Gargoyle equivilent items, and conversion

CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

This question comes up so much - can "Item X" be converted to a Gargoyle item?

And then everyone is guessing, or saying, I've never seen one, maybe it drops as a human/garg item when you hunt it, maybe you can convert it at Vrulkax the Exalted Artificer at the Crafting Plaza in the Royal City, maybe a tailor can convert it, you can get that one as a Blackthorn artifact, etc.

Is it possible to have a complete definitive list/answer on this subject somewhere please?

Does it already exist?

If need be, can the Devs tidy this area up a bit? It's really confusing for players.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    There is a page on the wiki, called 'altering', and a search for that word will find it. Here's a link https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/altering/
    if anyone feels something should be added to that I'll be happy to do so.

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited August 2020

Hi Mariah, thanks for that, that's pretty helpful.

It's a bit confusing, but I think I get it. Your list is extensive regarding Crafted Items, and Doom Recipes.

Is there anything else is probably my question? For example any Artefacts that can be converted? For example - Hat of the Magi? Or Scholars Halo? I note Doom Recipes can be converted at Vrulkax, such as Dr Spectre's Lenses which are crafted using the Hat of the Magi. I also realise they are headgear, and Gargoyles don't use headgear as such. The answer is probably No, but I was never sure on some. For example - Shanty's Waders that actually can spawn as both Human or Gargoyle, and Hephaetus Shield - can these be altered if you wanted to, or they are stuck as what they spawned as?

And Bows to Throwing weapons, can any of them be converted? Again the answer is probably No, but there are some items like Blight of the Tundra, that again are available to both races, while others are not. I often wonder if Bows can be converted. For example - to my knowledge Halawa's Hunting Bow is only available as a Human item, or am I incorrect there? (Whereas other Items from Shadowguard can come in both forms)

While I'm at it, is there any way to convert an item back to Human Usage? :)

Thanks for your help.

Edit - Just to add, as I have read a bit closer, I note that under Smith Items you mention that Helmets cannot be converted, is this the case for Tailor Items also, Hats cannot be converted? That would probably solve some of the questions, I don't think you have specifically mentioned Hats under Tailor Alterations. Ahh, although you do say No Clothing Items. Ok, getting it a bit more.

Halawa's hunting bow can spawn as a soulglaive
    I'm afraid I don't own a pair of shanty's waders, nor a hephaetus shield or I could copy them to test center to check that one.
    Sadly there is no way back once altered. Gargoyle items cannot be altered to convert to human/elf.

edited August 2020

I think I get most of it now, haha. That page was helpful. From a Developer point of view - I do think it could all use a little bit of tidying up - bearing in mind some of the additional questions/ points I made. Topics such as this, do add a layer of complexity where I am not sure it is needed so much.

Thanks for your help, I'm good now. :)

edited August 2020
    When you attempt to alter an item there is a system message warning that the change cannot be undone.
    Bows to throwing weapons I don't think could be done. For Shadowguard, there is an item with the same name, but the stats aren't identical, I am guessing that's because of things like 2 hand to 1 hand, different range and different damage, weapon speed. A straight forward cosmetic change wouldn't be possible.

I copied some 'boots of escaping', I was able to alter those.
    Gargoyles don't wear headgear, but they do wear glasses, which is why the lenses can be converted.

Understood, this question does get asked so much by newer guys, and often I cannot answer myself, I think I can now.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2020
    Hephaestus most definitely spawns as a garg version sometimes, so unlikely you can alter the human version. (just sold one sorry) do you not get them though on TC when you say give arties?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Mervyn said:
    Hephaestus most definitely spawns as a garg version sometimes, so unlikely you can alter the human version. (just sold one sorry) do you not get them though on TC when you say give arties?

Yeah you do Mervyn, I realise it can be tested on Test.

I've only ever been to test centre once, I have no clue how to use it really, mainly been busy actually playing the game.

I understand the answers now as such, now, I just think it's an area that could be tidied up a little, it seems to be more complicated than it needs to be, it could be simplified as a system.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Gargoyles could really use a little love having one less armor slot makes suit building tougher than it should be .....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    McDougle said:
    Gargoyles could really use a little love having one less armor slot makes suit building tougher than it should be .....

