wildfire ???

124»

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,245
    edited June 2021
    Kyronix said:
    Comments like this have no place here, whether in jest or otherwise.  Happy to have an exchange but essentially advocating violence against me, I'm sure we can find a better way to communicate feedback.  

That being said - the problem with equipment lasting forever is that it breaks one of the fundamental gameplay loops within the game world.  By equipment functionally lasting forever, there is no need to replace it, hence there is no aspiration to acquire more and engage in further game play.  This results in a scenario where we have to release increasingly more powerful (desirable) equipment to replace existing equipment in order to keep the loop progressing.  This is how we end up with power creep, and encounters that become increasingly difficult.  

If the equipment isn't worth collecting from your perspective that's understandable.  Hopefully you'll find one of the other items appealing.

Ouch, call that one lost in translation!

I forget your culture, you have an issue with that comment, for us in the UK, that is a throwaway line. :(   Apologies there, did not realise.

I sort of disagree with the rest of your premise though.

In this game, we collect sets of stuff, we have multiple characters, we have multiple accounts, we play multiple shards, we need different items for different tasks. There are also multiple ways for items to drop out of the game, we collect so much, we bin it, unravel in use it for clean-up points, players leave the game and houses go IDOC.

It is not a case of we find 1 weapon, and that is it.

To use Stygian Abyss artefacts as an example, they are all fully repairable etc, are they causing issues? Or for example - Blackthorn Kryss from clean-up points?

I do get your point, it can happen, but actually, the chances are pretty slim in UO these days.

Thank you for answering anyway. :)

Edit - in the case of those weapons - it really is a case of why put them out in that format - it is expressly the Antique property that will put absolutely everyone off. Whereas without Antique, they could be usable.

• Kyronix said:
    Cookie said:
    Kyronix said:
    keven2002 said:
    @ Kyronix - Is there any reason behind the weapons being antique? Especially when it comes to the soul glaive; it's a 100% fire / fire area weap that won't have huge impacts in fire dungeon (maybe if it were cold instead) but could have some use... that said it being antique pretty much makes it a waste of a pick.
    So they do not last forever.  

You sound exactly like my good friend Teclo.

I could shoot him as well. :)

Comments like this have no place here, whether in jest or otherwise.  Happy to have an exchange but essentially advocating violence against me, I'm sure we can find a better way to communicate feedback.  

That being said - the problem with equipment lasting forever is that it breaks one of the fundamental gameplay loops within the game world.  By equipment functionally lasting forever, there is no need to replace it, hence there is no aspiration to acquire more and engage in further game play.  This results in a scenario where we have to release increasingly more powerful (desirable) equipment to replace existing equipment in order to keep the loop progressing.  This is how we end up with power creep, and encounters that become increasingly difficult.  

If the equipment isn't worth collecting from your perspective that's understandable.  Hopefully you'll find one of the other items appealing.

Interesting insight into the issue although i think that the problem still exists regardless of the need to replace it. Aspiration of grinding towards an item is lowered knowing it won't last forever and also the desire to replace it over a lower powered longer lasting item declines.

Personally antique items are my most hated aspect of the game, the constant need to be repaired and the essentially added cost per use variable, makes me value 5 mod imbued or clean legendary jewels a lot more and resigning all my antique uber legendary jewels to chests in my house. In saying that, PvP is almost non-existent on my home shard similar to the use of anything antique.
    Interesting insight into the issue although i think that the problem still exists regardless of the need to replace it. Aspiration of grinding towards an item is lowered knowing it won't last forever and also the desire to replace it over a lower powered longer lasting item declines.

Personally antique items are my most hated aspect of the game, the constant need to be repaired and the essentially added cost per use variable, makes me value 5 mod imbued or clean legendary jewels a lot more and resigning all my antique uber legendary jewels to chests in my house. In saying that, PvP is almost non-existent on my home shard similar to the use of anything antique.

100% agree.

With/Without these Negative properties - the wish for power creep will still exist, and does.

And, also amongst my most hated aspects of the game.

Sometimes, you have to look at it from a players perspective.

Adding negatives into a game, is just not fun. It wastes my time, and stops me actually playing the game.

• RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 90
    Guys, not every item is gonna be amazing. Some people will want to collect every item available, others only want deco. Don't like that? Then there is plenty of OP stuff to grind. Earrings with 10 HCI, Bane Ostards, 200 luck mask. I'll take it.
    Guys, not every item is gonna be amazing. Some people will want to collect every item available, others only want deco. Don't like that? Then there is plenty of OP stuff to grind. Earrings with 10 HCI, Bane Ostards, 200 luck mask. I'll take it.

It isn't that it isn't amazing.

It's actually pretty much unusable for most gamers.

These are equipment weapon items, they are meant to have a purpose.

