Bound Pets Gone Wild (bug/story)

I was training my bound Cu at the eternal gazers and it went wild then died; I'm a garg tamer and couldn't retame it, had a GM respond to me before it died telling me to just put it back in the stable lol. 

I haven't played in roughly 18 years but I recently resubbed; bound pets were around last time I was and from what I understand they don't go wild.

I had just spent roughly 100 million gold scrolling the Cu, so essentially every bit of gold I had since I'm a returning player. GM's refused to help recover the Cu or the scrolls lost on him; it was and still is linked to a pet ball and a copy of him was on the TC for figuring out his build.

Just be careful out there everyone, what worries me the most is the lack of support for losing a pet due solely to a bug of what should be a reliable game mechanic; I wasn't even mad just surprised it bugged and unbound from me. What has me in awe though is the complete lack of customer support; I canceled my sub because everything I had was invested in that Cu with the hopes of using him for the long term, if I rebuilt and the bug happened again what then? I'm just extremely surprised at the lack of support, and I heard from guildmates that its happened to others recently and led to them unsubbing also.

I wouldn't post about this, but I honestly just really love this game and hope they fix this or at least change their customer support practices. I started this game when I was around 10-12 years old and finally recovered my account a few months ago to get back into it while recovering from spinal surgery; I've been really enjoying the game, there's nothing like it and I hope it continues to get better well into the future. Things happen, that's life, but why not help the customers when a bug causes a significant loss like that? This is a extremely fun game, help your players out and value their time/effort. Thank you

1. Is it reasonable to help recover significant losses caused by bugs?13 votes
    1. Yes
      84.62%
    2. No
      15.38%
    3. No; but I really hope it doesn't happen to me, cause then, yes. XD
        0.00%

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,101
    Bonded pets should not go wild. @Kyronix ;  Just make them stand still when Rather Unhappy.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • NikardNikard Posts: 164
    There have been several instances in the past where they have recovered items for players. I recall the entire server being rolled back when items were disappearing from luna. I also recall a statement along the lines of "if you lost items, send an email and if it can be verified on a backup, it will be replaced."

But when in game mechanics made my paroxymous vanish THREE times. Nothing. Not an email reply, not a game master reply. Nothing. [I reported before it disappeared from my slots] - They appear to have extreme bias when/if they respond.

I feel your pain my friend.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,949
    edited September 2019
    There is something really inexplicable to me with this particular issue....

To loose a tamed pet on which a player has INVESTED not only considerable time in training it, but also a good amount of gold to purchase the 120 Powerscrolls applied, and might even be, at that point, somewhat "emotionally" attached to that in-game pet, is something, ESPECIALLY when happening due to a bug or a mechanic against which the player has little control or practically no recourse, that CAN WELL CAUSE THE PLAYER TO QUIT PLAYING ULTIMA ONLINE OVER IT......

Now, one would imagine that, it was in the best interest of Ultima Online that its players' base was to be as large as possible and, thus, that issues like this were to be a FIRST PRIORITY to be addressed, in order not to loose, because of it, any players....

YET, only by checking over the Years the amount of Posts and Threads either on these Official Forums or on Stratics or other Forum Boards discussing Ultima Online, it is easy to see how this has been an ongoing issue for Years and Years....

It is absolutely inexplicable to me WHY such an important issue which can cause loss of players to Ultima Online, has not yet been addressed and fixed for good.....

@Bleak , @Kyronix , can you at the very least let us know whether such an issue, VERY important to Tamers' players in Ultima Online, is being looked on and will be addressed ?

Thank you SO much.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Pawain said:
    Bonded pets should not go wild. @ Kyronix   Just make them stand still when Rather Unhappy.
    I have never lost a pet but I can agree with this. I think loyalty should be removed. It would absolutely help in discovering and narrowing down actual bugs making some pets disappear.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    @Kyronix @Bleak

