Delete the PvM flag logout timer

It no longer serves any good purpose.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Just add is this person in the heat of battle to the code
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    Mongbats have kept me logged in for far too long. LOL
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Yes delete it.  Know it is suppose to keep players from changing avatars in the heat of battle but don’t know that is that important in pvm.  It just delays me from doing vendor search and logging out.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Agreed, +1 vote.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Fully agree. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Agreed
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199

Leave the log out timer as is.

It's not broken and does not require fixing. 

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    It’s not broken, true. It is annoying and pointless I think is the idea here. 
    Merlin said:

For pvp it works perfectly thus the easy fix is a check for heat of battle 
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    At least, once at home the timer should be off
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Archangel said:
    At least, once at home the timer should be off
    Yes this. 
  • Merlin said:

So what is your argument for leaving the PvM logout timer in the game?
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2022
    “why you’re in such a hurry to change char? 
    It’s not even 5 mins, it’s 2 mins.

I think it’s a global timer associated with pet training combat timer and soul stone use too. Which people might exploit. 

So some people might take advantage of this especially in trammel where you can gate from dungeons. You would have people getting certain creatures/ bosses down to 40% health, gate to house, switch to spellweaver insta, jump through same gate again.
    just not within the spirit of the game

Also, many mobs give debuffs and there is actually already an active exploit associated with logging out/in (with a debuff.) 

I can’t report it publicly as Rorschach has closed the relevant bug thread? and also my superiors have not authorised me to report it, but it gives you 735 skill points instead of 720 which is nice for PvP

i am sure removing this safeguard would allow multiple associated exploits, probably the reason it was introduced in the first place
    .” 
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Yoshi said:
    “why you’re in such a hurry to change char? 
    It’s not even 5 mins, it’s 2 mins.

I think it’s a global timer associated with pet training combat timer and soul stone use too. Which people might exploit. 

So some people might take advantage of this especially in trammel where you can gate from dungeons. You would have people getting certain creatures/ bosses down to 40% health, gate to house, switch to spellweaver insta, jump through same gate again.
    just not within the spirit of the game

Also, many mobs give debuffs and there is actually already an active exploit associated with logging out/in (with a debuff.) 

I can’t report it publicly as Rorschach has closed the relevant bug thread? and also my superiors have not authorised me to report it, but it gives you 735 skill points instead of 720 which is nice for PvP

i am sure removing this safeguard would allow multiple associated exploits, probably the reason it was introduced in the first place
    .” 

I wouldn't characterize this as "such a hurry," though. It is not unreasonable to expect to log out, and then back in on a different character, barring a PvP flag.

I want to change characters in a more-reasonable time (a more honest characterization than "such a hurry"), for one thing, I do more than one thing in this game

Also because sometimes I'm doing something simple, like walking from one house to another, with no intent to fight at all, except I get targeted by, say, a mongbat along the way, and this mongbat disrupts my plans whether I engage it or not.

Not sure why you're mentioning Spellweaving and the inability to gate from Fel dungeons as though they had anything to do with this timer. This outdated and unreasonable timer considerably pre-dates both.

Also it's more than 2 minutes. I know this because the the EC counts down 2 minutes for me and yet it's always more than that before I can log back in.

Exploits should be fixed.
    edited May 2022
    "a mongbat etc attacking you will NOT prevent you from logging out, it's only if you hit it back.."
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Also it's more than 2 minutes. I know this because the the EC counts down 2 minutes for me and yet it's always more than that before I can log back in.

"I just timed it, it's 2 minutes.
    if you log back in with the char that was recently in combat, you can log that char out after 2 mins of non combat,"
  • Yoshi said:
    "a mongbat etc attacking you will NOT prevent you from logging out, it's only if you hit it back.."

Not accurate.
    Yoshi said:

"I just timed it, it's 2 minutes.
    if you log back in with the char that was recently in combat, you can log that char out after 2 mins of non combat,"

Given that your previous comment was not accurate I think I will trust my own timing.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Yoshi said:
    I can confirm this is true. I'll be flagged by something like a snake / orc at one of my homes and as long as I do not hit them; I'm always able to log out immediately.

Sometimes they will flag my thrower when his glaive is equipped and I end up killing them and then need to wait so I've got into the habit of recalling without the weapon equipped so that I don't hit them and I never have a problem in those situations. 
    Add is this person in the heat of battle..to the line of code problem solved 
  • keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:
    I can confirm this is true. I'll be flagged by something like a snake / orc at one of my homes and as long as I do not hit them; I'm always able to log out immediately.

Sometimes they will flag my thrower when his glaive is equipped and I end up killing them and then need to wait so I've got into the habit of recalling without the weapon equipped so that I don't hit them and I never have a problem in those situations. 

