This event proves to me the devs have no idea what's going on or what they're doing

usernameusername Posts: 710
edited April 20 in General Discussions
Like we even needed that affirmation, but...
Void pool dishing out 100+ hats per hour per player while doing 1 damage per wave... while tmaps/beacons/other aspects giving a small fraction of the hat rewards. Yea, people are surely going to go dig up a TMap for the 2-5 hats it gives.
A 150 point best in slot chest piece that took several hours to get previously to a 80 point where multiple can be claimed in one hour. Same thing for the other repeat rewards, these need to be distinguished between regular ToT and whatever these Spring events are and NOT have the ToT rewards repeated in the Spring if this is the way you guys are going to handle it.
A luck helmet that sucks ass as the top point rewards... well guess who cares when you can claim 20 of them.

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the rewards are easy to get, but unlike last Spring where the rewards were lower cost lower end repeats, some these are HIGHEST PRICED AND BEST IN SLOT TOT REPEATS for a cheaper price???? Hello?

Also, didn't learn anything from Destard did we? Bot armies go brrrr

@Kyronix you seriously need to listen to player feedback as it's clear you guys don't play the game. What's even the point of it going to TC1 if you're not going to listen to over half the feedback?

A better option for this event would have been to keep with the Black Market update as the one half but instead of this goofy hat crap maybe update the void pool rewards instead? No wonder the void pool was always worthless content, look at the rewards! Hey more feedback they'll never take in to consideration.

Poolboy post in 3... 2... 1...

This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,121

Great Event!!

Players can get hats at a nice rate and fill those item slots on all their toons.  Take hats to other shards for Balron armor there.

Any playstyle that will kill stuff can get hats, specific trade skills are involved in getting hats.

I am having a lot of fun!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 907
    the amount of multi-boxers is just sickening.       I guess we're all to start multiboxing?   it sure as hell has been looking like it's safe and legal.

seems like almost everyone else is, and the ones who aren't are piggy-backing off of the multiboxers.... 

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,318
    edited April 20
    Not too bad an event.  Hats not too hard to get.  For treasure hunters supply chests don’t require much effort to do and appear to yield one or two hats each.  For fighters, Void return is pretty good.  I can do Void maybe two times a night before it confuses me.  After that maybe a few chests to wind down.  Rewards don’t interest me that much, but otherwise ok.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,123Dev
    Always appreciate your thoughtful and passionate feedback.  Happy Hunting!
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    edited April 20
    Kyronix said:
    Always appreciate your thoughtful and passionate feedback.  Happy Hunting!
    Can you comment on why a top tier previous ToT item that cost 150 points best in slot chest piece for any melee template was reduced to being a 80 point repeat? When points are incredibly easy to get? Even at the time of the Balron Bone Armor release people were fawning over it with good reason: it out-stats most of those 'no-name' legendaries that don't even drop anymore. I'd even argue it's one of, if not THE, best item ever given out in a ToT. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the rationale. I mean, compare the helmet and the chest piece... all you need is one glance. I just don't get it.

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,039
    Why would anyone complain about prices falling?  Unless they are going to lose money 
    edited April 20
    Grimbeard said:
    Why would anyone complain about prices falling?  Unless they are going to lose money 
    First off, good failed straw-man. No one mentioned money in this thread... I mentioned POINT COST which has nothing to do with monetary valuePerhaps read better in the future if you intend to troll or make veiled accusations.

Second, I'm glad you brought up losing money. The devs themselves have very good incentive to keep demand for these items high and not give them away too easily, as they're doing here. No one should buy potions of glorious fortune as you're guaranteed 1 point per wave you participate in at the void pool. Typically potions are very popular at regular ToTs for a higher rate/drop chance but the drop chance at the void pool is 100% static: you participate in a wave, you get a hat. Potion doesn't affect this, you always get the 1.

So yes, the devs have an extremely good reason to make the best rewards not only a bit higher cost but also points harder to get (than this event anyways) and keep them monetarily value high. When these rewards are on vendors for 20m why spend more or real life $ on soverigns to get a potion when you can just buy the reward cheaper?

