Vendors not selling items because they cannot hold more gold... can something be done, please ?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,233
    If you recall to a vendor and you can't buy an item. Then that vendor should automatically be opted out of vendor search.
    This is a simple reasonable change that should be easy to implement. Couple lines of code.
    Ya where are examples of your coding?  Which game or program has your name in the credits.

Arroth_Thaiel and ForeverFun have shown they can do simple coding for clients. Did I miss your coding posts?

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • usernameusername Posts: 736
    edited May 27
    If you recall to a vendor and you can't buy an item. Then that vendor should automatically be opted out of vendor search.
    This is a simple reasonable change that should be easy to implement. Couple lines of code.

The fix is not a couple lines of code; it's a change in variable types. Whatever variable they chose for gold storage on vendors is 2^31=2147483648, like mob health is 2^16=65536 capped. I really don't like defending our devs but the language the client/server are written in would determine if this is an 'easy' fix or not.. some would be game-breaking others would be easier, depending on however they decided to 'fix' it. I really wish people would stop posting when they have no idea what they're talking about.

The ironic part is that people expect this to get fixed when we have a website that is down very often and a forum which the most popular browser on the planet has a very difficult time logging in to. Or when we haven't gotten any new real content in ages, just recycled tot/spawn mechanics.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 144
    edited May 27
    username said:

The fix is not a couple lines of code; it's a change in variable types. Whatever variable they chose for gold storage on vendors is 2^31=2147483648, like mob health is 2^16=65536 capped. I really don't like defending our devs but the language the client/server are written in would determine if this is an 'easy' fix or not.. some would be game-breaking others would be easier, depending on however they decided to 'fix' it. I really wish people would stop posting when they have no idea what they're talking about.

The ironic part is that people expect this to get fixed when we have a website that is down very often and a forum which the most popular browser on the planet has a very difficult time logging in to. Or when we haven't gotten any new real content in ages, just recycled tot/spawn mechanics.

Whenever the vendor menu is closed, check the gold total and toggle "opt out of vendor search" if it's at the cap. Boom, done. Literally a couple of lines. What an embarrassing attempt on your part to be contrary, going on about how many bits they use for variables as if it's relevant. Wow, what a computer genius you are. Maybe you should take your own advice and stop posting.
    edited May 28
    username said:

Whenever the vendor menu is closed, check the gold total and toggle "opt out of vendor search" if it's at the cap. Boom, done. Literally a couple of lines. What an embarrassing attempt on your part to be contrary, going on about how many bits they use for variables as if it's relevant. Wow, what a computer genius you are. Maybe you should take your own advice and stop posting.
    Wow what a solution! And if the vendor menu is never opened or closed?

GOOD FAIL BUD

How awkward it must be making such smart posts! How ever will we match your level of intelligence??
    Yea, you ain't a dev or have any programming knowledge, stop posting. Thanks.

I got one! Wow, it's so easy to keep a website up or allow people to log in to a forum. It's 0 lines of code, it's already done for you, and they still can't get it right. Just fix vendor search, it's a few lines of code! You know, all things a bit more pressing. Devs must have your level of knowledge 

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    edited May 28
    username said:

Wow what a solution! And if the vendor menu is never opened or closed?
    Then it's going to be hard to retrieve anything you're using the vendor to store, isn't it? But if you insist, we can also run our two lines of code whenever a purchase fails because of the cap. That seems like a better choice anyway. Gosh what an unsolvable conundrum you've sprung. I can't believe you thought this was some kind of gotcha.

Seriously, go sit down somewhere, you're making a fool of yourself with your little fonts and your "genchat PVPer salty about getting ganked" attitude. Arguing that any minor change to the game is an insurmountable technical challenge was a pretty stupid hill to die on. Especially that part where you started talking about the number of bits used in different variables for absolutely no reason. Like what even was that? Did you think it sounded really technical because you used numbers?

For the record, the bit length of the variable used to store vendor gold would be relevant if anyone were talking about changing the maximum amount of gold a vendor could store. Which they weren't. It was painfully empty blathering in the context of the actual conversation.

OIP.jpg 13.7K
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,022Moderator
    That's enough!
    @Lord_Nythrax, you are missing the point. The owner of this vendor KNOWS it's at it's limit, therefore he can offer goods at well below the market price, causing inconvenience and annoyance to people trying to shop. IF he won't send gold to his bank, what makes you think he would take his vendor out of search?
    You will now, both Lord_Nythrax and username, stop attacking each other please? 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,106
    How is this really hurting anyone? 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,900
    Grimbeard said:
    It isn't, it is a very minor annoyance, and easily ignored. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• poppspopps Posts: 3,974
    edited May 28
    Grimbeard said:
    Besides the annoyance of having to spend one's own time to go to a Vendor all for nothing, it does hurt players' business, to my opinion, because, when players shop for an item and see some "stuck" on a vendor at a lower price (but not purchaseable because that vendor has reached the limit of gold that it can hold), they might disregard items priced at a higher price but actually purchaseable because their vendors holding them still have room to store the gold from the sale.

This, especially when the "delta" in between the price of the "stuck" item and that of the sellable item is a significant one... thus, the player with the purchaseable item can actually loose buyers and sales and that can hurt their business...

At least, that is how I see it.
    edited May 28
    Lord_Nythrax said:

Then it's going to be hard to retrieve anything you're using the vendor to store, isn't it? But if you insist, we can also run our two lines of code whenever a purchase fails because of the cap. That seems like a better choice anyway.
    And what's stopping them from doing it again? Great solution you've provided there! You've managed to fix nothing with your worthless rambling once again. This is why the Devs don't take feedback from these geriatric people on the forums that don't know better. Go ahead, round #4 for your solution that will fail again, let's see it and maybe provide those two lines of code you're talking about and Mesanna can implement them  :D :D :D :D

And you think everyone's using this exploit to store stuff? LOL:

If the items are a) highly desirable, b) the lowest "advertised" price in vendor search, c) cannot be purchased, ... a possibility is the vendor is trying to drive the prices down.  (since sellers will consult the lowest listed prices).
    Bingo! People are using it to drive down the market which is in my opinion far far worse and harmful to the playerbase. How do you even check this as a seller of the same item? Go buy everything you're trying to sell first?

Lord_Nythrax said:
    Arguing that any minor change to the game is an insurmountable technical challenge was a pretty stupid hill to die on. 
    username said:
    some would be game-breaking others would be easier, depending on however they decided to 'fix' it.
    Good failed strawman. I never made that assertion. Start by reading, I know, it's hard for you.

For the record, the bit length of the variable used to store vendor gold would be relevant if anyone were talking about changing the maximum amount of gold a vendor could store. Which they weren't. It was painfully empty blathering in the context of the actual conversation.
    TimSt said:
    The devs could raise the gold limit to 9 quintillion (9,223,372,036,854,775,807 or 2^63 - 1).  That should make it hard for any player to block the sale of items.

It was mentioned and part of the conversation? PLEASE STOP POSTING AND READ!

Mariah said:
    That's enough!
    @ Lord_Nythrax, you are missing the point. The owner of this vendor KNOWS it's at it's limit, therefore he can offer goods at well below the market price, causing inconvenience and annoyance to people trying to shop. IF he won't send gold to his bank, what makes you think he would take his vendor out of search?
    This is correct. I'm done when he's done making a fool of himself. Anways, he probably won't read what you posted anyways. :D

An ideal solution would be to either raise the cap OR send gold from purchases immediately to account balance, like safes do. A pop-up of what sold off vendors could be added as well. But it wouldn't work for non-commission vendors (as they sit) because they have a daily upkeep and require a balance. Perhaps that balance is ONLY for upkeep and purchases get directly sent to bank? Yep, decent solution, solves all the problems but seems like a lot more than 2 lines of code than suggested.

edited May 28
    Mariah said:
    That's enough!
    @ Lord_Nythrax, you are missing the point. The owner of this vendor KNOWS it's at it's limit, therefore he can offer goods at well below the market price, causing inconvenience and annoyance to people trying to shop. IF he won't send gold to his bank, what makes you think he would take his vendor out of search?
    The owner doesn't get a choice. They're just opted out of search when their vendor is at the limit. You can see that was Cinderella's original suggestion, which I agreed with, and the ensuing discussion of how this should be executed. Can you quote the part that made you think I was suggesting vendor owners should just opt out on their own? What did you think all the talk about code was? Pretty wild to tell me I'm the one missing the point.
    edited May 28
    username said:

And what's stopping them from doing it again?
    The fact that they're also opted out when the vendor menu is closed. Did you seriously just forget the whole part where you typed all that stuff about what if they just never access the vendor menu ever again? Anyway I mostly won't bother with the rest of your post since it only needed the first sentence in order to implode, but...
    username said:

