Too much luck

I'm currently at 3115 on my archer and find way to much cursed and 50 stone brittle etc items almost as if being to high increases the intensity in a flawed way 
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited August 2022
    McDougle said:
    I'm currently at 3115 on my archer and find way to much cursed and 50 stone brittle etc items almost as if being to high increases the intensity in a flawed way 
    This is why I would like a "GiveLuck" command for the Test Server... so that, finally, players could Test if and what it is, that is wrong with the way that Luck is coded in UO...

I have heard it way from too many other players that certain Luck seems to work BUT, if one execeeds a given threshold of Luck, then it backfires and gives worse loot rather then better one... go figure...

And what seems to be worse, is that the "magic Luck number" seems not to be the same for any and all spawns and kills but, to vary.... so what Luck number works for one spawn, it does not for another.... yes, I know it sounds absurd and anti-fun but that is what I have heard players over time, to report about their in-game experience with Luck....

I REALLY think that the entire coding of Luck in Ultima Online should be looked at, seriously, and finally have 1 and 1 only for for Luck that WORKS and FUNCTIONS for any and all spawns the same...

@Kyronix , could we PLEASE get Luck in Ultima Online be finally straightened out ? Thanks !
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    You can already build suits of different luck amounts 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "if you're saying it is broken, the onus is in you to prove it so, i think it's working fine"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "if you're saying it is broken, the onus is in you to prove it so, i think it's working fine"
    I was asking for other opinions and clearly spellbook staps do not work as intended yet some argue it's not a bug ...
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    There are many threads on in game luck stat.

The gist is that having max luck will not guarantee best quality loot. Luck will "potentially" impact the number of # of items/properties/intensities/level (ie major artifact vs Great Magic item)/etc. 

If you have around 4k luck (I wanna say it's like 3979) you will have a 100% chance that SOMETHING will happen; note this will rely on the monster loot table. That something could be an increase mod of some items / extra item added as loot / or increased intensity. When it comes to increased intensity, it works much like reforging. You can check every single option and you will get a "better item" but at the cost of it being brittle and un-repairable. Same thing applies to loot. Your luck bumps up the item intensity and while before it would have been regular item; now it is cursed or heavy or brittle (keep in mind brittle IS a negative property but people just don't care because it's still very usable).

It's always been theorized that there is a sweet spot for luck (1000-2000 if I recall). There is obviously a pretty calculated formula out there of what the exact luck is and what to kill because you can go to a vendor on ATL and see literally 3-5 of the same type of jewel (ie clean 10SSI 35DI 15HCI). Those type of things sell for large sums of money so these people aren't going to make it public knowledge what it is. It's up to you to figure out the recipe to the secret sauce (always has).
    I understand that the intensity creates cursed etc i just feel that 
    A.the amount of negative properties is a bit high 
    And
    B. There should be a way to remove said negatives via crafting preferably but using a UO store item would be acceptable 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    keven2002 said:

It's always been theorized that there is a sweet spot for luck (1000-2000 if I recall). There is obviously a pretty calculated formula out there of what the exact luck is and what to kill

It's up to you to figure out the recipe to the secret sauce (always has).

I've had the impression that luck scales depending on mob for some years now. I've also had the impression that luck has been broken since introduction as well. 

But we'll never truly know will we.
    “Loot tables are a very strange thing, there’s not a lot of info about how they work as far as I know,
    we did 2 harrowers yesterday and it was strange that 90% of the loot was cursed.
    I regularly do underwater boss and almost never get cursed items. 
    I must’ve seen over 1000 legendary shields from underwater but none come with reactive para.

would be interesting if there was more info on the loot tables”

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Urge said:
    keven2002 said:

It's always been theorized that there is a sweet spot for luck (1000-2000 if I recall). There is obviously a pretty calculated formula out there of what the exact luck is and what to kill

I've had the impression that luck scales depending on mob for some years now. I've also had the impression that luck has been broken since introduction as well. 

Yes it is very hard to test luck with consistency because of the RNG when getting items on corpses mixed with the large amount of possible items ( X armor + X weapons for a land). Loot tables are what would be key to knowing what to kill to get a desired item (ie killing fan dancers will get a desired item (bokuto) that can be clean with only 2 or 3 properties with one being splinter AND those mods can be near max weight).
    edited August 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Urge said:
    keven2002 said:

Yes it is very hard to test luck with consistency because of the RNG when getting items on corpses mixed with the large amount of possible items ( X armor + X weapons for a land). Loot tables are what would be key to knowing what to kill to get a desired item (ie killing fan dancers will get a desired item (bokuto) that can be clean with only 2 or 3 properties with one being splinter AND those mods can be near max weight).
    Fan dancers were what I've been killing and at 3100 luck waaaaaay to many cursed items 
    I also don't quite understand why a fame level 4 fan dancer would be more likely to drop a bok than a hyiru also level 4 fame
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I usually just have my Minax Sandals and Yukio Earrings on. I decided to use my luck suit when we did Scalis last. 

