Having just completed a second crafting skill, I feel no accomplishment, only relief...

MoresleyMoresley Posts: 31
edited August 24 in New Legacy
Having just completed a second crafting skill, I feel no accomplishment, only relief with being done, anyone else having similar feelings?

Also, you need to remove the requirement to complete one crafting skill before taking up another.  I did not want Grandmaster Tailoring, I wanted to be able to make clothing for my characters.  I wanted to Grandmaster Smithing so I could repair my stuff and add durability.  Instead of doing what I wanted, towards a goal I desired, I spent hours and hours doing what I did not want to do, gaining an ability I wasn't seeking to learn.  I do not think this is a scheme with positive player retention.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,894
    Moresley said:
    Having just completed a second crafting skill, I feel no accomplishment, only relief with being done, anyone else having similar feelings?

Also, you need to remove the requirement to complete one crafting skill before taking up another.  I did not want Grandmaster Tailoring, I wanted to be able to make clothing for my characters.  I wanted to Grandmaster Smithing so I could repair my stuff and add durability.  Instead of doing what I wanted, towards a goal I desired, I spent hours and hours doing what I did not want to do, gaining an ability I wasn't seeking to learn.  I do not think this is a scheme with positive player retention.
    If only there was a sandbox game that let you do whatever you want...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • MoresleyMoresley Posts: 31
    Agreed McDougle.  Super Agree.
    Ya have to understand how this feels devs... I am interesting in blacksmithing, instead of mining and blacksmithing, I am running around Trinsic trying to find a supply depot.. even if the little waypointer system text worked its still running around for no reason.  I also can't be the only one who is getting nothing from the dialogues.  So none of this is rewarding, we're not doing anything by going from here to here to here to here to here again... its super unsatisfying, and just a task to accomplish that is tedious. 

Before someone chimes in about the length of time, its not about the time, its about the process, if you're so concerned about having a shorter time to skill up, we can have that, we don't need the extraneous stuff that isn't enjoyable to plod through.  If we are to go mine and blacksmith a bunch at it is, why add in all the extra stuff?  Feels like a detriment to the experience to have to do BoDs and go here and here and there and here and there... that's how it feels by the way.. oh another here and there and there and here and here and there.

This sure is a heck of a lot of focus directly on skills/skilling right at the start of the game.. it feels very gamey, not very RPG-y.
    The selling point was seasonal retro type shard I've played very little but this nothing like that
     seasonal retro type 

yeah, I was super hyped for that... 
  • So to be clear: you wanted to be a blacksmith, but mistakenly chose to be a tailor first and are mad that you couldn’t be a blacksmith until you finished tailoring?

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,633
    So to be clear: you wanted to be a blacksmith, but mistakenly chose to be a tailor first and are mad that you couldn’t be a blacksmith until you finished tailoring?

Pre planning would help avoid this. 

I am getting my second crafting skill.

Ya my crafter gets resources and fill BODs,  repairs stuff, can sell the new dye tubs, can even imbue weapons.

Sounds like a UO crafter to me, except it only took a weekend per skill.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited August 24
    So to be clear: you wanted to be a blacksmith, but mistakenly chose to be a tailor first and are mad that you couldn’t be a blacksmith until you finished tailoring?

No mistaking, I took tailoring, never did I imagine in Ultima Online that it would lock me out from getting blacksmithing.

Its not about pre planning Pawain its about design choices that drive players away.

You can endless support every decision the devs make then criticize anyone being critical, just ask yourself if that's going to end up with a sever full of people, or just another dead production shard.

Again Pawain.. its not about the time it takes, again pawain.
    edited August 24
    Moresley said:

No mistaking, I took tailoring, never did I imagine in Ultima Online that it would lock me out from getting blacksmithing.

Its not about pre planning Pawain its about design choices that drive players away.

You can endless support every decision the devs make then criticize anyone being critical, just ask yourself if that's going to end up with a sever full of people, or just another dead production shard.

Again Pawain.. its not about the time it takes, again pawain.
    Sorry I like the decisions they made. Should I come here and lie?

I don't like your alternative methods.  
    You don't have to be a jack about it Pawain.
    edited August 24
    These design choices are made to help new players.

I played only 1 toon until Samurai Empire came out.

He had a bunch of skills that made a very poor template.  A mage swords tinker camper among other things.

NL makes you start with a decent set of base skills, then you can ruin your template later.  But in regards to crafting.  You can't mess up, you can only add crafting skills.
    edited August 24
    I feel like if you experienced the magic of early UO you would be singing a different tune.  Edit don't want to sound like an ass here myself.. Ive just heard you speak of the struggles, and yeah there were but also the other side of that was amazing.

I do not think these design decision help new players.  New or not the experience is.. not enjoyable, especially if we are going to lock people into decisions, especially players that might not know what they're getting into..  I think we are losing huge numbers every day/weekend this server stays up in this configuration, players that may not circle back around to try again.

We can start with a better than crap character, we can have fast skill progression, we can have a guide about templates, even completely optional quests if people really need it, we don't need to lock people into classes... or lock people out of skills... 

We can have a better pure newbie experience without fundamentally changing the game.
    I would not wish a hodge podge skill set on any new player.  I tried in in October 97 though the 2000s.  It was not a good system.