*sighs*

No, you cannot confirm that, because it is not accurate, though I guess I can't stop you from saying inaccurate things. For years, it's worked as I've described. On rare occasions it will allow one to log out if they log out instantly near a bed in an inn. (I don't even want to imagine the lines of code someone wrote to make the client recognize a bed in an inn, but not any other location.)

How do I know this? Because as it turns out I have a character with no rune to my house, and it kind of amuses me that this character doesn't have such a rune, so I do not fix the issue. There is a spawn point between a nearby town and the house, so I frequently have something flag on me as I run by.

This also by the way is how I know that the timer is longer than 2 minutes. The EC has a feature where it will do the time for you and then log you out once the timer is done. Problem is: It never works. I can never log into the same account on the same shard until more time has passed.

Others have posted for many years asking for the same thing, and the support has been near-universal, with concern only for the possibility of the PvP timer being interfered with. Why it's suddenly controversial now is something I only can speculate about.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    I auto attack a mongbat attacking me. And I'm not turning that off for this.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
     :D this thread turned into entertainment. 

Risking being accused of an inaccurate statement. You have to attack the mob for the timer to kick in. 

My Archer and thrower will every time.

It's forever till death do you part if you copy to TC while under the timer.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:

*sighs*

No, you cannot confirm that, because it is not accurate, though I guess I can't stop you from saying inaccurate things. For years, it's worked as I've described. On rare occasions it will allow one to log out if they log out instantly near a bed in an inn. (I don't even want to imagine the lines of code someone wrote to make the client recognize a bed in an inn, but not any other location.)

How do I know this? Because as it turns out I have a character with no rune to my house, and it kind of amuses me that this character doesn't have such a rune, so I do not fix the issue. There is a spawn point between a nearby town and the house, so I frequently have something flag on me as I run by.

This also by the way is how I know that the timer is longer than 2 minutes. The EC has a feature where it will do the time for you and then log you out once the timer is done. Problem is: It never works. I can never log into the same account on the same shard until more time has passed.

Others have posted for many years asking for the same thing, and the support has been near-universal, with concern only for the possibility of the PvP timer being interfered with. Why it's suddenly controversial now is something I only can speculate about.
    I can confirm because it literally happens every single time I play the game and switch chars.

But feel free to keep thinking that you are the smartest person in the world and if you can't reproduce it then it must not work. You sound like you should work for the Dev team under Misk.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Yoshi said:
    What a bunch of miss information.  We are not talking about logging out we are talking about logging in a different char and yes a stupid monbat WILL prevent you from logging in another char.  The cool down is stupid.
    If something flags on you (ie you are not the aggressor) and you do not hit them (they can hit you) - you are able to log out without a timer.

You can literally go test this yourself right now. 

What shard are you guys on - happy to help dispel your confusion.  It's not like I have anything better to do in the game since the event is broken and Kyronix won't respond about fixing it.
  • I thought Camping was supposed to override the combat flag once the camp was secure, takes 20 seconds I think? I seem to remember it doing that back in the early 2000s. It does not override the timer now, but does seem quicker than 2 minutes.
    The camping gump is incorrect when it says you can safely log out when the camp is secure.
    This could be a quicker mechanism for secure log out if 'fixed' (not sure if its broken, or was changed).
    Humans with Jack of All Trades can usually start a fire in a few seconds, other races would have to be granted 20 hidden camping as well.

Never thought I would be talking UO camping in 2022.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    Yoshi said:
    Not sure where you're getting this. I can run by a headless, or mongbat, or a rat near the stairs at my house and have to time out. If I'm hitting back, I'm doing it at lighting speed. Because even if at peace, flying by rather than taking a wide berth, I have to time out if I'm hit.

I've always assumed, since this pita has been talked about forever and ever and it hasn't been changed, that it's not a simple or easy fix to separate heat of battle code from pvm and pvp.
    Merlin said:

The timer would end up being abused for instant log out while PvM fighting.   Surely you can conjure some ideas for how this could be scripted to advantage, no? 

And as I said before... I'll say it again:

IT'S NOT BROKEN.  DON'T FIX IT.

Merlin said:
    Merlin said:

The timer would end up being abused for instant log out while PvM fighting.   Surely you can conjure some ideas for how this could be scripted to advantage, no? 

These excuses are weak you can't leave the roof go home change templates with soulstones log out log in and go back no worth doing boss works like that and Frankly the scripting is going to happen the team has proven over and over we can't stop the simplest thing and really I'd rather just not wait the two minutes 
    edited May 2022
    McDougle said:
    Merlin said:
    Merlin said:

These excuses are weak you can't leave the roof go home change templates with soulstones log out log in and go back no worth doing boss works like that and Frankly the scripting is going to happen the team has proven over and over we can't stop the simplest thing and really I'd rather just not wait the two minutes 

Train up camping and put it on a soulstone if you want quicker log out.  There is no need for a change to this mechanic.