Well, the devs should be concerned with this anyway, doesn't seem like it was given any though this round right @Kyronix

Grimbeard tried, Grimbeard failed :(

• poppspopps Posts: 3,956
    username said:
    Like we even needed that affirmation, but...
    Void pool dishing out 100+ hats per hour per player while doing 1 damage per wave... while tmaps/beacons/other aspects giving a small fraction of the hat rewards. Yea, people are surely going to go dig up a TMap for the 2-5 hats it gives.
    A 150 point best in slot chest piece that took several hours to get previously to a 80 point where multiple can be claimed in one hour. Same thing for the other repeat rewards, these need to be distinguished between regular ToT and whatever these Spring events are and NOT have the ToT rewards repeated in the Spring if this is the way you guys are going to handle it.
    A luck helmet that sucks ass as the top point rewards... well guess who cares when you can claim 20 of them.

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the rewards are easy to get, but unlike last Spring where the rewards were lower cost lower end repeats, some these are HIGHEST PRICED AND BEST IN SLOT TOT REPEATS for a cheaper price???? Hello?

Also, didn't learn anything from Destard did we? Bot armies go brrrr

@ Kyronix you seriously need to listen to player feedback as it's clear you guys don't play the game. What's even the point of it going to TC1 if you're not going to listen to over half the feedback?

A better option for this event would have been to keep with the Black Market update as the one half but instead of this goofy hat crap maybe update the void pool rewards instead? No wonder the void pool was always worthless content, look at the rewards! Hey more feedback they'll never take in to consideration.

Poolboy post in 3... 2... 1...

I am not sure what you are talking about.

I was at the Void Pool from Wave 0 to Wave 72 when it ended (over an hour to my recallection), I was active a lot trying to kill as many Pirates I could and I got 26 Pirate Hats which I am not complaining about but certainly not the 100 that you mention.

I found it OK as a drop rate and I would certainly not want to see it nerfed. I do not have much time this time of the year to spend in UO so, if I want to get some of the Rewards, I need to maximize my drops in the limited time I can play.

I am very OK with the current Void Pool drop rate, if other collection drop rates like for Treasure Maps or SOSes will be increased, it is OK with me but personally, I think that the Void Pool drop rate is fine as it is.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,039
    username said:
    Grimbeard said:
    First off, good failed straw-man. No one mentioned money in this thread... I mentioned POINT COST which has nothing to do with monetary valuePerhaps read better in the future if you intend to troll or make veiled accusations.

Second, I'm glad you brought up losing money. The devs themselves have very good incentive to keep demand for these items high and not give them away too easily, as they're doing here. No one should buy potions of glorious fortune as you're guaranteed 1 point per wave you participate in at the void pool. Typically potions are very popular at regular ToTs for a higher rate/drop chance but the drop chance at the void pool is 100% static: you participate in a wave, you get a hat. Potion doesn't affect this, you always get the 1.

So yes, the devs have an extremely good reason to make the best rewards not only a bit higher cost but also points harder to get (than this event anyways) and keep them monetarily value high. When these rewards are on vendors for 20m why spend more or real life $ on soverigns to get a potion when you can just buy the reward cheaper?

Well, the devs should be concerned with this anyway, doesn't seem like it was given any though this round right @ Kyronix

Grimbeard tried, Grimbeard failed :(
    No  one holds the developers to a higher standard than me but again only profiteers care when prices fall
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,801
    I am averaging 1 hat for every 2 stash maps that I dig up.  I am fine with that because stash maps are a relaxing way to get gold. While I can solo trove maps who wants the stress that comes from that. Stash maps are the vorpal bunny of this event.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,855
    Great event that let's all playstyles participate and get something nice. I'll be able to get the Balron on my secondary melee character now Great job @Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna ;
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,353
    Does it occur to anyone that the devs don't take into account the gold cost of anything? They just want people to have fun getting the stuff they want. I'm having fun, dunno about anyone else. I'll do treasure maps, because I like doing them and I get other stuff besides hats, there's plenty of time at the rate hats drop in maps to get the rewards I want before the end of the event.

I'll also do some pirating and some mib fishing and maybe the void pool when my guild decide to go there. I can almost guarantee that by doing all the different activities I'll get bored a lot less quickly than folk who are knocking themselves out to amass loads of hats from void pool

Did you know that the dread pirates hats have their names on? Some of those I won't be handing in at all, I'll keep them for souvenirs.
    edited April 20
    Grimbeard said:
    No  one holds the developers to a higher standard than me but again only profiteers care when prices fall
    Again, you're the only one that brought up the price.

