Are Tinkered Pets Worth Making and Using?

The title is self-explanatory.  I believe these pets can only be healed via use of the tinkering skill and that there is a 45-second delay between each heal.   (The official wiki entry says: "They can be repaired via tinkering skill, this will take a small amount of time, dependent upon your dexterity, and ingots are consumed in the process. Hit points repaired is calculated based on Tinkering skill ranging from a max of 12 at low skill to a max of 60 at GM with additional bonuses for pets with over 100 hit points." )

Does anyone have much experience using these and what can you really hunt with them, given the constraints on healing them and the fact that they don't bond, other than the Kotl Automatons?

Comments

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I didn't give it a truly fair chance, but haven't been a fan of tinkered pets from the onset. The devs are so afraid someone is going to become overpowered that they cripple things from birth.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    I didn't give it a truly fair chance, but haven't been a fan of tinkered pets from the onset. The devs are so afraid someone is going to become overpowered that they cripple things from birth.
    Have you experimented with the Kotl automaton yet and what did you think of it, since it was a bonded pet?
  • PooPoo Posts: 41
    actually i can speak to this.
    i was playing with a golem last week while training up macing (ya, im that old)
    so they reduced the healing timer for tinker healing from 45 seconds down to like 6 or 8 which is great, you can actually do some healing.
    but at the same time that is still way too long to save your mechanical critter.
    tamers get 2 seconds, why cant tinkers?

also, for me, not being able to bond mechanical makes them worthless to me.
    there will always be a time when things get out of control and your pet will die no matter what you do.
    what is the use of training up a mechanical when it will eventually die and you will lose it.

granted, flip side of the coin.... they did put in the table so you can make a fully trained golem every time right out of the game AND they did put in the Kotl Autodudes that do bond to you.

but i wont use a wolf/vollum/golem strictly because they cant be bonded.

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    @Poo, does having dex on your tinker make any difference with regard to healing the tinkered pets?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,097
    Margrette said:
    Have you experimented with the Kotl automaton yet and what did you think of it, since it was a bonded pet?

Those work great as a way to kill Arctic Ogre Lords to get Lord or Lady on Your Tinker.  I wouldn't try anything more difficult.

Compared to the other choices for a tinker, that is a huge upgrade.

If you can discord the Ogre or something higher it works even better.

Dex does not repair faster.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    :o  Hmm @Pawain, you mean like Cord Gadget the Discord Tinker?

120: Magery, Eval Int
    120: Musicianship, Discordance
    100: Tinkering, Anatomy
     40: Focus or Hiding or <whatever>

... just off the top of my head based on your comment. If Arms Lore has an effect on crafting, controlling, or taming (?) the Kotl, you could substitute Arms Lore for Anatomy at the cost of limiting personal defense.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 270

Kotl's are worthless now. I've used them since they came out, crafted well over 100, & still have 6 bonded in the stable. The stable is where they will stay.

Unless your a crafter looking for a Lord title, tinkered pets aren't worth squat anymore. They die incredibly fast, can not be trained(newest training process), & the reduction in all PvP pet damage sealed the deal.

Look for an alternative.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Margrette said:

I have not...
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Rock said:
    :o  Hmm @ Pawain, you mean like Cord Gadget the Discord Tinker?

120: Magery, Eval Int
    120: Musicianship, Discordance
    100: Tinkering, Anatomy
     40: Focus or Hiding or <whatever>

... just off the top of my head based on your comment. If Arms Lore has an effect on crafting, controlling, or taming (?) the Kotl, you could substitute Arms Lore for Anatomy at the cost of limiting personal defense.
    Arms Lore does not make tinkering better. Nor controlling or repairing.  Neat Tinker you have.
    Acid_Rain said:

Kotl's are worthless now. I've used them since they came out, crafted well over 100, & still have 6 bonded in the stable. The stable is where they will stay.

Unless your a crafter looking for a Lord title, tinkered pets aren't worth squat anymore. They die incredibly fast, can not be trained(newest training process), & the reduction in all PvP pet damage sealed the deal.

Look for an alternative.

As opposed to when?  Golems couldn't kill anything useful.  The other tinkered pets cant kill anything.  I never knew a time they were useful for anything but a Title.

I still have not made the Blackrock one yet.  Are those any better than the Kotl ones?  There is nothing I need from the Tinkering BODs and I have a few Max Utensil ones to turn in.