New legacy economy

2»

Comments

• popps said:
    Smoot said:
    Holumer said:
    I was not talking about production.  New legacy, as said in the title......
    What do you think you are going to be killing in NL to amass 30M?  Also remember the shard gets wiped every year.  If it is pre AoS what do you really need all that gold for?

ratman archers, and sell the arrows to an npc.  and buying anything from low priced npcs then selling to higher priced npcs.  not sure how this will work on the new server or if npc sales will even be possible (its not on siege), but its a easy way to make gold on a new shard / fresh character.  can make a good amount relatively fast.  

If it will be possible to AFK script on New Legacy and use the various cheats and third party utilities which have plagued Ultima Online for such a long time, well, I guess that New Legacy gameplay, after all, won't be much different as it is in Ultima Online's traditional servers.... plagued with cheats, scripts, automated BOTs......
    What?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    edited August 2023
    Until we stop playing on computers that can do those things, those things will be done.

Maybe you can try the Board game version of UO.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Pawain said:
    Until we stop playing on computers that can do those things, those things will be done.

Yet other games manage to combat these things...
    edited September 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Really.  How do you know if I typed this sentence or said it and my phone typed it.

What game has no macros? Or buttons to push. My keyboard can be set to "press" any button or comfortable of buttons.  A game does not know how the data arrives.

See my phone changed combination to comfortable.  Does this forums software know that?

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    The carrot in NLS are rewards to bring back production.

But since it's a different combat system, maybe the "rewards" are just decorative items or wearables.

I doubt it's anything that can make our production characters stronger in any way.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,254
     B) 
  • Seth said:
    The carrot in NLS are rewards to bring back production.

But since it's a different combat system, maybe the "rewards" are just decorative items or wearables.

I doubt it's anything that can make our production characters stronger in any way.

I can’t remember exactly what it was I read ages ago that led me to believe there’ll be unique deco items that can be brought back to your home shard/shards but I know I saw something along those lines. I hope that’ll be the case. Otherwise I don’t know that I’d make the investment of my time in NL. 
  • Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Really.  How do you know if I typed this sentence or said it and my phone typed it.

What game has no macros? Or buttons to push. My keyboard can be set to "press" any button or comfortable of buttons.  A game does not know how the data arrives.

See my phone changed combination to comfortable.  Does this forums software know that?

How do we know you're real?  I mean, we could all be a bunch of A-I produced Super-Trolls

Skynet GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Any chance we could give up the morbid speculation and guess work and just wait and see what NL is like when it happens?
    I'd sum this thread up this way.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Mariah said:
    Any chance we could give up the morbid speculation and guess work and just wait and see what NL is like when it happens?

I'd say this thread should be closed then because with such a lack of details about NL there is nothing to do but speculate. And unless this thread was only meant for the pomp pom wavers to say how good NL will be in an attempt to makeup for the 3+ year build up, it's bound to happen. The negative speculation is a byproduct of the timeline and lack of details... the Dev team is painting themselves into a corner on needing to deliver a grand slam of a project.

Anyways... there will likely be scripting / cheats but it might not really matter depending on what happens at shard reset. If all you get is a GM char and some decorations then I don't see a ton in harm in it as long as it's not negatively impacting active players (ie there is 1 spawn of X and a scripter is farming it 23/7 without others being able to partake). If the seasons are 6+ months long, that means some scripter is going to get X gold in Prod once or twice a year for some decorations. I don't think that would be the end of the world. It might not even be worth it for them when they can just farm the dojo on Prod shards instead. Much quicker of a turn around for profit.
  • KarynKaryn Posts: 55
    keven2002 said:
    If the seasons are 6+ months long, that means some scripter is going to get X gold in Prod once or twice a year for some decorations. I don't think that would be the end of the world. It might not even be worth it for them when they can just farm the dojo on Prod shards instead. Much quicker of a turn around for profit.
    This is an interesting point; as people say, "It will be wiped every year." I don't think we've seen confirmation of that. All the references I see say, "It will be wiped every season." Most seasons for other games that do something similar are quarterly, but we've also seen UO extend events beyond their target close date.

