I can't seem to play Ultima Online from my mobile device . . . . . . .

It's 2021 . . . . . . . .
Tagged:

Comments

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    What would you even do? There’s so much clicking and dragging... macros... spell combinations... pvp..any combat really... can’t see a worthwhile play experience on mobile for a game as complex as this. For a team of like 5 people to make a uo mobile app that delivers a contorted and greatly diminished game experience seems like inefficient use of what limited resources they have. 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    My phone still flips; but I'm trying to imagine someone trying to pick up a ring or a gem on those tiny screens. It just seems like they wouldn't be able to even see it. Really curious, how would that even work on a phone? Or do you mean a bit bigger on those tablets? Still, those would be tiny to play.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited February 2021
    People use laptops. Can you use a touchscreen laptop to move around and play UO.

A laptop that uses android like a chromebook.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Ah, I just call laptops - laptops; when I hear mobile device I think phones. Besides, nothing is stopping anyone from playing on a laptop now so I figured he meant phones and tablets.
    Same
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 456
    edited February 2021
    Marge said:
    My phone still flips; but I'm trying to imagine someone trying to pick up a ring or a gem on those tiny screens. It just seems like they wouldn't be able to even see it. Really curious, how would that even work on a phone? Or do you mean a bit bigger on those tablets? Still, those would be tiny to play.
    In EC, you just right click.  Some mobile game adaptations just use a radial menu.  You hold your finger to the screen and it gives you options in a circle.  You drag your finger to one of the options in the circle.  I'd imagine "Gather" would be one of those options or send to designated bag for another.

My main issue with it is that mobile games usually have auto save kind of features so you can just put your phone down immediately on the go.  Like sleep mode for games.

If you're setting yourself enough time to get to a spawn and manage it and having enough time to get out and back safe, that may not be good for mobile devices.

IMO.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Marge said:
    Ah, I just call laptops - laptops; when I hear mobile device I think phones. Besides, nothing is stopping anyone from playing on a laptop now so I figured he meant phones and tablets.
    Chromebooks are like tablets.  You download apps and they use android like a phone. My wife has one.

Personally I have never had a laptop. But, I doubt UO will be coded for a phone or tablet. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Pawain said:
    Marge said:
    Chromebooks are like tablets.  You download apps and they use android like a phone. My wife has one.

Personally I have never had a laptop. But, I doubt UO will be coded for a phone or tablet. 

Let's hope it never will! :)
  • looploop Posts: 301
    There's a Mobile UO client among the free shard community which you can find videos of. It's interesting as a technological experiment, but personally I don't feel much need to play UO on my phone.

A companion mobile app that lets you do vendor searches (provided it actually works), look through an encyclopedia of items and monsters, see IDOC announcement announcements, or plan your chars and pets would be neat.
    I’ve seen the videos of the unofficial mobile app and it’s just proof of concept more than anything. I read somewhere it is buggy and not really that usable.  

An app for doing vendor searches and to see maps and info would be great, I agree. Of course vendor search would need to work properly and be able to handle all of those requests.