UO Enhanced Client : what setting am I missing on my screen ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,957
edited September 2023 in General Discussions
I just installed UO Enhanced Client on a different computer but, after downloading the updates and launching the game, I get only the play window.... no toolbars and nothing else ?

I can move my character around and I am logged, but with no toolbars and nothing else showing on the screen, it kinda is hard to play.... to exit the client I need to click the X in the upper right corner of the window as the LOGOUT button is not showing...

Furthermore, with a Main Toolbar with the Settings button NOT showing on my screen, I am not sure how I can even change any of the settings .... are there keyboard keys or keys combinations which can be used to pop up the Settings for the Enhanced Client ?

Anyways, anyone has an idea how to fix this ?

Thank you for the kind help.

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,855
    edited September 2023
    my first suggestion would be to try the two key combo's in the pic. if that doesn't get it, let us know and i'll keep thinking about possible causes.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• poppspopps Posts: 3,957
    edited September 2023
    Tried both key combo's in your pic, several times, but, unfortunately, neither one worked....

Any other idea of what might be causing this odd occurrance ?

Another weird thing is, that I am logged, I can open doors, and if I hoover with the mouse on containers they do highlight (but I get no text description of anything I hoover the mouse on....) but then, if I double click on the highlighted containers, I cannot open them, not even in my own house....

I can pick up coffee beans off my plants, though... but if I go to a Garden shed with plants ready to harvest seeds and resources and double click them, nothing happens... it really is weird...

I also tried to log in a different character to see whether the issue could be character related but I get the same problems also with the other character so, it seems to be client related....
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,041
    popps said:
    Tried both key combo's in your pic, several times, but, unfortunately, neither one worked....

Another weird thing is, that I am logged, I can open doors, and if I hoover with the mouse on containers they do highlight (but I get no text description of anything I hoover the mouse on....) but then, if I double click on the highlighted containers, I cannot open them, not even in my own house....

I can pick up coffee beans off my plants, though... but if I go to a Garden shed with plants ready to harvest seeds and resources and double click them, nothing happens... it really is weird...

I also tried to log in a different character to see whether the issue could be character related but I get the same problems also with the other character so, it seems to be client related....
    Did you install as administrator 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,994Moderator
    I have no idea what has happened there. All I can suggest is try a 'full file check'.
    edited September 2023

Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

@popps this is one of the only other things i can think of Besides what @Mariah said about the file check. make sure you are doing everything as admin. did you transfer the character files or build new ones. you may want to rename one and then have the game build a new one from scratch.

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 811
    edited September 2023
    Left-Shift-A is the default key combination for "Toggle Interface".  You've shown what the UI looks like when it has been toggled off.

p.s. as a side note, you can install, patch, and run the game without being administrator, with some minor tweaks.
    edited September 2023
    Left-Shift-A is the default key combination for "Toggle Interface".  You've shown what the UI looks like when it has been toggled off.

p.s. as a side note, you can install, patch, and run the game without being administrator, with some minor tweaks.
    Yep, @ForeverFun is accurate @popps i had changed mine to to add the other to use it with something else. brand new char with no changes below. Apologies on forgetting that.

Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Can't remember...

• popps said:
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Can't remember...

Did you ever get this resolved, and what did you have to do?

edited October 2023
    popps said:
    Grimbeard said:
    popps said:

Can't remember...

Did you ever get this resolved, and what did you have to do?
    I have not really resolved it.... I have also installed Pinco's UI on the computer and, if I launch the Enhanced Client with the Pinco's UI, I do not have this issue that I have if I launch the Enhanced Client with the Default UI (under Custom UI), not the Pinco's UI....

I ended up using the Enhanced Client only with the Pinco's UI but, I would like to know "how", with the Pinco's UI installed on the computer, I could still be able to launch the Enhanced Client alone, without the Pinco's UI (with the Default UI selected under Custom UI) without having the issues which I experienced in the OP....

Anyone who uses both, the Enhanced Client with Pinco's UI and also, at times, the Enhanced Client without the Pinco's UI but with the Default UI selected under Custom UI without having the issues that I am having perhaps could help out ?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,803
    Pinco's UI user config files are not compatible with the default UI. You need to keep two different sets of user config files if you want to switch between the two UIs. Just remember to swap the user files before starting the other UI.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 914
    edited October 2023
    I was going to chip in some help, then I saw who started this, renowned for presenting problems and sitting back and waiting for others to solve his issues.

then of course denying to death any replies

i am. Bit shocked with the “can’t remember” reply above, very un-Popps like 

lucky escape 
    edited October 2023
    TimSt said:
    Pinco's UI user config files are not compatible with the default UI. You need to keep two different sets of user config files if you want to switch between the two UIs. Just remember to swap the user files before starting the other UI.
    May I ask what exactly I should do in order to keep 2 different sets of user config files ?

I currently have Pinco's UI.

Do I need to delete Pinco's UI entirely, in order to have a "clean" user config set of files for the DEFAULT UI (is it a folder ? Where at ?) ?

Then, rename that Default UI folder with the user config set of files, install Pinco's UI and also rename that Folder so to then have "either one" to be named appropriatedly whenever I should want to swap in between the Pinco's UI and the Default UI ?

Thanks for the kind help !!
    Personally I log into different user accounts on my computer. One account uses my version of the default UI and the other account uses Pinco's UI. But if you do not want to go that approach:

No need to uninstall Pinco's.
    Rename the directory
    C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data
    to
    C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data Pinco
    Start up the default UI using the default patcher

When you want to use Pinco's
    Rename the directory
    to
    C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data Default
    Rename the directory
    C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data Pinco
    to
    When you want to use the default UI again
    Rename the directory
    to
    then rename the directory
    C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data Default
    to
    then start the default UI using the default patcher.
    TimSt said:
    Personally I log into different user accounts on my computer. One account uses my version of the default UI and the other account uses Pinco's UI. But if you do not want to go that approach:

No need to uninstall Pinco's.
    Rename the directory
    to
    Start up the default UI using the default patcher

When you want to use Pinco's
    Rename the directory
    to
    Rename the directory
    to
    When you want to use the default UI again
    Rename the directory
    to
    then rename the directory
    to
    then start the default UI using the default patcher.
    Thank you for the useful info !!

I think that using different users accounts as you do could be more practical (and faster...).

In that case, do I need to do a "double install" of the Enhanced Client for User Account A and User Account B and of Pinco's UI for only User Account A which will use Pinco ?

That is, 1 User Account will have both the Enhanced Client and Pinco installed while the other User Account will only have the Enhanced Client installed...

Is this what I should do ?
    edited October 2023
    You only need to install the default EC once. But you will need to manually create the short cut to the patcher "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\uopatch.exe" on the desktop of the second account. 

Open the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced" in Windows Explorer.
    Select uopatch.exe
    Press and hold both the control and shift keys
    Drag uopatch.exe to the desktop.  It should say create link to desktop while you are dragging.
    After dragging there should be an icon on the desktop that says "uopatch.exe Shortcut".
    Rename the icon to "Ultima Online Enhanced Client"

TimSt said:
    You only need to install the default EC once. But you will need to manually create the short cut to the patcher "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\uopatch.exe" on the desktop of the second account. 

Open the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced" in Windows Explorer.
    Select uopatch.exe
    Press and hold both the control and shift keys
    Drag uopatch.exe to the desktop.  It should say create link to desktop while you are dragging.
    After dragging there should be an icon on the desktop that says "uopatch.exe Shortcut".
    Rename the icon to "Ultima Online Enhanced Client"

Thank you very much for the useful help !