Starting a New Career: Fisher - Any Advices?

IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
edited December 2021 in General Discussions
Hi all!

For once in my UO life I'm seriously considering to - *GASP* :D - work for a living, so I've decided to try my paws at Fishing

Any kind advice about how to better go at it would be very appreciate! <3

So, what about the best:

Race - Are Gargs OK? Don't they frighten away the little fishes "fanning" around the ship deck?;
Skills Template - Beside Fishing - to this I'm able to arrive by myself... B) ;) - what other skills are needed/useful for a productive fishing life?;
Personal Equipment - What kind of Suit/Armor is better... suited to catch the Bounty of the (insert Britannia number of) Seas?;
Ship - A whispering moongbat tells me that an Orc Ship is the best option... if one can stomach the stink left by the previous owners...;
Ship Armament - The same MB tell me that going out in the deep Blue Horizon (apologies Jeff B., and, please, don't sue me!!! :'( B) :D) whitout a "Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" kind of ship is REALLY unwise!
Where, When and How to fish, to provide Britannia with its needed daily Omega3 font (and me with plenty of GPs for my coffers!) in the most efficient way? 
General Tips & Tricks
Where to buy a fishable Water Tile... ehr, no, the moongbat is telling me that this is REALLY a no-no, heavily frowned upon by TPTB. Pity... :'( :D

TIA to all!  :)

Cheers
Ivenor

Comments

  • SethSeth Posts: 2,407
    Yay... finally a career in fishing :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
    Seth said:
    Yay... finally a career in fishing :D
    Better late than never... :D ;)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,140Moderator
    Any character with a ranged attack - so any form of casting char, archer or bladeweaver to reach those nastys that you might fish up with a fishing net

    Orc ships are nice, but while training bear in mind that a Tokuno ship gives a slight bonus. There is a fisher's suit from Clean up, but not everyone thinks it is worth the investment.
    Here are the relevant wiki pages:





  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
    Mariah said:
    Any character with a ranged attack - so any form of casting char, archer or bladeweaver to reach those nastys that you might fish up with a fishing net

    Orc ships are nice, but while training bear in mind that a Tokuno ship gives a slight bonus. There is a fisher's suit from Clean up, but not everyone thinks it is worth the investment.
    Here are the relevant wiki pages:
    Thanks! :)

    I.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 712
    edited December 2021
    I have a gargoyle fisher who also has cooking so I can make those magical fish pies. They are also a mage so I can kill stuff like random creatures, pirate ships, and plunder beacons. Make/buy a fishing pole with spell channeling if you use magery. You could also make/buy one with luck. 

    Do the fishmonger quests to try to get a 120 power scroll (seems to take eternity). You can get special hooks in the process. Use junk proof hooks with special fish bait if you have them. Use a fisherman’s suit when using bait for a bonus in bait strength. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,215
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Yarrrrrrrrrr
    I be a pirate i means Fisherman 
    Taming 
    Lore 
    Vet 
    Fishing 
    Magery 
    Resisting 
    I's also have duns all da dungeons able to get drops wit me build i cans do roof or dooms as well 
    Welcome to da Biz !!
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 1,579
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”

    :D :) ;)
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,215
    Ivenor said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”

    :D :) ;)
    Goats eat footwear and are very important 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • AenvarAenvar Posts: 38
    Grimbeard said:
    Taming 
    Lore 
    Vet 
    Fishing 
    Magery 
    Resisting 

    I run exactly the same spec, and confirm it works wonderfully. In fact, it's my favorite character!
  • MerusMerus Posts: 518
    For fishing you can use virtually any template you want that can fit in the skill points.  I use a bard.  The tactic is a fully skilled (not leveled) vollem set to guard you.  They will kill anything you can fish up.  Obviously for net tosses you might want some more advanced combat skills, but that is what I do just for fishing.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
    McDougle said:
    Ivenor said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    You're gonna want a Britannia ship and lots of commodity deeds some of the new fish satchels.....
    “and a pet goat”

    :D :) ;)
    Goats eat footwear and are very important 

    Yes, I know that... :)
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 1,167
    Archer or Thrower has plenty of room for a 120 Fisher.  Personally I use an Archer with a https://www.uoguide.com/The_Horselord
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 356
    edited December 2021
    Merus said:
    For fishing you can use virtually any template you want that can fit in the skill points.  I use a bard.  The tactic is a fully skilled (not leveled) vollem set to guard you.  They will kill anything you can fish up.  Obviously for net tosses you might want some more advanced combat skills, but that is what I do just for fishing.

    Was about to mention that. You actually can use a Vollem that's been slot leveled once, so long as it's "Taming Required" doesn't exceed 30.0. My Fishers use a Vollem that's been leveled once.

    Kills virtually anything they encounter while fishing the ocean, even Krakens. When fishing in a dungeon, i'll use that Vollem to guard me and a 1 slot Giant Beetle to carry my fish. My Prospector (Mining+LJ+Fishing) on Atlantic uses a pre-patch Vollem leveled to 3 slots with a similar build (just less Base Damage), so that he can use Vollem+Fire Beetle+Giant Beetle at same time. Fun watching my Vollem tear apart Water Eles, Wyverns and Drakes as i fish inside Destard. The Fishermen's Bushel is useful for reducing the Fish Weight in the Giant Beetle.

    The Tokuno Ship actually has the most cargo weight allowance of any of the regular Galleons, 16,000 Stones. Only the massive Britannia Ship has more, with 28,000 Stones.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2021
    Thanks to all for the replies and the advises! :)

    I'm particularly intrigued by the suggestion to use Vollems as Fishing companions (always loved that little critters! <3).

    Two Questions:

    1. Why the Vollems? For the low Taming ability needed to use them?
    2. What does it mean "a fully skilled (not leveled) Vollem"?
    3. Don't they risk to rust/corrode in the Sea?

    Cheers
    Ivenor 


    (Ok the last one is NOT a real question... ;)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,140Moderator
    1. yes
    2. 100 in every skill, but not taken through the new animal training
    3. From a crystal, not tinker made.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,089
    Mariah said:
    1. yes
    2. 100 in every skill, but not taken through the new animal training
    3. From a crystal, not tinker made.
    Thanks! :)
  • BenBen Posts: 140
    edited July 9
    I can actually say I GM'd Fishing just standing around doing it, and at the end, mostly off the docks of Magincia. I do not have any adice to give, except to say I am glad for it all. You will be, too.
Sign In or Register to comment.