Bragging about cheating

jazz_handsjazz_hands Posts: 27
edited June 2020 in PvP / VvV
Was at yew gate Atlantic yesterday and a guy from GOD told another complaining player. "When you learn to code, you can cheat too". POS, guess I'll take care of it.

Comments

• sibblesibble Posts: 112
    edited June 2020
    They should encrypt something into the original CC and EC clients so that when a player is checked online they can be validated with whatever encrypted function they added.

Ones that don't validate mean they're using a 3rd party program - and should be punished.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    I couldn't agree more, it also shouldn't require a GM to be paged either, it should automatically be flagged.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • drindethdrindeth Posts: 24
    i promise you if they start purging people who use 3rd party programs you will have mabey 2/3rd of the player base. the ui and macro system as default is awful, you need 3rd party help if broadsword wont make changes.

its like the riots in real life recently. 

the government  (consider this broadword) wont give the people (consider this the players) what they feel they need and deserve. so the people protest (general quality of life changes in programs that dont really give an unfair advantage) and riot (afk scripting/bot pvp) to show the government you need to fix this or we will continue to revolt untill you work with us a little.

but before you purge the already low player base. you need to take a good hard look at the game and see what can be done to make it more reasonable. to make it so people dont feel the need to use 3rd party programs in the first place. some of the features on them are out of line i can agree with that. but a lot of them have quality of life changes that should have been in the game for a long time. especially if you just prefer classic client over enhanced. 

really they should do like warcraft or even some free servers. consider all the programs features and block the ones that are completely out of line. this way players are able to choose the features they think they need and and broadsword dosnt have to spend money or time on coding it. that would make banning the severe cases or even unaproved programs much more justifiable and they wouldnt take as big of a playerbase hit.

i think some scripting should be allowed. others should not that is a difficult thing, and pretty much opinion based as to which is good and which is bad

we need to remember tho this is a very old game that is for a very niche player. i cant even imagine what the budget looks like. most of us probly make more in a month than ea gives to broadsword for uo and.... the other game .... warhammer? 

sorry my posts are always long. just my opinions. 

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2020
    I famously used to have a no cheating policy when I used to be a GM of a guild. 

However, now, I have to agree with Drindeth. As much as I'd like it to be, UO is not a console game, and everything is very customisable. 

I obviously dislike speedhackers. But currently, I have installed and running when I play:
    UOAssist
    UOVMC (mapping program to link CC/EC clients)
    Discord (to communicate with guild members)
    Pingzapper (recently subscribed to, to lower ping to Atlantic server)

And I am the most squeaky clean player I know.

I have to say I would not recommend to a friend to download UOAssist, because there is a macro limit of 16 which is not enough, and there are a few bugs in it that I've emailed Tugsoft about but never received a response. 

edited by Mariah
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Now curious Lol what was edited and why hmmm
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2020
    Please note, my comment was edited and what remains is completely out of context, the main substantial body and point of my post has been removed. So please disregard the post. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Why are you editing players posts? Either delete the whole damn thing or leave it alone! This forum continues to amaze me. It must be all rosy or nothing at all. SMH
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Now I’m very curious lol 
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    yea you cant say what programs are considered cheats on THIS forum, but ingame you can use WHATEVER you want, no biggie ...
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865

yea you cant say what programs are considered cheats on THIS forum, but ingame you can use WHATEVER you want, no biggie ...
       I know, it's sad A F isn't it?

It feels like the only people that don't know what these 'cheat programs' are, are the devs.  I'd say 80-95% of UO players are using one or more programs deemed a cheat.

When you ask why they use it, they use the excuse 'because everyone else does', or 'I need it to level the playing field'...  the best is when they say '<program name> offers no unfair advantages', which would defeat the purpose of using said program in the first place.

I'd say most of the players in UO have been far beyond the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' point.  I guess that's what happens when it goes on without repercussion for so long.

Since nothing seems to be done about it, the best thing you can do is learn how to exploit the cheats, then they're easy to beat (in fel...) for the most part... unfortunately that means tinkering around with the 'cheat' yourself...  That's how we (a guildy and I) managed to report & have the devs fix the gen-chat crash going on a few years ago.

I'd imagine there would be ways to crash the clients of people using X illegal program(s) or X illegal client(s), but I'd also assume doing so could get you in trouble as well, even though that kind of 'Cleaning up' (even if done by the players) should be justified.   I doubt it would.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    No worries, we’ll have that updated list of Approved 3rd Party Programs any day now...