The fact they are not amazing, is not even an issue, at that point you can say "take it or leave it" for sure.

But you cannot put something that is meant to be usable, out as unusable, and say "take it or leave it".

• RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 90
    I consider deco unusable but I don't riot every time they add more deco to the game. 

Deco has a separate purpose :)

And quite often, if people don't like the art - the purpose it is there for, people do mention it.

And I am not rioting, I am giving feedback - that probably 95% of the players are thinking, to try and help the Devs put an item out that would be more appreciated.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited June 2021
    In everyday hunting, we normally leave antique weapons on the corpse (will not even take a look at the specs). Weapons need to be at least brittle to be worth a second look. It is easy to see why by thinking as a player...

The special case is Splintering weapon, where even brittle is considered not quite useful because as you know, splintering drops the durability fast. It is not hard to find a better splintering bokuto than the reward bukuto, but they are at least brittle. Even so, brittle bokuto are not as great... unless you can give this:

Splintering 30%
    HLD 70%
    Hit Lightning 70%
    Spell Channeling (edit)
    FC 0 (i.e. no FC -1)

Then perhaps... its "Ok" to be brittle, for the few months or weeks of glory before its completely worn out...  :D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Has anyone actually had a piece of equipment completely destroyed on them?? My suits antique or not have lasted years...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    Kyronix said:
    Cookie said:
    Kyronix said:
    keven2002 said:
    @ Kyronix - Is there any reason behind the weapons being antique? Especially when it comes to the soul glaive; it's a 100% fire / fire area weap that won't have huge impacts in fire dungeon (maybe if it were cold instead) but could have some use... that said it being antique pretty much makes it a waste of a pick.
    So they do not last forever.  

You sound exactly like my good friend Teclo.

I could shoot him as well. :)

I would love if you will give me possibility to farm stuff from long-gone events, but Antique one. So non-top players before being able to afford SSI epps or fortune mempo  can go , kill something with chance to get that thing, but not lasting forever. To try it on your suit and to understand how much you need it. 
    Give that item random slayer (like Tundra bow / Soul Glaive or Cameo) and people will farm them constantly. Make it imbuable with some room for a lesser slayer (at least) and it will not last forever. Or already with useless lesser slayer but reimbuable. Troll or water elemental slayer will work perfectly.  
    Also those items from events can have lower properties. First Aid Belt was event item. One per account. Give me same blessed bandages container -  it will make every my tamer happy. No bonuses, just like elven quiver. Or receipe for it.  Need healing bonus- go buy it or use  belt  you got one per account. 
    Antique soul glaive is total no-go. Good as deco only. 
    edited June 2021
    McDougle said:
    Has anyone actually had a piece of equipment completely destroyed on them?? My suits antique or not have lasted years...

Yes, I have seen them on some players. For antique, I normally switched them out for Prized or Brittle when I can find a better one. They drop so fast that we find necessary to look for better replacement that are not antique. The only exception is maybe vvv items... well they are almost free. If these WildFire antique rewards are transferred to vvv rewards, I might not even waste my points to get them lol.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,059
    McDougle said:
    Suit of armor will last longer than a weapon that's being swung every at 1.25s for PVM. 

While I agree things shouldn't last forever, I think that antique is having the pendulum swing too far the other direction (especially on a weapon) for 75 points. I think that the soul glaive is the one piece showing love to Gargs and it's antique and costly. I think there needs to be a bit more compromise on this item.... either it should be the same price as other weaps (25 points) or it should be made brittle (Durb 150/150). 
  • RoxoRoxo Posts: 32
    Cookie said:

It isn't that it isn't amazing.

It's actually pretty much unusable for most gamers.

These are equipment weapon items, they are meant to have a purpose.

The fact they are not amazing, is not even an issue, at that point you can say "take it or leave it" for sure.

But you cannot put something that is meant to be usable, out as unusable, and say "take it or leave it".

I see it as usable from the perspective of a new player. It is rather easy to obtain because it doesn’t require many turn in points. I can then use this cheap weapon with decent stats to obtain a similar, or better, weapon that will be more permanent. 
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    McDougle said:
    If you just stay in Luna talking- it will last forever. If it is in the chest at home it will last till you house go IDOC. If you put it on - it goes to 0 and starting durability loss with message in screen right when you need to stay in that dungeon. 
    So you will not build your suit around that powerfull thing if it is antique.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,911
    McDougle said:
    Have to agree with Gwen.  I have to repair my weapons and armor very often in these dungeons.

What is your SDI earrings at?  Mine are on my main toon.  Mage tamer that tries not to get hit and I have not been playing him as much as usual. His earrings are at 165.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited June 2021
    @Kyronix ; There is a bug with Antique items they do not allow PoF to the 3 levels they should.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/55909

It would be different if they worked as intended.

