DEAR DEVELOPERS..... can we please have next Year's Arc be focused on CRAFTING and Crafters ?

Comments

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    I know several people that only log in to craft.
    They do have other chars that can go out to fight, but they prefer to play their crafter.
    When they need the recipes, they purchase them with the funds they got from items they sell.

I do agree that crafters should be able to craft higher end items. But making them harder to craft, would not be in the best interest of crafters. As others have said, there is imbuing and reforging now. Not everyone knows how to do reforging. People keep telling me to look up how to do it, but when I look at those instructions it just confuses me more. It would be better if there was an in-game tutorial of how to do it. 

Long ago, my very first character was a crafter. I was told to put Arms Lore on her, because it helped boost what you make. But nowadays I hear, that it doesn't matter if you have it at all. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but if its not working as intended, then it needs fixed.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,211
    popps said:

Regress ?

First, back in days, people was "standing at the Firge taking orders" because there was no Global Chat...

Nowadays, thanking to Global Chat, whomever was to need Crafters' Services could simply ask in Chat if there was any Crafter online to provide the needed Services....

Easy, convenient for both parties.

Personally, I would not see it as a "regress".... but a Crafting Revamp to permig to Crafting and Crafters to make a TRUE comeback as the rightfull important Profession as it once was in Ultima Online.

The most important question is why you keep doing this, to every skill, every week?

Perhaps because I am of the naive idea that these Forums are intended to discuss things about Ultima Online, for ideas brainstorming, to provide feedback about Ultima Online and, in general, to discuss ANYTHING related to Ultima Online ?

Discussion is, to my my understanding, bringing up one's own ideas and differying opinions about something, discuss them and then, eventually, those who need to decide upon actually making changes to Ultima Online (the Developers....), would make up their minds hearing all parties involved and think what to do about the game.....

Also to be noted, that I understand that usually those players posting on games' Forums (inluding these Forums for Ultima Online) are a minority of the players' base, and not necessarily a subset that might be representative of the entire players' base preferences....

Therefore, is my opinion, the Developers should listen to the IDEAS presented before them, regardless whether they may be presented by a group of players or a single individual and evaluate the ideas presented, not the numbers of posters on the Forums supporting them....

This, because, as I said, not necessarily those players posting on the Forums could be representative of the entire players' base for that game.

For example, take the recent changes to Treasure Hunting (last Publish).... on these Forums many posters were quite vocal against the changes done and YET, in the game, I have met MANY players approving and enjoying those changes....

So, and I say it again, I think that the Developers should listed to the IDEAS presented to them and evaluate them for the better sake of Ultima Online regardless of how many posters might be for or against those ideas on these Forums....

We're almost all in agreement that crafting needs something.

If crafted armor were on par with high end loot it would make hunting useless. When the hunters stop, crafters will become obsolete because suits will last forever again.

No offense but your posts about whatever skill seem to circle back to wanting every skill on par with plat making high end hunters. It simply cannot be.

• TimTim Posts: 796
    Just a point they are working on crafting or am I the only one who noticed the line in latest newsletter 

"including a brand new interface for mannequins that will help with equipment comparisons"

I don't think it has made it to TC yet but THANK YOU!!!!!! in advance. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    Marge said:
    What she meant was that YOU want to flip the script and have fighters rely on crafters.

Besides, all this is really moot for next year's arc anyway. I'm sure the developers have next year outlined already.
    HOW SO ?????

I must have a problem in making myself be understood in what I mean because people keep misunderstanding my argument.....
    No one is misunderstanding you, most just fundamentally disagree with the “fix” that you proposed.
    AMEN
    Long ago, my very first character was a crafter. I was told to put Arms Lore on her, because it helped boost what you make. But nowadays I hear, that it doesn't matter if you have it at all. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but if its not working as intended, then it needs fixed.
    Armslore
     is needed for armor. Gives a Resist boost. For weapons it raises damage increase which will imbued or removed in most cases to fit your needs.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    Armslore
     is needed for armor. Gives a Resist boost. For weapons it raises damage increase which will imbued or removed in most cases to fit your needs.
    Thank you for that info.
    I know a couple years ago I was crafting stuff with my tailor and none of the resists got over 9%.

Nice info about weapons, I have the skill to make them. I just don't know anything about that.
  • This guy actually has a good point for a change, give him a break.  This thread devolved into a convoluted circle of self importance.

You want crafting easier?  It's pretty basic as it is, craft some pieces, reforge it, if you don't get what you need try again.  If this is too complicated then the issue may not be the skill but may be behind a monitor.  

