Help with 2 character concepts

I am wanting to try a couple of new characters.  One is a bard/tamer and the other is a new archer.

Bard/tamer build I am considering
Provocation 
Discord
Musicianship
Animal Taming
Veterinary
Animal Lore
Magery
Should I make them a gargoyle so that I can have a 5 slot pet and still run (or fly as the case may be)?  

Archer build I am considering
Archery
Anatomy
Tactics
Chivalry
Resisting Spells
Spirit Speak (for quick mana regen for special attacks)
Healing?
I was going to make them human for JOAT to cast wraithform.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  This is for PvM only.

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,174
    Corwyn said:
    I am wanting to try a couple of new characters.  One is a bard/tamer and the other is a new archer.

Provocation 
    Discord
    Musicianship
    Animal Taming
    Veterinary
    Animal Lore
    Magery
    Should I make them a gargoyle so that I can have a 5 slot pet and still run (or fly as the case may be)?  

Archery
    Anatomy
    Tactics
    Chivalry
    Resisting Spells
    Healing?

Both are viable templates. Only do garg on the tamer if you are cool not being at max luck (gargs get 1 less slot - I won't go into McDougle's Yukio earrings / luck mask rant). One other call out would be using Vet; if you are fighting something that does area damage, that will be tricky. That said, template is easy enough to fit all the skills. Make everything 120 except Magery. There are enough items you can equip to easily be +60 magery.

Archer is another viable template which i actually use myself except that I use a Garg thrower to save on arrows. You only need +20 necro which isn't too hard (you can find a +20 Necro jewel w/ 10SSI and 25 DI pretty easy. The only thing with this build (off the top of my head) is that you are going to be short of the 200 or 300 skill points in specified skills to get the reduced mana cost on special attacks. (https://www.uoguide.com/Special_Moves)
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 915
    edited April 2023
    120 taming and lore real skills

its essential these re real skills, because if you die, you can still control a good pet in your pants, so if you need to get away fast they can take you without your armour,  also you have less chance of it ignoring you, going wild etc......
    music 105, discord 105 (add +15 of each to a jewel) to get 120
    mage 100 plus Tome or +20 book if you want, but its not for fighting as you dont have support spells for mage,  but it can greater heal ,invis, cure  recall and gate etc.....
    Vet 70 real skill, plus another +15 on a jewel

I did have a garg for GD, but I Reverte done I got some good Cu's.  I am an elf, and if I get in trouble I can call the pet back. jump on a retreat 
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 787

its essential these re real skills, because if you die, you can still control a good pet in your pants, 

That's sound advice, I think.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
    As a NON-Elf Tamer don't you have to wear, what is it, Pads of the Cu just to own one so you lose another armor slot.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,117
    As a NON-Elf Tamer don't you have to wear, what is it, Pads of the Cu just to own one so you lose another armor slot.
    Most basic tamer/mage/weaver do not need boots fore stats. Your basically not using the Minax sandals if you need pads. You can equip luck when needed. Pads are only needed for taming or mounting a Cu. None of my main tamers are elf.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2023
    Pawain said:
    Most basic tamer/mage/weaver do not need boots fore stats. Your basically not using the Minax sandals if you need pads. You can equip luck when needed. Pads are only needed for taming or mounting a Cu. None of my main tamers are elf.
    Only Elves can tame a Cu.  Pads are needed to control Cus for human/gargs.  Humans/gargs can not tame a Cu even with pads on.
    From CAH
    Cu Sidhe's can only be tamed by an Elf
    Cu Sidhe's can only be ridden by an Elf, or a Human wearing Boots of the Cu Sidhe
    https://www.uo-cah.com/bestiary/Cu_Sidhe
    So it looks like you may be able to control them without the Pads
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,034

its essential these re real skills, because if you die, you can still control a good pet in your pants, so if you need to get away fast they can take you without your armour,  also you have less chance of it ignoring you, going wild etc......
    music 105, discord 105 (add +15 of each to a jewel) to get 120
    mage 100 plus Tome or +20 book if you want, but its not for fighting as you dont have support spells for mage,  but it can greater heal ,invis, cure  recall and gate etc.....
    Vet 70 real skill, plus another +15 on a jewel