Add me to the long list of players who agree that pets going wild once they have bonded has outlived its usefulness.  In my opinion there have been enough posts on this topic to firmly establish that there is in fact a bug causing pets to go wild even though I have not personally experienced it.  It’s time to eliminate pets going wild all together.  Tamers make up a significant portion of the UO population and this bug represents a significant risk to those players and their accounts.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Urge said:
    Pawain said:
    Bonded pets should not go wild. @ Kyronix   Just make them stand still when Rather Unhappy.
    I have never lost a pet but I can agree with this. I think loyalty should be removed. It would absolutely help in discovering and narrowing down actual bugs making some pets disappear.
    DITTO  @Kyronix
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    I have lost 1 pet and had a couple of near misses that really impedes me playing some of the more precious pets. 
    I add my voice to remove going wild from bonded pets. A regular pet can easily cost 100M+in scrolls. And then we have all the pets that don't spawn anymore whose loss is even more devastating for a tamer.
    Players have been complaining about this for a few years with barely a response from the devs. Ignoring a serious issue is not helping anyone.
  • Thank you guys for the support; the community is great here, even recovering an old account the support was amazing and helpful, they just dropped the ball on in-game support for bugs.

To help single out the issue and be helpful; my garg tamer is 120 in all bard skills, 90 taming and lore with jewelry bumping them up to 120. I was standing against the door but the door was closed and had both peacemaking mastery songs active. The pet was without a doubt bonded though and had been bonded for a few days; I never take my taming/lore jewelry off with a pet out just in case. 

I only canceled my account because I don't know how else to send a clear message to the devs that it's unreasonable and unacceptable to lose so much to a bug and have no support recovering from it. If this was a FTP game I might understand, but I would say most of us sub cause we love the game; so what are we paying for if GM's can't effectively respond to issues like this? 

I will hopefully be back, and I am glad I posted here because I heard from two separate guilds that members had this same issue; hearing some of you guys know about this issue too, maybe it'll be addressed. It wouldn't be so bad if support would help with the damages, like I said things happen, it's how we handle them together that matters. 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Just to add an additional bit of information that could be relevant or not, but since the OP mentions the bard songs...

I experienced a bug twice over the weekend with my pets I have not seen before... I had a pet die and get bugged where the ghost could not be resurrected.  I tried some of the usual things... tried a different vet player character, tried an npc vet, tried buying new bandages, tried enhanced bandages, tried killing my character, tried honoring something and killing it... nothing worked.  My gameplay each time was drastically different, the first time I was training a pet on the crazed mage, the second was a normal mount that got killed at a spawn.  Different tamer templates on different accounts.  The only similarity I could come up with was that both pets died while under the effect of the peacemaking bard songs from a character that did not own the pets. Ultimately both pets required GM intervention to resolve the issue. (Thanks to GM River who responded both times and could confirm the above).

Not sure if this is a new bug, but it was new to me.  No idea if the bard song could be relevant to pets going wild...

It would be nice to hear something from our team on this issue.

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    This is a bug thay happens from time to time. Take it to a fel guard zone, and you shoukd be able to rez it.
    Norry said:
    This is a bug thay happens from time to time. Take it to a fel guard zone, and you shoukd be able to rez it.
    Why would a Felucca Guard zone make it possible to seccurrect the pet ?

What would be different about a Felucca Guard zone ?
  • 2 Paroxy Swamp Dragons    1 vollem   1 albino squirrel from my old chicken fight club days           1 greater dragon (within the first week of a resub after buying bonding potion) Either do away with loyalty or allow the pet ball to store a backup copy of the pet and it's current stats make it character bound and build in restrictions to prevent pet duping but my 6 mo time is up in 2 days and my house is packed up and empty . Unless something is done im really having a hard time wasting my time if i dont at least get to keep what i spent my time aquiring. Guess unless i see something in a news letter about this issue being fixed im gonna go play wow classic eat some soup and get fat and sassy.  Why not host a tamers day on TC1 have everybody bring a pet and throw everything you have in your dev toolkit at them till the bug inevitably happens.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    @popps don't know why, but when you try to rez your pet and get the "lacks cohesion" message, taking it to a fel guardzone works.

