Looking for some tips in High Seas

Hey!
I've been very much enjoying the High Seas expansion for a while now, going out fighting pirates, lighthouses and collecting doubloons, but one aspect I haven't been able to do is actually work towards the Orc Ship. No matter how hard I try, I cannot put a dent into the Dread Pirates at all. I can take down ships and lighthouses fairly quickly, but the Dread Pirates heal quicker than I can deal damage to them. 
Now I know I'm not playing to a meta, or at least that I know of, but my main damage output is Magery. I am GM Magery, Eva Int, Necromancy and Spirit Speak. I am also GM Swordsmanship and 56 Tactics, but my gear is casting specific. 
Best gear I can afford on my server gives me 56 Spell Damage Increase. I cast an EV and a Vengeful Spirit, and still barely make a dent. But I one hit Orc Bombers, two hit Orc Mages and maybe 4 - 5 hit the Orcs at a lighthouse 

Any tips will be greatly appreciated, thanks! 
Also is casting focus linked to being able to cast without getting interrupted? 

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    For the Orcs on the Beacons you can use Chain Lightning spell and if you have an orc slayer book or repond. That can hit 3 of them at a time or use E Bolt.

I use a pet for Dread Pirates, I doubt I would try with anything else.

Good Luck
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Will be very tough to kill with a caster a pet for sure your best bet but really easier to just buy an orc ship 
  • CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    edited September 2023
    are you going in wraith form?
    have you tried the magery mastery spell death ray?

or you could use the necro mastery and command undead - find yourself 2 skeletal dragons or ancient liches
    Covfefe said:

or you could use the necro mastery and command undead - find yourself 2 skeletal dragons or ancient liches
    You've never killed a dread pirate have you
    not for a long time, remind me what the deal is with them.
    I remember you're not supposed to disarm them or something.
    Covfefe said:
    not for a long time, remind me what the deal is with them.
    I remember you're not supposed to disarm them or something.
    Never ever disarm!
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    When soloing dread pirates with my pure mage I summon a water elemental and an earth elemental and have them attack the dread pirate. I invis until the dread pirate targets one of the summons then I cast death ray and target the dread pirate.
    edited September 2023
    think i did something similar to TimSt, except i might have told the earth eles to stay so they're not killed by physical attack so i didn't have to keep casting them, (maybe i'm getting confused with something else)

the OP says he has swords, might be worth trying a bane weapon like captain John's Blade when it gets low .
    edited September 2023
    Ya lots of Mana regen and use death ray with something tanking the Pirate sounds feasible.  I have received quite a few tabards using 100 Magery and Death Ray on Captains.

I am surprised the Pirate cant kill ele summonds quickly tho.

The key to getting lots of Orc ships is to do each one with multiple accounts.  If you are on LS I can give you an Orc Ship.
    edited September 2023
    what i mean is, you cast the earth ele, say all kill but say all stay straight away so they're not hitting the pirate, can't recall if you have to leave the eles on your ship if it's possible. And you just make sure the eles are stood closer to pirate than you. Again i might be getting confused with how i deal with the piper.
    edited September 2023
    Ah so the Pirate just stands there trying to kill the Summond.  I'm too busy collecting Anniv tokens to see if that would keep the Pirate from changing targets.

I do not recommend this tactic of having the pirate attacking something it can not reach, would be too much like a bagball.
  • It took me forever to figure out a template I enjoyed that wasn’t a tamer that could take out a Dread Pirate (solo) rather than be in an all day standoff. Though not as swashbuckling as I’d like (I’d prefer being able to sword fight effectively), this is what I came up for soloing dread pirates.

It’s a little clunky in that, depending on what I’m up to with the character, I’ll occasionally need to shift skills around with soul stones. And I’m sure this template takes longer than a tamer’s, using a pet but, meh. You have to enjoy what you’re playing, right?

For pirate hunting and taking out beacons I’ll use
    Anatomy
    Archery
    Focus
    Healing
    Mysticism
    Tactics
     I may or may not take a few shots at dread with cannon, using grapeshot. Grapeshot does damage to ship and its crew. I wouldn’t advise using it on merchants. I plink away with my bow (which isn’t anything fancy), while casting and recruiting a Raising Colossus to fight the dread too.

The downside is travel. I need to have my runebooks loaded with recall spells. Which isn’t really a big deal if you stockpile recall scrolls. If I’m doing a lot of running around with this character I’ll switch out a skill for Chivalry to travel with.

If I’m going fishing and or pulling up chests I’ll shuffle skills around too. 

It’s a pretty fun character to play.

LilyGrace said:
    It took me forever to figure out a template I enjoyed that wasn’t a tamer that could take out a Dread Pirate (solo) rather than be in an all day standoff. Though not as swashbuckling as I’d like (I’d prefer being able to sword fight effectively), this is what I came up for soloing dread pirates.