But, even if they worked as intended, I would not use an antique weapon or armor on a Melee toon.  Wear out too fast.

Also if you want to make disposable items they should cost a disposable price.
    edited June 2021
    Roxo said:
    I see it as usable from the perspective of a new player. It is rather easy to obtain because it doesn’t require many turn in points. I can then use this cheap weapon with decent stats to obtain a similar, or better, weapon that will be more permanent. 

Even for a new player.

It is worth 75 drops. Assume you get 5 drops an hour, like many players - that is 15 solid hours of gameplay - for an item that will have zero value ingame, and will wear down very quickly, probably quicker than it takes you to find a replacement item.

For 75 points, it is up against one of the truly remarkable, new, unique items in the game, that will be worth millions - the 10HCI earrings - why? Because this property has never been done before for this slot.

It is not rather easy to obtain in perspective.

It is your game, but I am not sure even a new player would value this weapon.

My earrings 210 on tamer
    McDougle said:
    My earrings 210 on tamer
    Thats why Antique works for you.  I have played very little with my toon and have lower than you.

I have been using 2 other tamers because they had pets that matched the spawn better. And I have been getting Dexxers ready for Wildfire.
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    My earrings 210 on tamer
    Thats why Antique works for you.  I have played very little with my toon and have lower than you.

I have been using 2 other tamers because they had pets that matched the spawn better. And I have been getting Dexxers ready for Wildfire.
    I play about 6 characters across 3 accounts so my wear seems less 
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    My earrings 210 on tamer

I play about 6 characters across 3 accounts so my wear seems less 
    Its on Lets go!

Good Luck all!
  • RoxoRoxo Posts: 32
    Cookie said:
    Roxo said:

Even for a new player.

It is worth 75 drops. Assume you get 5 drops an hour, like many players - that is 15 solid hours of gameplay - for an item that will have zero value ingame, and will wear down very quickly, probably quicker than it takes you to find a replacement item.

For 75 points, it is up against one of the truly remarkable, new, unique items in the game, that will be worth millions - the 10HCI earrings - why? Because this property has never been done before for this slot.

The cost was bumped down to 25 points, which I felt made it more accessible to new players. It is a flame slayer fencing weapon with spell casting properties splashed in. While it’s obviously not an endgame piece of equipment, it may prove useful to players that have recently started the game attempting to get a foothold in the new event.
    Roxo said:
    Cookie said:
    Roxo said:

Even for a new player.

The cost was bumped down to 25 points, which I felt made it more accessible to new players. It is a flame slayer fencing weapon with spell casting properties splashed in. While it’s obviously not an endgame piece of equipment, it may prove useful to players that have recently started the game attempting to get a foothold in the new event.

Didn't see the new price sorry, I tried to verify it before I made that comment, but took someone's else word for it :)

Understood.

edited June 2021

And anyway, we are all up and running, good luck all :)

And thanks the Devs, for the content, and the bits where you did listen :)

edited June 2021
    Roxo said:
    Cookie said:
    Roxo said:

Even for a new player.

Antique weapons? Its not even worth 25 points lol... they are "trash bin" quality. To make antique weapon temporarily useful, it should have some really powerful specs like the one I mentioned for splintering above. In the case of splintering it needs to be clean to be of any use. If not clean, at least brittle for practicality.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2021
    Pawain said:
    @ Kyronix  There is a bug with Antique items they do not allow PoF to the 3 levels they should.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/55909

It would be different if they worked as intended.

But, even if they worked as intended, I would not use an antique weapon or armor on a Melee toon.  Wear out too fast.

Also if you want to make disposable items they should cost a disposable price.
    “I was about to post, are we all going to ignore the elephant in the room that these antique rewards are pre-bugged, but Pawain beat me to it. Bug reported May 2018, still active..

(The event is now live in fel on Atlantic, fairly dense spawn all over, artifacts are not yet cursed)

I also think some player’s may be disappointed to learn that drusilla’s athame reward.. the flame slayer properly will not work for spells as per current UO game mechanics”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited June 2021
    "We are still waiting for the event to start properly on ATL, (waiting for artifacts to be cursed in fel), currently just semi afk farming with a legal auto insure script in EC"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    Yoshi said:
    "We are still waiting for the event to start properly on ATL, (waiting for artifacts to be cursed in fel), currently just afk farming with a legal auto insure script in EC"

more you say shit the less they will listen to you...you have plently of fight on atl if you want why are you yap yap again...i didn t see any afk farming in fel at all the spawn become hard enought to kill any bots with paragon
    “I’m sure there is, but I looted only 1 arti from killing scores of blues, I’m currently just farming semi-afk to get artis. For entertainment i might go pvp but it’s not currently profitable”