New Legacy Questions from us.

Thanks for the Conference. I enjoyed it.

My main question is derives from;
I do not want to play a game where another player can kill me, or steal from me, is the new shard a place for me?

Basically is it consensual PvP? Can I play without being harassed?

@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• Was this a chat about an idea on a white board or is it happening/being worked on? Timeframe? 6mo, 1yr, 2 yr or just something to divert attention from current bugs like vendor search.

And for the record, I am intrigued by this and would love to try it!
  • GaretjaxGaretjax Posts: 34
    edited September 2020
    1.  How do you plan to combat the RLM trades on this new shard or are we going to have another Avatar or uoplat spamming this one too? I can already see it now, selling legacy house for ATL gold or cash....

2.  You say to transfer off after the "shatter" but what if we have 6 slots full already, ok we purchase the 7th slot, but when the next legacy comes out, where do we put that character ? and the ones to follow?   

3.  Are these Legacy items or titles/achievements lets say account bound to help fight the above question?

4.. What kind of support we going to expect on this shard? Like if we see someone hacking/scripting, is it going to be strictly enforced or months later thought about like they are now? 
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    Question from me:
    Meanwhile I do want new players to play the game from the start, even relive it myself like in 1998, I am concerned over the two-folded ruleset.  New legacy shard with its rules and yet production rules on the other hand with its rules, which of them will have the attention and resources, making patches and publishes for two different systems is a challenge indeed (your team is quite small)

But more of a concern is the status of Atlantic, where "everyone started playing" thus draining the people from other shards leaving them empty. Lucky my shard Europa is doing fine and is active, but there are some shards out there whos really in trouble.

So the question is, when the new legacy shard comes, who doesnt want to play it? (lol basically everyone will jump right on it and thus the problem. The shard needs a huuuge world, scaled right, yet not lagged, and what happends to the existing shards?  might be abit emptied for a while...

Thanks, all the best,
    Long live UO
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    psycho said:

So the question is, when the new legacy shard comes, who doesnt want to play it? (lol basically everyone will jump right on it and thus the problem. The shard needs a huuuge world, scaled right, yet not lagged, and what happends to the existing shards?  might be abit emptied for a while...
    No one I talked to on Chessy has any interest for the new shard.
  • Marge said:
    psycho said:

i am sorry none of the 5 people that play chessy had any interest.

New Legacy + potential steam launch will be the best thing that can happen to the game.
  • Marge said:
    psycho said:

None of the people on Chessy have any interest in playing on Chessy either, last time I logged on there.

New Legacy + potential steam launch will be the best thing that can happen to the game.
    There are more people on Chessy than Atlantic people think.

New Legacy will be great for the pk'ers. I remember UO life pre tram and I don't want that again. My care bear trammie butt is happy where I'm at.

• There are people on Chessy????  every time i have logged in there  the place is dead and i do mean dead.   

As for this project: I got from the mess they called skype the impression its mostly done deal just the final tweeks.  Now if that is not the case... if covid keeps up they might get it done by 2025.
  • OH as a side note: Did anyone else find that Bleak was perplexed by the tech to keep in the session? He is an Engineer ....
    There are people on Chessy????  every time i have logged in there  the place is dead and i do mean dead.   

Most of us are out and about. I think alot of us talk in alliance /guild chats more than general chat.
  • Ok my old guild broke up and went to Atlantic... so no ears on shard...
  • I get it being the new and shiny thing, but I sincerely hope not all resources, time or effort just goes to this and would love to see things that need fixing on current shards to be fixed or expanded upon. I wonder though how simplifying things will help when people have to move to another shard where nothing has changed (such as armor etc). I hope everyone has fun with it, but for me I have just enough time to keep my toons on my one shard going.
    OH as a side note: Did anyone else find that Bleak was perplexed by the tech to keep in the session? He is an Engineer ....

I had to run to the bus stop before I could add this in - but I think that kinda worried all of us.
  • Ya gotta love it when the guy charged with server operations and keeping everything running and communicating stays disconnected on a skype call...  scary times indeed
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Will there be fishing?
    Will there be sea battles?
    Will there be gardening?
  • An Insight on how I think it will be done, 
    I think they said it would be a VvV system, which is consensual pvp. that being said, I believe that high-end drops/resources will come from vvv dedicated zones/dungeons. 

I also believe that skill gain will be based on killed monsters or how the new pet training systems work. You will be able to max out everything from anywhere, but I think the vvv content is going to be the fastest. 
    That being said i see the pvm is going to be challenging and pvpers will need pvmers to finish objectives, in return pvmers get protection. 