It was mentioned and part of the conversation? PLEASE STOP POSTING AND READ!
    So it had nothing to do with anything I said, or anything in the post I was agreeing with in the first place. You were responding to a completely different suggestion by a totally different poster, but randomly quoted my post in order to do so. Just to be clear, you believe this is a normal thing to do?
    This seems no less inconvenient than say ship tracking not tracking players ships 
    edited May 28

Seriously guys, is it too much to ask that people:
    • Read and comprehend my posts before telling me I'm missing the point.
    • Remember the content of their own posts for at least the duration of a few exchanges.
    • Respond to me with posts that are meant for me, and not a different randomly selected poster.
    Because I have to be honest, it doesn't feel like too much to ask.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 668
    Grimbeard said:

I was wondering the same.
    edited May 28
    username said:

And what's stopping them from doing it again?
    The fact that they're also opted out when the vendor menu is closed. Did you seriously just forget the whole part where you typed all that stuff about what if they just never access the vendor menu ever again? Anyway I mostly won't bother with the rest of your post since it only needed the first sentence in order to implode, but...
    Did you forget where you could just load a vendor up again... you know... the same way they did it initially? Where's the 2 lines of code???? :D Keep grasping and coping. Someone somewhere thinks you're right!! Probably not actually. It's nice outside, perhaps go enjoy outside instead of posting on the forums

• DragoDrago Posts: 296
    This is an annoyance.   If it were easy, I wish they could add script to auto transfer gold to players bank if it reaches the cap.

or

Remove vendors from vendor search that have reached the gold cap.
    username said:

Did you forget where you could just load a vendor up again... you know... the same way they did it initially? Where's the 2 lines of code???? :D Keep grasping and coping. Someone somewhere thinks you're right!! Probably not actually.

To be blunt, if someone wants to hover over their vendor so they can reset the entire thing every single time anyone tries to buy anything, they're welcome to do so. If they're doing this in a deliberate attempt to try and manipulate the market by listing expensive items below their actual value, they're going to be pretty busy. This is not a serious concern and you just sound unhinged.

I'm sorry, but "if gold > X then toggle search off" just isn't that complicated and prevents people from being stymied whenever a vendor happens to sell more than 175m worth of crap. I don't mind the idea of just sending gold to the main account directly, but logging transactions for the player is another few lines and also just isn't worth it.

Just to be clear though, your response was actually intended for me this time, right? You didn't just click the quote button on my post and then start randomly replying to someone else again, or anything like that? Not that I don't enjoy meandering childlike explanations of basic computing concepts, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page since the forum interface seems to give you issues.
    Pawain said:
    Plot Twist Movie Theaters Fear Popcorn Shortfall Will Be a Spoiler - WSJ

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,452
    Movie Night Popcorn  Candy Gift Bowl Set - Hampton Popcorn
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,237
    This is one step above the trash talk on GenChat during PvP primetime. I'm just waiting for one of them to say "you lost w/ numbers!" or a fat joke. C'mon boys let's see who can out-nerd who and who is the bigger keyboard warrior! Kick it up a notch!

I heard using bigger fonts makes your words gooder, I should try that.

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,452
    :*

Okay actually this is pretty fun. Is there a rule against posting like this all the time? I bet there is. I should stop until I'm sure.

Okay actually this is pretty fun. Is there a rule against posting like this all the time? I bet there is. I should stop until I'm sure.

You should, and hear me out, but in all caps . . .

edited May 29
    username said:

Did you forget where you could just load a vendor up again... you know... the same way they did it initially? Where's the 2 lines of code???? :D Keep grasping and coping. Someone somewhere thinks you're right!! Probably not actually.

To be blunt, if someone wants to hover over their vendor so they can reset the entire thing every single time anyone tries to buy anything, they're welcome to do so. If they're doing this in a deliberate attempt to try and manipulate the market by listing expensive items below their actual value, they're going to be pretty busy. This is not a serious concern and you just sound unhinged.
    So your fix is a fix unless they want to break it. Good one.

Where's the 2 lines of code?

Stop making a clown of yourself and go back to gen chat where you can talk all the smack and sound like the smartest kid in the classroom.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,306
    Grimbeard said:

Well I guess we can use the same reasoning about anyone abusing an exploit or cheating.  Cheating does not personally hurt me so why not allow it?
    Grimbeard said:

Well I guess we can use the same reasoning about anyone abusing an exploit or cheating.  Cheating does not personally hurt me so why not allow it?
    How are you determining this vendor is cheating?  You have no clue what items are on it.

Stop making up stuff.  I challenge you to find any full of gold vendor holding items that are not just basic items that are normal to sell.
    How much gold does it take to fill them so they won't sell? It must be a huge amount