Pet Training "BATTLE DEFENSE" question.....

While reading a few posts, in this one https://community.stratics.com/threads/platinum-and-crimson-drakes.388884/post-2850555 atsome point I read the following words :
If you get wrestling to 100. Battle defense will appear.
Battle Defense
Trains the creature in the disarm and paralyze special moves. Also trains the creature in the Heightened Senses & Shield Bash mastery abilities.
UOGuide, instead, describes it as differently (rather then indicating the disarm and paralyze special moves and Heightened Senses & Shield Bash Mastery abilities as the UO Wiki does, it indicates to train the creature in Mortal Strike, Concussion Blow, DIsarm, Toughness and Stagger skill Masteries) and this significant difference, confuses me because they look to me as quite different things and I do not understand which is correct, whether the UO Wiki or the UOGuide.

Furthermore, what does Heightened Senses do for a pet ?

See https://www.uoguide.com/Animal_Training where Battle Defense is indicated as:
Besides that confusion to understand what exactly Battle Defense does for a pet, another initial problem that I have, is that Toughness & Stagger, at least for characters, are Macing skill Masteries, not Wrestling Masteries.

But I imagine that for pets it might be different ? Anyways,it got me confused and I would like to understand.

Second, what does "Disarm" do for a pet used in PvM ? Most MoBs do not use weapons so,I am not sure what good could do on a tameable pet to have Disarm....

Third, I went to https://www.uo-cah.com/pet-planner and tried to calculate the cost in training points for this "ability" (?) so as to make sure to save up the needed points for it, but I could not figure out where to make it show up in the planner so as to see how many points it costs....
Also, if I try to select this "Battle Defense" as the Magic ability, I get a warning message that I have more then 3 abilities selected (Battle Defense as Magic ability, Dragon Breath as Special Ability, Move 2 Paralyze and Move 3 DIsarm as Special Moves, nothing in the field Move 1...) and I cannot edit anything in any of those fields. So, what gives ?

The stratics post says that it appears when Wrestling reaches 100.0 skill level, so I am supposed to start the pet training with mo Magic Ability at all and only pick it once its Wrestling reaches 100.0 ?

Is anyone familiar to it and can please help me out with making me better understand what this Battle Defense is all about, how many training points it cost, and whether it is a Magic Ability, a Special Ability, a Special Move or an AOE Ability and when I am supposed to actually activate it in the training process of a pet ?

Thank you for the kind help.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The wiki information comes from here:
    The mortal strike, toughness information, I believe, can be found here:

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Mariah said:
    The wiki information comes from here:
    The mortal strike, toughness information, I believe, can be found here:

Thanks @Mariah for the informations.

Do you have any confirmation that Battle Defense only shows up when Wrestling reaches 100.0 ?
    Sorry, I haven't tested that. I know it is not shown at low levels of wrestling, and since special moves are not available to players until they reach 70 skill minimum and masteries not until 90 skill it would seem to be a possibility. However since it is not possible to set pet skills on Test center in the way it is for characters it would need a significant time investement to train a pet and test at the different levels.  I will try to find the time for it, however I have other commitments that outweigh that question in general importance.
    If it is more important to you, perhaps you would like to test it?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited October 2020
    @popps why dont you take a pet to TC and try it.  I would answer your questions but you NEVER follow through.  Battle defense would not be a good thing in Deceit. Your pet would take 10 minutes to kill a paragon.

Also read here most of your questions are answered here. https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/animal-training-abilities/  They nerfed paralyze as soon as pub 97 came out, it lasts maybe 1 second now and most mobs have enough resist to make it not activate. . Two Reptalons were keeping anything paralyzed forever. Disarm rarely works in PvP. You can disarm a pirate eventually with it, Then your pet will die.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    @ popps why dont you take a pet to TC and try it.  I would answer your questions but you NEVER follow through.  Battle defense would not be a good thing in Deceit. Your pet would take 10 minutes to kill a paragon.

Also read here most of your questions are answered here. https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/animal-training-abilities/  They nerfed paralyze as soon as pub 97 came out, it lasts maybe 1 second now and most mobs have enough resist to make it not activate. . Two Reptalons were keeping anything paralyzed forever. Disarm rarely works in PvP. You can disarm a pirate eventually with it, Then your pet will die.
    Thanks for the heads up.

The problem with the pages about animal training abilities, is that they, for the most part, describe "in theory" how it should work.... yet, in game, it might be an entire other story as you indicate when you mention paralyze and disarm....

That is why I thought it was better to ask fellow players who might have already gone through it and seen how theis Battle Defense really worked, to their experience, and whether it was on any rea, tangible help to the pet or not...

I am guessing then, that Battle Defense is not worth investing pet's training points on....
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    " @Mariah, i have tested this and can confirm that battle defense is only an option when the creature has trainined wrestling to 100 and parry because visible, please update wiki, you can also add that the pet will perform the bodyguard mastery too"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited March 2021
    thank you, page edited to include a paragraph on parry and this related mastery.