bodyguard" which will last up to 90 seconds depending on the pets parry skill, if you then mount the pet, you will continue to be under the pets bodyguard protection, however pet will not receive damage. This works for PvP damage also.

Expected result: for mount to lose sight of owner and break bodyguard upon mounting"

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 93
    edited March 28
    Here's an alternative way of thinking about this.

A mountable pet, and a player not riding the pet, with player occupying the same square as pet is at distance = 0, according to the server.  If the player then mounts the pet, the player is essentially touching the pet, and is in effect at distance = 0 from the player.  The pet can surely still "see" a target that it previously discorded.  As long as the pet remains in range of the discorded target, all seems fine here.

So then, an interesting question to ask is whether the pet is capable of "multi-tasking", while being ridden.  Given most pets have DEX and/or INT on par or far higher than any player character, the practical answer to this is probably a yes.  

That brings us around to the question of whether pets should be able to be targeted while they are mounted.  It does seem strange that a pet can't be damaged while being mounted.  If there is any "exploit" in this thread, perhaps this is the only thing that could be considered such.

Otherwise, seems like some in this thread should consider pursuing security penetration testing.

• PawainPawain Posts: 4,122
    Finally body guard may be used.
    edited April 11