Idea to help with Artisan festival

@Kyronix @Mesanna

I've heard some people having issues on lower population shards getting the star on the tree because not enough BODs are turned in.

I think something that would help this (and really help everyone with a crafter) would be to make BOD books work like the PowerScroll/Alacrity/Transcendence book where they only take up 1 item spot. 

I'm to the point with my crafter where I refuse the single item BODs that cannot be put into a large (this is across almost all professions) because I am pushing max storage in my house due to all the BOD books I have. If the BOD books only took one item spot then I would accept all of the single item bods and use those towards the tree.
  1. Do you think BOD Books should only take 1 item spot (regardless of BODs in book)?13 votes
    1. Yes - BOD Books should work like the Powerscroll/Alacrity/Transcendence books
      84.62%
    2. No - BOD Books should continue to take up multiple item count depending on the amount of BODS inside
      15.38%

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Storage is not the issue for the trees not getting done - it's simply people don't want to put the larges toward it. The BOD books can be put on a vendor and made Not For Sale - thus not taking up any house storage.
    It helps also to take the smalls that don't fit in a large, fill it, turn it in, and get new one in hopes that the new does fit somewhere. This takes time and resources, another thing most people don't want to give.
    I filled enough larges to max out all the trees for my shard this year. ME - one person. (I had some friends donate BODs to me - empty bods - I still had to fill them all.) If a shard - no matter how small wanted to max out the trees they can do it. It takes time and work. Is it the most exciting thing to do in game? No; but if you want the rewards; it can be done.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,929
    keven2002 said:
    @ Kyronix @ Mesanna

I've heard some people having issues on lower population shards getting the star on the tree because not enough BODs are turned in.

I think something that would help this (and really help everyone with a crafter) would be to make BOD books work like the PowerScroll/Alacrity/Transcendence book where they only take up 1 item spot. 

I'm to the point with my crafter where I refuse the single item BODs that cannot be put into a large (this is across almost all professions) because I am pushing max storage in my house due to all the BOD books I have. If the BOD books only took one item spot then I would accept all of the single item bods and use those towards the tree.
    This has been asked for a long time....

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/6943/a-discussion-for-the-change-to-bulk-order-books-yes-again
    Marge said:
    Storage is not the issue for the trees not getting done - it's simply people don't want to put the larges toward it. The BOD books can be put on a vendor and made Not For Sale - thus not taking up any house storage.
    It helps also to take the smalls that don't fit in a large, fill it, turn it in, and get new one in hopes that the new does fit somewhere. This takes time and resources, another thing most people don't want to give.
    I filled enough larges to max out all the trees for my shard this year. ME - one person. (I had some friends donate BODs to me - empty bods - I still had to fill them all.) If a shard - no matter how small wanted to max out the trees they can do it. It takes time and work. Is it the most exciting thing to do in game? No; but if you want the rewards; it can be done.
    Storage has a big part in it.

Festival Trees take way too many points and even Large BODs only give little banking points.

This means that, to cover up a Tree, a LOT, but really a lot of BODs are needed.

Sure, BODs can be put on a Vendor but, unfortunately, in order to have a Vendor a House needs to be made public and many players do NOT want to set their House as Public, whatever the reasons.

So, that "work around" is not available to all those players who, whatever their reasons, do not want to set their House as public in order to have a vendor to carry BOD books.

Now, if Broadsword was to permit PRIVATE houses to host BODs we would be having a different discussion.

But as it is now, to my opinion, Bulk Order Deeds Books should be made to only count for 1 items regardless of how many BODs they hold.
    popps said:

Sure, BODs can be put on a Vendor but, unfortunately, in order to have a Vendor a House needs to be made public and many players do NOT want to set their House as Public, whatever the reasons.

So, that "work around" is not available to all those players who, whatever their reasons, do not want to set their House as public in order to have a vendor to carry BOD books.
    A house can be set public and the doors can be set to owner only. No one can get in and you can still put vendors.

popps said:

This means that, to cover up a Tree, a LOT, but really a lot of BODs are needed.

It took me 217 large smith deeds of various amounts and color ore types to grow the Yew tree from nothing to Star this morning.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,140
    @Marge - Using vendors as BOD storage is a bug that I do not really want to exploit mainly because I do not want my house public (I live in Fel) where if I gate from my house anyone can come in. 

Also, I've become very picky with my BODs since I have limited room these days so I'm actually refusing LBODs too (weapons/low end ones that won't get me what I need). If the DEVs made it so BOD books only took 1 item spot, I would be able to have a BOD book labeled "XMAS TREE" where I could dump the BODs I normally refuse.

