Client crash on exit causing crash loop on start up (Enhanced Client)

MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
Problem: Enhanced Client won't open
Cause: corrupted file in the My documents folder.
Because this is not a program file neither full file check nor uninstall and reinstall will fix it.

Solution (discovered by MissE)
with client closed, go to My Documents on your pc and re-name the client folder. Open the client, allowing the game to create a new client folder. You can now copy your user data information into the new folder.

Comments

• sibblesibble Posts: 112
    edited August 2020
    Hello,

This didn't work for me.  I also tried reinstalling, deleting all files left after uninstall (user interfaces etc.) as well as the EA Games folder in Documents as you described.

Please help :(

EDIT: This happened after a Windows update.  Is it possible I need to clear the registry?  Where in the registry would I do that?
  • sibblesibble Posts: 112
    NVIDIA driver update fixed it for me.
  • I tore my hair out for months when my client crashed. Tried everything and this was my answer.
    https://forums.uo.com/discussion/6942/enhanced-client-wont-open-today#latest
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes."
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    The above problem occurs when the client crashes due to power outage or similar, not exiting correctly like just clicking the X instead of actually logging/exiting out correctly.  I know it has worked a few times to fix the problem.  Solution is save your user data file somewhere, rename the client file SA Enhanced Client to something else then open client and log in.  You can copy your user data folder back in to save your macros etc.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • I'm having this issue w/ Windows 10, too! EC only -- CC works fine. I've done clean re-installs like 10 times. I even reinstalled windows. I've renamed the client file. Any suggestions would be awesome!
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Re installing will affect the program files, but not the character files found in the 'documents' folder of your pc. As Miss E found, it's those files that are often at the route of the problem.
  • Hey Mariah! I’ve done that as well. I’ve even gone so far as to completely remove them and add them to a stick drive. For some reason when I got Windows 10, the enhanced client just stops after patch screen. (But it’ll still show under task list)
  • DrizztDrizzt Posts: 12
    Grrrr...I started off early in the game when only CC was available, but now since EC I won't play anything else. I have Windows 10 as well and dread if this ever happens to me...unfortunately most of that "recommended" programing recommendations is WAY over my head...and with as MANY peeps struggling with this issue due to Windows 10 standard system updates, it sounds as though this is a serious Dev issue...broadswords game needs to comply with standard operating systems...PLAIN & SIMPLE. It's what we spend month after month paying for...for the game to properly function based on the standard operating system. If I couldn't play EC (if this happens to me), broadsword would find 6 less monthly subscribers, as I refuse to go back to jubled up messy CC.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    LOL  A pre whine on a thread that is one year old and Windows 10 has had updates since then and we do not hear anybody else posting about this but you and it hasn't even affected you, LMAO.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    Drizzt said:
    Grrrr...I started off early in the game when only CC was available, but now since EC I won't play anything else. I have Windows 10 as well and dread if this ever happens to me...unfortunately most of that "recommended" programing recommendations is WAY over my head...and with as MANY peeps struggling with this issue due to Windows 10 standard system updates, it sounds as though this is a serious Dev issue...broadswords game needs to comply with standard operating systems...PLAIN & SIMPLE. It's what we spend month after month paying for...for the game to properly function based on the standard operating system. If I couldn't play EC (if this happens to me), broadsword would find 6 less monthly subscribers, as I refuse to go back to jubled up messy CC.
    I think this happens randomly, once when I installed on a AMD threadripper CPU. I thought it was compatibility issue because it's non-Intel. I reinstalled it many times and failed. Then I tried the fix as described above and finally got it to work. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs