New shard?? But what for old players ???

2»

Comments

• Sure, poppsTrammel and insurance - it gave new life for all, Players which like craft, houses and etc - got own world, people in pvp can dress normal items, not cheaper trash.
    I think that all players which like some things can get what they love/
    But when somebody want to decide this for us - this is disrespectful.
  • They need to really think before the release date.
    Nothing prevent anyone to start 100's of new EJ accounts and collect the 1000gp and quick raise so much gold and place houses or buy gears or even sell the gold.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    NewShard said:
    They need to really think before the release date.
    Nothing prevent anyone to start 100's of new EJ accounts and collect the 1000gp and quick raise so much gold and place houses or buy gears or even sell the gold.
    It is faster, and less hassle scripting 24/7 just 2 or 3 accounts, maybe 4, for skills training and gold farming...

That is why I insist that the New Legacy Shard should be released with a new Client of its own that was particularly detecting the use of cheats from players....

I suspect that, unless some serious cheats prevention is done (hence a new Client that would detect it and stop it), cheating on the New Legacy Shard will be at a huge high right on day 1 of its coming to life....
  • ZedZed Posts: 33
    popps said:
    NewShard said:
    It is faster, and less hassle scripting 24/7 just 2 or 3 accounts, maybe 4, for skills training and gold farming...

That is why I insist that the New Legacy Shard should be released with a new Client of its own that was particularly detecting the use of cheats from players....

I suspect that, unless some serious cheats prevention is done (hence a new Client that would detect it and stop it), cheating on the New Legacy Shard will be at a huge high right on day 1 of its coming to life....
               That's it ! The game is the same and the problems with the scripters are the same ! And as soon as they start New Legacy, in a few days, on all well-known sites for the sale of items and gold for UO,we will see a separate column - items and gold for New Legacy.

This city needs a new hero !

Vendors with excellent armor and weapons are always waiting for you on Atlantic )

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I have to say, that at first yes, I was disappointed...but after having time to digest and re-watch the video and read the FAQ I changed my tune.

First, for all the people saying that once you transfer your legacy character onto a production shard it will automatically be obsolete....I don't see that being the case, they wouldn't let that happen. 

This was JUST announced and I am sure it will be going through a lot of changes over the coming months so we just have to wait and see, but as far as armor/skills go, I have a feeling that it will be slightly better then what we have now.

Veterans will have a chance to hop on to New Legacy and help out new and returning players while promoting their shard, which is what I will be doing to bring fresh blood to Origin ;)

As far as Siege? I hope they put in some system to allow maybe not transfers of characters but a way to maybe get the items you acquired? That's a tricky one...

What I liked best from UO past was the quest that we all had to do when they announced KR....I remember so many people helping each other, figuring out the rune messages every week, many dynamic quests to figure out, puzzles....many people on every shard working together. I think the quest system on NL will be more like that...maybe different paths to chose...more immersive.

The one MAJOR thing is promotions and advertising. I know they did the live stream and I know that a few online gaming magazines write about it, but there needs to be more.

Cheating...that's another tricky subject. I do know that when Origin came online, everyone started with nothing...but within a few weeks there was GM made armor and weapons for sale on vendors...so yeah the scripting happened and it probably will happen on NL, which kinda sucks and I hope that maybe they can do something to make it happen less, we'll just have to see.

I think the team is doing a great job and I can't wait to see the next installment of NL.

Zed said:
    popps said:
    NewShard said:

That's it ! The game is the same and the problems with the scripters are the same ! And as soon as they start New Legacy, in a few days, on all well-known sites for the sale of items and gold for UO,we will see a separate column - items and gold for New Legacy.
    Pretty much, to my humble opinion...

I wonder, out of sheer curiosity what the New Legacy Shard gold and items sellers will call themselves....

I hope that they will have some creativity and at least come up with some funny names that fit with the theme of the new Server....
    Larisa said:
    I have to say, that at first yes, I was disappointed...but after having time to digest and re-watch the video and read the FAQ I changed my tune.

First, for all the people saying that once you transfer your legacy character onto a production shard it will automatically be obsolete....I don't see that being the case, they wouldn't let that happen. 

This was JUST announced and I am sure it will be going through a lot of changes over the coming months so we just have to wait and see, but as far as armor/skills go, I have a feeling that it will be slightly better then what we have now.

Veterans will have a chance to hop on to New Legacy and help out new and returning players while promoting their shard, which is what I will be doing to bring fresh blood to Origin ;)

As far as Siege? I hope they put in some system to allow maybe not transfers of characters but a way to maybe get the items you acquired? That's a tricky one...

What I liked best from UO past was the quest that we all had to do when they announced KR....I remember so many people helping each other, figuring out the rune messages every week, many dynamic quests to figure out, puzzles....many people on every shard working together. I think the quest system on NL will be more like that...maybe different paths to chose...more immersive.

The one MAJOR thing is promotions and advertising. I know they did the live stream and I know that a few online gaming magazines write about it, but there needs to be more.

Cheating...that's another tricky subject. I do know that when Origin came online, everyone started with nothing...but within a few weeks there was GM made armor and weapons for sale on vendors...so yeah the scripting happened and it probably will happen on NL, which kinda sucks and I hope that maybe they can do something to make it happen less, we'll just have to see.

I think the team is doing a great job and I can't wait to see the next installment of NL.
    First and foremost, I need to say that I am also positively minded about the new Project especially being a means to "ferry" new players onto Ultima Online.

That said, whether it will be succesfull or not, to my opinion, will MUCH depend on how it will be done.

Personally, I do not think that consenting indiscriminate player killing and something like "anything goes" as some hardcore PvPers would want would be the right way to go.

There is not only PvPers out there, there is also plenty PvMers and PvMers, according to the grandest majority of players statistics are by far the largest number as compared to PvPers.

So, if we want lots of players on the new Shard it has to cater not just for PvPers but also for PvMers which it means, that it has to have a solid and efficient way to keep under control player killing.

Well, I do not think that cheating is something that one should resign to accept, lots of game Companies and Developers have come up over the Years with ways, some more, some less succesfull to beat and contain cheating in their games.

So, I need to guess, it can possibly be done also for the New Legacy Shard "if" the Developers are willing to part ways with the current Clients (which have Third Parties for them...) and make a new one, Designed particularly strong to detect cheating and take immediate action against it.

Sure, it would be more work, but, at least to my opinion, I need to imagine that it would bring benefits in the long run.

I cannot count how many fellow UO players and friends I have seen over the Years quitting playing UO because fed up with the rampant duping, hacking, scripting and cheating....

Imagine if the New Legacy Server, thanking to a brand new Client, could prove itself Cheats proof or, at least, capable to detect cheats and thus take care of them ?

Wouldn't it be wonderfull the feeling to be finally able to play in a UO "cheat-free" gaming environment after some 23 or 24 Years form its birth ?

I would imagine that this new "cheat-free" Shard could bring back a lot of UO players who left because fed up from seeing rampant cheating left and right.....
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    popps said:
    Larisa said:

First and foremost, I need to say that I am also positively minded about the new Project especially being a means to "ferry" new players onto Ultima Online.

That said, whether it will be succesfull or not, to my opinion, will MUCH depend on how it will be done.

Personally, I do not think that consenting indiscriminate player killing and something like "anything goes" as some hardcore PvPers would want would be the right way to go.

There is not only PvPers out there, there is also plenty PvMers and PvMers, according to the grandest majority of players statistics are by far the largest number as compared to PvPers.

So, if we want lots of players on the new Shard it has to cater not just for PvPers but also for PvMers which it means, that it has to have a solid and efficient way to keep under control player killing.

Well, I do not think that cheating is something that one should resign to accept, lots of game Companies and Developers have come up over the Years with ways, some more, some less succesfull to beat and contain cheating in their games.

So, I need to guess, it can possibly be done also for the New Legacy Shard "if" the Developers are willing to part ways with the current Clients (which have Third Parties for them...) and make a new one, Designed particularly strong to detect cheating and take immediate action against it.

Sure, it would be more work, but, at least to my opinion, I need to imagine that it would bring benefits in the long run.

I cannot count how many fellow UO players and friends I have seen over the Years quitting playing UO because fed up with the rampant duping, hacking, scripting and cheating....

Imagine if the New Legacy Server, thanking to a brand new Client, could prove itself Cheats proof or, at least, capable to detect cheats and thus take care of them ?

Wouldn't it be wonderfull the feeling to be finally able to play in a UO "cheat-free" gaming environment after some 23 or 24 Years form its birth ?

I would imagine that this new "cheat-free" Shard could bring back a lot of UO players who left because fed up from seeing rampant cheating left and right.....
    A new client for a new shard?  They can't even finish the EC
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    popps said:
    Bilbo said:
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Why leave the game when these changes have nothing to do with prodo shards.
    May be because this player waited normal announcement with good news.
    But this news not for old players. It looks like a spit in the soul.
    Who says it is not for old players, you do understand you can log onto this shard just like anybody else and so for we really do not know what will be there because it is just a concept and nothing is set in stone.

I am crafter and PvE player and what i will do on new shard? Which will be in USA and my ping on this will be 250+++ Where are will be imbuing, BODs, runics, enhancing? And i dont want farm in PvE on new shard, because I don't see any interest in it
    I want progress, but not regress. Old days died and leave them alone or give old players worthy alternative!
    Don't be blind. In an attempt to bring back players who love the old time and new players, we can loose base, these are current players!
    And then all of us will end up with a broken trough..
    We have no clue what type of crafting system there will be.  This shard is not like the reg shards.

read https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/uo-nls-newsletter-1
    If the mechanics regulating the New Legacy Shard will be different as compared to the regular Shards, how will it then be possible, I wonder, to transfer characters and their belonging when the Shuttering occurs, to the current, regular Shards ?

For example, I seem to recall that those who play Siege Perilous and Mugen CANNOT copy their characters on the Test Server because, I understand, they are handled on Siege differently as they are on production Shards....

So, if it will be the same for the New Legacy Shard, I do not see how it will then be possible to transfer (copy) those characters and their belonging to the regular Shards when the Shattering comes....
    OMG popps who the hell knows  THIS NEW SHARD IS NOT LIKE THE OLD UO SHARDS, GET A DAMN CLUE.
    Zed said:
    Bilbo said:
    From the DEVs
    Now, for the first time in 15 years, we are welcoming new players and old to forge their Britannian Legacy in a brand new shard focused on returning Ultima Online to its fundamental roots as an RPG.

This shard is for EVERYBODY so stop your whining
              Mr Bilbo,about whining- let's get back to this conversation,when New Legacy will be put into play, and then let's see who really will whines.

well according to you nobody but new players will be allowed on the shard and that is total BS.  
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Please stick to the original topic, "old players" and what the shard means for them.
  • It means nothing to me. It isn't a world to settle into, it's a temporary arena in which to earn novelty prizes on your real shard.
    One of the hardest/time consuming (IMHO) to train is a Tamer or a true 120 Bard+magic nad as I have them on my Mains I would like them on some other shards and this new shard may/ may not be easier.  We do not know yet.
  • For those who don't look at E mails that much a second newsletter popped in mine.. It answers a lot of questions, but makes more too.  Yes I too feel the way many of you are. 
      I remember when Tram came out. I heard from guild members and friends it was not going to change life in Fel.
    HA HA 
    I watched as friend by friend went from fel to tram.  Mostly for the safety of keeping their hard earned items.  Thieves were a constant drag on the population... I tried to tell the dev and GMS curb them and players will stay put.  No one listened.  There were options to do it too.  
    I feel that if they don't watch what is going on with the prodo shards we the old players one by one will quit ..  Ignore us and we tend to leave like fall leaves on the tree and we dont come back. 
    They say history has a habit of repeating itself... 
    Ill wait like I did for the tram launch... but I have been getting tired of turning blue in the face to get changes that would help the game. This on top of publish bugs popping up and not getting things we need looked at.
     I am all for ways to bring the game back to what it should be...  
    Just don't ignore those who support you now. 
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    edited September 2020
    This topic was what's in this for old players ... well if you need to learn how to play I guess there is that.  If you are into titles or hero statues whatever I guess there is that.   If you want to go back to whacking dragons with that invul sword there is that.  Ya know making your legacy that lasts for a whole yr then expires. Or letting you have account bound items to display on your home shard.  Living the simple life with start up money and the basic nostalgia of starting over. 

(the fact that you can do that now on any existing shard if you so choose seems to have been missed. Go create a new character on any shard and start from scratch if you want to see what that is like, take a group of  your friends and play like all the new shinies don't exist)

What I actually see for existing players is a whole lot of super competitive vets craving ANYTHING NEW getting on there and trying to out do each other to be the first to get this, or the first to get that, it will be exactly as it is on the regular shards with the power gamers v the casual players and the cheaters v the non cheaters and we know who wins that race, any true 'new player' will be well behind the rest from day dot.

It will be like a king of the hill race to see who gets what first and who wants to thump their chests the longest and loudest before the big blow up and rinse repeat. Sure that may even be fun as your not competing with the uber dude who has 15m plat and an arsenal of you beaut toys however now you are competing with the power gamer using cheats that got that first 100k gold ahead of you and took the prime house spots. The other one with multi accounts who power scripted to get the gold to place and now wants to flog  you a house for 10 times it's worth. Instead of it being 10plat on a million plat server it will be 10 mil on a million mil server. Do any of you seriously think this isn't gonna happen? 

As for pvp well any opt in system will mean the majority (like now on regular shards) will NOT opt in.  So the avg pvp'er will have as many 'victims' as they currently have. Even if they figure a luring system to try and lure the non pvp crowd to other areas or limit some necessary content to just the pvp areas (hey shades of fel v tram) then the same old problems arise. How they are gonna manage to balance that is still vaporware but given for 23 yrs there hasn't been a good balance that satisfies I am not hopeful some epiphany has now been achieved.

The biggest assumption (and fallacy) here is that there are NEW PLAYERS and this is some kind of system to attract them back.   Go and read the comments on that live stream video, that is the instant reaction to this from those not currently playing (well a lot of em).  Not my reaction but the target audience.  It is NOT good.

Where is the marketing plan? If it is anything like the existing marketing plan then we are doomed.

So we are gonna have the same old vets just doing it in crappier armor and with less gold on a new toon one that gets blown to bits after the shattering, most players are not gonna delete their existing chars if they are fully scrolled and developed.   Attract new players?  Don't think so.

As for housing how will that be addressed? 

Housing has been and always will be the MOST attractive thing about UO for a large % of the player base, it is what made UO unique in the first place.  It is what gives players a sense of place and ownership.  It is the one thing that hasn't even been mentioned and I suspect it is the ONE thing that keeps 50% of existing players still playing, the pain of just letting the whole lot drop.

Is there gonna be housing and if so will a vet have their home shard house condemned if they want to place?   If not then just imagine the fiasco of every existing player across what 16+ shards all jumping onto a land mass that is a piddle the size of a regular world with only one facet and all trying to put down a house, and trust me the houses will be plopping within a day of it going live as the power gamers will be farming like mad to get the gold. 

I see every smidgen of land taken up in the first week unless they have a completely new kinda housing server or only allow 7 x 7 houses. That is assuming the hoards of new and returning players don't want housing too given this is supposedly aimed at flooding the game with new blood.  Isn't that the  overall intent of this?  The thing that is gonna be the best and greatest thing to shunt UO into the next 23 yrs?

For those of us not in the USA with pings of 100+ we get to do it in slow mode if we even want to or have the desire to play like that. 

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • Housing has already been addressed I mean have you even done any research into New Legacy or you just trolling it out of spite at this point? Was previewed in the trailer and said in the announcement video that housing will not conflict with live shards.

Housing has already been addressed I mean have you even done any research into New Legacy or you just trolling it out of spite at this point? Was previewed in the trailer and said in the announcement video that housing will not conflict with live shards.

Well excuse me I must of missed that bit , so how is the rest gonna be addressed of every player from 16+ shards as well as all the new players trying  to place  on a land mass 1/4 the size or less of the existing play area.  How is that being managed.

Cheers MissE

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    MissE said:
    so how is the rest gonna be addressed of every player from 16+ shards as well as all the new players trying  to place  on a land mass 1/4 the size or less of the existing play area.  How is that being managed.
    By calling it limited housing.  :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    MissE said:
    so how is the rest gonna be addressed of every player from 16+ shards as well as all the new players trying  to place  on a land mass 1/4 the size or less of the existing play area.  How is that being managed.
    By calling it limited housing.  :D

LOL yeah that will be fun, power gamers for the win! The rest of you have to camp or live on boats lol.

Cheers MissE

• Might have to complete certain season accomplishments in order to be able to place a house.

Larger housing footprints might also be reserved for guilds.

Maybe they'll do instanced city apartments and inn's?

Guess we'll find out.
    -Arroth
  • They cannot even stop spam in general chat.... This trouble can decide for 2 days. And new shard...
    All normal players know how it will be this start...

Larisa said:

Really? This dream all my game life, come on new shard and teach new players.
    Sorry, but I plan to spend my time more efficiently then so.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Zed said:
         The main thing is that other shards develop too, and if we will have at least something listed in the first post, then I do not mind.
    This pretty much sums it up for me. @Kyronix - as long as prod shards are not completely back burner'ed then I don't really mind how the new shard is setup. I hope the Prod shards will actually get new content rather than repeatedly recycled "treaures of" content (sprinkling in Treasures of is good but hoping it's not the only content). I might pop in to Legacy just to see what the differences are but it's very unlikely I will play it since it's temporary so if Prod starts to be stale from repeated Treasures Of content then I'll likely stop my subs until there is something different (and then play as an EJ account).

@Pawain - I'm not really sure what you even meant by your question "Why so scared, angry, confused, bitter now?". I was simply pointing out my point of view for all 3 types of players (Vets/Returning/New players) when it comes to the temporary shard using classic content which would transfer over to non-classic shards. I hope it's something the Devs think about in order to make it successful. I could say the same thing to you about your (and others) whole fear of non-consensual PvP. I actually wouldn't mind if it was like old UO and the only safe zones were the guard zones and if that were the case I'd actually be more inclined to play. Different strokes for different folks, my opinion vs your opinion isn't wrong just because it's different. *Shrug*