Practical changes to Mounted acceleration/deceleration and angled direction changes

I find it amazing how a horse bearing myself at 580 stones can accelerate to running speeds instantly, and 180 direction change as easily while adventuring the greatest game ever 'Ultima Online'. 

Surely it would be practical for a 2 or even 3 tile acceleration buffer to running speeds while mounted? and change to direction 90 degrees and greater would suffer a 'mid speed' trot? (between walking and running) speed to corner? 

maybe weight would affect these 1-2-3 tile acceleration/deceleration times? and ostards cornered better? 

i find being fully plated with 20 weapons, pots and bandies, 5k gold on a llama with 15 str a bit fanciful out-maneuvering an elf weighing 100 stones in woodland armour enhanced with ash on a kirin.

perhaps i am the one being unrealistic.

What do you guys reckon?

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited April 2018
    I like this,

half of my spells receive an error “target cannot be seen” even with range check last target. As people in EC can run a lot faster than me and run offscreen. This would help. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• while on the subject i'd like to explore the idea of 'weight superiority' at full speed in plate on a draught horse and potential knock back of weaker creatures on foot and debilitating collisions with maximum intensity on stationary 'side-on' targets ;) 
  • ThalonThalon Posts: 61
    edited April 2018
    I prefer the simplistic movement Ultima Online currently offers. "Debilitating collisions" already exist in Felucca, you have to push through other players and will take a hit to Stamina as a result. Adding further physics adjustments such as acceleration and cornering would not add much gameplay wise in my opinion and wreck the simplistic appeal of UO.

For those craving "realism" UO is a fantasy world. Most mounts are Unicorns, Nightmares or ethereal conjurations....would physics as we know it apply? Would it be fair/balanced to have some mounts like horses follow a physics model while ethies do not?

As for Mervyn's concern in PvP, the issues are caused by functional differences between the Client Client and Enhanced Client. Similar issues existing with the 3D Client and the Kingdom Reborn Client. Each player is free to decide to use the CC or EC. Closing the performance gap between the clients would not be solved by adding new physics server side.

Thalon, Merchant Sailor of Pacific for fine Tools, Clothing, and Potions!
    Blacksmithing, Carpentry and Inscription services offered through afilliated subcontractors.
    Exotic beasts available with proper authorization from the Crown.
  • Ethereal mounts could lack the substance to push through anything etc. there are plenty of options.

Even in this fantasy we're subject to weight, and maximum walking, running speeds subject to ailments that reduce these in multiple ways. We now have a flying species that's playable, even though it doesn't seem to fatigue while hovering in the same location for hours on end or have any trouble flying under trees i thought would at least dismount them, as it should players on horseback etc. 

Perhaps this simplicity is outdated? it was designed on machines incapable of advanced physics.