I could be wrong here but I'm fairly confident that if I passed them out around now for people to do a few they wouldn't mind hoping on their crafter and helping. I'd certainly do that because worst case scenario I give someone 5 junk bods and they don't do they; no real loss to me there as they were free and not taking up an space.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 290

What would be ideal for me would be 1x book pr prefession.
    One for Smith, one for Tailor, One for bowcraft, One for Carpentry, one for Tinker, One for Chef.

Then I could use the filters in book to find what I need, 10s/15s/20s, different color ingot/boards etc.

As for space in backpack, house and bank,

In backpack make it one book 100items
    In bank make it one book 100items
    When locked down in a house make it 500 or 1000 space

BODs on vendors is a nono, it just ruins the system and it was never made for storage on vendors.

• Straight from the UO Wiki regarding BOD Books on Vendors:

BOD Books and Vendors

BOD books may be placed on vendors in two different ways:

1) Place the book on a vendor and set it to “not for sale”, then set a price for the individual BODS. The book will allow the buyers to buy single orders from within the book at the price specified. The filtering options are of course also available to potential buyers.

2) Place the book on a vendor and set it to “not for sale” but do not set prices for the BODs. This is a legitimate form of storage for BODs only.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    We the fishermen and women of  UO demand a tree at the floating dock that can be build with fish and no name crab and lobster !!
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Shandara said:
    Straight from the UO Wiki regarding BOD Books on Vendors:

BOD Books and Vendors

BOD books may be placed on vendors in two different ways:

1) Place the book on a vendor and set it to “not for sale”, then set a price for the individual BODS. The book will allow the buyers to buy single orders from within the book at the price specified. The filtering options are of course also available to potential buyers.

2) Place the book on a vendor and set it to “not for sale” but do not set prices for the BODs. This is a legitimate form of storage for BODs only.

But , as of now, in order to have Vendors, even with items not for sale, it is necessary to set the House as Public and there is lots of players who do NOT want to do that.

So, this "work around" is of no use to them.

There is lots of reasons to have full BOD books count as 1 item in place of the 100 that they do today.
    Thank you for finding that Shandara.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,174
    And the whole having to set your house public and some people not wanting to do that argument is  invalid because as it's already been stated you can set your door security. Both my houses on Siege are public but no one can get in other then to come on my porch to harvest my fruit trees and grab a chocolate strawberry from my fountain :)

Thank you too Larisa. :)
    As for opening a gate inside a public Fel house, seems just stepping out right outside your door to open it would work. I'm always being told Fel is dead so I'm thinking a quick gate right outside your door would be safe.
    Larisa said:
    And the whole having to set your house public and some people not wanting to do that argument is  invalid because as it's already been stated you can set your door security. Both my houses on Siege are public but no one can get in other then to come on my porch to harvest my fruit trees and grab a chocolate strawberry from my fountain :)
    There is a hack which can permit to access Public homes bypassing the doors security, unfortunately.

This may not be an issue for Homes in Trammel but for Homes in Felucca it might be.

The only way, I was told, to avoid such hack, is to set the House as private.
    @Larisa & @Marge - You claim things are "invalid" but you are essentially giving work a work around to something that does not operate like any other "book". I shouldn't need to make my house public and run outside to gate or whatever other nonsense simply because I want to collect BODs from all professions. It was one thing when it was only Smith/Tailor bods but when they expanded to several other professions I now come back with about 20 BODs per trip as opposed to 6. 

Is there a reason you seem to be against making a BOD book 1 item?

How does it hurt anyone to make BOD books 1 item? If you can give me a valid reason here please do.

Using a reverse of your logic, you would be fine if they changed the new books (PS/Alac/Trans) to function like BOD books then so you can throw those on your vendor too?
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    keven2002 said:
    @ Larisa & @ Marge - You claim things are "invalid" but you are essentially giving work a work around to something that does not operate like any other "book". I shouldn't need to make my house public and run outside to gate or whatever other nonsense simply because I want to collect BODs from all professions. It was one thing when it was only Smith/Tailor bods but when they expanded to several other professions I now come back with about 20 BODs per trip as opposed to 6. 

Is there a reason you seem to be against making a BOD book 1 item?

How does it hurt anyone to make BOD books 1 item? If you can give me a valid reason here please do.