If you are not in a vvv land I think there will be zero pvp and have a tram style ruleset unless flagged criminal. 
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    Marge said:
    psycho said:

I disagree with you @AtomicBetty, and Chessy is not mine home shard, there is more then 5 there, last count there was 6, *LOL* But I will say I am NOT interested in this Legacy Shard, and would have left the link, except for some of the questions that were being asked.  I had hope they speak of current problems with the Prodo shards.  And the steps they were taking to stop cheats and fix stuff that is broke.  So I will remain on mine prodo shard and play the game I have grow to love. 
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    The constant refrain of "Atlantic is the only shard worth playing" is both nonsense and very, very tedious.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    Thanks for the Conference. I enjoyed it.

My main question is derives from;
    I do not want to play a game where another player can kill me, or steal from me, is the new shard a place for me?

Basically is it consensual PvP? Can I play without being harassed?

@ Mesanna @ Bleak @ Kyronix
    To my understanding from the Live Stream, NO.

Unless I got it wrong or something will change in the Design, my understanding is, as of now, that this New Legacy Shard will be precisely that, a place where players WILL be able to kill and steal from fellow players without their consent.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Marge said:
    psycho said:

Did I miss something, could you give me a time frame that was stated that UO might go to steam.
    Jepeth said:
    The constant refrain of "Atlantic is the only shard worth playing" is both nonsense and very, very tedious.

*hits the like button*
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    psycho said:
    You might then be surprised to acknowledge that maybe, there is quite a few players not interested to play on a Shard that gets restarted every Year..... over and over from scratch....

Think about a Test Server that does a wipe of the Server every Year.... all that you have done over that Year is gone for good. You start anew after 1 Year....

While there surely be players interested in that playing, a lot of other players, instead, like to build up stuff and keep it.

So, the Year wipe might not make the New Legacy Shard appealing for them to play into....

Add to that that, at least to my understanding from the Live Stream, this New Shard will be pretty much be about PvP and not much for PvM, and it will be even less interesting for a lot of other players...

Add to that then, that if this New Legacy Shard will use the same Classic and Enhanced Clients that we have now, this means to me that it will be just the same plagued by cheating, scripting and hacking.... and this might even further turn down other players not interested in giving it a chance to play PvP against other players who might cheat, script or hack....

So, to answer your question "who doesn't want to play it ?", depending on HOW it will be Designed and will play out, quite a lot of players might NOT want to play on it....
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    Marge said:
    Jepeth said:

*hits the like button*
    Agrees
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Marge said:
    Jepeth said:

*hits the like button*
    *hits the like button*
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    One question I'd have about the transfer off of Legacy would be is it free or do people have to buy a transfer token? @Kyronix ??
    I understood it would be free.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Back to the premise of questions 

I can see no one wanting to start in the last 3 to 6 months before the wipe. The main selling point seems to be everybody is starting on a level playing field and the "rules" simplified to reduce the benefit of experience. If you are starting 6 or more months behind with a limited time to catch up would you really want to try?

I'm not saying this isn't a good idea but I don't see a way to prevent new players from only showing up in the first month or two after the "shattering". Also will people who look at it and see it only has a month or two to go think "I'll give it a try after the reset" and forget when the time comes around?

I hope the team have considered this and have a solution I just can't think of one.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    edited September 2020
    I'm actually warming up to the idea! It's a bit like Ultima 4, one doesn't do stuff to get shinny baubles, one does it to become the Avatar, sort of. Engage in battles, destroy evil, become a hero of legend.. hmmm, those are the real rewards of a real Ultima, not collecting "rares" n' gaudy stuff...

Great idea and it might be fun, if they can pull it off correctly.   I pray that you, devs, can achieve it.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited September 2020
    No playable orcs...

Oh well, I'm giving myself partial credit for recognizing Broadsword was likely to do "Classic" shards and Steam releases for both DAoC and UO.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/42564/#Comment_42564

Shouldn't have discounted it. Should have stuck with my gut and made that my first guess! Playable Orcs was too tempting though.

Now we just have to wait for both the DAoC and UO teams to get the "classic" shards set-up and ready.

DAoC says Steam as soon as possible so....

Here's to betting that "New Legacy" and "New Conquest", or whatever the DAoC team are calling their "classic" shard, will coincide neatly with the Steam release. Q2 2021? Bet that's it. That'd put them right at the start of EA's next fiscal year.
    -Arroth
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    This basically feels like the Devs are starting a 1st Level RPG Campaign and inviting us to play.  :)  I am intrigued but I am curious to hear Kevin2020's question about the shard transfers answered.