To your point, if a season is six months, that has quite a bit less impact on scripting than a year. While I'm sure, scripting will be a thing. However, I'm not sure it will significantly affect a server that gets wiped regularly, given what little we know about the lowered difficulty of NL start-up and grinding.
    Yes, they said a season will be a year. Which can change, just like anything in NL. IMO a year is too long. That is why I remember that.  And items that come to live shards will probably be account bound. 

Since I only have built characters on my home shard, I would transfer any NL toons to another shard. And hope I can transfer any items back home.

But no matter how long the Season is, I hope the crafty UO players will not ruin the economy in a short time.
  • HolumerHolumer Posts: 172
    Pawain,

I agree. I hope the economy does not get ruined also. I hope the NL becomes something that can expand into production and be beneficial for everyone.

If deco is the main carrot for transfers to production, then i hope the transfers are free. I think few people would pay to transfer things just for deco
    I think the transfer is free, for the purpose of bringing back something that shows the Legacy you built in NL.

Yes, mechanics that are popular there can be brought to live shards.  That is a guaranteed win for it.  Crafting, skill gaining and other grinds will be explored.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 528
    edited September 2023
    Smoot said:
    Holumer said:
    I was not talking about production.  New legacy, as said in the title......
    What do you think you are going to be killing in NL to amass 30M?  Also remember the shard gets wiped every year.  If it is pre AoS what do you really need all that gold for?

ratman archers, and sell the arrows to an npc.  and buying anything from low priced npcs then selling to higher priced npcs.  not sure how this will work on the new server or if npc sales will even be possible (its not on siege), but its a easy way to make gold on a new shard / fresh character.  can make a good amount relatively fast.  

Use Archers with Orc Slayer Bows (Juka Bows are an easy way to get that) to kill Orc Brutes in the Orc Caves, then sell the Ind/Invuln Platemail pieces to other players. ;)
    Make sure your guild has a GM Fletcher to supply Arrows, repair the Orc Slayer Bows, and to modify the Juka Bows into usable Slayers.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,952
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Well, at least to my viewing, the problem is not having macros as possible in a game but rather, more complex scripts which make it so that, rather then the player, it can be the computer which can play the game and do automated tasks which, depending on the complexity of the script, can be quite lasting and effective without the player needin to be at the keyboard....

Macros are fine, if the player is at the keyboard and using them playing the game using up player's time.... but if, instead, it is the computer running scripts and not needing the players to spend much of their time being at the keybord and actively playing the game, well..... I see this as a much different issue.....
  • FortisFortis Posts: 410
    Lol seriously nothing will change for economy....people will still buy cool event items from new legacy with uo gold from atlantic like it already done with siege and others shards. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Mariah said:

This is a forum, so its fine to share speculation, expectations. At least, it shows active players are still looking forward to it. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Pawain said:

Well, at least to my viewing, the problem is not having macros as possible in a game but rather, more complex scripts which make it so that, rather then the player, it can be the computer which can play the game and do automated tasks which, depending on the complexity of the script, can be quite lasting and effective without the player needin to be at the keyboard....

Macros are fine, if the player is at the keyboard and using them playing the game using up player's time.... but if, instead, it is the computer running scripts and not needing the players to spend much of their time being at the keybord and actively playing the game, well..... I see this as a much different issue.....
    What?

you once again have perfected the art of saying a lot, but actually you are saying nothing

SHORT, SHARP, CONCISE

Fortis said:
    Lol seriously nothing will change for economy....people will still buy cool event items from new legacy with uo gold from atlantic like it already done with siege and others shards. 
    I really can't see a big demand on an item that rewards you for your accomplishments and will likely have your name on it.  I am thinking these will be more like merit badges that you bring back so I will be making Chars over there with names from my main account, LOL.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Most people already have a full set of developed characters will they add an 8th character slot? No one deleting a scrolled finished character for a title and some deco
    Grimbeard said:
    Most people already have a full set of developed characters will they add an 8th character slot? No one deleting a scrolled finished character for a title and some deco
    You transfer them to shards that are not full
  • HolumerHolumer Posts: 172
    They could just add an item transfer ability