It’s a little clunky in that, depending on what I’m up to with the character, I’ll occasionally need to shift skills around with soul stones. And I’m sure this template takes longer than a tamer’s, using a pet but, meh. You have to enjoy what you’re playing, right?

For pirate hunting and taking out beacons I’ll use
    Anatomy
    Archery
    Focus
    Healing
    Mysticism
    Tactics
     I may or may not take a few shots at dread with cannon, using grapeshot. Grapeshot does damage to ship and its crew. I wouldn’t advise using it on merchants. I plink away with my bow (which isn’t anything fancy), while casting and recruiting a Raising Colossus to fight the dread too.

The downside is travel. I need to have my runebooks loaded with recall spells. Which isn’t really a big deal if you stockpile recall scrolls. If I’m doing a lot of running around with this character I’ll switch out a skill for Chivalry to travel with.

If I’m going fishing and or pulling up chests I’ll shuffle skills around too. 

It’s a pretty fun character to play.

I wish they would update spells so they all have a travel method 
    She has Chivalry for travel.  But if not, a runic atlas that holds 90 charges lasts a long time.  Can buy recall scrolls cheap.
  • Pawain said:
    She has Chivalry for travel.  But if not, a runic atlas that holds 90 charges lasts a long time.  Can buy recall scrolls cheap.
    What's this Recall you speak of?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Covfefe said:

This ^. Use the Necromancy Mastery ability "Command Undead" to gain control over 2 Skeletal Dragons (you can control one in the Ratman Caves just NW of the Sacrifice Moongate in Ilshenar, then leave the facet with it, and another will spawn in the cave that you can go back to control as well). Skeletal Dragons have high melee damage output like Shadow Wyrms do, and the Necro Mastery gives them Life Leech, so they can keep themselves healed while fighting the Dread Pirate.
  • Thanks for the info all! I've been wanting to setup an Archer, so maybe in the long run I'll just start doing Pirates with an Archer/Tamer build instead. It's been a few days and I've been playing around with my own setup. Unfortunately, I don't have the expansion to be able to use Death Ray and I am going at this in Wraith form, though one on one against the Dread Pirate, I wasn't leeching enough mana back to keep up casting.
    I have managed to take down one pirate so far! I went out and got a Spell Channeling swordsmanship weapon with 100% mana leech and what I did was cast an EV, cast a Vengeful Spirit, raise three undead, then run in and start meleeing while also casting Chain Lightning. Then just keep raising undead until I run out of bodies and by then I'll have the pirate down to about 20% - 30% health left in maybe 5 minutes or less. I've done this a couple of times, but only stuck around finishing off one pirate because that last bit takes quiet a long time to do >< 
    So I'm thinking I might be able to capture pirates with the bounty quest better than actually killing them at least, though I went to go start the quest the other day and I couldn't get the quest to start. Double clicking Bigglesby would only bring up his paperdoll... Thanks again!
    You have to have the quest on and capture to get Orc Ship parts.  Also they have to be near dead before you can use the rope.
  • Ahh okay, cool. That's all I want to do then anyway. But starting the quest, am I missing something? Obviously, I have High Seas. I went to the Sea Markets and Bigglesby wasn't giving out any quests though? The guide just says I have to talk to him to start it, but I suppose the guide could be out dated?
    I also tried to give him the Death Certificate and it just disappeared and I got no reward ><  
  • HippoHippo Posts: 280
    edited September 2023
    I only use Dread Pirates to train pets. My Orc Ships I buy on VS then transfer to other shards that I pirate on. What shard are you on? I may have some Orc Ship parts in a sea chest. My two man crew consists of a mystic thrower (orc slayer glaive w/hit lightning) or mage/archer or a tamer/mystic. The Navigator is always a 100% Hide Mage or mystic that hides in the bow and fires cannon while hidden. I hate chasing down a ship when they run off after seeing you; however, if you are hidden you can touch target and fire cannon while hidden then you can pop aboard.
  • That's all good, thanks for the offer and the tips of how you approach dread pirates. I really enjoy High Seas from Pirates to even the professional fishing quest, so I don't really want to buy an Orc Ship or get one from someone else (as I've had multiple offers haha), but I do really appreciate the offer, I just want to earn one for myself, much like unlocking a bunch of things from the Doubloons guy rather than buying from other players :)
    Ya, after you do it a while you will have a ton of everything. Getting items yourself is fun.  I recall the first parrot I worked for.  Took a while.

And if you don't see a reward it was probably a special cannonball that you will someday find in your backpack.
  • MitMit Posts: 38
    I got all my Orc ships in tokono there's a npc there named Hikoza at the docks. He give out those quests.. double klik.. 

• Mit said:
    I got all my Orc ships in tokono there's a npc there named Hikoza at the docks. He give out those quests.. double klik.. 

Quickest way to do it IMO as well. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo