Attempt number 2 at describing some problems with animal training

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    edited April 2021
    To further escalate the problem, When you put the values into the planner, they do not transfer to the pet.

You have to exit the planner and then put the values in one at a time.  The planner should have the option to transfer all to a pet.  The planner is useless.

Now for the Question above, you do get a message about changing magic:

That tells you that all magics the pet has will be removed!
    You can not put 2 active magics on a pet.  A skree has active Magery and Mystic.
    But those take up so much intensity that they can not get good HP and regens.

Meryn/Yoshi you were so close to coming up with your best idea ever!

Mervyn said:
    It's all a moot point, because what I actually suggested was not that you get the points refunded, but that you don't get given the option to put on a second magical ability in the first place - because you don't get the points refunded. 

Lets say we have a Unicorn that has innate magery. That magery puts the pets total intensity 1500 higher than it would be without it.  It would be awesome if we were able to change that magery to Chivalry or another 501 point magic and get those 1500 points from Magery and Eval REFUNDED!

Why? The magery still is worth 1500 intensity points when it is disabled. So, a pet with innate magery can never be built as well as one without.  But a refund of 1500 points would allow them to be built better.

That would allow use to build a lot more pets the way we want them!  We would see MANY more pet types being used. 

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2021
    But remember, Pets are not weapons!  

:D 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited April 2021
    “In the same meet and greet, someone asked about being able to swap pets in the field, if you can summon a pet from the stables I see no reason to prevent you from returning a pet to the stables using the same summoning ball so long as the pet is not damaged, using an additional charge (or not even), then you could summon a different pet using a different ball. Very Pokemon like
    @Kyronix

i see no problem with this. 

a lot of real quality work went into pet summoning balls to prevent them being abused during combat, they reveal the user and behave like mounting an ethy.

this would perhaps encourage the players to use intended game mechanics to summon/stable their pets over logging out, (and then perhaps the latter could potentially be phased out)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited April 2021
    Pawain said:
    To further escalate the problem, When you put the values into the planner, they do not transfer to the pet.

You have to exit the planner and then put the values in one at a time.  The planner should have the option to transfer all to a pet.  The planner is useless.

You can not put 2 active magics on a pet.  A skree has active Magery and Mystic.

Mervyn said:
    It's all a moot point, because what I actually suggested was not that you get the points refunded, but that you don't get given the option to put on a second magical ability in the first place - because you don't get the points refunded. 

Lets say we have a Unicorn that has innate magery. That magery puts the pets total intensity 1500 higher than it would be without it.  It would be awesome if we were able to change that magery to Chivalry or another 501 point magic and get those 1500 points from Magery and Eval REFUNDED!

Why? The magery still is worth 1500 intensity points when it is disabled. So, a pet with innate magery can never be built as well as one without.  But a refund of 1500 points would allow them to be built better.

That would allow use to build a lot more pets the way we want them!  We would see MANY more pet types being used. 

“Perhaps this would be okay, because I’m pretty sure when I trained my Ossein Ram in necromancy and my Lion in poisoning I’ll have to check but I thought I DID get refunded points when they lost their inherent battle defence and piercing magical abilities…”

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    Pawain said:

Mervyn said:

“Perhaps this would be okay, because I’m pretty sure when I trained my Ossein Ram in necromancy and my Lion in poisoning I’ll have to check but I thought I DID get refunded points when they lost their inherent battle defence and piercing magical abilities…”

No, you do not get points back.  Those points also still count towards the total Intensity.

You can Use the Cah Planner to verify that. Put in a Ram If you put AI on a pet you have 1401 points left. if you then put on Chiv you have 900 points left.  Necro and SS would have returned 1500 points.  Rams do not have Necro natuarlly but the place holders for Necro and SS have a value of 1500 points towards the total intensity.  That's why Rams have such a small amount of HP/Str when they begin.
    edited April 2021
    Yoshi said:
    “In the same meet and greet, someone asked about being able to swap pets in the field, if you can summon a pet from the stables I see no reason to prevent you from returning a pet to the stables using the same summoning ball so long as the pet is not damaged, using an additional charge (or not even), then you could summon a different pet using a different ball. Very Pokemon like
    @ Kyronix

a lot of real quality work went into pet summoning balls to prevent them being abused during combat, they reveal the user and behave like mounting an ethy.

this would perhaps encourage the players to use intended game mechanics to summon/stable their pets over logging out, (and then perhaps the latter could potentially be phased out)”

Yes that would be great if a Pet ball put a pet in the stable.  But, there are too many places where you can not use a pet ball.  

And then instead of logging off, players would send a near dead pet to the stable and you would be mad about that.

Also you horse killers would be mad when you kill a horse and someone brought in another fresh horse.
    That's prob why we can use them in dungeons.  Make the pet balls work both ways anywhere in Tram.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Sell us a Pet Stable Ball in the UOStore with say 50 charges for 2000 Sov and when it runs out you have to buy another one. @Kyronix
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Bilbo said:
    Sell us a Pet Stable Ball in the UOStore with say 50 charges for 2000 Sov and when it runs out you have to buy another one. @ Kyronix

Yes @Kyronix , this would allow easy change of pets in the field.

The way it works for Tamers would not be the same as Warrior, but this is a simple and effective solution to allow tamers to swap in the field.

The only issue is perhaps not every place allow pets to be summoned.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited April 2021
    Pawain said:
    Yoshi said:
    @ Kyronix

Yes that would be great if a Pet ball put a pet in the stable.  But, there are too many places where you can not use a pet ball.  

And then instead of logging off, players would send a near dead pet to the stable and you would be mad about that.

Also you horse killers would be mad when you kill a horse and someone brought in another fresh horse.
    That's prob why we can use them in dungeons.  Make the pet balls work both ways anywhere in Tram.
    “You did not fully read, I specifically stated as long as the pet was not damaged.

As for people summoning new horses with pet balls, that is not an issue, you can already do that

as for pet balls not working in some areas, this is working as intended, there are supposed to be pet summoning restrictions in those areas”
    Yoshi said:
    “You did not fully read, I specifically stated as long as the pet was not damaged.

As for people summoning new horses with pet balls, that is not an issue, you can already do that”
    We can stable a damaged pet now. I think returning and retrieving pets via a pet ball would be a great idea.

But in this M&G Kyronix said pets are not weapons. so we should not be able to change them mid battle.

Thinking this idea will become reality is just a dream.  IMO
    edited April 2021
    Yup, he said that pets are not weapons, but i don't quite agree to that.

They are not the same as the warrior's handheld "weapon". But they are still instruments of combat, because pets follow commands to kill powerful monsters.

This makes them a live weapon that comes with its own set of skills.

If full health is a criteria for summoning or stabling pet via the ball in the field, it is fine for me.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I love how even though it was clearly stated this would not happen we dig up a years old thread to debate about it anyway and will now get angry that we don't get what we want 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited April 2021
    Ok I was not the one who started or dig this up again, and I have tamers but seldom used them.

But when I see a useful suggestion I would give my 2 cents for consideration to improve the game IMHO.

Shard bound event wearable artifact reward was said by Dev to stay but we get a non shard bound for this event. We are not sure if this will continue for next event wearable items but there was a change at least for this one event item. Nothing is cast in stone.

For any suggestions, the first thought may not always be possible. We just have to discuss further, provide solutions and alternatives. Anyone can change their mind later and that is normal.

I believe soulstones, chracter transfer, vendor search etc were not a straight "yes" when someone first brought up long ago.