Is there a character builder/tracker program for UO?

I played City of Heroes (CoH) for a long time. There was an excellant, free, 3rd party program which would allow a player to track all their characters, Mid's Hero & Villain Designer. It wasn't automatic, but when you wanted to update a character you would start up Mid's and make changes corresponding to the character's advancement since last time.  CoH did not need to be running to use Mid's -- there was no link between them.

Is there such a program available for UO? It could allow us to externally keep track of each character's statistics such as skill levels, stats, shard, character name, guild, guild title, goals, etc. Returning to the game after 6 years, I find I have characters on multiple shards, some I barely remember anything about. It would be nice to have this information available without having the game running and the character actually logged in.

I'm sure some of you have built character sheets for all their guys, or maybe even have set up a custom database. I could do those things as well, but I would prefer having a pre-existing program already set up to keep track of this stuff.

Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• MadMartyrMadMartyr Posts: 61
    Something like this could be built if MyUO were updated more often. As of the last time I checked, though, the MyUO database hadn't been updated in three months.

I already have most of the MyUO API implemented in two different development languages, including JavaScript, but the data just isn't reliable enough to release anything worthwhile around.
    UWF Emissary
    Developer of Ultima Mapper
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    Thanks, MadMartyr. What I'm envisioning would not even need to tie to MyUO, although having access to current character data directly from UO without being in game would indeed be useful. Is it the existence of MyUO which has hampered any 3rd party character tracking efforts? I find it strange that CoH had at least 3 such external programs, but none for UO.

Maybe I'll build a database template and share it with folks.  Off the top of my head, each record would contain
    • character name
    • shard
    • character creation date
    • guild
    • guild title
    • goal templates (eg, you have one for fencer/paladin build, and one for fencer/healer/poisoer)
    • current/max skills
    • current/max attributes
    • free-text profile
    • free-text major items (soul stone, etc)
    • free-text friend list
    What other fields would be important or useful?

• I know of nothing that tracks characters but there are some other useful tools that have been created.  There is Zolof's imbuing calculator (an excel spreadsheet) that can be used to plan out and keep track of your suit of armor.  There was UOBod to help keep track of BODs for your crafter characters.  Those are the main ones I can think of.  Of course, there is also UOAssist which is helpful if you wish to use the classic client.  If you are using the enhanced client then you want to look for Pinco's update for that.  UO Cartographer can still be used as a decent mapping program. 

Although to tell the truth, I haven't used most of these things in the last year (or even longer when it comes to UOBod) to know for sure if they still work.   And I also have never really used the enhanced client.  There are also several decent little calculators around.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 207
    There is Zolof's imbuing calculator (an excel spreadsheet) that can be used to plan out and keep track of your suit of armor.  
    Mind sharing or pointing to where the Excel template for that might be found?
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Merlin said:
    Mind sharing or pointing to where the Excel template for that might be found?
    Its on stratics!
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    I tend to keep track of all my characters and stuff in google docs.

Here is a google sheets I made for putting together my suits:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17dsk21mkJ4_NnOOKjzYwQYkANSJLlXZI8HDLBkEmPqk/edit?usp=sharing
    edited March 2018
    Thanks, DJAd.  Your spreadsheet looks very useful.

Just to get my character-tracking started, I've made a pure-text character sheet. It will at least get me started, until I or someone else builds something better. Any tips will be appreciated.

Account: *redacted*
    Shard: Baja
    Name: Rock
    Guild: VXt
    Guild Title: Imperterritus
    Overview: Healer & Peacemaker
    Goal Skills:
    Anatomy: 100
    Chivalry: 50
    Focus: 40
    Healing: 100
    Mace: 110
    Music: 110
    Peacemaking: 110
    Tactics: 100
    Current Skills:
    Anatomy: 95.0
    Chivalry: 56.6
    Focus: 60.0
    Healing: 92.1
    Mace Fighting: 106.1
    Musicianship: 105.4
    Peacemaking: 104.8
    Tactics: 100.0
    Goal Attribs:
    Dexterity: 96
    Intelligence: 45
    Strength: 104
    Current Attribs:
    Dexterity: 96
    Intelligence: 45
    Strength: 104
    Pets: none
    Notes: steed -- Ethereal Unicorn

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited March 2018

@Rock

Please tell me that is not an actual account name. If it is, I would email Messana and see if she can change it.

-Arroth
  • Blind_OttoBlind_Otto Posts: 11
    edited March 2018
    If you are using the Classic Client with UOAssist, and if you know any programming language that is capable of subclassing, then there is an option. Some years back, the API for UOAssist was published. Now, I can only find it on things like the wayback machine - but here you go. This allows you to hook into UO Events - and since it's via an approved app, you shouldn't have a problem. This enables you to monitor when skills change, and, if you know your stuff, log the changes to a database. I did this some years ago, and it worked nicely, but for obvious reasons I can't share the results.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453

@ Rock

Please tell me that is not an actual account name. If it is, I would email Messana and see if she can change it.

My guess is that account is getting brute forced right now. And no, Mesanna can't change someones account name, especially when they were careless enough to display it publicly.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Four things in life you should never share, your woman, your guns, your account name or your account password :)
    edited March 2018

@ Rock

Heh, I guess it would be unwise to include an account name in a post. OTOH, who is to say that is the actual name, and not made up to protect the guilty?  :D As far as my identity goes, I've had a (now outdated) UO page on my website since 2004. I'm not really worried about anyone knowing who I am.

If Garth_Grey is right, and people are trying to "brute force" it, knock yourselves out. Have fun not knowing if you're even wasting your time or not. Heh, if I still had my house you might have got something... (If there is a real account with that name, um ... sorry?) I think I'll change that field name though, to "Account Number" or something.

edited March 2018
    If you are using the Classic Client with UOAssist, and if you know any programming language that is capable of subclassing, then there is an option. ...
    Thanks for the info.  First I've got to build something static, but I'll keep in mind the possibility of making it update "live".

Back in "the day", I never used UOAssist.  I was on an old machine hooked up via analog modem. The last thing I wanted was another program reanalyzing all my game traffic.
  • MadMartyrMadMartyr Posts: 61
    Thing is...the MyUO API provides most of this, it's just undocumented and rarely updated. I've spent time working out the various URLs and parameters for a project I wanted to release that was somewhat similar to this concept, but the age of the data is the showstopper.
    UWF Emissary
    Developer of Ultima Mapper
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,097
    Would make it easier to compile multiple builds if you use the toons name instead.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    Would make it easier to compile multiple builds if you use the toons name instead.
    I'm not sure what you mean.  The toon name is already there, as Name. Are you suggesting another field, such as Build? It sounds like a good idea.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,097
    I thought that was your account name.  So thats why I said change to a toon name.(I may have not seen a name field)

You need to make 7 sheets for each toon you have on the shard.  Each sheet has the name of the toon with all the skills you want and the values.

Relax, let the addiction enter.

Make a Tamer.

Come to LS we will aid you.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.