Using a reverse of your logic, you would be fine if they changed the new books (PS/Alac/Trans) to function like BOD books then so you can throw those on your vendor too?
    Don't forget the jewelery box. Or the garden shed. They all count as 1 item.
    It's not so much I'm against it - it is simply the developers have said NO at EVERY Meet and Greet it has been asked about - which is just about all of them. They are not changing it so we are trying to help you find way to deal with the current BOD Item Count situation.  
    Marge said:
    It's not so much I'm against it - it is simply the developers have said NO at EVERY Meet and Greet it has been asked about - which is just about all of them. They are not changing it so we are trying to help you find way to deal with the current BOD Item Count situation.  
    Thank you @Marge - I didn't realize it had already been brought up and denied at multiple meet and greets. That said, I still don't think that mean it wouldn't be helpful to everyone in the game with no drawbacks that I can think of.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,174
    I remember Kyronix saying at a meet and greet once that BOD's are meant to be filled and turned in, not hoarded. I see his point. With the new points system you don't need specific BOD's to get specific rewards. Get a BOD, bribe it to max, fill it, turn it in..rinse and repeat. What I have been doing for the festival. I had a large 20 normal golden platemail bod, all my smalls were of varying metals and sizes. I bribed every single one to 20 exp Valorite, cost roughly 700k and nets me 240 banked points.

Some of you might not LIKE it...but that's how it's supposed to work. Fill smalls that can't be used in larges to get more, just work the system, don't let the system work you.

Larisa said:
    I remember Kyronix saying at a meet and greet once that BOD's are meant to be filled and turned in, not hoarded. I see his point. With the new points system you don't need specific BOD's to get specific rewards. Get a BOD, bribe it to max, fill it, turn it in..rinse and repeat. What I have been doing for the festival. I had a large 20 normal golden platemail bod, all my smalls were of varying metals and sizes. I bribed every single one to 20 exp Valorite, cost roughly 700k and nets me 240 banked points.

Some of you might not LIKE it...but that's how it's supposed to work. Fill smalls that can't be used in larges to get more, just work the system, don't let the system work you.
    I understand that and see what you are saying to a point, but what you aren't taking into account is the amount (really the lack thereof) of LBODs that someone will get. There will be 5x the amount of small BODs so what am I supposed to do with all those small BODs I don't have LBODs for? 

I just recently (8months ago) started doing cooking/inscribe BODs and I get them probably 5x a week. I've only been able to fill maybe 6 LBODs in that time because I'm getting a lot of small BODs and not very many LBODs. On top of that it seems like of the LBOD I do have (mainly for scribe) I'm always missing 1 small BOD to complete it. The truth of the matter is people simply do not sell BODs. I even tried to buy one in gen chat and nobody said anything. I won't go down the rabbit hole about how most of the BOD rewards aren't really what they once were (I personally feel that all the high end runics aren't worth the effort) but this doesn't really make it possible to do what you are saying. 

Again I could take that same logic and apply it to anything else; are people supposed to be hoarding powerscrolls/trans scrolls (don't we have scroll binders)? What about treasure maps (Davies Locker is 1 item)? This logic might make sense if it wasn't the opposite for literally every other thing in the game.

If the bottom line is "The Devs said they aren't changing it" then it is what it is, but if you are going to try to reason it out then I think there are way more reasons they should do it versus not do it.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    Asked Mesanna this exact question at a meet and greet re setting bod books to 1 item and was told directly it was not EVER gonna happen so I guess you can stop discussing it. No reason given just a flat out NO.  

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    edited December 2020
    MissE said:
    Asked Mesanna this exact question at a meet and greet re setting bod books to 1 item and was told directly it was not EVER gonna happen so I guess you can stop discussing it. No reason given just a flat out NO.  
    What is inexplicable, though, is that I often hear talks about how important it is for Developers to ask from players' feedback and how hard Developers try to listen from players' feedback and then, when it comes to reducing item count from Bulk Order Deeds, we get such a no ?

I just do not understand it.

And even what Larisa said @Kyronix might have mentioned on the topic ( https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/50434/#Comment_50434 ), that Bulk Order Deeds are not supposed to be stocked up but used, which would be a reason for not wanting BOD books to be reduced their item count so as to prompt players to "let go" their BODs, I cannot agree with, given how Bulk Order Deeds are designed to work.

The issue here, is the banking of points.

There simply is NOT an incentive to use BODs "right away" as I seem to understand Kyronix is saying that players should do since the points awarded to BODs is just too little and not worth it, to my opinion.

It is way more beneficial to just "wait" until the right Large comes and THEN use the small BODs for it and turn in the Large BOD for best results....

This, in order to maximize the return for a BOD, ends up with players having to stock up on their BODs until they finally get those Large ones to fill them.

Of course, over time, BODs keep filling the BOD books and adding up.... and we end up with players having lots of BODs sitting in their Books.....

If Larges were increased their spawn rate, or if the banking of points was significantly increased, probably players would sit less on their BODs and use them more frequently, thus reducing the issue of having to stock them up.

At least, that is how I see it.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 410
    elf should give reward like any other npc so people will give good large bod to them and tree will raise way faster on all shards