With the statue I am at 3460

With just the statue I am at 1175.

I find I get less Cursed items and more items with higher/better properties WITHOUT the luck suit.

I have done this with Underwater boss as well. I think anything over 3000 is too much, there is a sweet spot around 2000ish or just under I think.

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    I have tried no luck / 2000 luck and 2800 luck on plants crossing and wheel barrow plants and I seem to get better results with 2000-1500 could just be rng 
    I was trying to figure out if luck plays a part on the plants. Still nothing conclusive   I’ve asked before if luck helps crossing plants for black and white no one seems to know. Same with gift tokens no one knows.   
    "luck is said to increase the intensity of properties and the number of properties, it is an unknown factor if this includes negative properties"
  • Usually get 2 to 5 rare hued plants when harvesting 115 wheelbarrow plants with old characters wearing luck from 150 to 1950. Tried a newer mage trainee with 150 luck Minax sandals and got a new record 11 rare hued plants this week.
    I think some of  my old chars have negative luck. Have never gotten an Orny, Scholar's Halo, midnight bracers, AoF, or HoM, but did get two of the new recipes from the Dark Fathers. Frequent trips to Shadowguard and Cameos are once a year at most. The mage mystic weaver does get Hawkwind's Robe or Minax sandals about one every 20 trips with 1950 luck. The loot from roof bosses is frequently overloaded with cursed, antique, non artifact, fortified; and rarely do I get 1/3 or 1/4 fc/fcr, 18 sdi, or clean loot. Most jewelry is antique hybrid of warrior and mage attributes that neither class wants. Vehement cursing ensues when a piece of jewelry I could actually use is cursed!
    When you combine the magical mystery of luck with cartography glasses it gets maddening so i wear the cart glasses when I start digging when is it ok to change when i can see chest or after monsters spawn 
    McDougle said:
    When you combine the magical mystery of luck with cartography glasses it gets maddening so i wear the cart glasses when I start digging when is it ok to change when i can see chest or after monsters spawn 

"i think kyronix said before, that luck is factored when the chest is doug up"
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So when is the cart bonus applied and what exactly does it affect? And why would cartography be the only skill that works like this..
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    McDougle said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So when is the cart bonus applied and what exactly does it affect? And why would cartography be the only skill that works like this..
    It replaced Mining.  You can hit the chest further away plus it helps with a higher grade chest.  So obviously it applies when you dig, which spawns the chest.  The stuff in the chest is created when it spawns.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

It replaced Mining.  You can hit the chest further away plus it helps with a higher grade chest.  So obviously it applies when you dig, which spawns the chest.  The stuff in the chest is created when it spawns.
    So after first dig change back to luck ? 
    edited August 2022
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

Once you see the chest start appearing, its done.

I dont know how you could prove this because you can get gold chests with 0 luck sometimes.  RNG is also involved.

Get some Tmaps copy to TC. Do them on a live shard with the same items on all. Then go to TC and do the same things and see how RNG is involved.  Then you can try adding Luck.
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

I dont know how you could prove this because you can get gold chests with 0 luck sometimes.  RNG is also involved.

Get some Tmaps copy to TC. Do them on a live shard with the same items on all. Then go to TC and do the same things and see how RNG is involved.  Then you can try adding Luck.
    So keep guessing because expecting a straight forward answer out of the question?
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So keep guessing because expecting a straight forward answer out of the question?
    Its called testing,  How do you think we found out the ins and outs of the Taming Revamp.

This is not Monopoly, it is a game where 100s of things can happen in a specific encounter.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    McDougle said:

I think the luck vs reward is not on a linear scale but is a diminishing return - either r or s curve.  

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    McDougle said:

I think the luck vs reward is not on a linear scale but is a diminishing return - either r or s curve.  

In my head the formula should be luck xx =xxx% items of xxx intensity and that xx % is negative mods 
    edited August 2022
    After UO is long gone I’m sure the person that knows will inform us 
  • Skett said:
    you forgot to carry the integer in the 86th quadrant
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
     :D