Item ID no longer useful?

I'm trying to figure out what the point is anymore... I remember when we used to get a magic item, it was 'unidentified' and someone had to figure out what it was before they decided if it was worth anything. Now it seems the item just tells you what it is. 

Can we bring back ID'ing stuff where its actually necessary?

Comments

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    edited April 2018
    If I remember correctly, when Stygian Abyss came out, Item ID was updated to also tell you whether a magic item will unravel to magical residue, enchanted essence, or relic fragment.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    yeah but thats kinda silly, to invest points for that.  Just loot the artis and I always take the greater and major magics as well...skillspace is too cramped as it is

• InLorInLor Posts: 412
    See also: http://www.uoguide.com/Useless_Skill

As for skillspace being cramped.. we have 6-7 slots per shard and soulstones... :)
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
    InLor said:

As for skillspace being cramped.. we have 6-7 slots per shard and soulstones... :)
    Not all of us have money to drop on soulstones or accounts with oodles of vet reward picks. Some of us are still saving most of our vet reward picks to get shard shields someday. Also, on Siege and Mugen you only get one character per account. Item ID is not worth the skill points it takes up.
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    Just remove the useless skills and be done with it.  Or allow anyone to use them without using up skill points.  Somethings like requiring armslore to make slightly better items was a major waste of time and skill points which is another useless skill that was given slight un -uselessness (lol)
    Margrette said:
    InLor said:

Not all of us have money to drop on soulstones or accounts with oodles of vet reward picks. Some of us are still saving most of our vet reward picks to get shard shields someday. Also, on Siege and Mugen you only get one character per account. Item ID is not worth the skill points it takes up.
    Bit of a strange comment. You have 6+1 char slots per shard.. plenty to make cool chars.. without soulstones. Of course Siege/Mugen have only one slot..they are intentionally "cramped".. :)
    edited April 2018
    InLor said:
    Margrette said:
    InLor said:

Bit of a strange comment. You have 6+1 char slots per shard.. plenty to make cool chars.. without soulstones. Of course Siege/Mugen have only one slot..they are intentionally "cramped".. :)
    I don't want to try to cram any more skills into my crafters and resource gatherers. I already use up 4 slots per shard trying to do it without using soulstones:

Character 1 - 120 tailoring, 120 blacksmithing, 120 imbuing, 100 armslore, 100 magery, 100 meditation, 60 eval or tinkering. This character must have enough magery and meditation to kill stuff in Ter Mur to be able to use the queen's soulforge.

Character 2 - 100 carpentry, 100 tinkering, 100 fletching, 100 armslore, 75-100 magery (need at least 75 for making pentagrams), 45 musicianship (to be able to make instruments, some can come from jewelry), 75 tailoring (to be able to make tailoring add-ons), 80 blacksmithing (to make blacksmithing add-ons), 40-70 meditation depending on how much real magery and musicianship the character has.

Character 3 - 110=120 magery, 100 inscription, 100 cooking, 100 alchemy, 100-120 eval, 100 meditation, 100 poisoning. Yeah, I'd love to be able to have mysticism or necromancy for this character to swap on and off, but that takes getting soulstones and spending even more money on power scrolls.

Character 4 - 100 mining, 100 lumberjacking, 100-120 fishing, 100-110 magery, 100 meditation, 100 musicianship, 100-120 peacemaking.

On a few shards, I've decided I want to be able to make soulforge deeds and have therefore invested in one soulstone for that account on that shard. I then use a 5th character on the account as a skill holder to move armslore off the tailor temporarily and move carpentry over temporarily from the carpenter. I could probably also do something similar with one soulstone and the 5th character to make a treasure hunter out of the miner but it really depends on whether or not I can afford and find music, peacemaking and magery powerscrolls on that shard.

So if you want to be able to craft everything and you don't want to use soulstones to do it, you pretty much have to spread out the skills among at least 3 crafter characters. Having to cram yet another skill into the mix, like item ID, would feel like nothing more than a money grab on Broadsword's part and I doubt it would go over very well with many people, especially those who aren't sitting on a lot of extra vet reward picks.
    edited April 2018
    I see where you're coming from, but (mmo)rpgs are all about choices. And wanting to play each and every role is your choice. I don't think they're obliged to make sure that a single subscription can play all roles. And with the amount of shards..you can. If you insist on playing 14 roles per shard... get a second account. I have 2 active subscriber accounts currently, simply because I have so many builds I like to play with.. and I find soulstones/skill switching etc tedious. 

I, for one, welcome not only updating of (semi-)useless skills, but also new ones. It's really not a money grab to do expand and update your game..
    I already have 8 accounts active at the moment.
    Erm, well.. isn't that plenty???