I did have a garg for GD, but I Reverte done I got some good Cu's.  I am an elf, and if I get in trouble I can call the pet back. jump on a retreat 
    Pets no longer go wild 
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904

Corwyn said:

Provocation 
    Discord
    Musicianship
    Animal Taming
    Veterinary
    Animal Lore
    Magery

Archery
    Anatomy
    Tactics
    Chivalry
    Resisting Spells
    Healing?

the tamer is pretty  much exactly the same as what I use. (always an elf, because of Cu's - though i don't really use any Cu's) -hmm

2nd template a basic 'wammie' but you'd want to go with at least 40 necromancy, and use Curse Weapon to heal via damage done.  as well.   I tend to go with melee weapon skills though, archery/throwing isn't bad for single targets, or smaller groups of mobs.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited April 2023
    Pawain said:
    Only Elves can tame a Cu.  Pads are needed to control Cus for human/gargs.  Humans/gargs can not tame a Cu even with pads on.
    From CAH
    Cu Sidhe's can only be tamed by an Elf
    Cu Sidhe's can only be ridden by an Elf, or a Human wearing Boots of the Cu Sidhe
    https://www.uo-cah.com/bestiary/Cu_Sidhe
    So it looks like you may be able to control them without the Pads
    Yes sorry I did not mean tame.  I have never Tamed a Cu in UO.  
    The only way I'll have a Blaze is if someone gives it to me.
    Meant to say Elves are the only ones that can tame them. 

Yes you can control a Cu without pads. You just need them to mount. 
    Pawain said:

@CovenantX - Since the other thread was closed, I figured I'd show you here. I think this is another example of something that he's posted wrong if you want to start collecting the incorrect things posted.

>:)
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,034
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

@ CovenantX - Since the other thread was closed, I figured I'd show you here. I think this is another example of something that he's posted wrong if you want to start collecting the incorrect things posted.

Any character not using luck suit has changed to new boots 
    edited April 2023
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

@ CovenantX - Since the other thread was closed, I figured I'd show you here. I think this is another example of something that he's posted wrong if you want to start collecting the incorrect things posted.

I already admitted I meant to say only elves can tame.  And yall should know not to reply to my post quick, I go back and re read and change or add stuff when I see it is needed.  :D  I need more than the hour sometimes.  I made 5 changes to the last post I made to Mervyn.
    Pawain said:
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

I already admitted I meant to say only elves can tame.  And yall should know not to reply to my post quick, I go back and re read and change or add stuff when I see it is needed.  :D  I need more than the hour sometimes.  I made 5 changes to the last post I made to Mervyn.
    But they do not want to show that as it does not fit their narrative.  We both posted corrections to our original post but at least we know better.
    Grimbeard said:
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

Any character not using luck suit has changed to new boots 
    You have the new boots. luck foot wear, HCI and DCI footwear so footwear is becoming a part of the armor set. 
    Pawain said:
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

But they do not want to show that as it does not fit their narrative.  We both posted corrections to our original post but at least we know better.
     Mistakes happen but there is one person here that thinks they never make mistakes. I wasn't talking about you.

Point is, this particular person thinks/acts like they know everything when in fact they really only know a very specific subset of things and that becomes problematic when he's giving out false information because he seemingly just posts things for the sake of getting his post count +1. He admittedly doesn't have a single elf tamer so why speak about it?

He also just tried to act like he never posts anything incorrect like 8 hours before making that mistake, which is very funny. This is just a case where he needs a little humblepie from time to time... which I guess is tough because he's usually full from those Mesanna cream pies which he has stock piled.

Back to the thread topic though. @Corwyn - There is a quest in game that you can change to and from an elf/human so pick whichever you like and if you dislike it then do the quest to change over (quest doesn't take too long). Personally I like the elf for the +20 mana and the default nightsight.
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    Corwyn said:

Provocation 
    Discord
    Musicianship
    Animal Taming
    Veterinary
    Animal Lore
    Magery

Archery
    Anatomy
    Tactics
    Chivalry
    Resisting Spells
    Healing?

Tamer: if you do not want to ride your tames then yes go garg. I have a garg tamer and an elf tamer, lately I have been playing the elf more but that will change at some point.

Archer: fairly standard template.  Healing?  You are at range so chiv heal will be ok.