I fear the Kappa will be extinct,

and something needs to be done

Comments

• Nah, let em die. The little wyrms deserve everything they get.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I admit I have helped kill off the Kappa. If they were meant to survive then they would spawn faster.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I love killing them...they make the CUTEST sound when they die *evil grin*

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited April 2021
    They deserve to die. They suck your soul through your anus (now you know why the event is called "Soulless Seduction"), and to defeat them you have to trick them into bowing to pour the liquid from their head. That's the actual mythology of the Kappa.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited April 2021
    Actually Pawain was right, the Sleeping Dragon Champ (if activated) will provide a good source of Kappa...

It would be nice if there is a Champ Spawn Tier Lock (maybe store item) so we can lock the Spawn at Tier 2 for an unlimited, continuous free flow of fresh beetles and Kappa. Tier 3 Lesser Hiryu poses dismounting risk.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    They deserve to die. They suck your soul through your anus (now you know why the event is called "Soulless Seduction"), and to defeat them you have to trick them into bowing to pour the liquid from their head. That's the actual mythology of the Kappa.
    I had no idea that they were designed after a *real* thing so I had to look it up.....

I am going to have nightmares.....I used to think they were cute little things that made an adorable noise when they died.....

Even though it's mythological...who WHO came up with this stuff??? They are scary SCARY frightening evil horrible things.....

Unless you make friends with them.....*shakes head*

I still think they make cute noises when they die...now I will have even more fun killing them.

But back on topic....the spawn IS an option if someone is willing to do it....I went yesterday and it was on lvl 3 and way too hard by myself with EV's.....yes I play solo because that's what I choose...so I had to go elsewhere which is what I have been doing anyway. There are several spawn locations for most of the mobs needed, so even though it may take longer it's not impossible.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Wonder if Tolkien knew/used this for his transformation of Gollum for looks.
    edited April 2021
    I just want to say if they can help to improve the spawn rate of Kappas will be good. The champspawn is in tier 4 and all the Kappas at the swamp/lake are seriously "extinct", and I have nothing to do but post here while waiting respawn.

I don't mind doing this simple quest 500 times, but the real challenge is that there are not enough to kill. I wonder how the other more crowded shards handle this.

All we are hoping now is that given time less players will be active for this quest. But given this is a super rare and sweet earring, bonus human/elf slot and its not POFable, and a lottery drop system, I don't think the crowd will go away soon.

At least up the spawn rate so we can play the game instead of staring at corpses.

I am going to do other stuffs.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Call out in chat for help with the spawn? Great pet skilling on the last levels. Run consume and the pet can be surrounded and live. I have received a primer III from Serado. I have seen two of us finish it when no one else comes to help.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2021
    Everyone seems racing to be efficient and finish each quest ASAP because the desired drop rate is not high. So spending time to do the champ or waiting for the spawn is not ideal. 

I think frustrations builds up after hours of playing with zero gain (there is really, only one item desired with no consolation). The deco items lose their charm after 30 or more runs and become a potential trash item.... with 0 cleanup and uncertain if they are of any use in future. 

This is just a comment but I cannot say this is not a complain as even loyal players have to be honest... lol. 
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited April 2021
    Pawain said:
    Call out in chat for help with the spawn? Great pet skilling on the last levels. Run consume and the pet can be surrounded and live. I have received a primer III from Serado. I have seen two of us finish it when no one else comes to help.

Yep, with Consume Damage running my FWW+PB Najasaurus can tank the entire Lvl 3/4 spawn and AoE them down. I'll stand on top of him with my Disco/Tamer while occasionally vetting and Discording. My Sampire does Lvl 1/2/3, then is standing by on Lvl 4 for Serado to spawn. My Sampire can easily solo Serado.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    Seth said:
    (there is really, only one item desired with no consolation). The deco items lose their charm after 30 or more runs and become a potential trash item.... with 0 cleanup and uncertain if they are of any use in future.
    This.

From day one the other rewards were not wanted, its better to add another 30 kappas (to ensure their extintion) and have the reward set 100% at Yukios earings, than to have a random reward at the end. For the fellowship of Kappas they should have an invasion once the population peaks at the next Kappa-year.

psycho said:
    Seth said:
    (there is really, only one item desired with no consolation). The deco items lose their charm after 30 or more runs and become a potential trash item.... with 0 cleanup and uncertain if they are of any use in future.
    This.