They have the same number of slots as any race.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited August 2020

Ok, this was a surprise, a guildmate tested this on Test Centre.

Turns out the Scholars Halo from Doom does in fact convert into Earrings.

sss.png 77.3K
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Are there any artifacts that cannot be converted into gargoyle or is not available for a gargoyle? 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• VolrathVolrath Posts: 12
    Mervyn said:
    Are there any artifacts that cannot be converted into gargoyle or is not available for a gargoyle? 
    The inquistor's resolution?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Mervyn said:

Hawkwind Robe?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited August 2020
    All doom upgrade artifacts can be converted by Vrulkax
    of the older artifacts only some can be altered. This includes
    • footwear, shanty's waders, minax sandals, Detective of the royal guard boots (Replica), pads of the cu sidhe, soles of providence.
    • Sashes, Lieutenant of the Royal Britannia guard (replica), corgul's enchanted sash, sash of warding.
    • Back slot items, Royal Guard investigator, quiver of rage, quiver of elements, quiver of infinity, Juma's sacred hide
    • glasses. Brightsight lenses.
    This is not a definitive list, only items I owned and could copy to test center or were accessible via the 'give arties' command on test.

• MordredMordred Posts: 102
    They should allow us to convert the Mask of Khal Ankur, You cant find  any available for sale for Gargs and you cant convert the same way you can convert Halos.
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    Mordred said:
    They should allow us to convert the Mask of Khal Ankur, You cant find  any available for sale for Gargs and you cant convert the same way you can convert Halos.
    Instead of mask of khal ankur... Gargoyles have pendant of khal ankur.... Are you saying that what you wanna be able to do is convert the mask to glasses or earrings for a head piece and be able to wear it as both neck and mask? Then humans should be able to alter the gargoyle version so we could wear both lol.
  • VolrathVolrath Posts: 12
    Seth said:
    Mervyn said:

Hawkwind Robe?

Tabards of virtue
    RockStaR said:
    Mordred said:
    Instead of mask of khal ankur... Gargoyles have pendant of khal ankur.... Are you saying that what you wanna be able to do is convert the mask to glasses or earrings for a head piece and be able to wear it as both neck and mask? Then humans should be able to alter the gargoyle version so we could wear both lol.
    This would open it up for being able to wear both at the same time... No way should gargoyles be able to have pendant and then alter the mask... Hpi 20 LMC 20 and max EP in 2 items needing no EP on jewel set or talisman.... 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Mordred said:

I have the gargoyle pendant for sale in Atlantic, its just too expensive. :#
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    Mordred said:

I have the gargoyle pendant for sale in Atlantic, its just too expensive. :#
    Right. Gargs have khal ankur piece too... No need to make it so mask can be altered cuz you would literally be able to wear both at the same time.... Reminds me of crimson cincture and then that full apron event item with same mods as crimson... Could wear both at same time.
    You should read before say anything @RockStaR
    Halos for Human - Become Earrings after you convert
    MASK of Khaldun - CANT be altered to Earrings and THAT is what I am asking for!

Mordred said:
    You should read before say anything @ RockStaR
    Halos for Human - Become Earrings after you convert
    MASK of Khaldun - CANT be altered to Earrings and THAT is what I am asking for!

So if mask can be altered then it would take head slot.... Gargs got pendant.... Which takes neck slot....  It earrings/glasses take head slot... Pendant takes neck slot.... Devs most likely left it so it can't be altered because of that reason.... Only reason I see people who want it altered is so they can wear both. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Mariah said:
    • footwear, shanty's waders, minax sandals, Detective of the royal guard boots (Replica), pads of the cu sidhe, soles of providence.
    Pads of the cu sidhe?

Mariah said:
    Pads of the cu sidhe?

Yes, I guess you can convert them and by wearing them will make the CU Fly   LOL 

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    hahaha
    neither spell woven britches or kelp leggings can be altered
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    McDougle said:

-Arroth
    McDougle said:

i tried and took to guy in royal city :)

where am i going wrong?