New legacy economy

When i was reviewing the discussion about the want and desire to reset the economy to seek stability, i was asking my self a simple question.

Why not just create a gold cap per account?

You could set it to say 30 mil per account. The economy would adjust to the cap. 
You could further diversify by adding copper and silver to spendable currencies and use something else for VvV.

This would prevent the need for the great cataclysm.

Comments

• JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    edited August 2023
    What cataclysm? Production shards aren't going anywhere.

Second, a cap on gold would mean people would simply open EJ accounts up to store gold. In banks and in piles.

Edit: in retrospect, people having Scrooge McDuck-style money bins to hold their locked down piles of 60k gold greatly appeals to me.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,405
    im sure those with over 30 plat would like this change ...
  • HolumerHolumer Posts: 172
    I was not talking about production.  New legacy, as said in the title......
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Closed economies are the only healthy ones (see Siege) 90% of plats must come from dupes as no way to have legitimately created as much gold as there is 
    Then that is part of the answer that is needed. 
    I am sure broadsword can close economies off on new legacy shards, if they expand the system to non cataclysm shards. I am also quite sure they can write code to track newly inputed gold each day on a specific shard.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    Grimbeard said:
    Closed economies are the only healthy ones (see Siege) 90% of plats must come from dupes as no way to have legitimately created as much gold as there is 

it would be more accurate if there was little to no botting as well.
     fel bots run on shards where there aren't people who look for it, including Siege & Mugen as well..

It'd be nice if the devs 'third-party clients are on our radar' turns out to be more than just words.
     Time will tell.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 512
    Holumer said:
    I see what you mean now. But while wrangling the economy down may have been part of their goals for the NL shard I can’t imagine it is the only thing driving the seasonal experience. If NL isn’t seasonal, what would be the point? 

Well, that is a good question. Im thinking they are using NL as an unofficial uo2 with different systems, updated code and such to bring in new people and get as many older players to switch over as possible. This would allow them to let production servers slowly die off and NL servers spring to life.

If they are able to keep up with events, control the economy and such, i would give it a serious go.

I further hope they do not destroy the character building experience qith streamline cookie cutter mechanics. 
    edited August 2023
    I wouldn't count on that,  We heard that NL will be reset/wiped after a 'season', with a window of time where you're able to transfer your character(s) to production shards, before the reset, we'll see if they stick with all that.

However, if that's the case, gold & perhaps other currencies on NL would only hold any value temporarily, if at all, and assuming there aren't any "NL specific currencies", that don't transfer, they'll be added to the pool of gold you have on whichever production shard you xfer to.  -that's consistent with the way it works going between production shards, I guess it's possible that could change.

We don't even know if the 'window of xfer' offers free transfers or if we have to buy tokens to xfer after each season.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited August 2023
    If NL is old school it will be no property's on items only  GM skills who will want to take thier gm warrior with a Halbert of vanquishing to a production shards pre aos means no sampire no masteries etc
    Grimbeard said:
    If NL is old school it will be no property's on items only  GM skills who will want to take thier gm warrior with a Halbert of vanquishing to a production shards pre aos means no sampire no masteries etc
       Back to the jousting days to kill harder-hitting mobs.

ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    Grimbeard said:

Fun yes !! Worth transferring probably not
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    One of the worst things that can happen will be someone figuring out how to dupe gold or use an exploit to get a lot of it. Lets hope that does not happen.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    Holumer said:
    What do you think you are going to be killing in NL to amass 30M?  Also remember the shard gets wiped every year.  If it is pre AoS what do you really need all that gold for?
  • CovenantX said:
    Grimbeard said:

And shield walls of Warriors cross healing each other with bandies. Like the good ol' BK Room, or Rott at Humility Shrine in Ilsh.
    Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?
  • Holumer said:
    What do you think you are going to be killing in NL to amass 30M?  Also remember the shard gets wiped every year.  If it is pre AoS what do you really need all that gold for?

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

B) 
  • Holumer said:

Everything An Avatar Should Know About Sex -

(this book is blank)...
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 392
    edited August 2023
    Holumer said:

ratman archers, and sell the arrows to an npc.  and buying anything from low priced npcs then selling to higher priced npcs.  not sure how this will work on the new server or if npc sales will even be possible (its not on siege), but its a easy way to make gold on a new shard / fresh character.  can make a good amount relatively fast.  

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
    Can I just ask, if anyone should ever find me with my clavicle bones shoved into my cleavage, please get me to a hospital? Thanks!
    Smoot said:
    Holumer said:

ratman archers, and sell the arrows to an npc.  and buying anything from low priced npcs then selling to higher priced npcs.  not sure how this will work on the new server or if npc sales will even be possible (its not on siege), but its a easy way to make gold on a new shard / fresh character.  can make a good amount relatively fast.  

First of all you aint making 30M doing that and where are ratman archers at in fel/tram.
    Smoot said:
    Holumer said:

First of all you aint making 30M doing that and where are ratman archers at in fel/tram.

Ice dungeon has rat archers but the spawn-rate is low, there's a hidden cave south of Destard (you double click a bed roll, or it may be 'fur') in one of the huts deep in the swamp.  -bet place to farm em, but it's dangerous to enter sometimes there are enough archers to insta-kill you close to the entrance.

if the 'Bag of Sending" or 'a giant beetle' to carry arrows/bolts would make it more efficient until people start getting high-end/expensive items to sell.

depending on the facets in NL (it sounds like it's just going to be tram & fel) but if they have do Ilsh, you could also farm centaurs or meer captains for arrows/bolts respectively as well.

ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited August 2023
    My understanding is 1 land mass tram (so we can have live trees LOL) with a PvP switch.  I am hoping pre Pub 16 (no PSs).  GM made Armor and Weps without a lot of high end armor that gets wiped every year, easy to replace items.
    My understanding is 1 land mass tram (so we can have live trees LOL) with a PvP switch.  I am hoping pre Pub 16 (no PSs).  GM made Armor and Weps without a lot of high end armor that gets wiped every year, easy to replace items.
    So nothing worth transferring to a production shard including characters 
    I think there will be a combination of old school like pre powerscrolls and a nerfed version of what we see today. Making it harder to build ultra suits. I think it would be cool to force people to build suits out of situation and necessity. I remember having low cold resist just to 70 the other resists and having to sacrifice certain things for the suit that fits my play style
    edited August 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    You transfer certain accomplishment items with your character.  Why even ask questions? You will hate it no matter what.

Maybe we can transfer a fur jacket to our home shard to hang on the wall.
  • I want a “I survived season XX on NL and all I got was this Doublet” to transfer, good enough for me. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Yes that type of thing, or a banner. Other multi-player games have banners. 

As for the economy. There are players who will try everything.  They will find whatever makes the most gold very quickly and do it over and over. There will be players who have max skills in a few days, who am I kidding, a few hours.

We will have novels written about those two topics.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    You transfer certain accomplishment items with your character.  Why even ask questions? You will hate it no matter what.

Maybe we can transfer a fur jacket to our home shard to hang on the wall.
    I could love it and still not approve of how much it has cost production shards already 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,950
    Smoot said:
    Holumer said:

If it will be possible to AFK script on New Legacy and use the various cheats and third party utilities which have plagued Ultima Online for such a long time, well, I guess that New Legacy gameplay, after all, won't be much different as it is in Ultima Online's traditional servers.... plagued with cheats, scripts, automated BOTs......