What happened today? lost all settings/macros

More than one person besides myself reporting that earlier today, last char logged in on lost all settings. That's not the first time. This is fairly new had it happen on another char also a while back. The game starts then kind of flashes and restarts like the first time you start up UO music playing and no account name.
     Tried making copy of EA games folder because as said, had this happen before. Still could not save char from starting as if  first time logged
     Is there anyway to restore lost information?

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I didn't lose any macros but last week I had 2 characters log in with default window locations and speech color went to default. 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2022
    "my client sometimes crashes and i too lose everything,

you need to back up your macros and settings regularly, i thought there was a walkthrough on official wiki on how to do this but couldn't locate it, however i did find this

Your character’s macros will not be copied, you will need to recreate these after the move, or copy the character’s file or folder on your hard drive.

To do this log out of uo and:

• For enhanced client
      • navigate on your hard drive to
      • C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Computer Name)\My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\(Account Name)\(Shard Name)\
      • Right Click on the file named for the character you want to copy the macros and desktop setting from and select copy.
      • Navigate on your hard drive to:
      • C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Computer Name)\My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\(Account Name)\TC1\
      • Paste the file there.
    • For classic client.
      • C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Computer Name)\My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\(Account Name)\(Shard Name)\
      • Right Click on the folder named for the character you want to copy the macros and desktop setting from and select copy.
      • C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Computer Name)\My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\(Account Name)\TC1\
      • Paste the folder there.

For UOAssist settings, the folder is normally found here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\UOAssist\UOA-Settings

you want to regularly copy these folders to a safe location.

If you did not keep a copy of these settings somewhere, i do not know a way to retrieve them"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • I thought to make copy before I logged in, but the damage had already had been done
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    @Kragg

If you're using EC, you can just copy and paste all the info from one of the good characters files into the file of the character that lost everything. Unless the character that lost everything had a bunch of custom stuff your other characters don't have, you should be ok.

To do the above, follow Yoshi's steps and use Notepad to open the character file of one of your characters who did not lose all their settings. Hit crt-a to highlight everything in that file and crt-c to copy it. Make sure to copy, not cut. Exit the file.

Then open the file of the character that lost all the settings, hit crt-a to highlight everything in that file, push delete, and then crt-v to paste in the good settings from the other character. Save the file with the newly copied settings and log in. The character that lost all settings should now have all the settings from the "good" character. 

Good luck!
    -Arroth
  • Not sure that would work with hot bars and macros, would it?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Kragg said:
    Not sure that would work with hot bars and macros, would it?

I make a new folder and rename it Warrior, Mage  Whatever, and put a copy of all the files that work.

Then replace the bad ones when needed.  I just open two file exploders and drag the files from one to the other while the game is not running and replace the non working ones with the working ones.

This glitch where they erase happens once or twice a year for me. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Pawain said:
    Kragg said:

I make a new folder and rename it Warrior, Mage  Whatever, and put a copy of all the files that work.

Then replace the bad ones when needed.  I just open two file exploders and drag the files from one to the other while the game is not running and replace the non working ones with the working ones.

This glitch where they erase happens once or twice a year for me. 
    Bug you mean bug something that the developers should acknowledge and fix
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Ya something that happens once or twice in 500 log ins is game changing and should be addressed NOW!

You have never been a repair technician and tried to replicate intermittent problems.  You would understand how difficult something is to fix if it works every time you use it. but then it returns to the shop 2 days later, and it still does all 500 things its supposed to do for you.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    More info will be needed to be able to fix this - I have never experienced it and play daily, except as a temporary problem through my own error when I logged out under the influence of incognito spell. 
    “it's bascially caused from any system crash,
    but the crash is not normally UO related.
    I often am multitasking with work and media and any program that causes a system crash, if uo is running at the same time, can cause all setting to be completely wiped.

But you can mitigate yourself by backing up settings regularly"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    Kragg said:
    Yes, copying over the character file contents will transfer all the hot bars and macros from one character to the other. This process will also transfer everything unique about the transferred character's UI: custom skill list, widow sizes and positions, organizers, etc.

You can read more about the character file here, including how to just transfer or make backups of individual sections of the character file information.
    -Arroth
    “Windows actually has a built in automatic backup system where you can specify specific folders to backup.

Step 1. Connect an external hard drive to your computer and make sure it can be detected. Then, directly type “file history” in the search box and choose "Backup settings" from the final result list. 

Step 2. In the initial backup window, click "+ Add a drive" button and select the prepared external hard drive. Then, you will see an on/off button under a new link "Automatically back up my files" and turn it on if it shows off.

Step 3. Click More options to set file history backup settings. By default, the backup interval is "Every hour" while backup retention is "Forever". 

Step 4.  Click "Add a folder" under the Back up these folders section and choose specific folders you want to backup in Windows 10. Afterward, click Back up now at the top location and start your first file backup. 

Now, you already have a file history backup, you can restore file when needed. The simplest way is to right-click a file or folder and select "Restore previous versions", then select a backup version and click "Restore" to get your data back.“