From day one the other rewards were not wanted, its better to add another 30 kappas (to ensure their extintion) and have the reward set 100% at Yukios earings, than to have a random reward at the end. For the fellowship of Kappas they should have an invasion once the population peaks at the next Kappa-year.

Sounds like the Kelpiens... when the population peaks then its time for culling lol.
  • Luc_of_LegendsLuc_of_Legends Posts: 312
    edited April 2021
    Larisa said:
    I had no idea that they were designed after a *real* thing so I had to look it up.....

I am going to have nightmares.....I used to think they were cute little things that made an adorable noise when they died.....

Even though it's mythological...who WHO came up with this stuff??? They are scary SCARY frightening evil horrible things.....

Unless you make friends with them.....*shakes head*

I still think they make cute noises when they die...now I will have even more fun killing them.

But back on topic....the spawn IS an option if someone is willing to do it....I went yesterday and it was on lvl 3 and way too hard by myself with EV's.....yes I play solo because that's what I choose...so I had to go elsewhere which is what I have been doing anyway. There are several spawn locations for most of the mobs needed, so even though it may take longer it's not impossible.
    Larisa it's from Japanese Mythology.   Read here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)
    Actually many of the Tokuno monsters are from Japanese Mythology.  Many other UO monsters are from various other mythologies.   The Sphinx is from Egyptian/Greek Mythology.  Centaurs, Minotaurs, Satyrs, Dryads, and Medusa to name a few are from Greek Mythology.  Mephitis is the Roman Goddess of foul smelling gases that erupt from the earth, she was big in Pompeii.  The Kraken, Ogres, Trolls and Ettins are from Norse Mythology.  Many RPG monsters and such have been inspired by Mythologies. 

Bilbo said:
    Wonder if Tolkien knew/used this for his transformation of Gollum for looks.
    Um Bilbo sweetie Tolkien drew his inspiration from  Mythology. In particular Germanic, Finnish, Greek, Celtic and Slavic.  He was also heavily influenced by his  Catholic - Christian beliefs and catechism.  Tolkien borrowed just as Gary Gygax, Richard Garriott, past, current and future UO developers have borrowed.   I don't think Gollum's physical appearance and character were inspired by any one thing. If anything Gollum is a mixture of many things.  For example he is the embodiment of the destructive and consuming nature of power and greed. There have been numerous academic papers written on the subject.  I am going to shut up now because I am starting to sound like a college Humanities or Literature class - Yikes! 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Don’t play a fighter but still get splashed by them once in awhile.  How do you keep them from ruining your armor and weapons when you fight at close range?  Like the color of the slime.
    edited April 2021
    Arnold7 said:
    Don’t play a fighter but still get splashed by them once in awhile.  How do you keep them from ruining your armor and weapons when you fight at close range?  Like the color of the slime.

hmm, I am wondering if the acid from Kappa and the monstrous interred grizzle actually eat weapon or armor. They do affect the HP for sure.

Those slimes in vermin champ, paroxysms, and recent ice dungeon event have a warning message that it affects the weapon/armor. I did not see such warning for Kappa.

edit: Sorry for the interred grizzle, it does affect armor. Some advise on the web not to stay on them for too long. For Kappa, I have been grinding with warrior but did not notice any significant drop no my armor so far. Maybe its because we don't stand on the puddle for too long, as we kill in 2-3 hits and keep moving.

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Yes found that out about the ice dungeon when I took my fighter there.  Thought the kappas were the same so never went after them with a fighter.  Thanks.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Standard answer I gave to new D&D player back in the day when they questioned the GM (me) about why they were suddenly dead. 

DON'T STAND IN THE GOO.

• The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    Anyone else find it funny that mario had turtles named "Koopa" and uo has turtles named "Kappa"  Borderline copyright infringement
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Kappa are from Japanese mythology. So if anything, Koopa is a play off Kappa. 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    i first heard about Kappas while watching Super Sentai: Ninja Sentai Kakuranger.
    edited April 2021
    It seems Kappa, hiryu, oni, etc all came from Japanese folklore, probably existed before first cpu were invented and Mario.

Britannians are brutal.

Just because one artisan went missing, they exterminate an entire race. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I think the Rune Beetle is a UO creation.  Rest are from mythology.  Lady of the Snow also a Japanese folklore. Other games use a lot of the same MOBs as UO does.  Not sure who came up with the Frost Beetle.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.