I know there was a delay built in for npc rez, i just assume its tied to that.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 230
    To help single out the issue and be helpful; my garg tamer is 120 in all bard skills, 90 taming and lore with jewelry bumping them up to 120. I was standing against the door but the door was closed and had both peacemaking mastery songs active. The pet was without a doubt bonded though and had been bonded for a few days; I never take my taming/lore jewelry off with a pet out just in case. 
    This is why your pet went wild. You were standing in a spot without line-of-sight to the pet (behind a closed door), in a non-safe logout area (a dungeon). Everytime the pet did a loyalty check, it did not have line-of-sight to you and lost loyalty.

It is unfortunate and I know you are a returning player, but this is working as intended, and not the cause of a bug.

You could look at a pet as your character's weapon. Archery/Throwing or even Melee weapons all need line of sight to hit targets, same with casting spells (e.g. You would not be able to hit things behind closed doors). Your pet, while still capable of fighting when it does not have light-of-sight to you, still needs to pass line-of-sight checks in order to stay happy. This system was most likely designed this way to prevent botting/afking while the pet kills things.

Those above that are saying bonded pets should never go wild, are asking for this change to be implemented, not that this is how it currently works.

Whether you are for or against pet loyalty and pets going wild, based on your description of the situation that happened to you, it was unfortunately not caused by a bug.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Norry said:
    @ popps don't know why, but when you try to rez your pet and get the "lacks cohesion" message, taking it to a fel guardzone works.

I know there was a delay built in for npc rez, i just assume its tied to that.
    This is not about Rezzing but about pets for some odd reason going wild.
  • I would vote for deactivate loyalty for bonded pets.
    edited September 2019
    Khyro said:
    This is why your pet went wild. You were standing in a spot without line-of-sight to the pet (behind a closed door), in a non-safe logout area (a dungeon). Everytime the pet did a loyalty check, it did not have line-of-sight to you and lost loyalty.

It is unfortunate and I know you are a returning player, but this is working as intended, and not the cause of a bug.

You could look at a pet as your character's weapon. Archery/Throwing or even Melee weapons all need line of sight to hit targets, same with casting spells (e.g. You would not be able to hit things behind closed doors). Your pet, while still capable of fighting when it does not have light-of-sight to you, still needs to pass line-of-sight checks in order to stay happy. This system was most likely designed this way to prevent botting/afking while the pet kills things.

Those above that are saying bonded pets should never go wild, are asking for this change to be implemented, not that this is how it currently works.

Whether you are for or against pet loyalty and pets going wild, based on your description of the situation that happened to you, it was unfortunately not caused by a bug.
    What the Tamer was to be hidden but on a direct line-of-sight with the pet ?

Would theloyalty check work with a Tamer that was well in-the-line-of-sight but was hidden ?

This system was most likely designed this way to prevent botting/afking while the pet kills things.

I am totally in favour of mechanics which prevented AFK Scripting and Farming of Spawns from Tamer....

So, whatever ensures to prevent players to farm spawns AFK with scripts with Tamers, I am all for it.

That said, though, there do are many reports from Tamers where line of sight is not involved and where they still lost their pet because going wild.....

At the very least, WITHOUT making it possible for scripters to farm Spawns AFK, there should be a "safety" net where, for X minutes, a Tamer could have the ability to retrieve a pet gone wild before it dies and goes "poof".....

• @Khyro thank you, so bonded pets never go wild, UNLESS they don't have line of sight with you? I was behind the door but I was in a spot where I could still give it commands; I was telling it to move close to me and then fight to make sure my bard songs were on him. 

I'm confused by what bonding does now lol; I thought it simply meant the pet never goes wild under any circumstance. Is that a recent change? 

The worst part though was trying to save him for the 15 minutes he survived after going wild lol (garg problems). I wish the mechanic was explained better, it easily leads you to believe bonded pets are permanent unless you release them; especially given there's pet balls to recall them and you can scroll them now, they seem like a permanent investment. 

@Kalaniim_Viaxus, I'm sorry you lost that many bonded pets, I'm already sick over just one I can't imagine that many lost; maybe what Khyro mentioned will help. I'm still gonna take a break though, lost more than I can recover from.