If simplification is what this game needs then I vote we change all pvm to operate like Blackthorne dungeon.  Collect tokens hand them in for what you want instantly.  No complicated puzzles or dungeons, no complicated peerless keying, or taking the time to travel around for these hunts.

Sound fun to your prefered play style?

I have no idea what the roof is all about and without reading into it, sounds mildly complicated but I'm not campaigning to simplify it, I don't care about it and if I did I'd read into it and test it out.  Like I did with crafting.  I'm sure it's simple when layed out.

Another clueless crafter trying to tell us how easy it is to make anything worth while in crafting.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,954
    edited November 2019
    Bilbo said:
    Another clueless crafter trying to tell us how easy it is to make anything worth while in crafting.
    LOL, I may well be clueless about crafting but definitively, to my understanding, @WornOutYourTool is a VERY experienced Crafter in Ultima Online and well knows what he's talking about when it comes to Crafting....
    The only reason you say that is because he agreed that you had a good idea which proves my point that he is as clueless as you are.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    Popps. Please create a detailed list of crafting changes you feel would be in the best interest of overall state of the game. Please list the current mechanics of the specific crafting process from beginning to end. Explain what changes you would make at every step of any given crafting project. Make a convincing argument that these changes are worth the effort of spending time and resources on and they would affect a significant portion of the UO population in a positive way.   
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Wow
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    AMEN @Rorschach
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    @Rorschach
    .... forgot to add to send that list to mesanna@broadsword.com
    ;)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    A certain poster would not be able to post "change this" posts again if he actually had to understand the game mechanics of the things they want to change.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Rorschach said:
    Popps. Please create a detailed list of crafting changes you feel would be in the best interest of overall state of the game. Please list the current mechanics of the specific crafting process from beginning to end. Explain what changes you would make at every step of any given crafting project. Make a convincing argument that these changes are worth the effort of spending time and resources on and they would affect a significant portion of the UO population in a positive way.   
    I thought that there was a distinct difference in players' role and Developers' role....

Now players should take the Role of a full time Developer and work extensively on detailed and comprehensive Design Projects about the game for which they pay to play ?

I do not quite follow you.... I thought that to each one his or her own.....

Players are players, Developers are Developers or, at least, that is what I thought.....
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Then go play. I was asking for more direction. I wish it was different is not much help.
    edited November 2019
    Rorschach said:
    Then go play. I was asking for more direction. I wish it was different is not much help.
    One thing, as a player, is to give a general idea about wished changes, an entire other is to produce a comprehensive and detailed laid out Design plan.....

As a player, I can notice that Crafting suffers dearly from the much better quality of dropped Loot.

Of course that, if players can get much better quality items as Loot, they won't care bothering with Crafting and crafters for their items' needs....

Ain't that obvious ?

Yet, and that is what I wanted to point out, Crafting has always been a very strong point of Ultima Online since 1997.

Then, slowly, change after change, Crafting went down a slippering slope to where it is today where, saved a few exceptions, Crafting remains pretty much unused.

You ask what changes would I like ?

As I mentioned, I would like changes that enabled Crafters to, at the very least, be able to craft items that were "on par" with looted ones...

Of course, in order to avoid turning upside down the inbalance and make crafting the wanted means for players to get items and disregard looting, I suggested that crafting for High End items was yes permitted, but made a complicated and complex endeavour requiring a steep learning process and a time consuming activity.

This, to avoid having everyone jump the Crafting bandwagon and use crafting to make their items rather then looting.

By making it a difficult process to learn and master, and time consuming to be played, it would be kept "under control", so to speak, and thus only having those players motivated at playing a Crafter as their Leading and Main character, be wanting to do it. And all other players who would not want to bother with the complexities and time investment requirements of Crafting, either keep using Loot as their source at High end items or, now as a new alternative to them, resort to the paid services of Crafters hired in UO to make them the high end items which they would need.

But at least, crafters could then be able to make a living in UO via an occupation that would be rewarding but consuming pretty much all of their in game time in order to be able to make those items which would be highly seeked because competitive with Looted one.

Players want items, and the better the items the more they want them.

To my viewing, there should be 2 ways for players to get to those items, either via Looting them OR via Crafting them.

And these 2 ways should be well balanced out so that neither one should be "dominant" as the players' preferred way to get those high end items.

The ONLY discriminant, to my opinion, to seek either way, should be a player's playing preference.

Those players who enjoy fighting should go fight and get these items as Loot, those other players who, instead, prefer Crafting as their MAIN preferred gameplay style, should be able to get SAME QUALITY high end items through Crafting.