Does it occur to anyone that the devs don't take into account the gold cost of anything?
    You are the second person to bring up the gold cost. I did not. You would know that if you actually READ the post.

• psychopsycho Posts: 292

I just have two comments on this.

1: The script pool breaks the pirate event. Too many hats, 3months to go.

2: Seems I made both points in 1, read that line again.

Thank you
  • DragoDrago Posts: 294
    edited April 20
    Honestly, none of the rewards are worth getting on my ship and sailing to the sea market to claim.

edited April 20
    psycho said:

Thank you

The void pool really needed to be properly tuned or not included (or cheaters dealt with LOL YEA RIGHT). However, the devs ignored the feedback given. Guess they know best.

• looploop Posts: 310
    There was nothing “hard” or fulfilling about earning anything from the prior events. The point values are according to the context of the time, and your “reward” for getting X item during Y event is that you got to play with your toy sooner.

That said, Void Pool is the worst aspect, and I wish the content would revolve less around concentrating bots and players into a single location.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,265
    edited April 20
    I'm enjoying it, if I get enough hats, if I get bored of Void Pool, I will move on to T Hunting, then maybe even Pirate beacons!

Yes I'm hitting it very hard, you never know what will happen next in UO, and I want to make sure there are enough items in play this time, previous equipment bottlenecks have caused problems for players.

For everyone complaining, look at the numbers there. When was the last time you did Void Pool? I personally love Void Pool, and love the fact there is a reason to be there.
    edited April 20
    Cookie said:
    For everyone complaining, look at the numbers there. When was the last time you did Void Pool? I personally love Void Pool, and love the fact there is a reason to be there.
    When's the last time anyone wanted to willingly do the void pool? The rewards are garbage, as they were when released. I think some have even been added to BOD rewards too? The real only point was a 'brag' to be on the leaderboards but on my server all of those old records have been completely smashed... top single point'ers are already 4x outdone a few days in to the event lol.

Seriously still wish they'd have done everything the same EXCEPT not added hats do the void pool but instead revamp the rewards. 

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,265
    edited April 20
    username said:
    Cookie said:
    When's the last time anyone wanted to willingly do the void pool? The rewards are garbage, as they were when released. I think some have even been added to BOD rewards too? The real only point was a 'brag' to be on the leaderboards but on my server all of those old records have been completely smashed... top single point'ers are already 4x outdone a few days in to the event lol.

Seriously still wish they'd have done everything the same EXCEPT not added hats do the void pool but instead revamp the rewards. 
    I agree, most of us would like to see re-vamps of rewards, right across the board of all the old content, it would bring back so much, content that people enjoy, but don't see the point of.

But this does not seem to be an option, so this is the next best thing for now, until we can convince the devs otherwise :)

If they want someone to work on the entire loot revamp, I would do it :)

I may have missed your point a bit there, could there have been a few more reward options? Probably.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 110
    I think the event is overly focused on the void pool, but I can't complain otherwise. The bots parked near the entrance are lame, but the event gives out enough goodies that I'm not really bothered. I'll be able to get what I want and more besides. I don't care if the items end up costing only X gold instead of 3X or whatever, stuff in the game is too expensive these days anyway.

On the whole, thumbs up.
    edited April 20
    @username. Can you point out the feedback saying the void pool gave too many hats while the event was on TC?

I'm like Popps,  I do not get anywhere near 1 hat per level. The first 30 levels I'm lucky to get 4 hats.  Then maybe 1 per level, but if I spend the whole higher level just damaging stuff, I get no hat for that level.

Hats drop nicely in all the parts that I participate.
    I'll have enough for items on other shards.  Too bad there is not a plus MR item for making gates to Artisan festival. 

Sorry an armor item is not best in slot when it has no mana regen and stats not at caps.  It just helps make more swords sampires. Because it is nice but fits no other template.
    edited April 20
    Does it occur to anyone that the devs don't take into account the gold cost of anything? They just want people to have fun getting the stuff they want. I'm having fun, dunno about anyone else. I'll do treasure maps, because I like doing them and I get other stuff besides hats, there's plenty of time at the rate hats drop in maps to get the rewards I want before the end of the event.

