Castles and Keeps

I'm curious why can't we just have custom Castles and Keeps on the production shards? I mean we can have smaller customized homes. Clearly, it's doable. Why must we have a contest to pick new designs which may or may not fulfill our vision. And if we desire to build something with a few changes our only hope is to build it during the contest period and hope that it gathers enough support to be selected, Instead, why not just allows us to design what we want on production shards?

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I asked the same thing on the other forum. Someone said because the Devs don't want big ugly clunky structures with a ton of structure that would lag up anyone who walks by. I'm not sure if that's really the reason given how few and far between keeps and castles are but who knows.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    if you have tried to customize one on TC you would see how wonky it is.
    you can place tiles in the design and add walls.
    then you can't change it to something else & you can't erase it.
    to fix it, you have to log out and then get back in.
    And if that doesn't fix it, then you have to close the client & start again.

I started one on the 2nd day, after I discovered the contest
    And got frustrated with it, because of how many times I had to restart.
    I haven't been back on there yet, to see if CC is still having those issues.

I do know that, just because it looks ok in one client
    make sure to check the other client, before entering the contest
    once you enter the contest, any changes won't be saved.

=============

If you take a look at all entries when the contest starts
    you can clearly see why they don't want us to customize our own.
    I believe there is a video on stratics from the very first contest

NOTE: everyone has their own idea what makes a great castle
    but not all are pleasant looking.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    I did play around with the customization on test - was my first time trying customization, but I didn't have any trouble erasing things. Didn't realize that was a known issue. I may play with it some more but really don't understand the logic of not allowing castle and keep designs because other people might not like it, but it's alright to have 18x18's which you might not like. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Riner said:
    I did play around with the customization on test - was my first time trying customization, but I didn't have any trouble erasing things. Didn't realize that was a known issue. I may play with it some more but really don't understand the logic of not allowing castle and keep designs because other people might not like it, but it's alright to have 18x18's which you might not like. 
    Same reason jewelry boxes don't have search function...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    They do with pinco's UI! 
  • DryzzidDryzzid Posts: 80

=============

What client are you using? I'm not doubting you, but I've had no issues designing in classic client.
    Mayor of North Harbor Township, Atlantic Shard
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Dryzzid said:

=============

What client are you using? I'm not doubting you, but I've had no issues designing in classic client.
    I started this time in EC & after I lost connection once
    I switched to CC. probably had the issues,  because lot of people were on at the same time.

• The Enhanced Client has had issues with house design for years. I do all house customization and house decorating in Classic.

House customizing because in EC, things stick. So you're placing a few wall tiles, but then move your mouse and all of a sudden you have a dozen or more randomly placed tiles along the path of your cursor. Deleting tiles in EC can cause a serious lag spike, same with staircases. (And the staircases many times have be deleted tile by tile, not as one whole piece.)

House decorating because of that nasty bug that makes it nearly impossible to place something on upper floors because apparently your client wants to target items and containers on lower floors. (Have had a few mini-strokes because I was trying to place something and it "disappeared" only to be found in a container on a floor or two below.)
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • Because Borg-Cubes? That's it. Nothing more, or else.

And completely understandable.

(BTW: EC is sh**)
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
  • You are entitled to feel that way.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • Funny how a large percentage of threads devolve into an EC/CC debate. IBTL
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I may be misremembering but I seem to think the reason given was lag.  A full castle with a full complement of bod vendors causes lag to some players. (I believe some players will confirm this?) A castle of this kind where every piece of wall and floor also counted would cause worse lag. An area such as that around Compassion junction where castles and keeps are pretty much wall to wall would, potentially, be unpassable without some players experiencing systems crashing.
    I may be mistaken, but that is my understanding.
    Client used is irrelevant, so please let's leave those personal choices out of this thread.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited January 2022
    I think you are correct @Mariah and I could be wrong here but that issue was a while ago before they introduced the option to not load public houses etc AND back when computers/connections that could handle them were hit or miss. Given the progression of technology most people have a computer/connection able to handle them as long as you aren't connecting to a server over seas from you. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    I have 76 BOD Vendors plus lots of locked down items and None of my accounts lag when I am near it.
  • <wonders how much players would pay for the right to customize their castles> 

I know I'd pay a pretty penny. And that would also provide some barrier/limit to having people just all customize them...
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited February 2022
    Riner said:
    I'm curious why can't we just have custom Castles and Keeps on the production shards? I mean we can have smaller customized homes. Clearly, it's doable. Why must we have a contest to pick new designs which may or may not fulfill our vision. And if we desire to build something with a few changes our only hope is to build it during the contest period and hope that it gathers enough support to be selected, Instead, why not just allows us to design what we want on production shards?
    Because you're in Mesanna's sandbox so nothing makes sense; no rhyme or reason. You think this is a democracy?!? We get nothing we want and everything no one asked for. 
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • The bottom line is if you want a customizable castle or keep, you are going to have to pay a pretty penny. Putting a barrier is the only way to make it work.
  • The bottom line is if you want a customizable castle or keep, you are going to have to pay a pretty penny. Putting a barrier is the only way to make it work.
    Puppy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Anywho, I'd totally buy customizable keep and castle plot.
    LilyGrace said:
    Puppy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
    Love the puppy, looks evil
    Some off topic posts have been removed.
    Mariah said:
    Some off topic posts have been removed.
    Are puppy pictures no longer off topic 
    yes, but he's cute.
  • BardrisCaller1BardrisCaller1 Posts: 64
    edited February 2022
    Mariah said:
    yes, but he's cute.

So you'll remove the post of me defending myself but not the off topic post of the person I responded to. I guess I will quit posting on this forum. 22 years of playing this game and this is the crap still going on. That's BS @Mariah. No wonder the game is dying. There is a good ole boys club in the main space to talk to each other. If you're not in with the mods you get trolled and your posts get deleted when you defend yourself.
    @Mariah is the most lenient 
    edited February 2022
    a
    Sometimes if you Express unpopular opinions you are labeled a troll or malcontent ...