And this, with a Design that would not make either way a more powerfull or "easier" way for players to get to those High End items.

Now, as in regards to "how" to get to this Design balance between these 2 ways to get to high end items, I think it should be left to the "Professionals" to decide and create, that is, the Designers who do this for a living and, therefore, are way more skilled and fit as players to conceive and Design.

At least, that is how I see it. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    edited November 2019
    LOL a multi word dispute from Popps.  Shocker.   Yes, you cant just say DEVS FIX CRAFTING.

Have you not seen that I post examples of weapons I would like to have as drops?  I give the stats but they fall on deaf ears.  I told them specifically what to add to the Mannequin update.

You have to show some effort.  Changing crafting affects everyone.  They want someone that actually knows the game mechanics before they follow their advice.  Just saying make crafting more complex and difficult and make everyone have to have a dedicated crafter or you can not craft is going to fall on deaf ears I hope.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,800
    @popps - Rorschach is not asking you to do the actual dev work design.  He / she / they is asking you, as a customer, what you want changed from a customer perspective.

For example here is something that I would like changed: When you select how many items to make, failed attempts count against that total.  My suggested change would be that failed attempts do not count against the total.  If I want 100 items for something that has a 75% success rate I should get 100 items even thou there were also 25 failed attempts along with the loss of materials for those failed attempts. The benefit to the player base is making a set number of items would be streamlined.  No need for multiple restarts and keeping track of how many items are left to make.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 721
    Ooo - I like that idea Tim. I hate making only so many then having to add and subtract to figure out how many more I need.
    edited November 2019
    LOL  TYVM @Rorschach

@popps is like my wife telling me the car is broke.
    What is wrong with it dear? I don't know it just doesn't work
    What doesn't work? The car.  OK dear.
    Shakes head and goes for test drive, oh wait the car doesn't start, goes to get truck and jumper cables.
    edited November 2019
    TimSt said:
    @ popps - Rorschach is not asking you to do the actual dev work design.  He / she / they is asking you, as a customer, what you want changed from a customer perspective.

For example here is something that I would like changed: When you select how many items to make, failed attempts count against that total.  My suggested change would be that failed attempts do not count against the total.  If I want 100 items for something that has a 75% success rate I should get 100 items even thou there were also 25 failed attempts along with the loss of materials for those failed attempts. The benefit to the player base is making a set number of items would be streamlined.  No need for multiple restarts and keeping track of how many items are left to make.
    Well, as I mentioned, I think that, in order to overcome the current issue with Crafting, that is necessary to permit to Crafters to be able to make items of a quality comparable to that of Looted items.

Otherwise, players would pretty much only care about Looted items (because they are better) and disregard Crafted items.... which is the cause, to my viewing, for Crafters and the Crafting Profession in Ultima Online to languish....

Now, of course, in revamping Crafting there is also the risk of then making Crafted items be preferrable over Looted items, and hence have players all flock into Crafting their high end items rather then Looting them, which would be the opposite to the current imbalance that suffers Crafting.... in that other scenario it would be Looting that would become the underdog....

So, it is necessary to enhance the Crafting powerfullness BUT, introducing an element of hindrance, a deterrant if we will, due to which players would NOT all flock to Crafting as their preferred way to obtain High End items in place of Looting them....

And I thought, that such obstacle, such deterrant, could be realized by making the Crafting of very High End items a particularly complex and difficult process to be learned and Mastered as well as requiring time to make these items (multiple processes needed....).

This way, only the players REALLY motivated in playing a Crafter would do it, with all of the other players not liking this particular gameplay just leaving it alone and use Hunting to Loot for their High End items OR, as a new possible alternative, seek the paid Services of those UO Crafters who, instead, wanted to actually put the study, effort and time investment into learning the new High End Crafting processes...

This way, it would be more balanced out, to my opinion, with BOTH ways to get to High End items being possible and, YET, none of the 2 prevailing on the other as the players' preferred way to get to High End items....

As in regards to "how" and with what particular mechanics to make this Balance possible, I think it as better to be left to the "Professionals", the Developers who do this for a living and are way more skilled at conceiving and Designing such things as compared to players....
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    I agree some looted items are better, but I totally disagree with your presumption that they are easily obtained.

I, and most people I know, craft suits for all my characters, usually imbued because it's more controllable. (I hate randomness) Occasionally I'll try to reforge a piece. But then I will gradually upgrade the suit with looted pieces. A process that takes me months, if not years, to complete. Most of my characters still wear a combination of looted and crafted items and I've been playing continuously for 19 years!

