Necromancy pet

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited August 2020 in Skills and Stats
I have an Ossein Ram with Necromancy, (not necro mage). And it does not cast conduit. Does anyone else have a pet with Necromancy (not necro mage) and has observed their pet casting conduit?

My Spider with Necro mage casts it all the time.
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Are you sure necro is active on the ram? They start with battle defense or whatever.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    the difference between a pet with Necromancy and a pet given necromage is that the necro mage has necromancy mastery. Conduit is a mastery spell.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2020
    oh, i thought necromage meant it casted magery spells too no?
    I would have thought training a creature in pure necromancy would allow it to use the necromancy mastery, i'm not sure this is working as intended. @Kyronix

Also, i went to the animal training wiki to do more testing
    and it lists "vampire bat" under necromantic creatures, i went to tame one in umbra and i received a message saying that creature cannot be tamed. Is there something special about it?

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited August 2020
    Norry said:
    Are you sure necro is active on the ram? They start with battle defense or whatever.

yup, also UO-CAH confirms no conduit:

It's quite funny, while trying to confirm one bug with conduit, i potentially find 2 more.

Necromage does allow a few magery spells(thats why it costs so much)
    I would say this is absolutely not working as intended. Because if the pet is casting magery spells & necromancy spells, it doesn't cast both at the same time, it's one or the other, so the chances of a targetted necromancy spell being cast during the duration of conduit are reduced. 

I think they have this backwards, necromage should have no mastery and necro should have the mastery. After all, jack of all trades - master of none. @Kyronix

Well, conduit doesnt do the aoe damage when it does cast a necro spell, so its a waiste really.

The perk is it casts necro spells, andmage spells.
    The corpse skin explode is worth it.
  • Norry said:

The perk is it casts necro spells, andmage spells.
    The corpse skin explode is worth it.
    Except it won't as its majority cold phys damage and pub 100 says no.
    Says no to what? Casting ?
    Ok found it

Pet AI: Necromancy/Necromage no longer casts Corpse Skin if pet’s damage type is physical or cold.

Now, thats stupid. Maybe they should have prioritised explode/flamestrike instead.

But that doesnt affect all pets ::shrug::
    They should’ve just it so corpse skin no longer raises phys and cold resist, as a pvper I can tell you nobody would care if they changed it.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited August 2020
    You have to give a Ram Necro or Necro Mage during training.  They do not come with necro.

They and other pets have placeholder skills so it does not cost so much to add necro or magery.
    If they did not, it would cost 3002 points to make a necromage pet.

Its best to learn how the game works before you proclaim bug and want to change things.  You look at the lore and knowledge screen in black print to see what a Pet can actually use.

The necro magic on pets has been horrible since the beginning of Pub 97.  I told them about the issues of necro pets at the first meet and greet after pub 97.

Conduit shows skulls but does nothing and never has. 

Pet AI has always been horrible.  A pet with necromage will use both magics. But the AI determines what is cast from all those choices.   They are not smart enough to cast corpse skin and then use a fire magic spell.

A Chiv pet only uses consecrate for 1 hit, but it costs full mana.  They also turn EoO on and off.  They may decide to turn it on and turn it on again in two consecutive hits and do no damage, just spend mana for each. (EoO turns off when used a second time, just like with toons)
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited August 2020
    I have given the ram Necromancy, you should read before soap boxing.

edited August 2020
    Necromastry pets cast conduit.  It just doesn't do anything except show the area with skulls.

You started with:
    Mervyn said:
    I have an Ossein Ram with Necromancy, (not necro mage). And it does not cast conduit. Does anyone else have a pet with Necromancy (not necro mage) and has observed their pet casting conduit?

Either you didn't activate Necro or you did not wait long enough.  If you are using EC, I dont know what the graphic is.
    edited August 2020
    My pet is 120 necro, 120 spirit speak. I’ve had it for over a year? How much longer should I wait. And UO-CAH confirms.

For the second time, please read the thread before posting. Or prove it, show me a screenshot with your necro pet casting it. You should test things with pets before posting..

@Mariah any update on my vampire bat issue?

The list of creature types comes from here:

edited August 2020
    @Kyronix one for you then 

am intrigued about this “dark steed” & “silver steed” though.

I believe those lists cover every creature under that category whether they are tameable or not. Toxic slith isn't tameable.
    Dark Steed & Wolf and Silver Steed & Wolf are really, really old obsolete creatures that were part of the 'hero/ evil'  system on Siege Perilous.

edited August 2020
    what? I think there are more monsters/creatures than that..., it's supposed to list tameables only. This is the animal training menu.

• Love it, the imp didn't even make the list hahaha.  Poor fellas been kicked to the curb.  Slot increase, useless pack instinct and no recognition for being magical. 

Which dev was routinely killed by these things?
  • Pawain said:
    Necromastry pets cast conduit.  It just doesn't do anything except show the area with skulls.

You started with:
    Mervyn said:

Either you didn't activate Necro or you did not wait long enough.  If you are using EC, I dont know what the graphic is.
    @Pawain - How do you "Activate" Necro?  I'm training my first necro pet :) 
    Choose it as a magic.

You can also use a Tsuki Wolf.