I'll also do some pirating and some mib fishing and maybe the void pool when my guild decide to go there. I can almost guarantee that by doing all the different activities I'll get bored a lot less quickly than folk who are knocking themselves out to amass loads of hats from void pool

Did you know that the dread pirates hats have their names on? Some of those I won't be handing in at all, I'll keep them for souvenirs.
    The Hats I am getting have no name... they are all labelled "Plunderin' Pirate Hat"...

Is that a rare drop a Pirate Hat with a name ? Do you know how many Pirate names there are for Pirate Hats ?
    psycho said:

Thank you
    I would not worry at all about the Void Pool... after the usual initial hype, soon, people will not go to do it as these first days and guess what ? The Void Pool will be useless to get Pirate Hats because, in order to get good drops, it is necessary a large number of players to go into the higher waves...

With jus a hanndful of players, it is not possible to go beyond 40-50 waves, maybe a few more but those waves give little Pirate Hats drops.

So, give it a little time, when the novelty of the thing will be over, I guess that the Void Pool will no longer be a viable way to get Pirate Hats but thanking to the Developers, players will still have the other collection methods to entertain even when they are playing solo or with too few people to do the Void Pool.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 110
    I'd just stop participating before I bothered caring about the pitiful low level of hats from everything besides the void pool.
    If players are getting one hat per void level, how are these players playing UO with only 25 items in their backpack?

I got my starting pack down to 75 for this,  I have done quite a few void pools but have never filled my backpack.  How am I in there for 75+ levels but have never received 50 hats to fill my backpack?
    Just did Void Pool lvl 1 thru 60 something with others,  22 hats.
    My FWW/Chiv Triton and me.

I think that is perfectly reasonable amount of drops. @Kyronix
  • VioletViolet Posts: 372
    edited April 20
    username said:
    Void pool dishing out 100+ hats per hour per player on Atlantic

@ Kyronix you seriously need to listen to player feedback as it's clear you guys don't play the game. What's even the point of it going to TC1 if you're not going to listen to over half the feedback?
    Fixed that for you.  There are more servers than Atlantic and even then I would question the claim of 100 hats an hour.

What feedback did they not listen to on TC1 regarding Void Pool?

On Origin players complained about AFKers. That was fixed immediately. Now people have to contribute.

Also, there are things that you can do that are just as lucrative or more so than Void Pool. I have not spent a minute in Void Pool since worldwide release.

The only real problem with this event is all the blatant multi-boxing in the void pool, but that has been an increasing problem the past several years.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 247
    I don't know if the point totals or how quickly you can farm hats is the issue.  But it does feel like the options are very limited this event to spend points on are the shield and balron bone armor.
  • VenomVenom Posts: 24
    As someone who had taken a hiatus from UO when the original Balron chest piece was offered, it's nice to have a shot at them. With that said, I do understand how it may bother some who obtained them when it required more time/effort. This isn't really a new issue, but I do think the chest piece's value as an item was going to lead to this. It's clear that at some point, rewards will be recycled. From what I understand, this chest piece was offered back in 2021 -- that's 3 years ago. Should they have made it more expensive, in terms of points, to obtain it now? Maybe. That's always going to be a personal opinion.

Attempting to craft the reward values for players that range from playing hours every day to maybe an hour a week is incredibly hard, but they need to keep subscribers. Which approach is going to keep or possibly create more subscriptions?

Personally, I think the new luck helmet is the way to go; it can be enhanced, isn't some insanely greater piece of gear, and even a person who plays causally, like myself, can obtain it. While I'd wager that most people will enhance it with 40 more luck, I do think it would be worth - if possible - exploring doing a similar setup for new items for events. Can they make it so players need to decide how to "customize" that piece in order to fit their needs?

As someone who leads a team that releases updates to code, I find myself in a bind of different groups with competing requests -- and often, it's a binary decision. I think this event is balanced in a fashion that greatly rewards hardcore players and still allows causal players to obtain items that were likely out of reach.

Do the devs play the game? I don't know, and I don't truly think that matters. They could play it or not and still make the same decisions.