• Maybe they could make bonded pets die rather than go wild if they become too unhappy; you'd still lose the skills from rezzing them and if it's to stop bots then it'd essentially do the same function of taking the pet out of the fight. Lore wise we could say they are similar to Drizzt's panther (I feel like everyone will get that reference). Their strength could fade and then die, but remain bonded rather than going wild and defeating the purpose of bonding altogether. 
    @ Khyro thank you, so bonded pets never go wild, UNLESS they don't have line of sight with you? I was behind the door but I was in a spot where I could still give it commands; I was telling it to move close to me and then fight to make sure my bard songs were on him. 

I'm confused by what bonding does now lol; I thought it simply meant the pet never goes wild under any circumstance. Is that a recent change? 

The worst part though was trying to save him for the 15 minutes he survived after going wild lol (garg problems). I wish the mechanic was explained better, it easily leads you to believe bonded pets are permanent unless you release them; especially given there's pet balls to recall them and you can scroll them now, they seem like a permanent investment. 

I'm still gonna take a break though, lost more than I can recover from.

I thought bard masteries needed a line of sight?

Pre pet bonding if a pet died it poofed forever. Bonding means it simply sticks around so you can rez it after it dies.

Pets have always had loyalty which can lead to going wild if left in the negative. This has nothing to do with bonding.

That last part is nonsense. This isn't a race. You have all the time in the world to recover and develop even more. Take a deep breath, draw a new gameplan and hit it again.

Just like life, shh it happens.

@ Khyro thank you, so bonded pets never go wild, UNLESS they don't have line of sight with you? I was behind the door but I was in a spot where I could still give it commands; I was telling it to move close to me and then fight to make sure my bard songs were on him. 

Bonded pets go wild just as easily as unbonded ones. The only thing bonding does is to allow you to rez your pet if it is killed... unless it went wild first.
  • Pets going wild from killing monsters if they can’t see their master sounds like anti-AFK coding. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    If this was a line of sight issue would we not see more pets unbonding at belfry we spam all follow out of sight until they jump up.....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • @Sliss thank you; so you need to feed them and everything just like before they bonded? I just thought it worked differently BUT, the  last I played I was 12 so I had no idea what was going on lol. I was mostly worried about building back up because I thought it was a random bug; it sounds like it was because I was behind a door controlling him and not in the room with him. It's one thing when it's your fault compared to a bugs fault; it's looking like it was preventable cause I just didn't understand the bonding system. 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    McDougle said:
    If this was a line of sight issue would we not see more pets unbonding at belfry we spam all follow out of sight until they jump up.....
    No need to spam all follow. Just say it once and run side to side til it jumps up.
    @ Sliss thank you; so you need to feed them and everything just like before they bonded? I just thought it worked differently BUT, the  last I played I was 12 so I had no idea what was going on lol. I was mostly worried about building back up because I thought it was a random bug; it sounds like it was because I was behind a door controlling him and not in the room with him. It's one thing when it's your fault compared to a bugs fault; it's looking like it was preventable cause I just didn't understand the bonding system. 
    You need to keep feeding a bonded pet to keep the happiness level up. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,101
    edited September 2019
    My Giant Beetle just went wild whole doing a Beacon. Little meany killed me and my other toons magery (not Magery Mastery) horse Then he res killed me twice.  I was doing nothing weird he a had just killed a water ele and I was shooting the last Orc.  He has all 120 scrolls would have been expensive to lose him.  Now have to re bond.

I had been using another pet.  I took the beetle out of stable about 30 min ago.  I fed him a stack of Sea serpent steaks sometime in between because there are so many in the stacks.

@Kyronix ; Can we stop Bonded pets going wild? PLEASE
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Are all of you using bonding potions? How many lost a pet that was naturally bonded?
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    All of mine are naturally bonded, never used a bonding potion that I had to pay for. 

@Pawain now lets wait for all the people gonna tell you it was obviously your fault because if you were playing properly it wouldn't of happened. 

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    My old beetle was naturally bonded way-back-when beetles first came out (no pet bonding potion then). I've had it ever since... and it went wild and such in my castle just as I was dragging meat to feed it. Got it back, but omg the sense of bewilderment and panic I felt - the beetle is bonded to my crafter who has no taming.

Thankfully, owners can retame pets gone wild - is just so unnerving! Then have to rebond again (I don't use the potion). I feed that bug so much now is scary.

I'm scared to death to take my pre-patch WW out with my tamer.... even just to feed!