After you have learned the mechanics you can tell others about it or complain.  Your choice.
  • TheSpellcasterTheSpellcaster Posts: 3
    edited August 24
    Moresley said:

Sounds like at best your conceptualization of what Ultima Online is is small and at worst it's stuck in some preconceived notion of what it was in the past.
    It says Ultima Online on the game, f me for thinking it would be Ultima Online, never have they ever locked you out of stuff like this...  For some reason, not sure why, I thought it would be a past version of it, or there abouts.. for some reason.

Needle me all you want partner, but c'mon.

"I would not wish a hodge podge skill set on any new player. "

Sometimes that hodge podge made for great gameplay.  Point being, you are complaining about a thing that didn't need to be so, we can have a better guide, we don't need to *lock* people out of skills.  

I am being vocal here, complaining if you will, so we get a better game experience, it has already worked, we already have the alternate path, I firmly believe it will work more.

Flagging sugar trolling koolaid drinkers seems to do no good anyone who express even a slightly critical opinion is ridiculed and attacked with thread after thread being shut down step up mods @Rorschach
    McDougle said:
    Flagging sugar trolling koolaid drinkers seems to do no good anyone who express even a slightly critical opinion is ridiculed and attacked with thread after thread being shut down step up mods @ Rorschach
    So I must agree with posters that have very bad ideas that I would not want in the game or I am trolling?  What have you added here.  Go away troll.

I told the guy twice why we should have a skill path for NOOBs. Gave a personal example.

Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Flagging sugar trolling koolaid drinkers seems to do no good anyone who express even a slightly critical opinion is ridiculed and attacked with thread after thread being shut down step up mods @ Rorschach
    So I must agree with posters that have very bad ideas that I would not want in the game or I am trolling?  What have you added here.  Go away troll.

I told the guy twice why we should have a skill path for NOOBs. Gave a personal example.

He didn't ask for advice he stated an opinion which you promptly attacked him for 
    edited August 24
    He said anyone have similar feelings?

I did not and gave him examples of what he can do and make now. Sorry for enjoying NL it must make you feel terrible that so many of are in NL having fun and begging for it to run all week.  That does not fit your predictions of NL.  Must be terrible for you.
    Pawain said:
    He said anyone have similar feelings?

I did not and gave him examples of what he can do and make now. Sorry for enjoying NL it must make you feel terrible that so many of are in NL having fun and begging for it to run all week.  That does not fit your predictions of NL.  Must be terrible for you.
    Standard Allen operating procedure 
    edited August 24
    Yup helping the players that are confused about what they can do with Smith and Tailoring.

Standard Allen.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 242
    Pawain said:
    Yup helping the players that are confused about what they can do with Smith and Tailoring.
    Locking someone out of gaining one skill until they GM another is astonishingly poor design. If they're genuinely concerned about newbies mucking up their template with like 14 different skills, if that's the real reason for this and not just an excuse that fell out of your ass, then there are much better remedies that come to mind.

Like maybe add some useful information to the interface. Have a window that pops up and explains things if they try to begin gaining an eighth skill, and another when they hit their 700 point cap. Or maybe just don't let them train more than seven at all, if we're really worried. Or whatever, there are a lot of potential solutions.

But don't get up in their face and mandate what order they train their skills in. Don't just say "Hur dur sorry your character now has brain damage and can never learn how to mend their socks until they finish learning how to forge hanzo steel!" That's a sloppy and obnoxious solution to the issue.

Who do you think you're helping with this mindless cheerleading? And for god's sake stop trying to act like you're helping anyone. You explained absolutely nothing to anyone here, you just blindly stuck up for the issue the way you do literally everything. According to you they didn't even need a beta, because apparently everything was perfect on day one.
    I am working on my second skill.  I just used my 100 Smith to repair a bunch of players items. I have imbued my weapons.

Sorry, but I like the system.  If yall think getting 50 in each skill and going from there is better then come up with an explanation why without disparaging the Devs.

Am I supposed to pretend I dont like stuff when I do?

Only 25 more Tailor BODs till im 100 in that one.  I can repair all armor types and imbue whips.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 372
    Pawain said:
    I am working on my second skill.  I just used my 100 Smith to repair a bunch of players items. I have imbued my weapons.

Sorry, but I like the system.  If yall think getting 50 in each skill and going from there is better then come up with an explanation why without disparaging the Devs.

Am I supposed to pretend I dont like stuff when I do?

Only 25 more Tailor BODs till im 100 in that one.  I can repair all armor types and imbue whips.
    We have to keep in mind, it’s okay for them to not like a system.

however, does the divergent path let them do
    as they’re asking?  I haven’t done anything with it yet.
    Right.  You do not have to like doing your base skills first before you add more.

I'm ok with players mixing and matching, since eventually I'll be competing with them for drops. 

So, they are going to change the skill method yet again?
    I’m not entirely sure they’ve completed the divergent skill method that I think would cover this concern.  

Maybe not though.
    The divergent path wasn't working with combat skills or focus anyway last time I tried it  still shoehorns you into the skill set it thinks you want 
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 163
    Some prefer television over streaming/netflix.. someone here really enjoy his scheduled TV show..

It just seems out of place on Ultima Online.. the noobs can't get lost in the woods picking up flowers off the ground (regs) wich is sad.

In my opinion BS have no passion for what they doing, a SUS vision and are out of touch.
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
    McDougle said:
    The divergent path wasn't working with combat skills or focus anyway last time I tried it  still shoehorns you into the skill set it thinks you want 
    This is good to know, and should be fixed.
    Still not gaining in focus this morning