As things stand loot & crafted are pretty much in balance.  Loot is annoyingly random, I occasionally wish reforging was a controllable as imbuing, or that imbuing had a slightly higher cap. Crafting is already so complicated that I don't attempt to make the really good items that I know are possible. I don't want it made so complicated that I can't do it at all! 

As things stand loot & crafted are pretty much in balance.  Loot is annoyingly random, I occasionally wish reforging was a controllable as imbuing, or that imbuing had a slightly higher cap. Crafting is already so complicated that I don't attempt to make the really good items that I know are possible. I don't want it made so complicated that I can't do it at all! 

I disagree on current balance. Maybe if base resists were cap and overcap like the majority of loot.

Imbuing does need a higher cap even if it's just dedicated for resists. Reforging isn't bad if you have all the guides handy. The main thing that has steered me away from crafting is the requirement to have a forged metal tool or face a 99% chance at breaking your armor on enhancing.

Maybe we should make all the skills really uber hard and complicated so only the really motivated person would want to play UO in the first place.

I don't know about the rest of you but for myself I play UO to relax.  I have made some very nice high end luck suits that cost a fortune and some nice getting started suits that all my toons can survive with till each part can be replaced by looted pieces and those were not cheap.  I also have a Tamer that has used the pet training to train pets for my play style, I do not use Power Scrolls so they are not the uber max pets that some have made but that system is somewhat complicated but still workable.

Bottom line is if UO becomes much more complicated it will become to much like work and no I do not want to WORK at playing a game.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID and ENJOYABLE

KISS+E
    I agree some looted items are better, but I totally disagree with your presumption that they are easily obtained.

I, and most people I know, craft suits for all my characters, usually imbued because it's more controllable. (I hate randomness) Occasionally I'll try to reforge a piece. But then I will gradually upgrade the suit with looted pieces. A process that takes me months, if not years, to complete. Most of my characters still wear a combination of looted and crafted items and I've been playing continuously for 19 years!

Well, the speed of that "updating" process much depends, both on the time to play of the player, and on their wealth.....

There is quite a lot of players with multiple Platinums in their UO Bank and they can easily get whatever High End looted item they need or want very fast just by buying it from other who had the drop.... so, for some players that updating process can take very, very little time.....
    Bilbo said:
    Maybe we should make all the skills really uber hard and complicated so only the really motivated person would want to play UO in the first place.

I don't know about the rest of you but for myself I play UO to relax.  I have made some very nice high end luck suits that cost a fortune and some nice getting started suits that all my toons can survive with till each part can be replaced by looted pieces and those were not cheap.  I also have a Tamer that has used the pet training to train pets for my play style, I do not use Power Scrolls so they are not the uber max pets that some have made but that system is somewhat complicated but still workable.

Bottom line is if UO becomes much more complicated it will become to much like work and no I do not want to WORK at playing a game.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID and ENJOYABLE

KISS+E

I also play to relax. But I also play to compete. Not only against others but to challenge myself as well. My biggest challenge/addiction is growing my bank balance. I do love the taming changes.

I fully agree with the work statement. You absolutely have to bookmark these guides or you'd be lost trying to remember everything. ONE somewhat simple imbued piece can take over an hour from idea to paper to reading guides to crafting and enhancing. I spent days trying to reforge a perfect piece and gave up.

Yes Popps, some people have plats. That won't even finish a top tier pvp suit now. I've seen people drop a plat on 1 jewel. Given most run multiple accounts it's almost impossible to suit multiple finished characters now that can compete. I truly feel for players that don't have much time to play and very little gold.

Bottom line. Crafting needs some form of update to compete with loot. Not exactly more complicated either.  

• Bilbo said:

Your struggle with crafting is your problem, it isn't a complicated system unless you think grouped randomization is beyond comprehension.   

It's basic, your perception of me is basic, as is your posting.

Bilbo said:

Your struggle with crafting is your problem, it isn't a complicated system unless you think grouped randomization is beyond comprehension.   

It's basic, your perception of me is basic, as is your posting.

LOL  No my understanding of you just like the OP is spot on as you  try to get people to believe you are both so wise and know what is better for the game despite the fact that nobody but you two think this is a great idea.

If you are as wise as you try to make yourself out to be how about you and popps get together and do what @Rorschach suggested.

You do understand that there is a big difference between not knowing how to do something and knowing how to do something and choosing not to do it because it is not worth the effort, but you think because someone chooses not to do something means they do not know how to do it just proves my point that you are clueless.

Can't wait to see your and popps proposal.

Trying to baffle people with endless drivel and bs does not mean you know squat.
This discussion has been closed.